Start by marking “Queer and Trans Artists of Color: Stories of Some of Our Lives” as Want to Read:
Queer and Trans Artists of Color: Stories of Some of Our Lives

Queer and Trans Artists of Color: Stories of Some of Our Lives

A collection of sixteen unique and honest conversations you won't read anywhere else... Mixed-race queer art activist Nia King left a full-time job in an effort to center her life around making art. Grappling with questions of purpose, survival, and compromise, she started a podcast called We Want the Airwaves in order to pick the brains of fellow queer and trans artists o ...more
Published June 5th 2014 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Queer and Trans Artists of Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queer and Trans Artists of Color

Mel Bossa
A wake-up call. Eye-opening. Healing. Soothing. Amazing. I learned so much.
Alenka
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is an incredible, must-read for anyone interested in creating political art, or doing community organizing. Nia is a wonderful interviewer and lets each artist share their stories in a way that truly lets their passion shine through. This book is chock full of good advice, and will guide you to other books and works of art created by queer and trans people of color. Nia King is amazing, read this and fund her indiegogo for her second book!
Lance
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much of what I needed. My biggest complaint is that it was too short. Nia King is definitely one of my personal role models, so I was super excited to hear about the creation of this book. The only thing better than getting to read a book written by someone you look up to so much, is getting to read a book filled with interviews filled with more people you admire! I'll admit the interview style to writing isn't always my first choice -- I'm really comfortable reading novels and ...more
MariNaomi
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Each of these interviews is strong, thoughtful, intelligent and eye-opening. It's a book that ought to be required reading for new artists finding their footing, people who want to make a difference in the world, people who want tips on how to be inclusive, people who want to learn deeper compassion, people who are struggling to find (or project) their voice, and...well, everybody really. Highly recommended.
Mills College Library
709.22 Q382 2014
Joseph
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer
Jaysen
This book was AMAZING.

I was worried I might not like the structure of it - I didn’t read the summary of what this book was about because I knew I wanted to read it based on the title alone, but I didn’t realize that it would be a book of interviews.

It didn’t end of bothering me at all, and even if it had, I was too enthralled by the opinions of all of these wonderful artists to care. It’s clear that they all were very thoughtful about their responses, and I just really felt what a lot of them
Sawyer Lovett
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of Nia’s podcast (and her own personal work) since I met her at Brooklyn Zine Fest last year. This book is interviews transcribed from her podcast. It is as brilliant, beautiful, and diverse as the people being interviewed. There is at least a nugget of good advice or insight in each of these interviews that most people will relate to and several of them will either inspire you to look the artist up or to create something amazing of your own.
Tammy
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this book in the bathroom of a queer-friendly coop I was a house guest in, in a stack of books with the Sandman and Notes from Gaza.
These interviews are honest. They are soulful. They are about art and race and sexuality and light up in a million spots for me. There's practical advice within, too, but above all this book inspires because it shines minority artists in the spotlight and showers aspiring artists with role models.
JJ Hawkins
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Taken from the hearts of some of the most inspiring demographic. Entrancing with its vulnerability, empowering with its diversity.
Hannah
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
within the stories of queer & trans artists of color, these interviews touch on formal education or not, paying for art and artistic work, communal care and self-care, dis/ability. essential reading.
Roberta Emerson
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I found the book a challenging read for a couple of reasons. The facilitator for the Diversity Book Club helped with one of them by posting links and articles showing some of the contributors’ work. I had never heard of them; queers in theatre, film, and literature, as well as friends, are all I’ve known. The second issue was that these artists exist in primarily insular communities in LA, NYC, or the Bay Area. Their presence and activism, even with the Internet, is local geographically as well ...more
mica-micare
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone who normally finds interviews pretty difficult to read, I was surprised at how smoothly this book read. It's an interesting selection of interviews from a variety of people who identify as QTPOC and who work as artists - in a variety of different media.
chloe knott
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so enticing that I read it in one sitting! King made the interviews gripping and interesting and asked questions that really pulled at my heart. It was so incredible to be able to connect with the artists through the pages of a book!
cat
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
LOVED this book of interviews with QTPOC artist activists - many that have been heroes to me for years. So much great stuff to dig into in this time of resistance.
Liz Yerby
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So good
Svetlana
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtfully edited, meticulously put together, interesting, funny, sweet, sad. Everyone should read this!
Shauna
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Through her podcast “We Want the Airwaves,” Nia King documents artists who identify as QTPOC (queer and trans people of color) and are committed to art as a tool for political change. Queer and Trans Artists of Color: Stories of Some of Our Lives collects 16 interviews from the podcast to highlight in print. The anthology covers quite a bit of territory without losing both the specificity of each collaborator’s tale or the larger picture of the realities of QTPOC community members. The stories c ...more
Terrilynn Cantlon
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nia King's Queer and Trans Artists of Color: Stories of Some of Our Lives reveals the myriad nuanced real life first person accounts of real Artists and people who are Trans and Queer. Leave your stereotypes and media tropes about Queer and Trans People of Color people behind —and enter the three dimensional world actual people and Artists share about themselves and their Art of living. The reader will learn how Trans and Queer Artists of Color are and have been leading the civil rights revoluti ...more
Tylyn
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A fantastic series of interviews, this book is a stellar read for artists and academics.

Each essay is a transcript of an interview that lead-editor Nia King conducted for her podcast series with different queer and/or trans artists of color, and the selections have been curated masterfully. While certain themes continually appear throughout the book (the prevailing white supremacy of academia, the importance of making the transition to paid artist, etc.), each interview subject gives their own u
Kayla Rosen
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection is vitally important. There's so much wisdom here and so much advice for other artists. I appreciate Nia's attention to behind-the-scenes stuff like paying transcribers to create access and running edited transcripts by interviewees for approval.

This book took me a long time to read because there was so much wonderful stuff to take it, and I quoted from it extensively in my journal.

I particularly love the interviews with Ryka Aoki, Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha, and Lovemme "L
Thomas Hale
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A collection of interviews between Nia King and a range of different folks who fall under the QTPOC umbrella. There are discussions of art, of politics, childhoods both good and bad, abuse and recovery, creation and criticism. Each encounter feels like a snippet of a longer conversation - I'm not sure if that's accurate to how the interviews were transcribed or edited, but for a few interviewees I wasn't sure what exactly they did until it came up halfway through their segment. (Not that that's ...more
Jared Levine
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciated the different perspectives advice, and strategies of everyone included in this collection. At times I felt strong resonance with some of the experience shared, while at others felt awakened to other's perspectives. This was a treasure. I'm so thankful for Nia for putting this all together.
spoon
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this is one of my favorite books-of-interviews to bring around with me, to open up at a random page and read. it's opened up a world full of artists & writers & activists who I hadn't known of before, and for that I'm so so grateful.
Zoe Eileen
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would say this is one of the best books I have read.
Phoebe
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Every time I come across a book like this, which allows me to meet people (and types of people) that I don't often have access to, I count myself lucky.
willowdog
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Transcriptions of video posts interviews of queer and trans artists of color focus almost entirely on the writing process and not enough on the queer or trans aspect of their writing or lives.
Keondra Freemyn
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
an important read.
Erida
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Got me thinking of communal care as an alternative to self-care rhetoric. Most important it was a reminder that we exist. That we are still alive.
Naori
Sep 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Blood, Marriage, Wine, & Glitter
  • Trauma Queen
  • First Person Queer: Who We Are (So Far)
  • I’ve Got a Time Bomb