Start by marking “What Hedge Funds Really Do: An Introduction to Portfolio Management” as Want to Read:
What Hedge Funds Really Do: An Introduction to Portfolio Management

What Hedge Funds Really Do: An Introduction to Portfolio Management

When I managed a hedge fund in the late 1990s, computer-based
trading was a mysterious technique only available to the
largest hedge funds and institutional trading desks. We’ve come
a long way since then. With this book, Drs. Romero and Balch lift
the veil from many of these once-opaque concepts in high-tech
finance. We can all benefit from learning how the cooperation
between
Published September 1st 2014 by Business Expert Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about What Hedge Funds Really Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Hedge Funds Really Do

Start your review of What Hedge Funds Really Do: An Introduction to Portfolio Management
Marcin
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I am a vivid fan of the Coursera MOOC platform. While all the courses available at coursera.org are free of charge (at least in the basic form), in some cases their authors try doing some kind of promotion for their books (which are usually somehow associated with the content of the course). This was the case for "What hedge funds ...".

Definitely when you read this book as an accompanying text for the "Computational finance" course it does provide You with deeper insight into the course material
Chris Esposo
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Although I had this book as part of a reading list for a graduate level course on algorithmic trading, I found the subject-matter/context enjoyable enough to read through in it's entirety. To be sure, this is by no means an "exhaustive" nor an "authoritative" text on the subject matter of hedge-funds. However, the author did not intend this text to serve this case. Instead, the book serves as a nice clean , and quick introduction to the world of trading, with an especial focus on the mechanics o ...more
Carina Cai
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Was supposed to read it as a recommended text for a course within the first 2 weeks of the quarter, but I ended up reading it afterwards. It gives a clear and vivid introduction to portfolio management, and for me, served as a nice recap of the course. Not sure how the course or the book will help me with my own investment, but time will tell :)
Baoxu Shi
Good introductory book for understanding basic concepts in investment markets. This will not teach you how to do quantitive trading, but it gives you an idea of what this job looks like and what you should look into if you are serious about it.
Faisal
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A great easy introduction to hedge funds and related portfolio theory.
Martin
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Apart from the formatting which is really substandard, the books gives a pretty good introduction to technical aspects of portfolio management
Alex
Oct 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Decent intro book, with emphasis on "intro" ...more
Kasen
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Decent introduction into finance and investing.
Woo
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Somewhat simplified but, a really easy way to get a good idea on what quants do.
Victor
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Very basic introduction of what hedge funds do, I read this book as part of the Udacity course Machine Learning for Trading
Justin
Dec 08, 2017
Jan Marie
Apr 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness
  • Get Anyone to Do Anything: Never Feel Powerless Again--With Psychological Secrets to Control and Influence Every Situation
  • The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail—But Some Don't
  • Rage
  • How Markets Fail: The Logic of Economic Calamities
  • Super Founders: What Data Reveals About Billion-Dollar Startups
  • Python for Finance: Analyze Big Financial Data
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and the Breakthroughs We Need
  • Chaos: Making a New Science
  • When Nietzsche Wept
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • Billion Dollar Loser: The Epic Rise and Spectacular Fall of Adam Neumann and WeWork
  • Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments, Volume I: Strategic Play
  • Ask Your Developer: How to Harness the Power of Software Developers and Win in the 21st Century