Start by marking “Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move” as Want to Read:
Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move

Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move

(Alexander)

Alexander is not going to leave his best friend Paul. Or Rachel, the best babysitter in the world. Or the Baldwins, who have a terrific dog named Swoozie. Or Mr. and Mrs. Oberdorfer, who always give great treats on Halloween. Who cares if his father has a new job a thousand miles away? Alexander is not -- Do you hear him? He Means it! -- going to move.
Alexander's back, fa
Published August 1st 1998 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1995)

Start your review of Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
Robin
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Growing up in a family that moved a lot, I felt like Alexander. Judith Viorst has a way of making the audience truly relate to the characters, regardless of age. It is a magical gift she has and the readers reap the benefits of her talent!
Riley Conway
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Two decades after Alexander has a terrible day, the poor kid still can’t catch a break. In Alexander, Who’s Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move, a late entry in Judith Viorst’s Alexander series (illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser), our plagued protagonist returns, facing yet another childhood woe: moving (no--not to Australia). Told again in Alexander’s charming voice, he lets the reader know—absolutely, positively, unequivocally—that he will not move. “Never. Not ever. No way. Uh uh ...more
Laura Mincey
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVE the Alexander books by Judith Viorist. This book tells the story of Alexander's unfortunate fate--he has to move across the county because his dad got a new job. Throughout the book, Alexander pouts and refuses to pack his things because after all, he's NOT going to move. His mother encourages him to say goodbye to his teacher and friends, he gets lots of hugs and kisses, but still... he claims he won't move. Alexander shares that he is scared he won't make any new friends and things ...more
Kathryn
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! (I adored Alexander from his Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day and this is only a slightly better situation as he is being forced to MOVE--how hideous!) I think it portrays with sensitivity all the reasons kids DON'T want to move, while also giving a glimmer of hope that there will be good things at the new location. Yet, I liked that it's wasn't a rosy-colored glasses approach.
Christine Hartmann
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alexander and his family are moving because of his dad’s job. His brothers, Nick and Anthony, don’t mind moving. In fact, there are boys that are their age that will be living down the street. However, Alexander does not think he will find any friends in this new place. Alexander thinks of all the people and places he could stay back in his neighborhood. Then, his dad tells him to check out the special places that he will miss. Alexander visits many places while remembering all of the good times ...more
Nancy Kotkin
Alexander is back and this time he's not - "Never. Not ever. No way. Uh uh. N. O." - going to move, even though his whole family is packing. Though Alexander continues to refuse to move, he visits all his special places and people to say good-bye. In the end, he agrees to pack, but he's definitely never going to move again after this time.

Detailed, textured black-and-white drawings by Robin Preiss Glasser (who later did the Fancy Nancy series) stay true to the original characters created by Ray
Nicole Grote
In this edition of the Alexander series, Alexander and his family are moving thanks to his dads job. There is one problem though, Alexander does not want to move. He won't even start packing. Finally, his mother tells him that he better say goodbye to his favorite places, people and things. Alexander does just that and during this process you see him continue to fight the idea of moving. Finally after a bit of persuasion, bribery and acceptance, Alexander accepts the move. The one catch is that ...more
Tracey Melcher
Readers will remember Alexander and his terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. In this new installment, Alexander’s life seems to be getting even worse. When his family is forced to relocate a thousand miles away for his father’s new job, Alexander decides that he is not going to move. Never. Not ever. No way. Uh uh. N. O. Alexander comes up with a number of impractical ideas to keep him from leaving his best friend, soccer team, and favorite babysitter. He finally agrees to move, but it wil ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: what-children
Although this doesn't have quite the same punch as the first book, it's still a entertaining and realistic-ish look at a boy who has to move and isn't happy about it. The illustrations are perfect, too.
Amber
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Nice book to read if you have a student who is moving or even a new student who moved from another state.
Mar 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Alexander's voice comes through with foot-stomping force. His defiance perfectly captures a child's stubborn resolve and ultimate surrender.
Lucia Benzor
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Good lesson about leaving a place you love and people you know. Can show you the upside and about the transition process. Still needs color in the illustrations but well-written.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a story about a grumpy child who think everyones out to get him he does not want to move... he's sure about it
Julia Woodard
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear me? I Mean it!) Going to Move by Judith Viorst is a realistic fiction story that is intended for children between Kindergarten and Second Grade. The story is about a boy named Alexander who finds out that his family is moving to Australia for his Dad’s new job. Alexander doesn’t want to move because he likes where his family lives now. He likes his school and his friends; he doesn’t want to say goodbye.

I really liked this book because the character of Alexand
Claudia
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is about a young boy whose family has to move because of their dad’s new job. Alex does not want to move and refuses to go with his family. He says goodbye to his favorite places in town but says it is not going to be his last. He ignores his family who tries to make him feel better about moving, he just says there is no way he is going to move.
I enjoyed this book, Alex, the main character was cute and the story was very well done. It did not repeat itself and it had a lot of funny mo
Nicholas Ness
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
In this book, from a series of two other Alexander books, Alexander faces the challenge that he and his family will have to move to a new home and he makes it very clear that he is not going to move. This book can be very relatable to students who go through the same issue of moving, or face other issues and find that in the end, everything will work out! I loved this book a lot, because it reminded me of growing up, and I could relate to not wanting to move to a new place. I always took it hard ...more
Nicola
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
We love Alexander's 'Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day'. We liked 'used to be rich last Sunday' (probably me more so than Miss 4, but it was useful for talking about saving vs spending). 'I'm not moving' didn't appeal (probably more helpful if you have an upcoming move).

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to loo
Madeline Volkman
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Children need to listen to their parents and what they say. Sometimes, the parents tell the kids to do something they don't want to do. Even though the children don't want to do it, they still have to. This book shows that even though Alexander didn't want to move, he still did. I thought the book was good, but I think that children might think it is okay to go against their parents since Alexander does, and that is not okay.
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, children-s

I adore Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. So when I saw this book in Goodwill, I figured I could add it along with my personal copy of AatTHNGVBD. I was pleased to see it held up against the original. In fact, the situation Alexander faces in the book left me feeling bittersweet and sympathetic towards him. I will be reading the other sequels.
Heather
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I teared up a little at this book! I felt bad for ol’ Alex. He doesn’t want to move, and who could blame him. He has to say goodbye to his favorite people and places. He doesn’t think anything good can come from this move. Poor kid, even his brothers give him a hard time. The pictures are great black-line drawings. We’ll see what my students think of it.
Theresa
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh I've long thought Alexander is my spirit animal. So much me.

I know that this is supposed to be funny or maybe sappy, but I found it heartbreaking. Poor kids, just along for the ride in their parents lives.

Maybe I'm too tenderhearted. Maybe I'm too anti authority.

Anyway, I love Alexander. If he'd take it, I'd give him the biggest hug.
Tanaia
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
My personal reaction to the book is that it’s a good book I wish it had color illustrations but the black and white had good detail. The book had me thinking that he wasn’t going to move I believe the father was going to come back and say they aren’t moving anymore. So that’s were my curiosity came into play.
Steve Tetreault
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a nice addition to the Alexander series. It opens up young readers to the idea that sometimes we don't want to do something, but when we do, we find out it's not nearly as bad as we thought; it might even be good!
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Who cares if Alexander’s dad moved a thousand miles away and his mother and brothers are packing to move?

He’s putting his foot down. He’s NOT moving.

Loved it. Cherish those black and white illustrations.
Kayla
I liked this book because I could use to to help a student that is struggling with a move. However, I’m not sure if parents would appreciate me having this book in the classroom since Alexander shows some bad behavior.
Kate Matheis
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alexander is not excited to move. He explains why he doesn't want to move and how he plans to stay in his town. Then his family eases him into the move.
Christy
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the other two Alexander stories, but still funny.
Crystal Penate
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think the book could be useful in a classroom, but I did not enjoy the characters much.
Black Carrie
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a relatable book no one wants to move especially not our friend Alex !!!! He's coming up what so many different ideas to stay put awwwww
Cassidy Hamm
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story has a message that a lot of kids can relate to. It can be used to open a discussion about moving.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Sick Day for Amos McGee
  • Peppa Goes Swimming (Peppa Pig)
  • Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)
  • Snowflake Bentley
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
  • Last Stop on Market Street
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
  • Hedgehugs
  • Wemberly Worried
  • If I Built a Car
  • The Littles
  • The Tooth Fairy (Peppa Pig)
  • Peppa's School Day (Peppa Pig: Reader)
  • Bedtime for Peppa (Peppa Pig)
  • Peppa's Christmas Wish (Peppa Pig)
  • Peppa Pig and the Busy Day at School (Peppa Pig)
  • Peppa Pig and the Vegetable Garden
Judith Viorst is the author of several works of fiction and non-fiction for children as well as adults. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, her most famous children's book, was first published in 1972 and has since sold over two million copies. Ms. Viorst received a B.A. in History from Rutgers University, and she is also a graduate of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institu ...more

Alexander (4 books)