Start by marking “You are the Hero” as Want to Read:
You are the Hero

You are the Hero

(You are the Hero #1)

A 'coffee table' book celebrating 30 years of Fighting Fantasy, the publishing phenomenon created by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. ...more
Published September 7th 2014 by Snowbooks

To ask other readers questions about You are the Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You are the Hero

Start your review of You are the Hero
S.E. Lindberg
The origin of Grimdark chronicled: Many cite Grimdark’s name as being evolved from the tagline of Game’s Workshop’s sci-fi brand of fiction/games: Warhammer 40,0000. The tagline follows: "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.” Of course, GW also produces the fantasy Olde World line up too (medieval fantasy). Check out GW’s Black Library for their books. So before Warhammer 40,0000, what did GW produce? What spawned this tagline of Grim Darkness? The answer: Fighting Fantasy. ...more
Jonathan Hicks
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I need to get some things out of the way. First things first - I’m a huge Fighting Fantasy fan. I’ve been reading them since 1983 and it was the game that got me into the tabletop gaming hobby. I got myself wrapped up in the worlds of Fighting Fantasy, especially Titan, and I played the books, the RPG, the boardgames and the computer games. I was first in line at the UK Games Expo a few years ago to get my 25th Anniversary book signed by Jackson and Livingstone, and I can quite easily attribute ...more
Patrick Stuart
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a big book telling the history of the Fighting Fantasy game books.

Curious things, in years to come they will probably end up being regarded as a 'proto-app' but for those of us there at the beginning they were like an incandescent lamp.

Reading through this brought back a lot of memories, I had forgotten owning and playing many of these books, I had, well, not all, but a lot of them.

To be honest I was bad at Fighting Fantasy, I didn't have the patience or disciple to map properly. I thin
Johnny
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: game-industry
After reading about the founding of Games Workshop in Designers & Dragons: The ‘70s, I wasn’t sure I needed more source material about the company’s decisive product, the Fighting Fantasy series. However, after Allen Varney of Bundle of Holding fame told me about YOU Are the Hero, an entire book dedicated to the best-selling series by the founders of Games Workshop, I couldn’t resist.

Now, I don’t read a lot of books with break-out features and lots of illustrations. It’s probably hypocritical b
Graham
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mick
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Like many readers my age, the Fighting Fantasy gamebook series - beginning in 1982 with The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, holds a special nostalgic place in my heart. An attempt by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone to simplify the mechanics of roleplaying games such as D&D and package them with single player adventure, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain was a massive hit for Puffin books in the UK and worldwide.

I read and played (and cheated) my way through all 59 of the gamebooks which followed mu
Jimbo
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a huge Fighting Fantasy fan and collector, I couldn't wait to read this book. Now i've finished I am gushing about how good it was, whilst also wishing it was even better.

The posiitives are that every book and related item is discussed, all of the authors and artists are interviewed, and the artwork is phenomonal. The casual style of the prose, along with the views from everyone from the authors to the fans, makes this book a huge success/

I would personally have liked to have seen more words
Richard Cosgrove
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has fond memories of discovering The Warlock of Firetop Mountain as an inquisitive book loving twelve year old, I've grown up with the Fighting Fantasy books, and so to have such an exquisitely researched and presented history of them at my fingertips is every bit as satisfying as that first run through Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson's revolutionary undertaking.

Of course, as a huge fan, it does make it a little difficult to be completely objective about You Are The Hero, and my
Michael Kelly
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a superb quality, wonderfully illustrated, fascinating book, a celebration of 30 years of the phenomenon that is Fighting Fantasy.

As someone who is a voracious reader of fantasy fiction and also a keen role-player, the FF series was a key ingredient of my youth (and still is today, as I'm currently revisiting all the old favourites). In many ways, these books still have the potential to trump even the very latest video games, as the use of the reader's own imagination to flesh out the descr
Chris
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Exhaustive but not particularly incisive. I was hoping for insights into the writing process for these game books but the book's more of a nostalgic coffee table book-- though it's well-done for what it is. ...more
Nicholas Smith
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book that took me immediately back to the early 80s and lost Saturdays with my nose deep within one of these books. Very nicely laid out and good interviews with the principal authors and players in the field. If you were there at that time this is a must read. Highly recommended.
Tony
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I met the author at a games convention in 2019 and bought a copy of one of his later game books. At the time, this book seemed big and expensive. Since then, getting a printed copy that was priced for my pocket has been a challenge. I was able to get an electronic copy on Google Play Books for a fraction of the Amazon asking price. And I am glad i did.

It’s an in-depth, roundly researched look at the history of the phenomenon that was Fighting Fantasy. Peppered throughout with FF Facts and glorio
Ashley
Mar 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The best thing about lockdown so far has been reading this and completing Neverland Here be Monsters in the same evening.

I've more time for books now and catching up.
Ask me anything, it's all in here. My mind is blown by the sheer dedication and passion which has gone in to the legacy of Fighting Fantasy over the decades. I used to think my interest was pretty niche, but no, of course absolutely everyone from that era loved these books.

So many famous names from the gaming, fantasy and Sci-fi wor
Christopher Teague
Tremendous and wholeheartedly recommended. Superbly written by Green with an obvious love and affection for the material, complemented with excellent design and superlative artwork.

Exhaustive in research, I had always assumed that I read most of the Fighting Fantasy books as a kid - but turns out, it was probably only half, with Appointment with F.E.A.R and City of Thieves being my favourites. Can always remember reading an FF book one evening, and my mother remarking, "why are you flicking back
Colin Oaten
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book detailing the history of the Fighting Fantasy gamebook range and the events leading up to the creation of the series. In depth coverage of the books themselves and interesting facts around the series. This is the 3rd time ive read it and it is still an excellent read.
Bradley
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Terrific
Daniel Hollands
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really interesting history of the book series, but dragged on a bit towards the end.
Nimo
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good
Richie Brown
I couldn't wait to get stuck into a book that chronicles the Fighting Fantasy saga from the early days where the likes of Zagor and Balthus Dire were mere thoughts in the heads of Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson and, for the first half of the book, it's very hard to put down. However, like the series itself, it begins to lose its way a little when the focus comes off Livingstone and Jackson. Still very readable and interesting, but possibly not one you will pick up time and time again. ...more
Jim Sturgess
Sep 19, 2014
John Dodd
Sep 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Trolltooth Wars (Fighting Fantasy Novels, #1)
  • A Quiet Apocalypse
  • The Weekend Away
  • Miracle in the Mine: One Man's Story of Strength and Survival in the Chilean Mines
  • Writing Interactive Fiction
  • The Abominable Snowman (Choose Your Own Adventure, #13)
  • One Eye Open
  • Semen
  • Prometheus Rising
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Meg and Mog
  • Enemy of God (The Warlord Chronicles, #2)
  • The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles #1)
  • An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural
  • Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends
  • Excalibur (The Warlord Chronicles, #3)
  • K-PAX The Trilogy (K-PAX, #1-3)
  • Never Now Always
Jonathan Green is a writer of speculative fiction, with more than seventy books to his name. Well known for his contributions to the Fighting Fantasy range of adventure gamebooks, he has also written fiction for such diverse properties as Doctor Who, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000, Sonic the Hedgehog, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Moshi Monsters, LEGO, Judge Dredd and Robin ...more

You are the Hero (2 books)
  • You are the Hero part 2