Start by marking “Standing (Waterblaze Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Standing (Waterblaze Trilogy #1)

Standing

(Waterblaze Trilogy #1)

In a future where two tyrants hold the world in an iron grip, humanity is about to meet its doom. An empathic girl from the past is called to action by a group of technologically advanced mermaids. An apocalypse is coming. Along with fellow time traveler, Force, she is sent to the future as the last hope for humanity. The stakes are high, the odds against her. Can she over ...more
Published August 31st 2014 by Double Eagle Media

To ask other readers questions about Standing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standing

Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Thanks to China Dennington for giving this book to review.

Gale has always been afraid of the sea but when she rescues her sister from drowning, she discovers a group of technologically advanced mermaids who need her help. Because of her genes she can travel into the future and the mermaids need her, along with another human Force, to go to 2212 to stop the apocalypse. Will they be able to stop two tyrants before it is too late to go back to their time?

Standing is an enjoyable and unique story as
Jana
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
3.5*

The author kindly provided me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Standing is the first book in a mermaid trilogy, written by China Dennington, who at the time of writing was only thirteen years old. Kudos for that! Anyway, this first book in the trilogy follows Gale, a seventeen-year-old girl who finds that she has the ability to time-travel from mermaids. She travels to the future with fellow time-traveler Force in order to save the world from certain doom.

This book was a rea
Ashley Tomlinson
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
First I would like to say how cool it is that China Dennignton wrote this when she was only thirteen. I've been struggling with writing my book since I was twenty, so kudos to her. It's always gives me inspiration and pushes me harder when I hear about such young authors. It was well written for someone at such a young age and that is the last I will say anything about her age.

Gale is a teenager that finds out she can travel through time, from mermaids. So she agrees to go on a mission with anot
Angelina
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review***

I enjoyed reading this book.

This book is written by a fourteen-year old author, which I found amazing because for someone of a young age to write a book is just awesome and amazing.

This book is basically about a girl, who has the perfect sequence of DNA and can therefore breathe water and therefore go to the underwater world called Dellinia, the home to mermaids. There she meets Force, ano
Lakin
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was very impressed that China Dennington wrote this book at the age thirteen, and published it at the age of fourteen. That takes talent and nerve, which she obviously posseses a lot of! The writing style was beautiful - I really enjoyed her descriptive word choices.

I enjoyed reading Standing. Gale, Force, and all of the other characters were intriguing and relateable. I've always enjoyed empathetic characters, and it was very interesting to see things through the feelings Gale felt from other
Alexandra Rolo
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Standing foi-me enviado pela própria autora que está agora a apresentar o seu livro. Por essa razão este post será traduzido para inglês.
Sereias e viajar no tempo. Parece estranho? É porque é mesmo.
A autora apresenta-nos um típico livro de young adult com uma personagem adolescente como centro da história. A sua escrita necessita ainda de amadurecer bem como a história.
Apesar de ser de rápida leitura e até algo engraçada nota-se que merece uma revisão para acrescentar alguns detalhes já que tudo
Linda Ulleseit
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
For a fourteen year old author, this book is amazing. It has a well-developed world, clear story line, and nice characters. It held my interest to the end, and I enjoyed it very much.

In the greater scheme of things, a reader needs to forget the age of the author and concentrate on the story. That's where this book could use a little more experience. The first couple of chapters are a major information dump with the background story of the world and characters. Way too many passive verbs are used
Sandy
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought the story idea was fantastic! The author is creative and imaginative. I think this story could excel with an editor. A few grammar errors, but not many. I felt the main characters should have been in the 12-14 year range, not late teens / young adults. The majority of the book had a nice pace to it, but I would love to see some areas lengthened with more foreshadowing. For example, when Gale and Force go to the library in Dellinia we loose 2 hours. This is a pivotal life changing momen ...more
Vesper Vesper
May 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf

Standing is a mermaid story. I really wanted to like it because… C’mon, what’s not to like about mermaids? Unfortunately for me (and my brain), I couldn’t even finish it. I actually shelved this book as DNF @ 33% and I only got that far because I really pushed to keep going, hoping it would get better. So let me explain why I didn’t finish it and why I rated it 1-star... (Read more via website)
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mermaids

Well, I loved the cover and the blurb I read. The book is probably really good. However after too many stops, starts, and rereads I give up. I guess this just isn't for me. In a year ...or less I am still only at 25%
Lucy Thorneycroft
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Adrienne
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
was very impressed that China Dennington wrote this book at the age thirteen The writing style was beautiful - I really enjoyed her book.
Maryalice
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
An easy read that shows a lot of thought from a young person with a lot of insight into hunan emotion and a great sense of right and wrong
Austin Ashburn
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
A review for this will be up soon on my YouTube/BookTube channel! :)
rated it it was ok
Callie Mcdonald
Nikki
Anneliese
Apr 06, 2015

• The Tilian Virus (The Pandemic Sequence #1)
  • Terror Cove (Gravediggers, #2)
  • Autumn in the Dark Meadows (Autumn, #2)
  • Beyond the Khrysalis
  • Burning in Water‏ (The Nerita Torlan Trilogy #1)
  • Beautiful Sins: The Divide (The Thaneaddus Chronicles, #4)
  • Empath
  • Those Poor, Poor Bastards (Dead West, #1)
  • Secrets Beneath the Sea (Mermaid Kingdom, #1 - 3)
  • The Heroine's Journey
  • The First Mistake (Cleo North #1)
  • Doing My Part (Home-Front Heroes)
  • The Dead Road: Vol. 1 - Isolation
  • Flame & Stone (Dunning Manor, #1)
  • Destiny Calling (The Enchantlings, #1)
  • To Walk in the Way of Lions (Upper Kingdom, #2)
  • The Sorority: Eve (Sorority Trilogy, #1)
  • Theta Waves Book 1 (Theta Waves #1-3)
China Dennington is eighteen and loving it. She is a student at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia and plans on studying the wonders of history. Her passions include God and upholding women's rights. To keep up with her newest releases follow her at www.ChinaDennington.com