Start by marking “Christmas Every Day” as Want to Read:
Christmas Every Day

Christmas Every Day

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
"'Here is a charming Christmas tale. Read this to your little one.' I took the book from her outstretched arm and examined the title, Christmas Every Day by William Dean Howells." So wrote Richard Paul Evans in his bestselling The Christmas Box, which captivated millions of readers across America, awakening hearts to the often forgotten true meaning of Christmas. Now, at l ...more
Published November 1st 1996 by Atria Books (first published 1892)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Every Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Every Day

Pamela
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh what a lovely discovery! While pursuing the shelves at a sister library I came upon this little tome among Christmas books featured on an end cap display. I don't know about you, but there's something indescribably wonderful about holding in hand a timeless classic penned century past.

Originally published in 1908, Christmas Every Day is part Christmas viginette, farther/daughter story, and an ethics fable all rolled into one charmingly cautionary tale. Strength carried to excess becomes weakn
Elizabeth
Well it's interesting; I'll say that much for it. But it's also cynical and sad. A Christmas story about a little girl who can visit a magical wish-granting Christmas fairy still misses the wonder that such a tale might evoke, and it turns into an obvious moral lesson. I thought it was pretty depressing.

That said, the framing device—a harried father telling the story to his daughter (who keeps poking him)—really makes it work. The father and daughter are interesting, and these parts are really f
Jenny
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This is a charming story. Enjoyable for any age.
Scott
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: flat-capped
“The little girl came into her papa's study, as she always did Saturday morning before breakfast, and asked for a story. He tried to beg off that morning, for he was very busy, but she would not let him. So he began” It is the perfect way to start any story a father reading to his little girl. I am not a father but it is my profound wish that I may one day be one and I have often imaged reading books out loud at bedtime or by the fire at Christmas. This is what I thought about while reading this ...more
Satu
The first two sections are on The Third Day of Craftlit. I went to Librivox and got the rest of the book to listen too. The train story was really delightful until the end. I didn't care for the end or the moral. Pony engine in deed.
Heidi
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A sweet short story about a little girl who begs her father to tell her a Christmas story. He tells her a story of a little girl who asks the Christmas Fairy for Christmas every day. He uses the story to teach her a moral lesson about greed.

This is a story published in the early 1900s and forgotten. It was published once again after Richard Paul Evans used it in his novel The Christmas Box.
Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya

~GREEDY?!~

Such a sweet short story about a girl and her father, telling a little "horror" fairy tale! Little girls and people in general are like "pigs" and want only good stuff all the time, lol. But we can know light only thanks to the shadow and even the dark...

Victoria Evangelina
Theresa
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, classics
I'll admit the first story was kind of cute. I've heard it before, but not quite that way. The story of what would happen if every day was Christmas.

The other three stories were pretty dull , bordering on dreadful. It was moralistic tales being interrupted by the children they were being told to.
Jenny
Dec 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jenny by: quoted in "The Christmas Box"
Shelves: christmas
A fun quick read. I think I was expecting more from it but it was cute, especially to see the funny interaction between father and daughter. A sweet message about the relationships you can have with your children.
April Suter
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read by Richard Paul Evans...cool :-)
To explain in easy terms it is a story like Groundhog Day when Christmas is every day and you learn how precious the season is and to treasure it BECAUSE God loves us so much He sent His Son to save us.
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This was the tiniest little book (4x6 maybe). A forward by Richard Paul Evans (I hadn't remembered this Christmas Every Day story being read by the Dad in his novel The Christmas Box). A timeless Christmas story of old (1908 last printing), maybe the oldest story I've read, after the Bible!
Patrick
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very short story but a great Christmas story to tell the kids. I had gotten this book for Christmas when I was a kid and my mom read it to me and I thought it was a nice Christmas tale to read on Christmas Eve.

If you have kids or nieces or nephews this a perfect story to tell them.
Alicia
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of our favorite Christmas stories!
Caroline Bennett
Fun short story.
Eileen
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars (liked it)

A cute short story about a father telling his daughter the tale of a girl who had made a wish that it be Christmas every day.
Liz
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute little story.
Sere1nella
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A parte il racconto "Tacchini che invertono i ruoli" che non mi ha entusiasmato, gli altri sono davvero stupendi!
Kathy
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
quick read, great to read to children.
Margie
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short story about a girl whose father tells her a story daily. She tells him she wants Christmas everyday. What happens when she gets her wish.
Trish
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book has a good moral lesson to it. It was the book that the father read to his daughter in the book "The Christmas Box".
This book was meeeehhhh. I guess a good lesson, but I just didn't like the illustrations. They were kind of ugly.

Whatever.
Cindy
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keepers
boutique book
Terry S
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short story with a cute message.
Terri
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Holly Claus: The Christmas Princess
  • The House Without a Christmas Tree
  • Old Christmas: From the Sketch Book
  • The Twenty-four Days Before Christmas (Austin Family, #2.5)
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • A Small Miracle
  • The First Gift of Christmas
  • The Amazing Christmas Extravaganza (Bookshelf)
  • Christmas Treasury
  • Christmas with Anne and Other Holiday Stories
  • The Donkey's Dream
  • Angela and the Baby Jesus
  • Angelina's Christmas
Willam Dean Howells was a novelist, short story writer, magazine editor, and mentor who wrote for various magazines, including the Atlantic Monthly and Harper's Magazine.

In January 1866 James Fields offered him the assistant editor role at the Atlantic Monthly. Howells accepted after successfully negotiating for a higher salary, but was frustrated by Fields's close supervision. Howells was made e
“I don't know,” said the papa. “We shall just have to keep on and see. Perhaps when they meet the Prince and Princess we shall find out. I don't suppose a boy would fall in love with a boy.” “No,” said the niece; “but he might want to go off with him and have fun, or something.” “That's true,” said the papa. “We've got to all watch out.” 0 likes