Start by marking “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Revised Ed: Democracy, the Internet, and the Overthrow of Everything” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
When Joe Trippi signed on to manage Howard Dean's 2004 presidential campaign, the long-shot candidate had 432 known supporters and $100,000 in the bank. Within a year the most obscure horse in the field was the front-runner, with $50 million in the campaign till, thanks to Trippi and his team. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised is the incredible story of how Joe Trippi's ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Revised Ed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Revised Ed

properfalse
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm genuinely enjoying this, especially because it's one of the first politics/info-tech books I've read where the author actually knows enough about both topics to combine them without a lot of awkward flailing. (Usually it's either "Here's how political campaigns worked in the 80's! Somehow the internets will change this! TWITTER!" or, "Here is how the internet works and social networking and oh oh oh check this out and oh by the way perhaps politicians might use this somehow TWITTER!") Trippi ...more
Elaine
Mar 30, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find some of these political autobiographies/treatises to be slightly repetitive, and this one is no different. Still, it is pretty exhilerating to read Howard Dean's former campaign manager Joe Trippi's account of how the Internet revolutionized politics and how it took hold of Dean--himself an Internet neophyte. This book will make a good primary source when future historians are looking at the rise of Internet and its impact on community involvement and political participation. When one thi ...more
Will Byrnes
Trippi was campaign manager for Howard Dean for most of his presidential campaign. There is a lot in here about how the Internet came of age as a political tool. Trippi sees this as a truly revolutionary event, shifting power from on high to a much broader base. He takes extreme joy in recounting incidents in which bloggers had immediate impact on the campaign, making it the most interactive such campaign to date. I expect he sees himself in the role of midwife to the birth of a new political ex ...more
Troy Hill
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very insightful combination of memoir and political strategy coming of age in the internet era. Trippi's first person narrative is a fun and fast read of the Howard Dean campaign that not only brings to life the personalities of the campaign, but also showcases the web's first campaign for President. The 2008 Afterward shows how the Obama campaign not only read his book, but was able to hand Trippi's campaign for John Edwards their own version of how to build a bottom-up campaign.
Ryan Ohlson
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, part memoir of the Howard Dean presidential campaign, part blueprint for the future of politics and the internet, is an engaging and interesting read. Joe Trippi shows how the internet is one of the best things to happen to democracy. This thought-provoking book will make anyone get involved in our electoral process, and shows how people have the power to take our country back.
Karen
Jun 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really cool look into the life of a campaign manager on the presidential campaign trail. Also explores the innovative use of the internet and how it affected Howard Dean's bid for President in 2004.
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peggy, Stephen, Gary
Shelves: political
I don't read political stuff... but this is keeping me interested. **update** I finished it and mailed it to a friend. I liked that it was pep-talk-like in its ability to get me fired up for politics. Which I am normally not. At all. For either or any side. So, it was really good.
Jim Twombly
Much of the technology predictions are, obviously, out of date, but his recollections of the Dean campaign were great and brought back a great many memories.
Doug Cannon
An excellent book with great insights. The information age has changed the face of politics and government forever. Those who have not embraced the information age will be punished by it.
Garrett
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review can be read here: http://ggrieb.wordpress.com/2008/12/0...
Dawn Henri
Couldn't quite get into it. will try again later. will keep an eye out for it at second hand book sales. need more time w it.
Colleen
I'm reading the revised edition that came out the end of September.
Johnny Ryan
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic.
Russ
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Don't read this if you are not already a Joe Trippi fan, as the book is more about his greatness and hard work than it is about using the Internet for political gain.
James
Apr 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Friend Michael McGeary made me read this and it was very, very good. Yes, it has an pretty liberal tilt. Still, check it out if you're into politics at all.
Amanda Nan Dillon
Was assigned this as a semester project for Campaign Analysis. It's what turned me on to social media. I met Trippi at a Twitter conference 8 years later and totally fangirled my little heart out.
Pamela
May 29, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trippi is crazy.
Trumagic
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brilliant, Joe Trippi gives an inside view to campaigning in the digital age.
Jacob
Feb 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bottom-Up strategy. Let the people do the work. It's what they want.
Andrew
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know what it's like to work on a Presidential Election Campaign, read this book! It is a wonderful read!
Chris Hall
I didn't actually read this, but Goodreads seems to lack a way to remove books you accidentally say you are reading.
Kari Chisholm
Danny
Feb 05, 2008
Erich
Feb 20, 2012
  • Crashing the Gate: Netroots, Grassroots, and the Rise of People-Powered Politics
  • Talking Right: How Conservatives Turned Liberalism into a Tax-Raising, Latte-Drinking, Sushi-Eating, Volvo-Driving, New York Times-Reading, Body-Piercing, Hollywood-Loving, Left-Wing Freak Show
  • The Political Brain: The Role of Emotion in Deciding the Fate of the Nation
  • The Influentials: One American in Ten Tells the Other Nine How to Vote, Where to Eat, and What to Buy
  • Losing America: Confronting a Reckless and Arrogant Presidency
  • The Virtual Community: Homesteading on the Electronic Frontier
  • The Hacker Ethic: A Radical Approach to the Philosophy of Business
  • The Bush Dyslexicon: Observations on a National Disorder
  • Who Will Tell the People: The Betrayal of American Democracy
  • Fortunate Son: George W. Bush and the Making of an American President
  • Wrestling with Moses: How Jane Jacobs Took On New York's Master Builder and Transformed the American City
  • We the Media: Grassroots Journalism by the People, for the People
  • The Victory Lab: The Secret Science of Winning Campaigns
  • Food Fight: The Inside Story of the Food Industry, America's Obesity Crisis, and What We Can Do about It
  • Spreadable Media: Creating Value and Meaning in a Networked Culture (Postmillennial Pop)
  • Better Together: Restoring the American Community
  • Just How Stupid Are We?: Facing the Truth About the American Voter
  • POP!: Stand Out in Any Crowd
“I'd learned something important about politics Kennedy-style: The cause was everything. Win or lose, spend yourself completely, leave nothing on the table, not even your health. Losing would be painful, but not as painful as knowing there was something else you could've done.” 1 likes