Start by marking “The Virgin Way: Everything I Know About Leadership” as Want to Read:
The Virgin Way: Everything I Know About Leadership

The Virgin Way: Everything I Know About Leadership

While building the Virgin Group over forty years, Richard Branson has never shied away from seemingly outlandish challenges that others (including his own colleagues on several occasions) considered sheer lunacy. He has taken on giants like British Airways and won, and monsters like Coca-Cola and lost.

Now Branson gives an inside look at his strikingly different
Published September 9th 2014 by Portfolio (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Virgin Way, please sign up.
LeikHong Leow is a book on how Sir Richard Branson shared with the view about a personal life and business while is a book more about his growing up like a…more is a book on how Sir Richard Branson shared with the view about a personal life and business while is a book more about his growing up like a biobopgrahic (less)

Start your review of The Virgin Way: Everything I Know About Leadership
Vaishali
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
Surprising tales from the renegade icon : his 400+ companies, 50 million+ customers, and his legendary April Fool's pranks ... including one Steve Jobs revealed to be the birth of iTunes.

Quotes, followed by "The Guide" excepts:
-------------------
"I read somewhere once that 10,000 Cokes are consumed around the world every second of every day."

"See yourself as the competition sees you."

"A little shake, rattle, and roll never did anybody any harm."

"My favorite question with internal applicants has
Amit Mishra
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very inspirational book especially for the young entrepreneurs. Richard's story is motivating and captivating.
Gary
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Clearly Mr. Branson is an amazing person and exceptional entrepreneur, which is evident by his success. However, a ridiculous portion of this book is really just a Virgin “puff piece”, which I found exceptionally hard to plow through. There is some sage advice and a few interesting internal Virgin stories but they are hopeless intertwined with the over the top praise of Virgin and its people.

This is how I would break down the books content:

- 40% a Virgin advertisement and promotion, including
Jenny Leiva
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because my husband wanted me to read more serious books and especially business-type books. Well, this was my introduction into those type of books (although I don't know if it REALLY qualifies as "serious.") I actually really enjoyed this one. I thought that overall Richard Branson had some excellent points about leadership, and he portrayed them in an interesting way with lots of stories and examples, both from his companies and other famous companies. I could see that it could ...more
Brad Feld
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Everyone knows that Richard Branson is cool, and iconoclast, a massive risk taker, and amazing successful. But he’s also extremely introspective and articulate. I’ve never met him or been to Necker Island, but plenty of my colleagues have. When I started reading this one, I felt like I was doing something obligatory to read the autobiography of one of our contemporary business legends, but I really enjoyed it and by the end was glad Branson had put the energy into writing this.
Femina Ernest
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Virgin Way" - an ardent & an interesting book. On his narration of his journey with Virgin Group, every nook and corner pave the way to understand THE REAL business, Marketing & Advertising, Customer & Employee preferences, leadership, qualities which help us to attain success, what could let leap you down. Richard's writing induced my brain's frontal lobe to think, to follow few good things like "First Listen", "taking down Notes", "collaboration is good", "Taking Risks", ...more
Denys
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book. I was expecting to read more about Virgin and its inner kitchen. Instead, it was more like "I know this amazing person, she's amazing, you should be like her."
Leah Nadeau
Finally finished! Took me forever to read this book lol All in all it was good. Richard Branson is such a funny trouble maker lol
I like how he likes to have to workplace be a fun and creative place to work. He's alllllll about HR, making sure everyone is happy and loves their jobs, and he throws fun parties and boasts that Virgin is the best place to work at.
He talks about having mentors, learning from others, collaboration is very important and the skill of listening.
He strongly believes in
Gavin
This was my first dip into the expansive Richard Branson library. I hoped to glean a bit of insight into the man’s business brain, and this book, subtitled Everything I Know about Leadership, seemed an apt introduction.

The book left me with mixed feelings. While ostensibly a piece on leadership, The Virgin Way reads as a scattered, chronologically disjointed collection of anecdotes, glued together with commentary that, while insightful or surprising on occasion, is mostly trite. Too many of the
Ryan Lackey
Deeply disappointing. This could have been a great book, but was "phoned in". Essentially generic business book filler, with a few glimpses of Virgin/Branson flavor. The worst thing is this book essentially means there won't be a good version of this same book, which I would gladly read -- Branson and the Virgin companies are amazing and I'm sure there are insights, or even just interesting anecdotes, which he could share if he wanted to.

The one thing I learned from this book is how amazing Sir
AliceinWonderland
- I respect Sir Richard Branson immensely as a successful business person, leader and entrepreneur, but he should really get a ghost writer or biographer. Just because you can run a billion dollar business, doesn't mean you have the skills to write a book.
- Most of it was *painful* to read. Though there are some interesting concepts, the writing is very poor and not compelling in anyway. All in all, quite disappointing. My suggestion is just to skip to the end of the book and read his top ten
Kristen
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great quote: "You can take the person out of the cage, but you can't necessarily take the cage out of the person." This was an interesting look at Richard Branson's business experiences, guiding principles, and innovative ideas. I really enjoyed it and am intrigued by the "no vacation days" concept (along with many others). Brilliant!
Martti
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm starting the year off by scratching off one from my business to-read list.
Branson is dyslexic, but that hasn't stopped him from writing 10 books - which is a bit weird, but in a fun way.
I have never used any Virgin service or product, so I couldn't relate much, but the stories were fun and he had some good points in there. You just need to look past the fact it's 50% a Virgin ad and repetition.

Here are some ideas he points at:
+ Make a positive difference and do some good.
+ Do what you love
Sergiu Strat
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i hope someday i will meet him in person ^_^
Mohammad Shaker
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Richard Branson. The amount of energy bursts out of his words is crazy. A not-at-all-typical book on leadership. Love it.
Aaqif
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A fascinating book written by a phenomenal individual.

Richard Branson is a role model for any aspiring and current entrepreneurs with big dreams about brining forth change through design and creativity.

What separates Branson from someone like Steve Jobs is their style of leadership. Branson is much more of a "friendly" guy, who places high value in having a great time.

He emphasises the importance of great leaders being excellent listeners. According to Richard, saying less can contribute
Skyler Jokiel
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book talks more about how Virgin got started. The thing I found so powerful was that Richard Branson has been pushing the modern company before tech startups started even considering their long list of perks. He's the person you're happy to give your life and career too because he want's to be successful but not at the expense of people or the world. He's really a man before his time when it comes to running a company and leadership. No one has driven a better culture at this scale.
Yelena
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an inspirational read on all levels of business and life! A lot of learning for those who want to become leaders and do not only a job but create experiences for themselves and others that will bring joy, happiness and will transform the life of others for better! Valuable read for everyone regardless of profession
Sam
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ideas, audible, business
Meh. Not much more to say. I imagine a Richard Branson biography would be interesting, but his business anecdotes are less exciting. He does seem to have a freer way with leading business than many others that I've read.
Igor
Nov 18, 2018 marked it as stopped-reading  ·  review of another edition
I have given up reading. It is not bad, but I was expecting something different.

Anyway, for those looking for books about management style, it will be probably interesting.
Ray Hawkins
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Listen - takes lots of notes and keep setting new challenges"
Nabil
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on leadership from a previous generation. Virgin it seems is like the ‘Google’ or the 80s and 90s. Very progressive and fun place to work.
✿✿✿May
It's an interesting read (audiobook). Richard Branson is definitely a character...never finished high school, but went on to be one of the most successful billionaires.
Daniel
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Branson is flamboyant, full of life and himself. He also has some good leadership lessons around listening more than talking, taking extensive notes at all times and a passion for delighting customers and exceeding their expectations.

But also too much self promotion. As expected.
Bob Wallner
The Virgin Way is not really an autobiography, but you learn a bit about Branson’s trials and tribulations. It’s not a book on how to start and run a company as Branson’s form of Entrepreneurship is radically different than say Peter Drucker’s 1985 classic “Innovation and Entrepreneurship”. And it’s not really a leadership book as, what worked for him, might get you arrested or maybe even deported. What the Virgin Way is…100% entertaining perspective on how a people loving entrepreneur broke ...more
Brandon
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read biographies on Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Warren Buffet and Richard Branson. It is amazing how they all create World Class products and/or services, but do it differently than a MBA program would suggest. They all have a lot of Swagger, Vision and Entrepreneurial spirit.

I rate this a 5... not because it was a life changing how-to road map, but because it opened my eyes at how much customer service means to the Virgin brand. It is a lesson that is oftentimes forgotten by many companies.

I
Jane
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enjoyable book for anyone in a leadership or entrepreneur role who is looking for ideas that are a bit different from your normal business reading. There is so much to learn from the success of Sir Richard Branson and the Virgin Group. Love the philosophy of focusing on fun and the commitment to the happiness of their employees and customers. This book is filled with lots of cool stories from the growth of Virgin over the years. I only wish that the audiobook version that I listened ...more
Zora
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always liked and admired Richard Branson. I even heard him speak at an event a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, this book was a disappointment and 3 stars is generous.

Honestly, the book irritated me. It was almost like an advertisement for Virgin and how awesome they are and how no one else is as good as Virgin and how they’re more innovative than anyone else... and I didn’t gain anything noteworthy from reading it. 2.5 stars. Still generous.
John Williams
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! It is a super easy read filled with great stories and insight. WARNING: you may question your life and what you will contribute to the world after reading this... but that's a good thing. It will make you want to do and be more.

I may have looked for a job at Virgin companies after reading this ;)
Marrtthy
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, leadership
Awesome book!

Very catchy you have to still thinking about your next step how to start, lead or improve your business. Recommended to all with an entrepreneurial spirit.
Goodreads Librari...: Need to add cover 7 16 Oct 04, 2015 01:38AM
Reading Along Wit...: Richard Branson: “The Virgin Way” 1 5 Oct 28, 2014 06:05PM

• Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • Sales Dogs: You Do Not Have to Be an Attack Dog to Be Successful in Sales
  • Hábitos de ricos.
  • MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
  • No Bullsh*t Leadership: Why the World Needs More Everyday Leaders and Why That Leader Is You
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
  • Alibaba: The House That Jack Ma Built
  • The Code of the Extraordinary Mind: 10 Unconventional Laws to Redefine Your Life and Succeed On Your Own Terms
  • Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist
  • Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • The Infinite Game
  • Way of the Wolf: Become a Master Closer with Straight Line Selling
Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson is an English business magnate, best known for his Virgin brand of over 360 companies. Branson's first successful business venture was at age 16, when he published a magazine called Student. He then set up a record mail-order business in 1970. In 1972, he opened a chain of record stores, Virgin Records, later known as Virgin Megastores and rebranded as zavvi in ...more
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” 23 likes
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” 21 likes