Start by marking “I Will Never Get a Star on Mrs. Benson's Blackboard” as Want to Read:
I Will Never Get a Star on Mrs. Benson's Blackboard

I Will Never Get a Star on Mrs. Benson's Blackboard

Roses teacher gives stars for spelling and neatness and giving the right answer, but Rose cant manage to do any of those things right. Will she ever get a star from Mrs. Benson?

Rose is a distracted and creative soul. She does her best at school, but sometimes her mind wanders, and she answers the wrong question. Her reading voice is quiet, not strong and loud. And her desk
Published June 9th 2015 by Candlewick Press

Be the first to ask a question about I Will Never Get a Star on Mrs. Benson's Blackboard

Start your review of I Will Never Get a Star on Mrs. Benson's Blackboard
Donalyn
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
The whole concept of publicly awarding some kids stars each day is so upsetting to me as a teacher and parent that it colored my impression of the book.
Liza Nahas
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations & good story. I was starting to get all teary & worried for Rose because she was feeling like a failure. But, she & Mrs. Benson find her strength in the end.
Kelly
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I Will Never Get a Star on Mrs. Benson's Blackboard by Jennifer K. Mann is a nominee for the 2017-18 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

Rose really wants a star on Mrs. Benson's blackboard. She tries her best, but she's not the best math student, a loud reader, or all that neat. She wonders if she'll ever get a star.

One day, an artist comes to class, and he inspires Rose's artistic side. When the class makes thank you cards for the artist, Rose uses that at her opportunity to shine.
Aylea
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Rose wants to get a star of Mrs. Bensons blackboard more than anything, but she cant seem to be good enough to make it happen. Shes not good at math, she cant read loud enough, and her desk isnt neat. Lucky for Rose, though, the bell rings early enough that her desk doesnt get inspected and she gets to school early so she can make her desk spic-and-span. When they start making thank you cards for a classroom visitor, however, her desk gets messy again! Mrs. Benson isnt mad, thoughRose gets a ...more
Reagan Busbee
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-lit
Rose is convinced that she just cant do anything right! All she wants is to get a star on Mrs. Bensons blackboard. She tries to answer questions, read aloud, and pass out snack but she keeps messing up! One day she even goes to school early and cleans up her desk, but by the time Mrs. Benson checks, it is messy all over again! Will Rose get a star on the blackboard? Read the book to find out.

Opinion: This book is sweet and simple, it does not overcomplicate the idea and it doesn't need to. I
Riley Cockerham
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is about young Rose whose only wish is to get a star on her teacher Mrs. Benson's blackboard. Rose is not very good at school and does everything she can to try but still does not do the problems right. When a artist comes to their class to speak Rose is captivated and inspired to paint him a beautiful picture to say thank you. When Mrs. Benson see's her picture and the mess that surrounds it Rose is sure she will never earn a star, but Mrs. Benson surprises her.
This book was really
Bailey
Feb 06, 2020 added it
Shelves: rdng-305
I Will Never Get a Star on Mrs. Benson's Blackboard follows Rose through out school as she tries to get a star next to her name. She can never seem to do anything good enough to get a star, but when a painter comes to visit the school, Rose gets the idea to become a painter. That idea just might get her the star she wants.
I enjoyed the story and waiting to see if Rose was going to get a star the blackboard next to her name. The illustrations were messy but so was Rose and I think there is
Dawn
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I should have read this one ahead of time. It made me sad. I didn't like that this kid is working so hard for public recognition and feels like she will just measure up. In the end, she does get recognized for her talents. I wondered what my students thought about it. It has potential for a great discussion.
Marfita
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
No matter how hard she tries, Rose can't seem to win a star for the day in Mrs. Benson's class. She tries math, reading, and even cleaning her desk. In the end, her art wins her a star - on the condition that she clean up the mess at her desk.
And she gives Mrs. Benson her own star.
Cute, primitive drawings.
Cmeiss330
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great picture book about a little girl who I identified with deeply. I was very similar to Rose back in the day. Hopefully this book will help other kids who are constantly daydreaming in their own little worlds realize that they are worthy too. <3
Andrea
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, fiction
Kelly
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book to show different talents for everyone!
Kris Dersch
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kidslit, picture-book
This felt stodgy and old-fashioned. I hope schools don't still work this way although I have my suspicions.
Clare D
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-reading
Such a wonderful book for the creative child! I will definitely be adding this to our grade school library! We all get stars when we work hard but maybe for different things!
Julia Bennett
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
By choosing different that that kids excel at, Mrs. Benson is letting kids know that while they may not be strong in some areas they do very well in other areas.
Stephanie Croaning
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, 2017
Picture book, fiction
Interest Level: K-3; Reading Level: 2.3
2 out of 5 stars

This is meant to be an uplifting story about a young girl getting recognized for her unique abilities. Unfortunately, most of the book is a really negative look at publicly shaming students in class and the depressing effect that has upon children.

Rose's teacher rewards students who perform well in class by writing their name on the board and putting a star next to their name. Rose really wants to have her name on the
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I Will Never Get a Star on Mrs. Bensons Blackboard, written and illustrated by Jennifer K. Mann, is a sweet story.

Schoolteacher Mrs. Benson gives stars on the blackboard for spelling and math and right answers and neatness. Rose just KNOWS shell NEVER get a star because she cant seem to give the right answers on anything. She likes to doodle, and her desk is always messy, too. Mrs. Benson doesnt give stars for that.

One day, Mr. Sullivan comes to visit the class and he talks about being an
Marcia
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book since it was on the MO Show Me Readers Award preliminary list for 2017-18.

I thought this would be a great book for story time since most students can totally relate to messy desks in their classroom. I like that the teacher could look past the messy desk to show her students that she cared about them.
Marissa Kendrix
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Summary: Rose watches all her classmates raise their hands and answer questions correctly to receive stars on Mrs. Bensons blackboard. Rose finds herself struggling in math, reading aloud, and keeping her desk neat and clean. She starts to feel defeated and believes that she will never receive a star on Mrs. Bensons blackboard. It must be Roses lucky day when the release bell rings right before Mrs. Benson gets to her desk to check for neatness. Rose got to school early that next morning to ...more
Tasha
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Mrs. Benson gives stars on her blackboard for things like spelling, neatness and raising your hand. Rose though, struggles with all of those things. Plus she isnt good at math, her voice is too quiet for a star in reading, and she spilled snack on Mrs. Benson. Rose had been distracted by the artist who came to speak with them and dreaming of all of the things that she could create. At the end of the day, there was going to be a check for desk neatness, and Rose knew that she would never get a ...more
Carol Royce Owen
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm really on the fence about this book.
Rose really wants to get a star on Mrs. Benson's blackboard, but no matter what she does, it never seems good enough. Her anxiety grows and grows until she is almost sick. This reminded me of my own experiences with a 5th grade teacher who would only count us present in the morning when we showed her we had a hankie (or tissues) and clean hands. Many of the boys, and a few girls, got sent to the nurses' room to get sorted out, and only when they returned
Arminzerella
Rose would really like to get a star next to her name on her teacher, Mrs. Bensons, blackboard, but the kids who get stars get them for things like spelling or neatness or raising your hand and saying the right answer, and Rose never seems to be able to do these things. That doesnt stop her from trying, though. And when she makes the biggest and bestest thank-you card for a classroom visitor (and also the biggest and bestest mess), she finally achieves her goal! Roses attitude (dont give up!) ...more
Dawn
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Rose doesn't do particularly well in school, and as a result, had never gotten a star on the blackboard. When an artist comes to talk at the school, she is inspired, but still worries about getting in trouble because of her messy desk. When the class makes cards to thank the artist for visiting, Rose's beautiful card finally earns her a star.

Meh. Didn't love this one. Probably because I am not artistic and would much more likely get a star for getting a math problem right than for making a
Maisy Albaugh
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
I highly enjoyed this book. I think it would be a great book to bring in the classroom. The theme of this book is something every student can relate to at one point in their life. A good lesson can come out of this books for younger children. It reassures students they don't have to be like every other student for their teacher to praise them. It also teaches students that while you my struggle in some areas, you can succeed in others! It was a very encouraging book to continue trying your best ...more
marmix
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Ayler chose to give this one 3 stars. She said she is very similar to Rose's character in that she is artistic and a little bit messy (or a lot messy, if you ask her mother). Ayler, on the other hand, says she knows how to "act" to get all her stars on the board. Oh boy.

I would have given it 2 - I suppose I'm happy to see Mrs. Benson's growth in finally learning to embrace the idea that all children are unique, but think about all the damage she may have caused in trying to shame those children
Nativida
May 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Tracie
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Rose really wants to win her teacher's praise, but fears that she'll never listen closely enough to ace math questions, project her voice enough to read aloud, and keep her desk neat enough to please Mrs. Benson. But when Rose's artistic passion and creativity inspire extra messiness, Mrs. Benson's reaction demonstrates that there are many different ways to excel.

This story feels "real," in the sense that many young readers will relate to Rose's worry that she'll never be good enough and her
Tracey
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-bks
Rosie is certain she will never get a star next to her name on the blackboard, because Mrs. Benson only gives stars to neatniks and kids who follow the rules. Rosies mind often wanders and her creativity tends to get a little messyfine, a LOT messy. But Mrs. Benson is not as imperious as she seems at first, and Rosie and the rest of her class learn that there is more than one way to earn a star.
Original post on http://mackinbooksinbloom.com/2015/06...
Irena
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about the concept of stars presented in this book. It bothers me that some children may never receive those stars, which could damage their self esteem. But also being rewarded for one's handwork is always motivating.

What I don't have mixed feelings about is the moral of this story, which is that people all have different things they're good at. I feel like that is very important for every child to know.
Sheri
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story for read alouds to the child who never earns 100% in spelling or gets a perfect grade on math tests, science tests or whatever in the lower grades. It shows that every child has a talent in some area and can succeed even if their desk grows creepy crawlies due to the saving of everything and candies and cookies from Halloween in December. And the m.c. learned something at the end worth remembering.
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Get Your Teacher Ready
  • Goodnight Already!
  • You're All Kinds of Wonderful
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book about Manners
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Take Your Octopus to School Day
  • Vader's Little Princess
  • 100 School Days
  • Star Wars: ABC-3PO
  • Henry's 100 Days of Kindergarten
Jennifer K. Mann was an architect before turning to childrens books full time. Two Speckled Eggs is the first book that she has written and illustrated. She lives on an island near Seattle with her husband, children, cats, dogs, and chickens. ...more

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...