Start by marking “The Gift of Charms (The Land of Dragor)” as Want to Read:
The Gift of Charms (The Land of Dragor)

Read Book

The Gift of Charms (The Land of Dragor)

In a secret land, far away from the habitation of man, dwell the world's remaining dragons -- hoping the dragsaur beasts have vanished forever. Here they try to live their daily lives, but all is not well and their talents are fading.

Things change, however, when, from a strange egg, Yoshiko is born - a dragon with a unique destiny.

Great adventure lies ahead as many chall
Published September 4th 2014 by Dino Books

Richard
This is a delightful novel about Yoshiko, a young dragon with a difference. Hatched from a remarkable egg, he is regarded as special by some and as cursed by others. In school he is mocked and bullied by some of his classmates. However, he soon finds special mentors and teachers who recognize his abilities, test his endurance and bestow on him a daunting quest. His success or failure may have a lasting effect on the hidden realm of Dragor.

While this may be geared to a youthful audience, it can
Tia
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Gift of Charms by Julia Suzuki
My Rating: 2 Stars
Average rating on Goodreads: 4.39 out of 5 Stars
Pages: 288

Synopsis:

This epic children's novel -- first in the Land of Dragor series -- has appeal for all ages.

It transports the reader to the magical Land of Dragor, where seven dragon clans live hidden from man having beaten off the evil dragsaur beasts. Their great war is over and the dragons live peacefully among the smoking mud pools and around The Fire Which Must Never Go Out, but the terri
Ivey Byrd
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Land of Dragor, where dragons hide from humans, a new era is about to arise. Yoshiko was born from a multicolored egg. There has only been one dragon whose egg was not the normal lilac color, Surion. Some say that because of his odd egg he was cursed because he brought war upon the dragons, this causes Yoshiko’s parents to fear for their son so they keep his special egg a secret. As Yoshiko grows he begins to notice that he is different from all other dragons, he can change color. Soon Y ...more
G.J. Griffiths
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, my-reviews
This charming tale of a young dragon’s coming of age, his trials and tribulations through dragon school and eventual adventure has it all - a fabulous cover, an interesting map and an intriguing plot.

Yoshiko is the young dragon at the centre of the story, which seems to be aimed at children around the age of 9 to 12, and his growth from an egg to a confident young dragon, who eventually meets a human, is pitched so very well. Julia Suzuki weaves much of the story of Yoshiko’s development using d
Elizabeth
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dragons, middle-grade
I was given a copy directly by the author and was absolutely grateful for the opportunity. Thank you!
My first thought about this book was it's intriguing. It really is--the title, the plot, the cover, the map. (Yes, it has a map! And I actually adore it! I have a thing on books with maps and I think that's why I thought this book will be pretty awesome.)
It started okay. Telling a brief history about Dragor and a strange egg with colors of a rainbow given to birth that soon revealed to be Yoshiko
Kirsty ❤️
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely delightful book for adults and children alike. Young Yoshiko starts his new school, makes lots of new friends but starts to feel a little different from the other dragons when he begins to change colour every time he feels stressed. Not helping the stress is the local bully Igorr from another clan, a youngling that is often bullied by his own father. I actually liked the way this character grows throughout the story.

Yoshiko finds out he is destined to help save the land of
Beatriz Silva
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gift of Charms, book 1 in The Land of Dragor series, tells us the story of Yoshiko, a young dragon living among seven clans of other dragons, in which are his family, friends and even enemies. He was different from the beginning: his egg shone every color of the rainbow. Dragons all over Dragor (the land where they all live) had heard about this strange egg being laid, and all of them were curious, however there were mixed opinions about it: some thought he had a great future ahead of him, w ...more
April Wood
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What’s It About?

A long, long time ago, many great creatures roamed the earth. Then, dragsaurs, a dinosaur/dragon super species, became extinct with the dinosaurs. Fortunately, the dragons managed to survive.

Unfortunately, the dragons became slaves to the humans, till the great rebellion, when they all fled to the land of Dragor…

One day, a dragon couple named Ketu and Kiara had a dragon baby, who was born from a strange, multi-colored shell. Rumors spread, and the clan’s Hudrah arrived to take th
Meagan
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic. The perfect Book 1 to a new series: the major plot points are resolved, no cliffhangers at the end - and still plenty of material and enough loose ends to explore in future books! (@Amber Stokes - yes, I already want to land a character interview with the villain. Hee her!)

I've been intrigued with dragons for some time now - from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire's four dragons in one of the Triwizard Tournament tasks, to Eragon's Saphira, and of course The Hobbit's Sma
Rachel Svendsen
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was given a free copy of this by the author and asked to review it.

Let me start with the positives. I have given this book two stars for imagination. The story appeared to be aimed at 8 to 10 year old crowd, and the plot would certainly entertain them. It was cute and original. I applaud the author for her vivid imagination.

The execution however, leaves much to be desired.

This book reads like a first draft by someone who had a great idea, but rushed into publishing before careful review. Her w
Ren nerdychampagne
I received an eBook copy in exchange for an honest review

READ MY REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!

3.5 stars!

The Gift of Charms is my very first dragon story. Ever.
I know. Don't judge me!

It sure is different.

Though I can say that the base story line is pretty much cliche. The usual pathetic progonist who turns out to be really special then wins at life at the end.

The writing was really fine.

ANDDDDDD PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE tell me that this is not part of a series. It's not, right? I like the way it en
Maia Moore
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Original review posted here.

*I have been given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I did want so much to like this book. I read great things about it, but I feel it just did not live up to my expectations. I should also mention that this is more of an MG book than the YA I would normally review, so I did try to take that into account when reading and reviewing.

I found the plot entertaining enough, if not slightly predictable: a young dragon, different from the rest who must cope
Katy
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was given this book by the author to review, which is really cool. It is aimed at a younger audience, but I nonetheless enjoyed it. I will try and write this review so its also aimed at that kind of audience.

The Gift of Charms is a middle-grade adventure novel. It’s a short introduction to a planned Land of Dragor series, but it serves as an interesting and promising beginning to a series.

In the land of Dragor, dragons hide from humans, and live divided into clans based on colour and temperame
Zoe
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic start to the new Dragor series, Yoshiko and the Gift of Charms has certainly convinced me read more of the author's books in the future.

There is a magical land called Dragor, and in that land a mysterious egg is laid. Last time this kind of shell hatched, curses and hardship put the land through a lot of suffrage. But this was centuries ago, surely it can't happen again? The parents are determined not to be superstitious, but when Yoshiko is so different from the rest how can they n
Andy Lane
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I am notorious as being a slow reader, meaning that I can read a book, and put it down for days/weeks/months before starting again where I left off. However, I have read the pre launch copy in a day. I have never read a book that has engaged me so much & wanted to carry on reading until the end.

I think the book is more engaging for young readers, but lovers of the Fantasy genre will enjoy this book immensely. The manner in which the author has expressed emotions of Yoshiko, the young dragon
Skye
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Note: I was sent this book by the author in exchange for a free, and honest review. These opinions are my own, and I was not compensated financially to review this book.

This is Julia Suzuki's first novel, it is a middle grade novel for ages 8+. Set within a fantasy world Yoshiko is a dragon who is born in mysterious circumstances. Instead of being born out of the shell of normal colour, he is hatched out of a rainbow shell. This is disputed to be either a curse or a blessing to the Land of Drago
Robin,
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ARC. I have not been solicited for my review and all opinions contained are my own.

I thoroughly enjoyed the perspective from which the story is told and I'm sure that will appeal to the target audience. It is told from the perspective of a young dragon. I love dragons. It's always fun to see humans described by non-humanoids. We are such silly creatures!

Overall, it has great bones, but poor execution. It took effort for me to stay engrossed in the story line, which bor
Rosie Amber
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Gift of Charms is a children's fantasy story I would suggest a reading age around 9-12 years. The story is about dragons and the hidden land they live in. It opens with the hatching of a special egg and the birth of Yoshiko born to the Nephan clan. There are seven clans in the Land of Dragor and the dragons from each clan vary in colour and special abilities.

We next meet Yoshiko a 10 year old dragon attending his first day of Fire School where he makes both friends and enemies as they are ta
Kathy
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I was sent this for review from the author.*
This book was really well written! The author used great word choice and had beautiful language. The main character Yoshiko was adorable, and I absolutely loved him. I also thought that Suzuki did a wonderful job in terms of description. She had a knack for describing things in such a way that the novel did not drag on, but was still very good. This book was really refreshing to me because I had not read a middle-grade book for quite a while. I am li
Christian Lyne
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great children's book. Don't let this put you off as an adult!!! Even though it's a quick read it's worth going on the adventure and you'll want more!! I would have loved to have a story when I was younger that I could believe really existed in a mysterious hidden land that was also easy to read (sorry JK). My favourite part was definitely the peril at the mountain trial practice. I look forward to the next one!!
David Whovian
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a captivating tale for young readers, and interesting enough to feed the imagination of older fantasy readers as well.
It starts out rather slow, but once the little dragon starts training, the adventure and excitement continue through the rest of the book.
Entertaining and well written!
I look forward to the sequels.
Katie Brock
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
More of a 2.5 but as Goodreads doesn't do half stars this rating will have to suffice. I was actually given this book by the author to read and review so thank you Julia, sorry it's taken me so long!

This book is aimed at children, I definitely say children rather than middle grade as the writing is very simple and easy to read- which is also makes it a little repetitive in places.

The story is great, but it took a long time before the main dragon, Yoshiko, discovered what his fate was- before tha
Tom
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was generously given to me to review by the author. I found that with this book Yoshiko looked like Spyro the Dragon, that's probably just my childhood getting in the way. The story is predominantly what I would think of a children's fantasy, I think that it would be brilliant for a child to read as an introductory book to the fantasy genre. The problem that I found was when I first started reading the book, was that I could not relate to a young dragon, the bits that emphasised that he was ...more
Oh My Bookness
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#BookReview:
The Gift Of Charms (Book 1)
Series: The Land of Dragor
By: Julia Suzuki

Review by: Brittany Perez
April 15, 2014

About The Book:
Book Information
Series title: The Land of Dragor
Book title: The Gift of Charms (Book 1)
Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: John Blake Publishing Ltd, Dino Imprint
ISBN-10: 1782199241
ISBN-13: 978-1782199243
AMAZON READERS MAY NOW PRE-ORDER THE PAPERBACK RELEASE OF ‘THE GIFT OF CHARMS’ AT AMAZON http://tinyurl.com/o95ufw9%0ARelease/... date: 4th September 2014

Book synops
Gemstreet Reviews
3.5/5

*** I was given a copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review ***

Dragor is an isolated valley, the only place on the planet inhabited by dragons and hidden from prying eyes. Here dragons have lived in peace since the great war against the humans and dragsaurs. Now, to stay safe and strong, they ensure their existence stays hidden, and go about their everyday lives. And yet something seems to be missing in their lives, preventing them from feeling completely happy and at ease.

Yos
Ronald
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To begin with The Gift of Charms is a charming book. It lures the reader into a world of Dragons. Original, entertaining and a real treat for readers. The world conjured up by the writer is authentic- and even the fictional world is steeped with history. The author craftily uses the history teacher( Ma’am Sancy- a dragon by the way) to explain to the reader the essential background story needed to understand about the Land of Dragor.

Like any good story it starts with a mysterious birth of a Neph
Silver Petticoat
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviews
Read this review and others at The Silver Petticoat Review: Gift of Charms

Review by Rebecca Lane

This is the first novel in Julia Suzuki’s enchanting Land of Dragor series, and, I must say, it is a fabulous start. Suzuki transports her readers to the magical world of Dragor, a land where seven dragon clans live hidden from the humans who would choose to enslave them. Right off the bat I was sucked in by the surreal descriptions of Dragor and it’s almost ethereal landscape. Suzuki is a magician wi
N. Gosney
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children aged 9-12
I was asked by the author whether or not I would be interested in reading this book and giving my my honest review. Being a writer myself I know that it's a great help having people review your work, so I said I would. Upon briefly reading the first few pages of the book, and reading the synopsis, I recontacted the author to ask whether or not my 9 year old daughter could read it, as she is a) within the target age range, b) an avid bookworm, and c) extremely fond of dragons (particularly red on ...more
Lyrical
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you read a book that is like a big mug of hot chocolate – it’s very satisfying and warms you all the way through – and sometimes those books have some very interesting sprinkles you’ve never seen before and some uniquely coloured marshmallows you’ve never tasted before. That’s how I would describe Yoshiko and the Gift of Charms in a nutshell – or should I say a mug?

Dragons almost always take on the role of sidekick in a fantasy story and are often portrayed either as unruly pets or eth
Johnny Bergman
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Although I am typically into reading Young Adult (YA) books, it’s always good to read other stories from different genres. The Gift of Charms is one of those books that you will want to get your hands on. Even though the book is said to be for 8-12 years old, the story can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

Without giving any spoilers, The Gift of Charms is about a misfit dragon named Yoshiko. Yoshiko lives in a dragon community that is blocked and separated from the human world. While attending s
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Wolf's Story: What Really Happened to Little Red Riding Hood
  • After Hamelin
  • Great White House
  • The Magic Fishbone
  • Doctor Who 50 : the essential guide
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
  • The Girl Who Said Sorry
  • The Bedside Book of Birds: An Avian Miscellany
  • Sleeping Ugly
  • Dragon's Oath (The Blacklands, #1)
  • The Puppet Theatre
  • Fairy Nuff
  • Pieces of Me: Finding Heather Jones
  • Chosen (Chosen, #1)
  • Amadís de Gaula I (Letras Hispánicas, #255)
  • Scary People
  • Wed to a Spy (All the Queen's Spies, #1)
  • Moral Order: The Rise of Luca C. Mariner

About the Author:

Julia Suzuki is a British author of children's and YA literature.

“Dream it. Live it. Love it” 6 likes
“I told you it would be difficult! If I were you I would just not bother trying these tasks! They are great challenges, clearly too great for you.” said Guya, but there was a certain sparkle in his eye as he said it.
“I shall complete your tasks, ” said Yoshiko firmly.
“And I’ll be back sooner than you think!”
With that he spread his wings to head for Fire School. “Oh and one more thing Guya” Yoshiko added. Perhaps when I return you will be so kind as to stop calling me a little dragon!”
As Yoshiko flew off Guya chuckled to himself.”
5 likes