Start by marking “Turkey in the Snow” as Want to Read:
Turkey in the Snow

Turkey in the Snow

2 hrs and 32 mins

A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2012 Advent Calendar collection Evergreen.

Since Hank Calder's four-year-old niece Josie came to live with him, his life has been plenty dramatic, thank you, and the last thing he needs is a swishy, flaming twinkie to complicate things. But when Justin, the daycare worker at his gym, offers to do something incredibly nice
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 3 pages
Published September 15th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Turkey in the Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turkey in the Snow

Mo
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a sweet, quick, Christmas read. Hank’s sister drops her daughter and leaves without telling him. Hank is gay, has a good job and no man in his life. He caught his ex fucking another guy when he got home from work one day. He is not into drama, he is not into twinkies.

Justin is a fun guy who works in the Gym day care centre when Hank leaves Josie, his niece. He is a bit OTT “gay” if you get my drift. Giggles, squeeling, gushing … Justin thinks Hank is straight.

When Justin finds out he i
R * A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars!

By no means is this a perfect holiday story, but I will say it has realistic heart where life can never be a smooth ride with nary a bump or roadblock, and unfortunately, Hank knows this all too well.

In his quest for as much peace and smooth sailing as possible, Hank tries so hard and lovingly takes care of his niece (who was unceremoniously dumped on him by his horribly irresponsible sister). He’s burning the candle at both ends, and the poor guy is this close to having a meltdown. T
Ami
3.9 stars rounded up

First -- I needed to deduct the rating because the ohmygah and its variety was OVERKILL. I loved Justin, I really did. I loved his optimism, I loved his ray-of-sunshine personality. If I hear him talk, I probably won't mind. But hearing and READING those words are two different things, 'kay? When I encountered it for the 5th time, I was ready to find a weapon to shoot the turkey.

Other than that, I thought this was cute. I can't help it, when a story has kids in it, it usuall
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*3.5 stars*

Some stories work better in audiobook than in print, and I think this is one of them. The main complaint of most readers seems to be the over-the-top language of Justin, but in audiobook form, he was positively charming. If sweet, family-centric love stories with a butch/fem pairing are your thing, than this is the audiobook for you!

This was an unusual Amy Lane for me. It has almost no sex content whatsoever, which is REALLY rare for this author, and it was pretty low angst. Apparentl
Gigi
Good grief, Amy Lane fucking filets my heart. Every time. This was so beautiful. A perfect Christmas read. I can't wait for Christmas to read it again.
Meags
4 Stars

Lane’s Turkey in the Snow is yet another of her beautifully heart-warming and tender holiday reads.

Hank is feeling a tad overwhelmed leading up to the holiday season. He’s trying his best to provide a stable and loving home to his four-year-old niece, Josie, who was unceremoniously dumped in his lap by his irresponsible and reckless sister. At the same time, Hank is also trying his darnedest to avoid the allure of Justin, the gorgeous but outrageously flamboyant day-care worker at Hank’s
Heller
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, m-m
Over the top drama queen meets drama hating banker. Sit back and watch the sparks fly. This was fun and angsty and totally sexy. There were some great lines in this that had me laughing. Great little Christmas story about family.
Deeze
I enjoy most Amy Lane books and this was no exception.

This is a sweet almost angst free read. Ideal to get you into the Christmas spirit.

Hank took a little bit of time for me to warm too, but after getting to know him I can only admire him.

I was worried Josie was going to be a whinny brat, but after reading more deeply things became clear and I could understand why Josie was the way she was.

Justin is a sweetie, I loved him immediately, but if I hear the term “ohmygah” once more I’m going to t
Kaje Harper
This is a moderate length holiday story - something to sit down with when you need a quiet hour watching pain melting into joy.

The story arc is familiar, a man who is left with his sister's child before the holidays finds the guy who can turn a tough situation into family. But no one does characters better than Amy Lane, and this story introduces bubbly, dramatic Justin who has hidden strength, and pessimistic, responsible Hank, who learns to take a chance. It's sweet and lovely, the child is re
Susan
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I’ve been looking at this book for months. But $4.34 for 71 pages is expensive. I eventually caved and bought it anyway. And yes, it was worth it.

This was a very heart warming book that made me feel all the happy feelz.

Hank’s sister suddenly left her 4 year old daughter in Hank’s care. Hank loves his niece and does everything in his power to give her a good home. But he really needs his workout at the end of the day to destress. Luckily the gym has a daycare where he can bring Josie.

Ju
Breann
3.5

Oh, I have been waiting to start my holiday reading and this was the perfect start! How freaking adorable are Hank and Justin? Like, so adorbs I can hardly stand it.

Justin was perfect for Hank, just what he needed to get through his new guardianship over his niece. Hank was a big grumps in the beginning, but got over that real quick-like. Who could be grumpy with Justin around? NOBODY. THAT'S WHO!

It was cute & funny Amy Lane fluff.

Favorite quote:

“But see? Then you got all human on me the
BWT (Belen)
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. How have I not read this before? I loved this!

Gomez Pugh does a terrific job with the narration of this sweet, and short, novella. A departure from Lane's usual modus operandi, this story has very little angst or sexy times. Not that I felt the lack.

I enjoyed this thoroughly from start to finish. Usually my big complaint with a novella is I want more, I want the story to be more fleshed out...not so with Turkey in the Snow. I thought it had a very satisfying ending.

Like I said before, Gomez
Natalia
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelley
Ohmygah, Ohmygah this was just sooo cute!
I say with just a smidgen of sarcasm

This books is a short sweet Christmas story, complete with HEA we all want for the holidays. Justin and Hank, opposites in form and character find love.

Justin is a raging "mo" complete with the flapping hands and everything

Photobucket

He is quite funny though and he had my inner fag hag jumping up and down and clapping hands. Justin's been crushing on the big alpha man Hank for months, but always thought him to be straight.

Justi
Serena Yates
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
What a great story! I loved the characters, the things that happened kept me glued to the pages, and the deep emotions between the two men at the center of this whirlwind touched me deeply. The overall analogy, referenced in the title, is a pretty accurate description of the story's theme. Just like turkeys that panic seemingly without having reason to when snowflakes hit them, but remain still and peaceful when a fox comes to visit, life's dramas hit different people in different ways. What ups ...more
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Dec 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gay holidays, mm romance
Recommended to Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog by: Jen Mathews
~ ~ ~

A quick, sweet holiday short.

THE STORY

The holidays are hectic for anyone, but Hank is particularly busy. A single guy raising his four year old niece, he has to accept help from Justin. Justin's adorableness is just too much for Hank, or maybe it's exactly what Hank really needs.

All in all an enjoyable story. Solid characters, realistic plot (if a little scrunched) and a nice message of hope.

THE CHARACTERS

I think you'll enjoy Hank's curmudgeon paired with Justin's twinkly drama queen-ness
Sandra
3.5 stars I really enjoyed this audiobook. The narrator, Gomez Pugh, did a great job. He was able to give Justin the flamboyant lilt without it being obnoxious or seeming like a caricature, and I didn't pick up a single hint of it with Hank's speech. Similarly, he did Josie and the other female characters well without them seeing like high-pitched stereotypes.

This was a sweet story that was the perfect length. We meet everyone after Hank has met Justin, and is not enamored. But to be fair, he wa
Eli Easton
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. It was perfect for a Christmas novella. The plot was well developed and chunky as a novel. Both MCs were three-dimensional and detailed. Justin was a hoot -- I enjoy this kind of flamboyant character and he was very funny. The sub-plot around the little girl was moving. Amy Lane has a wonderful prose voice that goes down like buttah! Recommended.

Re-read Feb 2014. Still my favorite Amy Lane!
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
So. Freaking. Adorable. I loved this little morsel of Christmas cuteness. I have to be the biggest fan of Amy Lane's happy feel-good stories. I have the feeling that this is going to be my favorite of the season. This was a great start to my Holiday story happiness.
Ann
The story is adorable and the narrator of the audiobook is yummmmmmmm.
Ije the Devourer of Books
'Ohmigah''.......(My favourite phrase from this book) I loved this story!!

I laughed so loud and so long at some of the scenes that my son thought I had truly and finally lost it, epecially when I laughed about the scenes with the social worker.

This is an opposites attract Christmas story with a kid thrown into the mix, just the right amount of humour, a tiny amount of angst, realistic parenting stresses and voila!! The perfect short story for the season.

The characters in the story were just so r
Marcie
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts, xmas, buddy-read
BR with Paul, Sonia, (and Els)!

I stated liking this one as soon as I cracked the book open. The way Hank was with his 4yo niece... *sigh* a man after my own heart. And Justin was the right amount of drama(queen) he needed.

"...So I started thinking about those turkeys in the snow, remember?" [...] "So, they freaked out with the snowflakes and hurt each other, but... but that wasn't the deadliest thing. The deadliest thing was the quiet stuff, the fox that didn't make any noise. With you, I'll alw
Trio
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, holiday, mm
nice story... it was sweet and simple and Gomez Pugh did a great job with the narration
Marte - Thunderella
**** 4 Shrek and donkey stars ****

Audio edition, narrator Gomez Pugh.
2 hours 32 minutes

Overall: 4
Performance: 5
Story: 4

------------------------------------------------
"You're like Shrek, uncle Hank."
"Yeah?"
"All grumpy sometimes. And Justin is like donkey."
------------------------------------------------

Hank Calder suddenly had to take on the father role when his irresponsible sister dumped her own daughter (!) on Hank. Hank is a down-to-earth kind of guy who hates drama (Shrek, right?)
Sara
So... this redhead has a hard time with audio books. I have a thing with being read to but I will admit to loving the narrator for this, Gomez Pugh reads wonderfully and his Justin was so freaking good he made the boy come to life.

I loved how he read as Hank because Hank was Hank until he was Henry *sigh* and Josie was totes adorbs with her "JUSTIN!!! and I loved all of them and was enjoying being read to, until the kiss. Ugh. I don't know what it is but I listened to the kiss and felt nothing.
Jenn
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, holidays, m-m
Ok, so if you like your holiday stories with kids and family issues and pure sweetness, you'd probably give this 4 or 5 stars. I'd def say give this a go.

I, for whatever reason, really don't want to read about kids right now in my books. I don't want to read about custody issues or anything else. I want to read UST, sweet mysteries, and adult talk.

Thus, for my own personal enjoyment, I'd give this a 3.
Sara
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, fluff
Very cutesy and enjoyable. Cookie cutter man with child meets man who loves child and man. Quick and sweet.
Val Kovalin
Bank manager Hank is under serious stress this Christmas season. At twenty-six, he is stoic and hard working with a strong dislike of anything unpredictable and dramatic. His temperament comes from his childhood with an absent father and an indifferent mother, which he spent looking after himself and his irresponsible sister Amanda.

The story opens shortly after Amanda has dumped her four-year-old daughter Josie on Hank’s porch and disappeared without a word. Hank realizes he needs to win custody
Audrey
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: man-love
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 for GR.

Ohmigah! This story was cute and ohmigah great!

*ahem*

What I mean is...I enjoyed this story! I usually shy away from Amy Lane books because I'm totally not an angst-seeker. I avoid it, to be quite frank. I've noticed, though, that I really enjoy her lighter reads, and Turkey in the Snow fits into that category.

When we first meet Hank, he's quite harried and doesn't want to bother dealing with the gym's flaming daycare worker, Justin. However, Justin's offer to d
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales, #1)
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • I Don't: A Christmas Wish
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • Eight Days
  • Greeting Cards
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • A Prairie Dog's Love Song
  • I Heard Him Exclaim
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Something to Believe In
  • Gaudete
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u ...more
“I shall be your guide through the fields of frantic holiday shoppers. You will come to depend on me. I'll be your Sherpa through the human mountain, your faithful Saint Bernard, guiding you through the shopping Alps, your Strider, hauling your poor hobbit ass through the perils of Middle Earth-"

"My Gollum, prepared to dump my hobbit ass in the volcano," Hank finished, although it was hard because he was fighting laughter with every word.”
6 likes
“But see? Then you got all human on me the other night, and it's official. I'm there, Henry. I'm...I'm ready for the Henry lifestyle. And I know you've only gotten your toes wet in Lake Justin right now, but I want you to come in, take a swim, and build your house out here, okay?” 4 likes