Start by marking “Peers Inc: How the Collaborative Economy is Creating Radical Prosperity” as Want to Read:
Peers Inc: How the Collaborative Economy is Creating Radical Prosperity

Peers Inc: How the Collaborative Economy is Creating Radical Prosperity

The Peers Incorporated model combines two powerful forces. On one side, we have industrial strengths: companies, governments, and institutions (i.e., the "Inc.") that apply significant resources, talent, and money to simplify the complex, apply standards and consistency, deliver economies of scale, and create global brands. On the other we have individual-strengths: autono ...more
Published June 9th 2015 by PublicAffairs (first published May 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Peers Inc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peers Inc

Start your review of Peers Inc: How the Collaborative Economy is Creating Radical Prosperity
Kdolan
Feb 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was really interested to read this book from the cofounder of Zipcar to get some insight from a woman's perspective of the start up experience and to get some observations for the sharing economy.

Unfortunately the book is full of her own personal views and her research was weak in backing up her claims. Given her access she really should have been able to write this book with more academic rigor and insight. Instead she really doesn't seem to understand business models so her views came acro
Luísa Lima
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An optimistic solution to mankind’s biggest problems

Let me start by saying that this review might be biased since I really admire Robin Chase. Peers Inc is a peek into her mind. In short, it provides an overview of how to build a successful (or failed!) peer to peer platform, with its advantages for all its stakeholders - including some advice for governments too. In the end, the realization that only peer to peer platforms are able to scale as quickly as possible leads to the natural conclusio
Joel Salazar
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
There are plenty of books about the topic. You can safely skip this one.
Ignacio De Leon
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I had high expectations with this book. However, I could not pass Chapter 3. The book is boring, despite the exciting topic that it covers. It tries to cover too much ground, from telling Chase's personal experience creating ZipCar to giving advice on public policies for the preservation of the environment (!). In the end, it attempted to be an academic book written to an audience waiting to hear a personal story. Thus, it failed to grab my attention.

Chase is an admirable businesswoman but is d
Nathik
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction
Peers Inc written by Co-Founder of Zipcar Robin Chase. Its basically her thesis on how successful Collaborative economy works. Peers(Individuals) Inc(Corporations) basically states that co-ordination of individuals/local community with Corporation/Government/Institutions will build the Collaborative economy and future start ups. Besides the coordination of Peers and Inc, three other components to this model: Excess capacity, Platform for participation and Diverse peers. Excess capacity (car/room ...more
Vanessa Princessa
I read this book thanks to Blinkist.

The key message in this book:

When we switch from a buying and owning mentality to a sharing mentality, everyone wins. Those who have an excess capacity of a resource make money; those who use that excess capacity save money. And the planet is exposed to fewer emissions. But there are still more resources with excess capacity out there, just waiting to be used.
Carlosfelipe Pardo
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most insightful account of the world of sharing, with a special emphasis on transport (the author's main field of work)
Tina
Oct 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not for me.
Nancy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Written by the founder of ZipCar -- a new and different approach for us moving forward which makes good sense.
Karin
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing to me, not because I agree with every point of view from the author, but because she articulates a view of the economy that is refreshing.

The author affirms that individuals, doing what they can do - yes, even what they want to do - on a small scale have value. From page 253:
While industrial capitalism evolved to put the corporation's survival at the center, the collaborative economy thrives by putting people at the center....The Peers Inc paradigm, with its different str
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Peers Inc: How the Collaborative Economy is Creating Radical Prosperity by Robin Chase was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top Business Books of 2015.

THE SOUNDVIEW OVERVIEW:

When Robin Chase cofounded Zipcar, she not only started a business but established the foundation for one of the most important economic and social ideas of our time: the collaborative economy. With this important book, she broadens our thinking about the ways in which the economy is being transform
Laurel
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wanted to read this book because I had heard Robin Chase speak about how the collaborative economy might help resolve some of the challenges presented by climate change. Chase's ideas are interesting, but in many ways, far-fetched. Her ideas are grand but without plans for execution. Much of what she describes in her model are disturbing because they will further erode our privacy as individuals. She does present some of the downsides of the shared economy, but fails to consider pressing socia ...more
Scott Wozniak
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
An entire industry has sprung up around creating platforms for people to sell and/or share their extras. From selling their extra bedroom for a night to sharing a car ride to writing open source software, this new space is huge and what these peers create is changing the world. The part of the book on this was good.

But there were whole chapters on government policy, from phasing universal health care to climate change solutions. Way, way off topic and they dragged the book down.
Ninos Youkhana
Wondering about Chase

I wonder if Chase open her house for Airbnb and share her personal luxury car. To me, companies who build their business model on share economy use my profile and clicks, likes, shares, and comments are no different than a capitalistic cooperation. Just a few CEOs who become rich. Now, can they give back part of those billions to the peers who made them rich, when they sell their platforms? That is a share economy.

Patrick
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Makes the case for networked platforms, with a large organization “Inc.” investing in the technological infrastructure that connects people “Peer” for economic transactions, many of which capture value form otherwise unused excess capacity. Author Robin Chase was co-founder of Zipcar. This book makes me more conscious of the the network platform as a fundamental change to markets and the economy. Good perspective as I think of my own path in the next 10-15 years.
Elizabeth
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Find a copy and read this! Engaging explanations of business models - and operating models - of some of the big name "sharing economy" companies, with examples of how they can help us towards a more sustainable world. Particularly good at examining the good and bad of the models.
Risto Kärkkäinen
Read this if you are interested in creating a web platform. Building up a platform is an extremely difficult endeavour. This book doesn't give you definitive answers how to do it. It mainly gives you a mindset and plenty of case studies of successful and not so successful web community startups.
Kavita Gaitonde
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Inspired!
Shawn Williamson
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Good read, lots of examples - tends to "beat a dead horse" after a while but the intent is good.
Brian Katz
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Good read on building platforms and the collaborative economy, but the bits on climate change seemed to be shoehorned in there.
Lloyd Fassett
May 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: business
5/10/15 found it on Confused of Calcutta blog. http://confusedofcalcutta.com/2015/05... ...more
Weiping

• Hjärnstark
  • Självkänsla nu!
  • Business Stripped Bare: Adventures of a Global Entrepreneur
  • Round Ireland with a Fridge
  • Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1)
  • Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
  • Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2)
  • Winterkill (Joe Pickett, #3)
  • #Girlboss
  • All Our Wrong Todays
  • Midnight Sun (Blood on Snow, #2)
  • The Rainbow Trail ( Riders of the Purple Sage#2)
  • My Sunshine Away
  • Blood on Snow (Blood on Snow, #1)
  • The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World
  • Riders of the Purple Sage (Riders of the Purple Sage #1)
  • Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
  • Razor Girl (Andrew Yancy, #2)