Start by marking “Common Sense Pregnancy: Navigating a Healthy Pregnancy and Birth for Mother and Baby” as Want to Read:

Become a mama without the drama

When you’re pregnant, your friends, the Internet, and even your doctor often give advice that leaves you anxious and overwhelmed. You deserve a calm, straightforward, no-nonsense pregnancy. It’s time to dial down the stress and dial up the common sense. Common Sense Pregnancyis a breath of fresh air: accessible, authoritative, funny,
Published June 9th 2015 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Common Sense Pregnancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Common Sense Pregnancy

Start your review of Common Sense Pregnancy: Navigating a Healthy Pregnancy and Birth for Mother and Baby
Kristen Jett
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This will likely be THE book I give to friends who discover they're expecting. Just as you would expect from the name, it's a thorough and easy to read guide that walks you through most of the important decisions you'll have to make while pregnant.

What I appreciated most was that you're given both sides of each situation - there's no agenda here! You know you want an epidural? She explains what you need to know. Considering going all natural? She gives tips, guidelines, suggests methods to
Ensley
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Y’all-, I can not recommend this book highly enough. Forget about What to Expect When You’re Expecting, this is THE book you and your mama friends will need/want to read when you’re pregnant. It’s simple, straightforward, and just like the title suggests-COMMON SENSE. This moves away from the fear-based, highly medicalized birth model and more towards the midwife model. I’ve read it twice and my husband enjoyed it as well. I kid you not-THE BEST PREGNANCY BOOK.
Angela
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh, this was fine.

I found the most valuable section to be the postpartum/"what to do with your new little blob" stuff - that is, what to expect in terms of the process of recovery from giving birth, the proper care and feeding of your newborn, and the logistics of pumping breastmilk. The labor and delivery section was also pretty helpful; quite detailed in, e.g., the stages of labor, how an epidural gets inserted, and so on. The pregnancy stuff was fine.

I didn't love the tone though, and I
Farraas Muhdiar
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pregnancy
The book is simple and straight-forward, but comprehensive enough to prepare you for what's coming. It's also balanced and realistic; it doesn't try to sugar coat the fact that labor & breastfeeding could be painful for some; but will be rewarding nonetheless.
Kristin
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like this book. It's just like the title says "common sense" which I really appreciated and found a relief after reading too many books with way too much information. I got this book from the library and skipped ahead to "prenatal education and birth plans because I am at 28 weeks and curious about delivery options. I don't feel like I missed anything by jumping ahead and instead got some invaluable advice. Great book!
Rhonda
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great reference book with straight-forward, clear advice. I love this author's voice. This isn't a book I read from cover to cover, but instead picked through it chapter by chapter. As an American living abroad I don't encounter some of the problems discussed in this book, but I still appreciate having them pointed out.

I would have liked more focus on pregnancy rather than just the birth, but maybe that's because I'm still pregnant ;)
Holly McCormick
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very informative without a "one-fits-all" approach.
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, pregnancy
Strait forward information with a gentle, non-judgmental tone.
Alana
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Rooted in her experience as a labor and delivery nurse and mother of four, the author does a great job of describing the wide range of what is considered “normal” during pregnancy and childbirth. Like the title says, she emphasizes a common sense approach: educating yourself so that you can make informed decisions about your pregnancy and birth, however you want that to look. Bonus points for being really easy to read and written in a way that was useful/helpful to my husband, as well.
Autumn
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Insider perspectives from a labor nurse and maternal health advocate. Critical of the common interventions practiced in labor in delivery. Focused on mom's wellbeing, prenatal and postpartum. Full of helpful practical details and totally judgment-free. My top recommendation for anyone in their first pregnancy!
Jessie C
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vanessa Princessa
I read this book in Blinkist.

The key message in this book:

Pregnancy and childbirth are experiences that are both beautiful and challenging. So it’s best to be well prepared. Get organized so that you can make your birth as easy and comfortable as possible.
Paula
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only pregnancy book I would recommend to my friends. Straight forward, honest - but not brash, and realistic.
Megan Piao
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truely informative, both for women hoping for a hospital or more natural birth. Great read
Catherine
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No nonsense

This was the book Iv'e been searching for. Enough of what I wanted to know and none of what I didn't.
E
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pregnancy, women
Good, solid, compassionate advice. I'm enjoying Expecting Better more, but this is still a great choice.
Amanda Mitchell
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Qualifications for a book that explains what happens before, during, and after pregnancy, and how to navigate all of those stages:
1. It uses gender neutral language when referring to the fetus/baby. Or in absence of that, often switches between using "she" and "he" when not referencing gender specifically.
2. It does not insult the reader's intelligence regarding use of alcohol, unlike the vast majority of pregnancy books. The alcohol section is a litmus test for whether the author/this book
Claire Drolet
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't read this cover to cover, but I feel it was a wonderful no-nonsense guide, and made me feel more prepared for and informed about what was going to happen. The whole matter-of-fact tone of the book put me at ease. The author stressed the important points of seeing pregnancy and birth as a normal physiological process, recognizing when your doctors might be more interested in mediating risk than doing what is actually right for you, and advocating for your needs and wishes. It seemed (in ...more
Kristen McBee
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-prose
All these pregnancy books are starting to blend together. This one sets itself apart because it feels more honest. No girlfriend jokes that aren't funny. Just helpful information about each step of the journey. I appreciate that.
Stephen
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very light read, going in I had some idea that I would not be particularly fussy about many particulars of pregnancy, this book highlights points that I could/should focus more attention on and reminds you of perspective. The author is an R.N. and midwife who has spent a large portion of her life delivering, so she writes about what is likely to occur while not forgetting to note the differences and to keep in mind your own/partner's birth experience may vary, and describes the spectrum. ...more
Lara Quarterman
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wanted a book that would cut through all the BS of typical advice for pregnant women, but this one didn't quite do it. It had some interesting information, but was still written from a very medical point of view and the language was still mildly condescending. Also a very American take so not necessarily appropriate for those outside of the US.
Jessica
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book to help prepare you during your pregnancy. It really helped me understand what was going on during my pregnancy and doctors appointments and what would happen during/after labor. It prepares you for all aspects of pregnancy; the good, the bad, and the disgusting that no one really talks about!
Bonn
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This really was straightforward and clear.I appreciated the author's experiences as both a nurse and mother. She presented all sides of an issue as objectively as possible, truly making it a range of options for you to choose from instead of only crunchy granola vs. over - medicated extremes.
Bethany
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this as part of my doula recertification and found it accurate and helpful. I think all expectant women could benefit from the flexible, non-judgmental approach presented here.
Kat
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First time mom to be here and I loved this book! Great writing style and down to earth. Easy to understand and not terrifying!
Kyley
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Straightforward advice and information that skips the fear mongering of so many pregnancy books. Short and to the point. Definitely recommend.
Emily
Carly
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
confident or nervous? 3 4 Jul 31, 2015 11:06AM

• Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • Like a Mother: A Feminist Journey Through the Science and Culture of Pregnancy
  • Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Strong As a Mother: How to Stay Healthy, Happy, and (Most Importantly) Sane from Pregnancy to Parenthood: The Only Guide to Taking Care of YOU!
  • The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions, and Restoring Your Vitality
  • The Fifth Trimester: The Working Mom's Guide to Style, Sanity, and Big Success After Baby
  • The Danish Way of Parenting: What the Happiest People in the World Know About Raising Confident, Capable Kids
  • The Science of Mom: A Research-Based Guide to Your Baby's First Year
  • The New Rules of Pregnancy: What to Eat, Do, Think About, and Let Go Of While Your Body Is Making a Baby
  • After Birth
  • Let's Panic About Babies!: How to Endure and Possibly Triumph Over the Adorable Tyrant who Will Ruin Your Body, Destroy Your Life, Liquefy Your Brain, and Finally Turn You into a Worthwhile Human Being
  • Nurture: A Modern Guide to Pregnancy, Birth, Early Motherhood—and Trusting Yourself and Your Body (Pregnancy Books, Mom to Be Gifts, Newborn Books, Birthing Books)