Start by marking “The Precious One” as Want to Read:
The Precious One

The Precious One

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  10,288 ratings  ·  1,319 reviews
From the bestselling author of Belong to Me, Love Walked In, and Falling Together comes a captivating novel about friendship, family, second chances, and the redemptive power of love

In all her life, Eustacia “Taisy” Cleary has given her heart to only three men: her first love, Ben Ransom; her twin brother, Marcus; and Wilson Cleary — professor, inventor, philanderer, self-
Published March 24th 2015 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Precious One, please sign up.
Amanda I'd rate it PG-13. There is a love scene, but it isn't graphic at all. This author focuses attractions much more on description of the human face and…moreI'd rate it PG-13. There is a love scene, but it isn't graphic at all. This author focuses attractions much more on description of the human face and beautiful minds and true love.
There is minimal strong language.
No violence. (less)
Shawn The "precious one" referred to in the book seems (imho) a nod toward both daughters. The first one, abandoned but able to rise above those…moreThe "precious one" referred to in the book seems (imho) a nod toward both daughters. The first one, abandoned but able to rise above those circumstances in the end; and the second one, cherished but totally tainted by the damages done at the hands of Wilson. The first daughter always wanted to be precious, and couldn't see that she truly already was. The second daughter was cherished as the precious one, but obviously was portrayed as deeply damaged, at best. Wilson? Sociopath and a product of what he projected onto his first family. He got a "do-over" with the second family and tried to outrun his obvious pathology. One may run, but they can't hide. (less)

·  10,288 ratings  ·  1,319 reviews

Melinda
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I thought this book was good, I know the general audience diagrees and feels it is outstanding, obviously I am the minority.

Several sensitive subject matters are addressed. The cast is lively and diverse. The writing is liquid gold, just flows from each page. Weaving several plots is accomplished seamlessly.

The areas I found problematic - the heavy topics introduced didn't have the weighty closure called for, a big no no for this reader. If you are going to broach sensitive topics please follo
Catherine McKenzie
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this book and I raced through it in a couple of days. In fact, it was the first time in a while that I had been completely engrossed in a book. Marisa de los Santos' books are always effortless reads and this is no exception. A unique family story about two very different sisters who begin as strangers and end up saving one another. Highly recommend.
Vanessa
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The two characters of Taisy and Willow were both well drawn with distinct characteristics making it easy to follow both sets of stories. The writing was ok and plot wise it was interesting enough to keep my attention. I just found the dialogue a little bit forced and unrealistic at times, plus I almost gave up on the book as the narrator voicing Willow got on my nerves so much so that I switched over to reading the book instead and it seemed to make the book more tolerable and even enjoyable.
BookLover
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Precious One is my first read by Marisa de los Santos. She is a fantastic storyteller. I LOVED this book. I found Taisy and Willow’s alternating voices completely engaging.

Taisy had unresolved issues from her past, but she didn’t let them get in the way of striving for happiness. I loved her interactions with each and every character in the book. She was very likeable and her main flaw, as I saw it, was her desire to get love and approval from the one source that was never willing to give it
Carol Brill
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A well written story, with sensitively drawn point of view characters, about relationships of every kind--parent/child, siblings, first love, lost lost, and a creepy one I won't describe so I don't spoil it.
Thirty-something Eustacia aka "Taisy" yearns for her brilliant, self-centered father's love even though he abandoned her, her twin brother, Marcus, and their Mom years ago. Wilson, was a cold, critical, jerk of a father to Marcus and Taisy. He is totally different with his new family, clearl
Diane S ☔
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I was reading all the reviews of four and five stars and wondering why this book didn't affect me the way it did many of the other readers. Not that there is anything wrong with this book, it was good, a comfort read if you will and somewhat predictable. I enjoyed the character of Taisy but found the character of Willow at times irritating. Think at sixteen she acted very child like, in the book this seems to be the result of homeschooling, awkwardness in social settings. Although I suppose ther ...more
Susan Liston
Aug 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Well it pains me to give this book one star, because it started out with such promise. I have never read this author before but I loved the way she writes, and I was quite engrossed for a time. Then it took a big jump off the cliff and fell into a stale pool of chick-lit-ish nonsense. The seemingly cruel father, who started out as an intriguing character, loses all credibility and becomes just silly. The half-sisters,one 35, one 16, who tell the story in alternating chapters, BOTH end up with Th ...more
Maria
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Jan
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have read and liked de los Santos’ three previous novels. My note after reading “Falling Together” was “Just loved this -- the humor, the wit, the writing, the wisdom, the characters, the sensitivity, the understanding of human nature.” I looked forward to her newest work.

But alas, what may have fallen together in the third novel just fell totally apart in the fourth, at least for me. I am honestly stunned that the only aspect I can praise in “The Precious One” is the writing.

Let’s start with
☮Karen
Taisy agrees to meet up with her estranged father Wilson and his strange new family after being summoned from his sick bed. A very full-of-himself scientist/professor, he wants Taisy to ghost write the story of his rise to success. Unfortunately for the spoiled, beloved, teenager Willow, the only by-product of his new marriage, that means sharing her father for the first time with someone else, as Taisy moves into their pool house to begin her research. Willow feels contempt and jealousy towards ...more
Myrna
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
5★s for the audiobook! The narrators did an outstanding job!

The Precious One is a well written, character driven, chick lit book told through alternating POVs. I definitely found myself caring about the characters, except for Wilson, their father. The author did a great job of portraying Wilson in an unsympathetic, unpleasant manner. Besides complex family dynamics, the novel includes some teen angst, love, and a few surprises. I highly recommend the audiobook.

Roxanne Meek
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to take my time writing this review to do the book justice and to think about all of the things Marisa and The Precious One gave me. I was given an Advanced Reader's Edition which arrived Christmas Eve ( I know... A gift right?) and it was indeed. Even with all of the craziness of Christmas I couldn't put it down. Written in 2 voices similar to Love Walked In, one older sister Taisy and one younger, a teen of 16 Willow, it flipped back and forth between them softly and effortlessly. Wil ...more
Kathleen
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Marisa's writing is like no one else's, and the characters leap off the page. A poignant, funny, beautifully told story about the ties that bind—and sometimes fray and break. It's a story about siblings, and parents and children, and lovers, and the odd ways families fall apart and come together. Willow, who's 16, is brilliant but so sheltered that she has little idea how to cope with a real world filled with delight and danger in equal measure. Her once-estranged sister Taisy ...more
Kari
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I'm really on the fence about The Precious One. There were parts I loved and parts I really didn't. I really liked Taisy. I thought that despite how her father treated her and her family, she grew into a responsible and caring adult. I loved her second chance story line with the love of her life, Ben. In fact, I would have loved if the book focused on them more. I also ended up liking Willow. In the beginning, I wasn't warming up to her, but she ended up being the most changed in the end. It was ...more
Therese Walsh
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When a willfull, overbearing father feels he's failed with his first family--or they've failed him--he makes a choice. Start over. This is a story about two very different sisters, a generation apart, and the unusual way they face a family crisis--and the past. Poignant, funny, quirky, and full of voice. I loved every page of this novel, and can't remember a time that I smiled more while reading a book. Wonderful characters, structure, and voice. The Precious One will definitely be at home on my ...more
Kara
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I did really like this story but i was left wondering if the book was really written for a teenage reader. The love stories were idealistic, the father one dimensionally cold and heartless and Taisy one dimensionally optimistic and supportive. Even the abuse story line was all a bit unrealistic. Having said all this I didn't put the book down.
Karin
Taisy and Willow, very nearly one generation apart, sisters who don't know each other, are thrown together when their father, Wilson, invites Taisy to visit after he suffers a heart attack. Marisa de los Santos does a lovely job of the two intertwining stories each sister tells. While this is not literary fiction and so doesn't dig into the pithy depths of everything, it is fine story telling nevertheless. My favourite novel of de los Santos' is still Love Walked In, but this still warrants 4 st ...more
Allison
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book blew. my. socks. off.

I wish I could say it more eloquently - as a writer, I should be able to, but I read it with breathless wonder, amazed at de los Santos's gift for beautiful prose, damaged but lovable characters, and dizzy, spinning plots. Honestly, I loved every last page and nearly every last sentence. Certainly, one of my favorite books to come along in recent memory, one that I couldn't wait to finish and yet regretted finishing all the same.
Amy
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is amazing that Taisy and Marcus have turned out as well as they have. Actually, it is a testament to their mother that the twins are fairly grounded, reasonable, and clear-thinking adults. Goodness knows that Wilson Cleary did everything he could to insure that his two older children emerged from his grasp as insecure, mewling weaklings.

Not that Wilson would agree. He likely would blame his first wife for any shortcomings in his children.

The good news for Wilson is that he gets a do-over, an
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: C-

I usually start my reviews with a short description of the novel. Instead, you'll get the picture of this character driven story through my descriptions of the characters and writing. Told from the first person perspectives of thirty-five-year-old Taisey and her sixteen-year-old sister Willow, aka THE PRECIOUS ONE, these half-sisters were raised by two very different, but the same father, Wilson.

Wilson is the epitome of an over-the-top, one dimensional father who dotes on his youngest
Sheila DeChantal
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Let the gushing commence. This is the first book I have read by Marissa de los Santos and I absolutely had no idea going in what an experience her writing would be. I adored the long sentences of conversation (much the way I myself may talk) and the funny little comments in parenthesis … but it was so much more than the writing I enjoyed, it was also the amazing characters and story.

Once again I find myself in a sort of trend in books that somehow lead to someone coming back home to fix, repair,
Marleen
I’m all the way with Marcus in this story. Marcus’ outrage and negative feelings towards his elderly father are totally justified. Indeed, why that pompous scientist, Wilson Cleary, suddenly decided, fifteen years earlier, to shut out his first family; his then wife and 18-year old twins Taizy and Marcus, and never speak to them again, remains unexplained in the book. Without looking back, Wilson starts a new family right away, marrying Caro, an artist wife, and has another daughter, Willow, who ...more
Susan
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about healing, forgiveness, families and love--all themes that I find essential. At the heart of the story are two half-sisters who've been separated by an egotistical father and his somewhat myopic new wife. The novel is about what happens when the Taisy and Willow are forced to get to know each other. The characters are written with care and love. These are people I'd like to know even outside these pages. A lovely book.
Shilpi Gowda
A loveable cast of characters and an uplifting, big-hearted story.
Caitlin
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this author's books. They're always so heartwarming and also deal with some deeper, sometimes difficult issues. I find her characters to be likable and this book was no exception. I hope she continues to write.
Michelle
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was one of the lucky readers that got an advanced copy of this book - although mine arrived at my house while I was gone over the holidays so I had to wait until I got home to get the best present of the year!

I have been a huge fan of Marisa de los Santos since I picked up Belong to Me at a book sale and fell head over heels with language again. I had almost forgotten how beautiful words can be woven together. I am so thankful for Marisa for reminding me again with her newest story.

I read The
Patty
I am so excited. Marisa de los Santos has written a new book and it will be out in March 2015. HarperCollins was kind enough to share The Precious One with library staff through their Library Love Fest. I don’t get to keep the e-book they shared with me, but now I can let our patrons know that de los Santos has another wonderful story to share with them.

Taisy Cleary is a wonderful young woman in love with three men – her twin brother, her high school sweetheart and her jerk of a father. She also
MartyAnne
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished THE PRECIOUS ONE, and I was so happy with it, all of it. Characters so real. All of them, the many people whose lives had fallen down into ellipses with others. And yet, by the end, each and all a new reckoning. (Semicolons to mark a new start in that line of thought?) All these brought together by a very precious one character, connecting all the strands despite it seeming impossible.

And, in the midst of all things, love.

I have declared Marisa de los Santos my favorite author,
Jennifer Fromke
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story carries a YA feel, but is packed with a very satisfying density. I can almost feel the characters viscerally, like they might be waiting for me in the next room. I've enjoyed this author's other work, but this story is by far her best. I want to hold this book in my hand and just "be" with it awhile longer. For the first time in years, I've actually considered re-reading a book the moment I finished it. I already used this word, but it's the right word: Satisfying. Very satisfying. Tha ...more
Becky
More 3.5- 4stars....I really liked this book. It is one I probably would not have read, but I won it!
Estranged adult children come back into their father & his new family's life....several relationships - sisters, friends, step parents, & some interesting side stories.....I especially liked Willow- the daughter from the "new" family. Her upbringing made her appear more adult then she was & some of her thoughts & comments were a delight! I think teens would enjoy this book also...

• Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Dragon Day (Ellie McEnroe, #3)
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Cancel the Wedding
  • Island Girl
  • Life After Yes
  • Carly's Gift
  • The Banks of Certain Rivers
Marisa de los Santos is the New York Times bestselling author of LOVE WALKED IN, BELONG TO ME, FALLING TOGETHER, THE PRECIOUS ONE, and her newest novel, which continues with characters from the first two, I'LL BE YOUR BLUE SKY.

Marisa has also co-authored, with her husband David Teague, two novels for middle grade readers: SAVING LUCAS BIGGS and CONNECT THE STARS.

Marisa and David live in Wilmingto
“He smiled the kind of smile that is the reason for wars and poetry.” 7 likes
“I know a lot of people do jobs their whole lives that they don't find fascinating. Wonder is a luxury. But I wanted it.” 2 likes