Start by marking “Rocks, Paper, Flowers” as Want to Read:
Rocks, Paper, Flowers

Rocks, Paper, Flowers

The clothes may not make the woman, but they certainly help! This is the story of one woman’s life-changing journey to overcome grief and loss. It is a testament to a daughter’s love for her mother and the unique bond between siblings. Megan O’Malley Moller lost her mother to cancer at age sixteen. One of six siblings, she grew up in a strict Irish Catholic family in Ohio. ...more
Published August 14th 2014 by Holladay House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rocks, Paper, Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocks, Paper, Flowers

Start your review of Rocks, Paper, Flowers
Susan Maltese
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I initially read this book with my daughter-in-law in mind because her mother died young and her grief was so deep. I became totally captivated by Katie's story and delighted in the sisters interactions. The bicycle ride taken by Megan and Fiona was a special experience and drew me in. What I did not expect was that my own personal experience of being raised by my grandmother and her death when I was 19, would come to the forefront to the point where I felt the impact of my loss as if it happene ...more
Caroline Grim
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was interested in this book initially by the clever title and cover, however there is so much more on the pages in between! Sullivan has that rare gift of storytelling that draws in the reader and makes them feel they are right there with he author. The topic of dealing with the loss of a parent at a young age and how it has affected different aspect of the authors life is very relevant and relatable for many readers. The characters are likeable and I truly found myself wishing I could have jo ...more
Diane
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a book that will make you laugh, make you cry and make you glad you took the time to read it cover to cover. It won't take you long to read it, because once you start you won't want to put it down. Great book Katie Sullivan.
Tina Matthews
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The book was excellent. I had not read a book in about six years because nothing could hold my attention. Once I started this story I could not put it down. I was so sad when Megan's journey was over. I laughed and cried. Brought up a lot of memories of my own. Can not wait till her next book! A must read if you have lost a loved one.
Mary Scholtens
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have ever wondered if you could spin as compelling a narrative from the raw material of your life---and be true to yourself and do your story justice with humor and heart---here is how you would do it. Read "Rocks, Paper, Flowers" to be inspired as a writer and entertained as a reader!
Stacey
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the kind of book that you just can't put down and end up reading it front to back in no time at all. Read it! :)
Jean Mullis
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Read!!!! We all have guilt in our lives, this helped me let go of some of my guilty feelings! A book all can relate to and would make an excellent book club read!!!!
Liz Duren
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Story about a family coming to terms with the loss of a mother. Sullivan joins her sisters on a trip to visit their mother's grave and have another chance to say goodbye. Their weekend together is filled with memories, laughter and a little wine. Her story is a true testament to family and resilience.
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This wonderful book that made me laugh and cry. I couldn't put it down until I had finished the whole thing! I can't wait to read more from Katie Sullivan :)
SUSAN KRIViCICH
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed reading Rocks, paper, flowers. It was hard to put down. It was written very well and I laughed and cried when I read it. The author expressed about losing a loved one and I felt her pain and I'm glad her sisters were there for her.
Livingkim
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book about life going on while Megan struggles with grief over the loss of her mother. It's the story of a lot of us -- life moves forward while we try to manage, reconcile and feel the feelings that propel us or hold us back. Thanks Katie Sullivan for a great story of healing and happiness -- with lots of happy hours interspersed (my favorite).
Ginrum44
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved loved loved this book. It made me laugh , cry and want to call my sisters and plan a trip. Katie Sullivan has come up with a great first book and I look forward to more from her.
Michelle
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of those...can't put it down until it's done...books! What a beautiful story that honors the memory of her mother. Yes, I laughed out loud a few times and on the flip side cried a little too!
Wendy Willburger
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having recently lost my father and not feeling like I got to say goodbye, I could easily relate to Katie's story. She will have you laughing through tears. Looking forward to her next book!
Lisa Dunahoe
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I laughed, I cried, I was moved beyond words by reading this incredible and extraordinary book. Poignant and touching at all levels, Rocks, Paper, Flowers by Katie Sullivan, describes the spiritual and often painful journey through the loss of a loved one and the eternal bonds within a family.
This emotional account combines a witty and clever dialogue between a group of sisters with the raw emotion and heartache they have as they struggle through the wide range of feelings of love, loss and gui
Laurie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The biggest thing I can say about this book is that it is real. The emotions and experiences of the main character are genuine and relatable. Her evolution is understandable and touches more than just those who have encountered the same circumstances. The relationships with co-workers and family members are so realistic...and also enviable to one who has always wanted sisters! This book was easy reading and enjoyable despite watching the protagonist struggle until she finds resolution. There was ...more
Jenny Markle
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Katie Sullivan's writing is relatable. Having married into an Irish Catholic family, I absolutely recognize and appreciate her sarcastic humor that is often used to navigate both the best and worst of situations. While the story isn't one that's never been told before, the wit and heart of her storytelling keeps the pages turning. The book is perfect for a weekend away with the girls and even feels like a diary to the touch. Also, it wouldn't be a bad book to give a grieving friend to lift their ...more
Fontaine
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rocks, Paper, Flowers is a wonderful story about a young girls loss of her mother at such a young age and her relationships with her sisters and others. She learns how to navigate the pain and the relationships after this huge loss. It is a wonderful story, beautifully written. I laughed and cried. This a great book and very uplifting, in spite of her loss. I would recommend this book to all my friends.
Carla Campbell
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was turn page type book that I couldn't put down. I loved all the family memories. It had sad moments that so many people can relate to but she had me laughing through my tears. I especially loved the bond between her sisters. A must read for all book clubs!!
Amy Akin
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Great book! Loved the sentiments and look at the family life.
Shannon
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, 2015
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

I enjoyed this story. It was a nice story about Megan and her relationship with her sisters, Fiona and Helen, and how Megan dealt with her mother's death at a young age. The story was a good balance between present day and Megan's thoughts on her past. At points, it felt like the story moved too slow or was bogged with details, but it's definitely a book I'd recommend to others looking for a good story about family relationships and
Jennifer Goodall
Aug 10, 2015
Dwalls
Nov 17, 2014
Katie Sullivan
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Esther M
I love this book. If you have sisters (or brothers) you will enjoy this family story. Easy to read and lots of tender moments and lots of laughs. You won't be sorry you took the time to read this book.
Carrie
Sep 30, 2014
Lori Robertson
Feb 06, 2018
Katie Sullivan was raised in the Midwest and grew up in a large, close-knit Irish Catholic family. Katie is the mother of three teenagers, and she has been writing since they were babies. She currently resides in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, and has worked for Charleston County School District for eleven years. She graduated from Wright State University with a degree in History. Rocks, Paper, Flo ...more