Start by marking “The Whispers (The Hollows - Short Story, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Whispers (The Hollows - Short Story, #1)

The Whispers

(The Hollows - Short Story #1)

Eloise Montgomery discovers her amazing gift in the wake of tragedy in this first of three captivating short stories from award-winning and New York Times bestselling author Lisa Unger.

It’s a day like any other for Eloise Montgomery—until tragedy strikes. While she is recovering from a horrible accident that takes the lives of her husband and oldest daughter, and as she wo
Audiobook, Unabridged, 60 pages
Published October 28th 2014 by Simon Schuster Audio (first published October 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Whispers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whispers

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Feels refreshing and rural, at the same time.
Q:
She remembered that, his warm hand. The way the girls smelled so pretty, their flowery scents wafting from the back. The relief of her disappearing headache. The smell of spring. (c)
Q:
But it was a pointless thought, a useless one. And Eloise immediately decided that she wouldn’t keep it. Otherwise, there was a black, sucking, downward spiral inside. She could easily travel down with it into nothingness. And there was Amanda to live for; Eloise didn’
Delee

I am always wary when I see a book with a psychic main character ...they can come across as cheesy instead of spooky. I adore the spooky..and avoid the cheesy...

So when searching out the supernatural/paranormal/psychic/I see dead people-ish novels...I look for this...

[image error] photo ca256162-d2be-4a9d-8c4a-8c91fb1f5ba2_zps3cb3bef9.jpg

...but not this...

[image error] photo 80495e1e-b1eb-48ba-b1c3-2f7ac26df0a5_zpsed5a4eca.jpg

...something like this...

[image error] photo bbf11489-c697-4156-8aa6-3155417f422a_zps18497d44.jpg

...not so much of this...

[image error] photo 8a8dbfe0-a05c-4056-afd3-ba9bac07a2ad_zps4c393d7e.jpg

...I like this...

[image error] photo b56645c1-76fe-4c38-aeac-8b58dee18d15_zpsfa46186e.jpg

...me no likey this...

[image error] photo 997d43f4-7b77-43ca-903f-811724038bf6_zps70962169.jpg

THE WHISPERS- passes The Delee Test. Wheeewie!!
Stacey
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love a short story that feels like it had a little heft. After a tragic accident and being in a coma for weeks, Eloise wakes to the reality of what she has lost. As she struggles to cope, she realizes she has a gift. One that can serve to help others. A well crafted plot that begs to you to pick up the next short story.
✨Susan✨
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, tragic, psychic
I'm glad this is a trilogy but would have loved for it to be a full book. It was believable and tragic. The characters were flawed and real. As usual, January LaVoy dose a wonderful job narrating. I will definitely be reading the next two.
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
Title: The Whispers (Introductory Novella - The Whispers Series, Book 1).
Author: Lisa Unger
Published: October, 2014
Format: electronic book - Samsung Galaxy 4 Nook ereader.
Genre: Short story/novella; fiction, adult fiction, drama, mystery, paranormal mystery, tragedy/accident, rare swearing/no sexual content.

Read: June 29-July 6, 2015 (part time)

*~* this book was received as a free gift from the author via Barnes and Noble; no review requested. *~*

My GoodReads ratings: 5 solid stars. Definitely.

B
☼♄Jülie 

The Whispers by Lisa Unger

What a great introduction to the Whispers trilogy.
I thoroughly enjoyed this first of three books intruducing Eloise as a woman who is just discovering her emerging psychic abilities.
After a very tragic and traumatic event in their lives, Eloise and her daughter Amanda are trying to cope one day at a time. It is during this period that Eloise starts to have "visions," (for want of a better word) and starts to experience telepathic messages.
What follows is a riveting sto
Kristin

A-Z Challenge with Karly and Jess

U = Unger, Lisa

I think there is a reason I don't read shorts. They always seem too underdeveloped for me to fully invest any liking to the characters or interest in what's going on. This one suffered from this a lot. It has potential, I liked it ok, but needs more depth and feeling for me to really care about it.

Although I have seen some subpar reviews for it, I read the excerpt for her other book, Crazy Love You and in the few chapters that were includ
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I listened to the audioverison and I quite enjoyed it. The problem I have with short novellas like this is that I often find myself wanting more, as a prequel would this be a great story. Alas, this is the first in a novella series. Still, I'm looking forward to listening to the next one.
Sue
"The Whispers" by Lisa Unger is the first book in the novella trilogy. This e-book is scheduled to be released on Oct. 28th; with "The Burning Girl" (The Whispers #2) coming on Nov. 25th; and "The Three Sisters" (The Whispers #3) coming on Jan. 6th, 2015.

Having read other full novels by this author, such as "In The Blood", I was intrigued to read her first two e-novellas.

In The Whispers, Eloise Montgomery is recovering from an accident that took the life of her husband, Alfie, and her eldest dau
Diane S ☔
In the aftermath of a terrible tragedy, Eloise discovers she has a new gift. She seems to be able to get inside the heads of people in peril. Interesting first start to this new series that is being released as e-books.

ARC from Netgalley.
Julie
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Whispers by Liza Unger is a 2014 Pocket Star publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Even though this is a very short story, the author still manages pack a punch with emotional depth and taut creepy suspense.

When her husband and eldest daughter are killed in an accident, Eloise and her daughter Amanda struggle to put their lives back in order. Amanda nearly goes catatonic, and Eloise begins having visions that could h
Carmen Blankenship
5 Stars!!! I'd give it ten if it was a full length novel. I am now such a huge Lisa Unger fan that my friends are tired of hearing me talk about her. Neither my husband or son read and I'm talking about this book to them tonight. Their eyes glaze over as I talk about the flawless writing and characters I so easily believe in and adore.

Eloise and Amanda suffer a life changing & heart breaking loss. This loss seems to have triggered a dormant psychic ability in Eloise. I love how Unger made it
Pat
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The Whispers by Lisa Unger is the beginning of an e-novella trilogy. This novella was fantastic and I highly recommend this to readers of mystery, suspense and crime investigations.

Eloise Montgomery has an ideal life with husband, Alfie, and two daughters, Emily and Amanda. The book begins with “Eloise Montgomery had always believed that on the day that the worst thing happened, she would know.” And from there the book continues to present a family life that so many of us can relate to until ord
Susana

Arc provided by Pocket Books through Netgalley

Release Date: October 27th

This is the first of three short stories that follow the life of Eloise Montgomery after a tragedy strikes her life. After surviving a brutal accident, Eloise finds herself having visions of people in danger.
People she never met.
But how can she help other people, when she's barely living herself?

What I liked:

The writing
It's deep, sad and heartbreaking, and it pulls you right into the story.

The characters
They're well dra
Christine
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Pat and Sue as ARC
Shelves: net-galley, ebooks
I would like to thank Net Galley and Simon and Schuster Pocket Books for an advanced copy of this novella in exchange for an honest review.

This is my first Lisa Unger experience. The Whispers: A Whispers Story is the first installment of a trilogy of novellas. I am not a dedicated fan of novellas nor do I consider myself having any interest in the paranormal genre. Despite these two strikes (in my opinion) against the book, I loved it! I can point out several positive features. The writing is su
Petra
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
My first book by Lisa Unger. I listened to the audio version narrated by January LaVoy. Excellent narrator. It's a short story introducing Eloise who discovers she has psychic abilities. Well written, featuring interesting characters, and considering its length, a remarkably solid story. Moving on to the second of this trilogy.
Taylor
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm definitely intrigued. The Whispers is like a murder mystery, but with a twist. It's both haunting and touching. I'm already invested in the characters, even though this first installment is only 66 pages long. I'm interested to see how the rest of the series unfolds!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
KathyAnne
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rating...
This is a short story of a woman named Eloise whose perfect Happily Ever After world has been forever changed by a tragic accident. After she recovers from her injuries, she discovers that she has developed an unusual gift. She begins to have visions of young girls who are apparently victims of accidents or crimes. Sometimes the visions she sees leaves small clues that can help save the victims. But, sometimes she's too late. It's always a race against the clock!
This is one of thos
☕️Kimberly
The Whispers is the first of the three novella and are prequels to the full-length novel Fragile by Lisa Unger. In the Whispers, we meet Eloise Montgomery and learn how she developed her psychic gift.  Unger writes a gripping tale that immediately warms you to the protagonist. Her visions make you shiver.

Eloise Montgomery wakes from a horrific tragedy. She cannot sleep, and she and her daughter are trying to find some normalcy when she begins having episodes. Visions, nightmares and one is so co
Andrea Corley
I love short stories because I don't always have all the time in the world to sit down and read a book, so with a novella, it gives me a chance to get through something relatively quickly!

To me, this story was so grasping! It took me in and kept me holding on right up through the very last word! I found myself in an array of emotions while reading throughout the whole story! Lisa Unger has certainly mastered the ability of short story writing! The story was just perfect...not to short, not too
Ken
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First in a trilogy of novellas.

After a tragic accident Eloise loses her husband and one of her two daughters, waking from a coma she slowly realises she has developed Psychic powers.

A really strong start with plenty of action, in looking forward to reading the other two parts.
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. 4.5 Stars

Lisa Unger’s THE WHISPERS is the first of three, in the dynamic Whisper mystery series of novellas, set in the small town of Hollows. A family is wrecked by a tragic accident--one left with a special gift, to help others; not always wanted or understood.

Readers learn about the history of the lovely Montgomery family and how husband Alfie, and wife Eloise met, with a beaut
Ana

Originally posted on This Chick Reads

*Copy provided by publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I was introduced to Lisa Unger's work when I read 'In The Blood' earlier this year, which is absolutely THE BEST thriller I've ever read. Even months after reading that book and few more thrillers in the mean time, 'In The Blood' still remains high on pedestal for me and don't think I will read a book in the near future that will top it. When I found out Lisa Unger was publishing a ser
So, I Read This Book Today
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How do you deal with the death of nearly all you hold dear? How do you save yourself, and your one remaining child from falling into a pit of despair? And can you ever truly find life after such loss?
Eloise Montgomery isn’t sure she will survive, after her husband and oldest daughter are killed by a meth head semi driver who falls asleep at the wheel. But then, she has to survive, doesn’t she? For she still has one child left, her youngest daughter Amanda. They must both learn to survive, to put
Cathy Cole
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the past author Lisa Unger has written two books set in The Hollows, a secluded town 100 miles outside New York City. Both books-- Fragile and Darkness, My Old Friend-- feature an ensemble cast, and Unger has long wanted to flesh out some of the characters living in this fictional town.

First up is psychic Eloise Montgomery in "The Whispers," number one in a series of three digital short stories. Set in 1985, "The Whispers" tells us Eloise's backstory. Eloise, her husband, and two daughters we
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Another great story from the pen of the talented Lisa Unger. The Whispers is the first part of a three part e-novella, a new tangent for Lisa Unger, I have enjoyed many of her novels and I really liked this too.

It was a quick and entertaining read, I was pulled into the story easily and was already thinking about the next part of the story I had to read by half way through it. It's like putting together a jigsaw puzzle, one piece at a time. Having a touch of the supernatural/ghostly theme just
sue
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Firstly, this is the first ever book I have read by this author.
Secondly, this is a kind of ghostly, supernatural story. I didn't realize that when I chose to read it, I should really spend more time looking at the blurb. BUT, if I had done in this case I would have missed out on a superbly written piece of work.

This is the first part of a three part e-book. It opens up like you are reading about someone who has loved, lost, and is undergoing emotional tragedy. Then......
the book opens up more t
Christine
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for my review copy of this book.

This is the second book I've read by Lisa Unger. It is a short novella and is the first in a series of three starring Eloise Montgomery.

Eloise tragically loses her daughter and husband to a lorry driver in a road traffic accident. She is left with her youngest daughter, Amanda to rebuild their lives. Supernatural events start to happen to her and Eloise begins to see she has psychic abilities. Eloise is visited by her dead hu
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This was a free gift from Simon & Schuster via Glose.com. Not sure how I got on the list to get it, but I tried it just to see if it was interesting. I was hooked. I thought I'd read a few pages and be done with it. Instead, I sucked it down in one short sitting. The writing is powerful and poignant. These are not happy stories which is probably why I like it. Eloise suffers a terrible loss which triggers her ability to hear others crying for help. She tries to ignore it but ends up helping. ...more
Kim
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, kindle, net-galley
Eloise loses her husband and older daughter in a terrible accident. She starts to get psychic visions whilst she is recovering.She struggles with it initially but decides that she can use it to help women with no other help in sight.

It tugs on the heartstrings- you can't even begin to imagine how someone moves forward from such a tragedy.

I am really looking forward to reading more by this author.

New Lisa Unger fan- What novel should I read? 6 6 Nov 19, 2014 05:57AM

• The Kill Shot  (Jamie Sinclair,  #2)
  • Darkness at the Edge of Town (Iris Ballard #2)
  • The Night Visitor
  • Don't Lose Her (Max Freeman, #7)
  • After the Bloom
  • The Dream You Make
  • A Penny for the Hangman
  • Almost Gone: Twenty-Five Days and One Chance to Save Our Daughter
  • Death on Nantucket (A Merry Folger Nantucket Mystery #5)
  • Smoke (Lydia Strong, #4)
  • The Painted Gun
  • Little Island
  • Five Dances with Death: Dance One
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • The Little Men
  • Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery, #1)
  • Cold Girl (B.C. Blues Crime, #1)
  • Previously Loved Treasures (Serendipity, #2)
Lisa Unger is the New York Times and internationally bestselling author of seventeen novels, including THE STRANGER INSIDE (coming Sep. 17). Her latest release, UNDER MY SKIN, is an Edgar nominee and finalist for the Hammett Prize. Her story, THE SLEEP TIGHT MOTEL, is a #1 bestselling short and Edgar nominee.

An award-winning and acclaimed writer with millions of readers worldwide, Lisa Unger is wi

The Hollows - Short Story (3 books)
  • The Burning Girl (The Hollows - Short Story, #2)
  • The Three Sisters (The Hollows - Short Story, #3)
“Eloise thought that justice was a funny thing. It was a big idea, a romantic one. It was imagined like a satisfying end to a story.” 0 likes