Start by marking “Raising Rufus” as Want to Read:
Raising Rufus

Raising Rufus

Readers who loved E.T., Free Willy, and Jurassic Park will dive right into this adventure story about what happens when an extra-average eleven-year-old boy gets an extra-large pet: a giant T. rex!

In the unremarkable town of Menominee Springs, Wisconsin, lives a twelve-year-old explorer named Martin, who one day stumbles across something remarkable.

It’s an egg. But
Published June 9th 2015 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Raising Rufus, please sign up.

Ms. Yingling
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Netgalley.com

Martin is a quirky kid growing up in Wisconsin. He's a bit geeky, and class bully Donald (whose father happens to be the sheriff) gives him a hard time, but he's pretty happy working in his lab in his backyard, especially when he find a "frozen rock" while exploring. The rock turns out to be an egg, and hatches a tiny lizard, Rufus. Martin isn't supposed to keep pets, so he tells his mother he'll get rid of it, but of course he doesn't! With the help of Audrey, a classmat
Alison
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fearless-15ers
Your classic boy and dog story except that the dog just so happens to be a dinosaur. Readers will root for the main character, Martin, his quirky new friend Audrey, and, of course, Rufus. Lovely characters, a compelling story, and dinosaurs make for a perfect middle-grade mix.
Mike Grosso
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book that will make you want your own pet T-rex. Rufus is appropriately cute and terrifying, and the combination of stress and love Martin feels comes across as very real.
Sara Grochowski
I kept thinking the T-Rex was going to eat someone. It didn't. Sorry for the spoiler.

Review forthcoming!
Jen Bojkov
Full-disclosure: I did not finish this book. I read about 5 chapters and felt like I had enough of a gist of what was going on that I did not need to complete it to recommend it. That being said- it wasn't as engaging as I had hoped and is probably the main reason I did not finish reading it. This is the story or a boy, Martin, who prefers science and roaming nature to sports even though his dad is local, former football hero. There are the requisite bullies and a spunky girl as his sidekick- to ...more
Dorine White
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Story-
Martin Tinker is a 12 year-old boy who would rather collect rocks and bugs than play sports. He spends most of his time in the family barn arranging his collections. On the search for new rocks, he comes across a crack in an old quarry mine and discovers an iced over egg. Surprise! the egg hatches into a T-rex that Martin names Rufus.

Raising Rufus is hard work. He is constantly growing and wants meat. Martin turns to jumbo cans of dog food to keep his pet happy. As time passes, he just
Jana
I received a copy of this middle grade novel from the author to place in my library at school. He was hoping to spread awareness of this book. I am so happy that he sent it to us, because I really enjoyed reading it and I'm excited to share it with my students.

Raising Rufus pulls the reader in right away with characters that are very authentic. My students often have a difficult time getting hooked into books unless they can relate to the characters. The eleven-year-old protagonist, Martin Tinke
Paula
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Eleven-year-old Martin loves hiking in the areas surrounding his house and on one of his outings he finds a large frozen egg. It hatches into what Martin thinks is an unusual lizard. He names it Rufus and Rufus immediately bonds to Martin. As Rufus starts growing at a rapid rate, Martin does a little research and discovers that Rufus is actually a T Rex. Since he isn’t allowed to have pets, Martin and his new friend Audrey must hide Rufus, not only from Martin’s parents but also from the outside ...more
J. Mann
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eleven-year-old Martin is out on an expedition deep in the woods behind his house when a near-death experience in a quarry yields him a strange frozen object. This new find quickly becomes the centerpiece of his science collection hidden out in the barn (a.k.a. his lab). The strange object melts and Martin watches as it hatches, making him the proud parent of one very ugly lizard. But when the lizard turns out to be a T-Rex, and begins to grow, and grow...this proud papa has more than a few prob ...more
Allyson
I was pleasantly surprised by this book! When loner Martin finds an odd oval shape thing near some fossils, he takes it home to add to his collection. In a short amount of time, he hears cracking and see the oval start to move until it finally hatches! Inside is a deformed lizard who doesn't like to eat lettuce, apples, or bread, but gobbles up moths. Martin names the lizard Rufus and keeps it in his science barn, attempting to hide him from his parents, who have forbidden him to have any type ...more
Missy
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, juv-fiction
Raising Rufus ticks a number of hard-to-fill boxes in my librarian brain: action-packed books about a boy who is not an athlete; a science fiction book that isn't about viruses, computers, or time travel; a book with pretty straight-forward boy-appeal (sorry, folks, it's a thing in our profession); a book in which there are some good adults and some bad adults and some in-between adults. I could probably keep going, if necessary. I liked Martin, our main character; he has imagination and heart. ...more
Murray
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, booktalk
A fun humorous adventure story for late elementary school readers. Martin is a 6th grader in Menomoniee Springs, Wisconsin who doesn't have any friends and he likes to hunt for fossils and bugs. On one of his expeditions he finds what he thinks is an oval rock concealed in ice, but once the ice melts and the rock cracks open Martin discovers he actually had an egg. A dinosaur egg that contained a T-Rex. Problems ensue when Martin tries to keep Rufus hidden from his family and neighbors and how i ...more
Gail Nall
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, middle-grade
So much fun! Loner Martin finds an egg that -- surprise! -- turns out to be a baby T Rex. I loved both Martin and his new friend Audrey. The adult characters are really well done, too. And who wouldn't want a dinosaur for a pet? Martin gets just that and then finds himself in a race against time and adult greed to save Rufus. Kids are going to eat this up!
Krista Ivy
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
a fun read of a boy who is lonely and finds a friend in an animal, though it isn't the typical kind of animal. he finds a stone that he polishes; it turns out that the stone was an egg that hatches for him. inside is this strange looking lizard with the wrong amount of toes and small front paws, plus he's a bit tall for a newborn lizard.
The Reading Countess
Perfect for reluctant readers, this one will be read for our "boys only" book club in March (thanks to David Fulk for agreeing to Skype with us)! However, Raising Rufus will be enjoyed by any reader eager to turn the page to find out what happens. Good vs evil, bullying, science and problem solving are all tied together.
MIriam Spitzer Frankllin
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story! You'll immediately fall in love with Martin, even before he discovers he's "mom" to a T-Rex! What a fun and exciting adventure, and you'll be rooting for Martin and Audrey as they try to save their friend from all evils. Lots of humor, and full of heart.
Laurel Gale
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got to read an ARC of this book, and I'm glad I did. Rufus, the dinosaur, was my favorite character. I was rooting for him the entire time, and I'm sure kids who read the book will, too. Martin's problems relating to his father and his classmates add depth to this fun adventure.
Jenni Frencham
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lots of telling instead of showing in this one, and the third-person narration got a bit awkward at times. The idea of a kid trying to raise a dinosaur is hilarious, though, and I'm sure my patrons will love this book, even if I'm not a fan.
Shannon
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this one out loud. It flowed nicely.
N = 4* and B=5*
Carol Eshaghy
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Martin is a misfit at school with no friends. When he finds a frozen egg that hatches into a dinosaur his life changes in unimaginable ways. Enjoyable middle school book.
Sandra Waugh
So very kid friendly!
Mark
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Boy raises dinosaur. Hopes it doesn't eat anyone, or him.
Miriam Klein
Dec 01, 2015
James Lynam
May 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • My Near-Death Adventures (99% True!) (My Near-Death Adventures, #1)
  • Almost a World Record Breaker (Teddy Mars #1)
  • Has Anyone Seen Jessica Jenkins?
  • Dr. Critchlore's School for Minions
  • I Am Drums
  • Wish Girl
  • The Year of the Baby (Anna Wang #2)
  • Breaking the Ice
  • Dead Boy
  • Peanut Butter and Jellyfish
  • Honey
  • Blackbird Fly
  • A Dragon's Guide to the Care and Feeding of Humans (A Dragon's Guide, #1)
  • Howard Wallace, P.I. (Howard Wallace, P.I., #1)
  • The Island of Dr. Libris
  • Ava and Pip (Ava and Pip #1)
  • Ruby Reinvented
  • The Boy Who Crashed to Earth (HiLo, #1)
David Fulk a playwright, screenwriter, and editor living in the Los Angeles area. His debut middle-grade novel, RAISING RUFUS (Delacorte/Random House), released in 2015.