Start by marking “Help My Unbelief: Why Doubt Is Not the Enemy of Faith” as Want to Read:
Help My Unbelief: Why Doubt Is Not the Enemy of Faith

Help My Unbelief: Why Doubt Is Not the Enemy of Faith

God is infinite, beyond our understanding—yet He chooses to reveal Himself in ways that spark questions rather than settling them all.

Instead of making Himself smaller, God invites us into a larger faith. One that has room for questions, victories, failures, and mystery. Because belief in an infinite God by finite humans is an act of exploration ... a process of learning—
Published July 1st 2015 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about Help My Unbelief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help My Unbelief

Jeanie
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing

And they brought the boy to him. And when the spirit saw him, immediately it convulsed the boy, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth. 21 And Jesus asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood. 22 And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” 23 And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.” 24 Immediat
Natacha Ramos
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

I absolutely loved this book, one of my favorites on this topic.

I like to see how sons and daughters of famous preachers and pastors are raising their own voices to say to this new generation: we were taught well by the most qualified people on planet earth and yet only an encounter with God could set us truly free from our bondages (unbelief included).

The honesty you see through the pages makes you realize you’re learning from someone that struggles with unbelief as much as you do. That’s g
Jo
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, christian, theology
I could relate to a lot of Barnabas Piper’s struggles of making your faith personal when you’ve grown up with a lot of Christian influence, but in a sense I didn’t feel like his perspective was terribly helpful – or rather, it was helpful in pinpointing the struggles, but not so helpful in pointing the way out.

He makes a strong point of saying that belief is not just an intellectual assent – it’s something “more.” But then he proceeds to define belief in a content-based way, as in, belief is no
Jared Bercea
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. As a believer who is working on his faith this book points in the right direction to do so. This book is not full of answers, but it is full of encouragement to keep going. Doubt is not the enemy of faith because it shows a healthy yearn for knowledge. When you close your ears and heart to God you find the true enemy of faith; willful ignorance.
Shaina Herrmann
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Fantastic book. It's definitely one I will come back to.
Heather
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The genuine honesty from Barnabas Piper about his struggles with unbelief is refreshing. He effectively assures readers that it’s ok to ask questions about faith and how God is working. Too many times, Christians are made to feel guilty for asking questions or having doubts. Piper also gives good practical advice for getting back into Bible reading when it becomes stale.
David Steele
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: discipleship
"I believe; help my unbelief!" cried the father of a demon possessedpiper boy (Mark 9:24). This cry of anguish is the cry is necessarily emerges from the mouth of every believer. Why? Our faith is growing. Our faith is incomplete. We are works in progress. We still have much to learn. In fact, Barnabas Piper argues, that questions are normal, even healthy in the Christian life. This is the essence of Piper's newest book, Help My Unbelief

When the man in Mark 9 cried out, "I believe, help my unbel
Otis
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What an wonderful inspiration. The way the book is written is easily understood and can be readily accessible if applied. This read made a lot of since to me. I enjoyed the transparency of the author. “Help my unbelief” really put things in perspective for me.
Becky
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Help My Unbelief is one of the best books I've read this year. It is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's an honest look at doubt: believing doubt and unbelieving doubt. It is about coming to terms with the tension of the Christian life. In part, it is inspired by an encounter found in Mark 9:17-29. I'll share the most relevant verse: I do believe; help my unbelief.

Barnabas Piper shares a bit of his testimony and what he's learned since his big "aha" moment when he realized the v
Omar
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Good book for those who have grown up in church and have been exposed to the idea that questions and doubt are bad.

Basically, the author makes the point that a faith that has never questioned itself, is not a healthy faith. How can you honestly say you believe something if you have never struggled, at some level, with the possibility of being wrong? He makes this point, saying, "More likely you have been afraid of questions—afraid they would offend your fellow Christians or even offend God, afra
Gregory
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Help My Unbelief was a tremendously helpful book for me in this season—Barnabas Piper unpacks various doubts and struggles of the Christian life, while carefully pointing out the differences between doubts fueled by stubbornness and unbelief and child-like questions that come from a place of humility. He doesn't seek to answer every question, and that's largely the point. What I found most helpful was to hear his story and to hear another who has been taught well and walked through the questions ...more
Jordan
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Four and a half stars, really.

I appreciate Piper's honesty throughout the book, as well as his concern for the Church; I found them refreshing, actually. To admit we aren't supposed to know all of the answers--that God and His ways are mysterious--was helpful. I'm aware that the bible states that repeatedly, but apparently I need additional reminding. I look forward to some of the recommended reading.

God does not fit neatly into our attempts of systematizing theology. Not that systematic theol
Allen Tsai
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
A faithful and reader friendly treatment on belief. I appreciated how Barnabas distinguished between a faith that earnestly questions in contrast to a faith that questions to critique. He does a good job with tying everything to the foundational necessity of trusting in God and being transformed by that relationship.
Claire
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short and simple (only 3 hours and 45 minutes in the audiobook version), but so good. I wish I'd read this 3 years ago when I was really struggling.
Jerry Hillyer
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Every time I get ready to write a book review, I start to feel like I'm about to do something huge--like lead worship with feeble guitar skills, or send out the starting line-up for a little league game, or get in the ring with a prize fighter. It's always nerve wracking and it's always a bit daunting--especially when the author of the book is someone who is fairly well known and fairly well respected.

With that being said, I have to ask an honest question: Why does anyone want to read a book by
Chris Baik
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's a whole realm of "doubt" books I've read (like Faith and Doubt by John Ortberg, or any book by Donald Miller) that wades into the dangerous seas of confronting the doubt in our lives. I appreciate B. Piper's perspective that if we don't confront it, it will really just eat us alive.

While it's something I have struggled with and I have seen many others in my life struggled with, I feel that the magnitude and manifestation of the type of doubt we face when confronted with life differ great
Ernie Bowman
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Help My Unbelief by Barnabas Piper is a book I expected not to like. The subtitle seemed to encapsulate a pet peeve of mine: “Why doubt is not the enemy of faith.” Doubt has become increasingly cool in some Christian circles (the first time I remember encountering this mindset was in Velvet Elvis and it only spread from there, almost to the point where having a settled and unshakeable faith in God is considered by some to be a mark of sub intelligence.) And so when I picked this one up on the re ...more
Ruth Turner
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The foreword to this book by N. D. Wilson is the best I’ve ever read.

Moving on to the book...

Piper reminds us of what it means to know God. Like Abraham, we should have faith that God is good even when we can’t understand everything. And doubts and questions are part of the Christian life, but what type of questions do we have of God and with what intent? Piper addresses all the options. He moves us from head knowledge and outward obedience to a longing for a relationship with our Heavenly Fath
Eilidh
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent wee book! I happened to stumble across this one in the christian book shop back home and i am so glad i did! I would highly recommended it! The author very helpfully explains faith and how there will always be a tension of unbelief because we are finite and God is beyond our understanding. I really appreciated his honesty and it has helped me to see ways I may say I believe but don't live like I believe. well worth taking time to read and think about the topic of this book.
Dorothy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The gap

This book brought much relief to my Christian mind. I believe, Lord help my unbelief. As a new Christian I was feeling guilty of my questions. As a Christian I do approach God as my father and my questions are looking for answers. This book relieved the guilt of asking those questions. It also relieved me in that I can say, I don't know but my father in heaven doesn't know and that's good enough for me.
Bradley Davis
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Challenging and encouraging at the same time. The topic of doubt is neglected among Christians - at least in a way that is constructive. Piper doesn't give easy answers. Sometimes he unveils a deeper mystery. But it's an invitation to be transformed by God even as we embrace the fact that we don't have all the answers.
Allie
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unbelief can make you feel lonely and alienated. It’s comforting to know other believers have some of the same struggles. This book gave me language for thoughts and feelings I had for years but didn’t know how to verbalize. Quick, easy, and helpful read. Definitely worth your time.
Jeff
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a clear, readable and helpful book for anyone that ever struggles with faith.
Charity
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A much needed message for the church today!
Laura Coulter
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thoughtful, helpful, and well-written explanation of faith.
Jlnpeacock Peacock
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book will be extremely helpful to new believers, but also gives sound teachings that are excellent helps/reminders to those who have walked in the Christian faith for a number of years.
Josh Moore
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did.
Mark Lickliter
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a unique book. It was authentic and honest look at the role doubt plays (and doesn't play for that matter) in the life of the Christian. I highly recommend it!
Jeremy
I read N. D. Wilson's Forward on March 9, 2017. "Do you want to believe? Then you already do. . . . Belief is from Him. Ask for it, and in the asking, you have already received." I would probably like the rest of the book, based on my skimming.
Kyle Robertson
I received this as an ARC from David C. Cook Publishing on NetGalley. I have not read Barnabas Piper's first book, "The Pastor's Kid: Finding Your Own Faith and Identity", but after reading this book I will gladly read Piper's first offering.

This book starts off with a very insightful foreword by N.D. Wilson, in which he points out that the world we live in is "full of broken people with broken emotions and broken minds, looking at the world out of broken eyes." God the Father is trustworthy an
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Myth of a Christian Religion: Losing Your Religion for the Beauty of a Revolution
  • Jesus: A Theography
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • I Am N: Inspiring Stories of Christians Facing Islamic Extremists
  • A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, and Mission Around the Table
  • Seasons of Waiting: Walking by Faith When Dreams Are Delayed
  • The Things of Earth: Treasuring God by Enjoying His Gifts
  • Trouble I've Seen: Changing the Way the Church Views Racism
  • The Measure of Success: Uncovering the Biblical Perspective on Women, Work, and the Home
  • Secrets in the Dark: A Life in Sermons
  • Made for More: An Invitation to Live in God's Image
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
  • iGods: How Technology Shapes Our Spiritual and Social Lives
  • Just Show Up: The Dance of Walking through Suffering Together
  • What Can I Do With My Guilt? (Crucial Questions, #9)
  • Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
  • The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment
  • Onward: Engaging the Culture without Losing the Gospel
Barnabas Piper is a writer and podcaster who lives in the Nashville area He blogs at BarnabasPiper.com, writes for He Reads Truth, and contributes to a number of other sites. Piper co-hosts the popular Happy Rant podcast and works in publishing.
“I would rather live in a world where my life is surrounded by mystery than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it.1” 5 likes
“trust in God stems from understanding His character, not His reasons.” 4 likes