Start by marking “Green Goes with Everything: Simple Steps to a Healthier Life and a Cleaner Planet ” as Want to Read:

Imagine if your best friend gave you vital information that could protect you and your family, and save you money, and help the planet. Imagine if you were given clear, simple choices, small changes that could have a big impact on your life. And you could still wear leather shoes and deodorant. You'd listen, right?

Well, think of Today show contributor Sloan Barnett as

Published September 23rd 2008 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Green Goes with Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Goes with Everything

Start your review of Green Goes with Everything: Simple Steps to a Healthier Life and a Cleaner Planet
Crystal
Oct 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked this book up so I could learn more about what I can do to "green" up my life. I did learn a bit, but I did not really enjoy this book. I was hopeful at first - the author writes like she is having a conversation with me. Somewhere around the third chapter she began shamelessly promoting her husbands green cleaning product line, and that's where I lost interest.

She presents proof that this product line is better than other green cleaning products, but she doesn't give fair reviews of
Natalie
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
We got this free with a year-end contribution to the EWG. I think I have seen the author on Oprah.

If I'd paid for this book I'd be mad. Entire sections were her promoting Shaklee products (and her husband is the chairman of the company or something like that).

I did learn a few things, which is starting to be less and less frequent with the number of green books I've read. It's a good book for a newbie to green living, although at times a little on the overkill with repeating the bad chemical
Lisa Russell
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was good, with some good ideas and recipes for homemade cleaners, but basically it is a book promoting Shaklee products. I like Shaklee products alot, but I didn't know this is what this book would be discussing and promoting throughout. I expected a little more.
Carla
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Okay - there was too much promoting of her/her husbands products - she is a little over the top but had some good info - glad i didn't pay for the book
Lisa Burrington
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read a lot of these books and since I learned a little something new I give it good reviews, she had some good recipes for body care and cleaners, I want to try the sunscreen out of curiosity but it is still probably easier to buy a natural one on the market that lasts longer
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
When many people think of living green, they think of one's impact on the environment. Yet living a greener lifestyle, including choosing personal care products without harmful chemicals and using nontoxic cleaning products actually has a lot to do with your personal health and wellness. In explaining this, at times Barnett seems over the top, and living a safer, more practical lifestyle seems overwhelming because of the myriad of dangers in popular materials. However, she makes a point that you ...more
Desiree
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent book, would have gotten 5 stars if it were not for the fact that some of it seems like a Shaklee catalog! Not a book about saving energy or reducing your carbon footprint, although there is a bit of that at the end. Most of it is about all the toxic chemicals we are using in our daily lives!

I found it very difficult to read, in that, it talks about all the carcinogens we are all using on a daily basis. I already knew some of the stuff, but was totally freaked out by most of the rest of
Monica
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gave extremely practical ideas that inspired me to change several habits immediately, and brainstorm the changes I want to move toward. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who feels overwhelmed by our environmental problems. I was particularly interested in the chapters about our cleaning supplies and cosmetic products.
Amy
Oct 19, 2008 rated it liked it
For those aren't familiar with this book, it is about going "green" , easy solutions to help you and your family have a healthier, cleaner life while helping the environment. I feel noble just picking up the book. The thing is, I just don't know if I can drink the koolaid on this one. Mainly because it's too much work, not to mention expensive and how about... unrealistic??? Let's take the koolaid, for example. The koolaid would have to be organic koolaid mix (inorganic=toxic), with filtered tap ...more
Stacy
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I am not a green zealot, but the small things do irritate me. Things like rinsing dishes before placing them in the dishwasher, bottled water, and not recycling are like nails on a chalkboard, and yet I am terribly remiss is turning the TV off (I like the noise and constant stream of news). This book does a great job of pointing out some of the big things we miss in our lives that have an impact on our health and the environment.

The main problem with the book is a big one. Barnett is the wife of
Sarah Mummel
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have some issues with this book but it is a masterpiece at the same time. I was hooked to learn how to live simpler and more sustainable. I take issue with her writing. The book raves that she is a journalist which is a paid writer. However, her writing is awful. It reads as if it were meant for elementary school kids with the kind of language she would use in face to face conversation. I was very put off sometimes by how bad her writing skills were. Jokes were very poorly executed and didn't ...more
Claire
Mar 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
The author makes a pitch to become greener by swapping out many of your everyday items that contain all sorts of bad toxins including cleaners, cosmetics, plastics, etc. The book is a fast and easy read, but it overwhelmed me with "scary stats" about how pretty much everything I touch from my clothes, to my tupperware to my mattress is basically going to cause me to get cancer and die. On top of that, the author makes a pitiful pitch to the reader that they need to stop using the cleaning agents ...more
Norma
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Moms, Wives
The author is a bit alarmist but rescues the book from a full-on doom & gloom verdict. This is thanks to tons of factual data - from the Environmental Working Group's research, to FDA publications, European Union laws, petro-chemical company data and medical data. That makes it all more useful and believable. Everything is called by its technical, pharmaceutical, chemical or medical name then promptly balanced by practical advice. For example, phtalates are bad for you. Sloan gives you lists ...more
Hilary
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Good but I had to put it down before I became too obsessive. I know that chemicals are bad and try and eliminate them from my daily life as much as possible. But there are some things I just can't change - wish I could put in hardwood floors in every room in the house and buy natural fiber throw rugs but I don't have the cash. So I stopped reading it because it made me feel bad about the things in my life I could not change. And I didn't appreciate the constant shilling for her husbands company ...more
Katherine
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it
OK, I love Shaklee products and this book was written by the wife of the owner of the company. But I tried to read it objectively and it's an informative read. Sloan is a consumer reporter for NBC and other media and did a good job of making the subject flow. She even endorses other companies when reviewing a few of the products that Shaklee offers. Showing objectivity on her part or are they going to discontinue those products? I don't know the answer to that, but I know the companies she ...more
Susie Chocolate
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was loaned to me by a good friend who had a signed copy from the author, who is a San Francisco based author and also a mother at the same school my children attend so I wanted to read this book.

Very readable with a lot of very interesting information all of us as consumers should know, all broken down into very small snippets. The author is a unabashed supporter of all green cleaning products from from Shaklee Corporation and she states this at the beginning of the book which is a
Chandra
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book on the simple steps to leading a helathier life with a cleaner planet.

Of course I am biased because she is the owners wife of Shaklee, a copmany that I grew up using their products and that my parents sell, but there is only one chapter on Shaklee cleaning products and the rest of the book has very valuable unbiased information.

If you read the book and are interested in Shaklee cleaning products you can order at www.shaklee.net/haveitall.

Nicole
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I was really hoping to learn something new, but I didn't. This book is a good introduction to going green. It's good if you're starting from zero, but if you already live green, you probably won't get a lot new ideas. The author is a big promoter of Shaklee products. She is forthright about her interest in the company, but she appears a little zealous a times. Overall, it's a good read for someone starting out on the green path.
Lori Mercer
Apr 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
At first I learned a lot from this book. But then when I went to check out the products she was promoting, I was completely turned off. Turns out they were Shaklee products, which is an Amway-like multi-level marketing company. No matter if these are the best products or not, the fact that her husband works for them makes her recommendations completely invalid to me. They are more expensive than other, equally safe alternatives.
Veronica
May 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Blech. I had seen this gal on Oprah and I thought the book might give some good suggestions about changing your everyday living to become more green. Instead 30 pages in it turned into a total sales pitch for the authors company which makes, you guessed it, green products! Who knew.

Very annoying.
Nikki
Sep 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Reading this book has given me OCD! I don't know how many times I've said "Did you know that's toxic?" in the past week! It was very informative and eye opening. I'll keep it around as a reference book.
Melissa Weymouth
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Sloan Barnett details all the chemicals that are in household cleaning products, clothes, bedding, food and more! She also describes what those chemicals do to your body. She promotes Shaklee (a chemical free cleaning product company) but also gives you homemade recipes.
Yanellie
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
though of course she promotes shaklee......she also gives the reader easy ways to be "green" w/o breaking your wallet. helps you to decide what your priorities should be when going green and suggests several ways to do so.

Megan
Feb 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Quick read; interesting/scary information about toxic chemicals in the house. But - seemed like an advertisment for Shaklee products - author's husband's company. Makes you a little skeptical....

Note: most of the other reviews/info on Goodreads about this book are under the title Get Clean.
Lyra
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
There is some useful information buried between this extended ad for Shaklee products. Given that her husband works for the company and she has a vested financial interest in the company, I took her advice with a grain of salt. You can find similar info without the commercial bend.
Vanessa
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: helpful beacon for those interested in cultivating sustainable lifestyles
Good book to keep on hand to page back because the author leaves a lot of links and references to help you learn how to cultivate a sustainable lifestyle. It was also nice to know that OPI nail polish is still ok to use but I also found out where I can buy organic nail polish too.
Shannon
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it
I read Sara Snow's "Living Fresh" first and found it an easier read. I ended up skimming a lot of this book, but did find some information new and useful. Overall, I would recommend Snow's book and call it good.
Niki
Feb 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Way preachy on the Skaklee products, HOWEVER brings up really great points about the toxic chemicals we use in our house and expose ourselves to all the time. If you can ignore the gospel there is actually some great information in here.
Padgy
Mar 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
About after reading a third of the book which was ok, she announces that her husband is the CEO for a company that sells green products. The rest of the book appeared to be one big advertisement for his company. I couldn't finish it! Bogus!
Erin
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
this book was nothing but a shameless plug for Shaklee products. the author's husband is the CEO of the company which claims to be green, but none of their ingredients are listed on their product labels. don't waste your time on this crap.

• Southern Cross, Vol. 2: Romulus
  • Body Of Proof
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • The Invited