Start by marking “Steal the Show: From Speeches to Job Interviews to Deal-Closing Pitches, How to Guarantee a Standing Ovation for All the Performances in Your Life” as Want to Read:

An inspiring program full of essential advice for spotlight lovers and wallflowers alike that will teach readers how to bring any crowd to its feet

Every day there are moments when you must persuade, inform, and motivate others effectively. Each of those moments requires you, in some way, to play a role, to heighten the impact of your words, and to manage your emotions and
Published October 6th 2015 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Steal the Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steal the Show

Christine Zibas
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Like most people who are uncomfortable speaking before a crowd, sometimes it's necessary and inevitable. Life just presents these challenges, and we either rise or fall in meeting them. There's lots of good advice about thinking about, planning for, writing, practicing, and actually performing (and post-performance as well) in this book. What really struck me, however, is how much was about taking chances in life and staying true to yourself, whether you have a speech to give or not.

The down sid
Carles Caño
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-speaking
Deja de hablar en público, empieza a actuar en público.

Esta podría ser la premisa de "Steal the Show". Michael Port es ex-actor y aprovecha toda su experiencia para asesorar a empresas y personas a comunicar mejor en público. El libro no es solo para hacer presentaciones, las ideas son aplicables a entrevistas de trabajo, reuniones en la oficina o incluso para acudir preparado a citas románticas.

"Steal the show" es una expresión que se usa en el mundo de los actores para expresar cuando alguno o
Rachel Bhattacharyya
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This is an extremely useful and practical book. I might have to buy a copy for myself to mark up and underline. This is a "how-to" for anyone who might be an educator, speaker, businessman - anything that brings one into the realm of public speaking. I thought the suggestions would be obvious and simply reinforcing, but it became intriguing as I discovered what I have done incorrectly and what I could/should do. An eye-opener!
Jess
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was okay. I've read a lot of public speaking books. Perhaps I'm not the target audience for this book since I've read so many books on presenting already.

I did pick up a few nuggets of wisdom from the book:

* Give the host what bio you want them to read when they introduce you. Otherwise, the host may introduce you with inaccurate information.
* When crafting and delivering your presentation, focus on the people who are open to your ideas but aren't on your side of the table yet. (The
Marc Stephan
He warned me at the very beginning this wasn't for people who were natural performers, and he was right. Half the book was explaining the philosophy of being a performer in every day life, and while I agree learning to be comfortable to roleplay is a very useful skill, it was very boring to me as I already have similar philosophies. This book may be great for people who are afraid of the stage, or to take the lead in a group meeting, or just generally have a hard time projecting any sort of conf ...more
Tracy Elman
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sales is show business. I did not relize I needed this kind of training. But after listening to this book I wanted more. So I went onto his web videos. Incredible. What a process. Acting is very improtant for leadership and sales.
Scott Wozniak
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great overview of the craft of presentations, from a professional actor turned professional speaker. As a former actor who gives presentations, I not only endorse his insights, I use all the internal and external techniques in the book. And he shows how to use these skills in more ways than just the big stage event, including meetings and conversations. Strong read.
Innocent
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is really amazing, especially if you want to do exceptional on public speaking. It provides lots of cool, inspiring ideas on public speaking, and you get to see the areas you need to improve on just by reading the first 15 pages of the book!
Rodrigo
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
In my opinion, it's a good book, it has a good approach to the subject by the author with some practical overall examples and step by steps to apply the techniques/methods mentioned. But, there are some parts of the book that the content gets too specific for professional speakers with tips and models far from the reality of the majority of people (conference presentations to a big audience for example). It was during those parts that I started to lose interest and my reading became lame, it was ...more
Rich
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Michael Port did a good job laying out some tips in terms of how to become a better performer. He takes his background in acting finds many ways to successfully adopt to public speaking. I found it surprising how many parallels there are such as being in the moment, improv, rehearsal, motivation, and many more. However, there's only so much Michael can give in a book - you have to get out there and actually practice/do it! It's like reading a book on swimming technique - it won't work if you don ...more
Rob
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The word "performance" has a kind of oily overtone: think of someone "performing" in conversation or a presentation, and you probably think of someone who's faking it. But as Michael Port points out, performance can be profoundly authentic—and in this book, he draws on the actor's toolbox to equip you to deliver convincing, powerful, honest performances.

The emphasis is on public speaking, but much of what he covers applies to everything from crucial conversations to that make-or-break job interv
Ned
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book talks about how to give a great performance in almost any situation. The author uses personal experiences as examples and provides a lot of emphasis on the motivation and why it is important to do the steps described. In a way the steps are slightly abstract and require you to think on your feet, if you are not good on these it will be hard to steal the show in dynamic environments like giving a speech.
Brandon
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Port shares his expertise in keynote speaking, acting, improv and coaching to help readers prepare and deliver impactful speeches. Chapter 12 on how to rehearse and stage a performance is particularly strong, as are chapters 1-3 on the performer's mindset. A good counterpart to Second City's "Yes, And...".
Jim
Jan 18, 2016 added it
This book is easy and fun to read. I nailed a Toastmasters icebreaker with what I learned from a quick reading. I'll definitely study this material; it sounds great.
Etienne
Really enjoyed this book, I do a lot of public speaking so it was interesting to get new ideas. Mr. Port has a good writing style and interesting examples to get better at public speaking.
Josh Steimle
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Unless you communicate exclusively through email then speaking is critical to your career and your ability to influence others. This book is a great one to help you learn how to do it better.
Sabrina
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good strategies. Will be most useful for those doing public speaking.
Stephanie Scotti
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever admired the confidence and poise of a stage performer, wishing you could “perform” like that for your next major speaking engagement? In his book, Steal the Show, Michael Port teaches us how to do just that.

To be candid, I have often pushed back when colleagues and clients compared delivering a presentation to a stage performance. I saw that as projecting a false façade; showing people something other than who you truly are.

Yet Port’s book did not advocate being false. Quite the co
Alejandro Sanoja
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Great book for anyone who wants to take their public speaking skills to the next level.

Thanks to my friend José for this great gift!

After reading this you understand that being great at public speaking it's a skill that anyone can have but it takes a lot of practice to master.

The keyword here is practice. The best part is that Michael Port outlines a great process on how to practice the right way.

The book goes in line with many things that I have been able to learn by doing Improv Comedy. In f
Jaron Dunford
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-business
Notes from Steal the Show.

Listen with all of your senses to crowd’s reaction to understand feeling in the room

In the last stage of editing, murder your darlings. We tend to add more details and examples for important parts or to be sure the audience gets it. Cut to the meat. Choose the strongest example or data point at a critical part of your story.

First point to developing content is to identify big idea and related promise. Once you have big idea, whole journey is about getting your audience
Ryan Lackey
I wanted to like this book but ended up deeply disappointed. It is really 2 stars, but includes a couple of decent points and is an important topic so I was generous.

Basically two parts — a completely forgettable “life advice from an actor and public speaker” (which was simultaneously generic and bleh), and then a longer section on actual public speaking advice, again based on acting techniques. This was somewhat useful. Most was generic advice but with good motivation (rehearse a lot, make eye
John G.
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was quite useful and insightful to me, I have done stand-up comedy for quite some time and it helped me conceptualize comedy in a different light, as one of connecting and communicating a message, delivering on a promise. He actually talks about the importance of stand-up,jokes and humor in presentation and speeches which I enjoyed. He doesn’t strike me as a salesman or charlatan, think his motivations are honorable, he believes in his orientation and skill level. I like his writing, l ...more
Josma Almanza
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book served me in a way I did not expect. It is not only tips and how-to's on speeches and public speaking. It is a guide for nailing every performance, in the wide sense of the word, I mean any interaction you wish to transmit your listener(s) a message, in an impactful way.
It is about mindset, silencing your inner critiquing voice, decision-making, taking risks, comedy and improv, staying in the moment, commitment to practice and a bunch of other nice topics.
It also has a lot of practica
Hannah Guskie
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Port took on a nearly impossible challenge with this book: teach public speaking without actually speaking to the learner, or having the learner speak a single a word. Most chapters focused on how to plan a speech (outlining the speech, the editing process) as opposed to how to connect with an audience and keep them with you when speaking, but again, only so much about public speaking can be taught through text. Much of the information seemed a bit basic, and I do think the book could have benef ...more
Lorena
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesante la visión que propone de vernos como un ‘performer’ que puedes tomar diferentes papeles sin perder tu autenticidad.

Me gustó mucho la forma en que enfoca las presentaciones en público, y como lograr una gran ovación. Mucho incapié en la preparación, ensayos y cuidado de detalles; además de estar en el momento presente y se practicar la improvisación. Me gustó también los tips de actuación de definitivamente son útiles para estos casos.

Recomendado para quieres quieren mejorar sus pres
Nelson Febo colon
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The only book you will ever need to learn about the art of public speaking. Port knows his stuff alright, and this book is a legit guide to not only steal a project where you must speak highly and effective, but to normal everyday activities. I do not give it 5 stars, and it pains me to do so, because the book lacks one or more chapters. To me, it felt somewhat incomplete. However, this book goes great with another self-improvement book on the market. You wont regret picking this up.
James Pritchert
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All speakers regardless of their speaking experience.
This is certainly one of the most complete how-to books on public speaking that I have ever encountered. I have been in the training industry for many years and attended many classes on public speaking. This book has it all and then some. It is appropriate for anyone who presents in front of people for any reason. Everyone from the youngest novice to the most seasoned professional will benefit for this book and I can highly recommend to everyone.
Dora
Rereading it was definitely worth it. Even though there's a summary of the main 50 tips at the end, this final chapter just can't summarize the entire book equally as effectively and completely.

There's not much to say except: read it and implement it. In every segment of life - not just public speaking. Though the lessons provided in the book related to actually preparing for a speech are priceless!
Stephen
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The first two parts of the book are boring to read with a lot of fluff. It didn't steal the show as promised, not with those who are looking for concrete examples of how to do it on the big stage. Sadly, these examples were only discussed towards the end of the book.

Some of the links to acting as a reference point are hard to agree with. Several examples used to illustrate certain concepts also failed to demonstrate their relevance. A classic case of over-promising and under-delivering.
Jari Pirhonen
A guide to good presentations, speeches, meetings and other public speaking occasions. Lots of tips. Many of those tips are certainly useful and while I'm trying to remember a few of those, I was left with the feeling that the book is mostly for professional speakers (although it was claimed otherwise).
  • The Brain Audit: Why Customers Buy (and Why They Don't)
  • You Win in the Locker Room First: The 7 C's to Build a Winning Team in Business, Sports, and Life
  • Day Job to Dream Job: Practical Steps for Turning Your Passion Into a Full-Time Gig
  • The Ideal Team Player: How to Recognize and Cultivate The Three Essential Virtues
  • Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It
  • The Ghost Army of World War II: How One Top-Secret Unit Deceived the Enemy with Inflatable Tanks, Sound Effects, and Other Audacious Fakery
  • How to Kill a Unicorn: How the World's Hottest Innovation Factory Builds Bold Ideas That Make It to Market
  • Brief: Make a Bigger Impact by Saying Less
  • Write To Sell
  • How to Find Out Anything: From Extreme Google Searches to Scouring Government Documents, a Guide to Uncovering Anything about Everyone and Everything
  • Team of Teams: New Rules of Engagement for a Complex World
  • The Art of Being Unmistakable
  • Serial Winner: 5 Actions to Create Your Cycle of Success
  • 60 Seconds and You're Hired!
  • Repacking Your Bags: Lighten Your Load for the Rest of Your Life
  • 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times
  • Uncontainable: How Passion, Commitment, and Conscious Capitalism Built a Business Where Everyone Thrives
  • Humans Are Underrated: Proving Your Value in the Age of Brilliant Technology
“To take those risks not only do you need to silence the external critics, you also need to let go of the inner critic that tries to worry you about the fear of rejection.” 1 likes
“Yet, I can almost hear you saying, “Well, I’m not really a performer and I’m certainly not an actor; in fact, I’m far from it. Actors love the spotlight and can’t wait to get onstage. I’m shy and I get visibly nervous when I have to speak in front of others.”
Well, I have good news for you. That’s fantastic. No, it’s better than that. It’s a “you-just-won-the-lottery” kind of fantastic. You’re exactly the person for whom I’ve written this book.”
0 likes