Start by marking “It's a Seashell Day” as Want to Read:
It's a Seashell Day

It's a Seashell Day

Winner of the Florida Book Awards' Gold/Reichert Award!

Sunny-as-a-summer-sky rhymes chronicle a mother and son sharing a day of sand digging, seashell collecting, and seashore exploring. Kids will learn about a variety of shells and count along with the boy as he totals up his collection, puts his shells away, and then drifts off into a well-earned bedtime. A s
Published July 21st 2015 by Blue Apple Books (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about It's a Seashell Day, please sign up.
Dianne Ochiltree My favorite childhood memory is simple: taking my mother's hand in one hand and my father's hand in the other as we waded in the surf on vacations to…moreMy favorite childhood memory is simple: taking my mother's hand in one hand and my father's hand in the other as we waded in the surf on vacations to Florida.(less)

Start your review of It's a Seashell Day
Clarissa
It's a Seashell day is a lovely picture book that any kid between the ages of 3 and 7 would love. Dianne Ochiltree crafts a simple and sweet rhyming story that teaches small children to count from 1 to 10. The learning experience does not stop there, though; Ochiltree incorporates information about mollusks and seashells in a comprehensible manner for the young readers. The illiustrations by Elliot Kreloff are cute and the choice of bright, warm colors add a nice touch to this delightful picture ...more
Kitty Honeycutt
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written and educational! I enjoyed this book as a 42 year old mom and passed it on to my nieces and nephews to read. They all truly enjoyed it as well. The illustrations are bright and cheery and make you feel like you're on a seashell hunt as you sit in your living room reading to the kids.

What I loved most about this book was the educational value. Children get to learn about the different types of shells they can find on the beach and that they all were once the homes the homes o
Sandy Brehl
This is another fiction book that has dual content, picturing actual shell varieties and offering an age-appropriate back-matter chart of the various shells collected. The very basic rhyming text and use of core words (counting) are a good match for the colorful but simple images of seashore, home, and people. Best suited for the very young, but the chart in back clearly labels the shells with their technical names.
Kathy Temean
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this picture book! It is so much fun. The story is interesting, the rhyme is perfect, and the illustrations are fabulous. Dianne Ochiltree has given us another wonderful book. At the end of the book there is a page that shows the shells, gives the names, and describes the shells collected on the beach - nice touch.
Juliana Lee
Wendy Kuzma
This book with rhyming text would be fun to read at a family storytime then have a beach-themed sensory bin with seashells to interact with after storytime.
Carol Anderson
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very nice book with great pictures and a little bit of counting and science thrown in.
Joey Gremillion
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nu, your mishpucha coming to visit Florida? Great book for the grandchildren to not only get them excited about the beach, but to learn about seashells, the beach and practice rhyming and counting.
Patricia McLaughlin
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful, textured illustrations; competent, rhyming tale of a boy's beach-combing adventure.
Emily
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
short text// toddler/ preschool beach storyt time
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Dianne Ochiltree
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A rhyming picture book about a boy and a mom exploring the seaside together on a sunny day at the beach. Great art and story!
Erin
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
good for toddlers
Romelle
Includes more information on shells in the back matter.
Beth
ARC supplied by publisher via Edelweiss
Carrie Charley Brown
Delightful!
Emily
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute rhymes and illustrations are in this picture book. It’s a good read aloud.
Viviane Elbee
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute counting, rhyming book about seashell collecting with back-matter facts about seashells.
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun illustrations and a simple story about a little boy and his mom at the beach. Appropriate and fun for a preschool story time on summer, mothers, beaches, or oceans.
Jeff
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the art and the cadence of the story was kind of sing songy. the facts at the back are great. I'm sure my granddaughter will love this.
Charlotte
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I like collecting seashells and thought the book was educational. I didn't like the illustrations in the book though.
Caroline
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A young boy has fun at the beach with his mom, and even counts some seashells, in this color picture book with simple text.

This would be a great beach-themed story time book.
Tiff
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful seashells, hear the ocean. Reminds me of my childhood, the beautiful part. Gets me nostalgic. Lovely book to share with kids of all ages.
Jackie
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Wonderful book for my seashell collecting grandchildren. And names of all the different shells at the end. They liked it.
Katie Bodnar

• Noni the Pony Goes to the Beach
  • Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn
  • Paddington at the Beach
  • Duck & Goose Go to the Beach
  • Hey, That's MY Monster!
  • To the Beach!
  • If You Ever Want to Bring a Piano to the Beach, Don't!
  • Beach House
Dianne Ochiltree is a nationally recognized author of books for the very young. Her books have been featured on recommended lists, translated to foreign language editions, released in audio versions and selected for use in lesson plans by teachers nationwide. Her picture book, LULL-A-BYE, LITTLE ONE, has been a selection in the Dollywood Foundation's childhood literacy initiative, Imagination Libr ...more