Start by marking “The Velveteen Rabbit” as Want to Read:
The Velveteen Rabbit

The Velveteen Rabbit

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  204,577 ratings  ·  3,158 reviews
In this extraordinary new edition, Donna Greens' beautiful and evocative paintings bring poignant meaning to a classic tale that remains as compelling today as when it was first published in 1922.Margery Williams' famous story tells of a young boy and his treasured favorite toy, a splendid "fat and bunchy" rabbit, whose ears are lined with a pink sateen.

For this new editio
Published January 6th 1958 by Doubleday (first published 1922)

·  204,577 ratings  ·  3,158 reviews

Rachel C.
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and deeply touching. At Meredith's wedding last year, her brother and sister read a passage from this book, including the below - an inspired choice.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
Bill
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, favorites
A terrific book, even as an adult, but it gave me quite a scare as a little kid. See, I actually managed to get scarlet fever in the first grade, and because of The Velveteen Rabbit, I was terrified that someone was going to come in and force me to burn all of my toys like the kid in the book had to when he was sick. Thankfully, though, medicine advanced beyond toy burning in between the publishing of this book and 1982, so my G.I. Joes were safe.
Elyse Walters
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I wrote a review about this book on this site at one time or another.......

The review may be lost ---my memories of this book never are!

I own it.......
Its a children's favorite!

*Thanks Duane --for re-visiting of memories from when you recently read it!
Duane
Shame on you "Toy Story", you knocked off "The Velveteen Rabbit' and didn't even say thank you. Of course this was published in 1922, seventy-three years before Toy Story, so most of today's children haven't read this, which is a shame because it's a sweet story, soft and gentle like the little rabbit.
Sylvain Reynard
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some children's books should be read by adults. This is one of them. It examines the transforming power of love.
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Regine
Shelves: given-away, childrens
The Velveteen Rabbit or How Toys Become Real by Margery Williams Bianco (1881-1944) was originally published in 1922 when she was 41 years old.

Tonight is my first time to read this book. Shame on me. It only took 15 mins to read it and at first I was totally not impressed. I thought I already saw the theme of previously-cherished toys being discarded either in favor of a newer or more hi-tech toy or when the child becomes an adult used in Disney/Pixar's movie Toy Story. I also thought I already
Agir(آگِر)
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Agir(آگِر) by: Christy
What is REAL?’ asked the Rabbit one day…
Real isn’t how you are made,’ said the Skin Horse.
It’s a thing that happens to you…

But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly

description

Florencia
This review was written months ago. A mix of Christmas, children, family, presents and literature brought it to the surface.
Dec 19, 18

After watching another Friends marathon I noticed that The Velveteen Rabbit was mentioned twice. First, in a 1997 episode, "The One with the Dirty Girl" and four years later in "The One with the Halloween Party" since it was Chandler’s favorite childhood book. (That's not how a geek sounds.)

I wrote on some review that I wasn’t particularly fond of rabbits. When I
Jane
I remember this book being devastatingly sad to me when I was a child. Upon re-reading as an adult, I got misty-eyed, but was not nearly as upset. I'm not sure if that's because I was more prepared for what would happen, if it was just a by-product of being a grown up, or if it has anything to do with seeming a bit old-fashioned now that the story is nearly 100 years old.

In The Velveteen Rabbit, we follow a stuffed bunny from the time he enters a young boy's nursery one Christmas morning, throug
Carol
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First published in 1922, a REAL gem of a classic!
Julie
I just read this to my 4-year-old daughter (after reading it to my son for years) and when I looked over through my watery eyes and saw the little tears racing down her cheeks, it confirmed for me that she would always understand the more precious aspects of life. If you love this book or you have children and don't know this book, I HIGHLY recommend the audio version with Meryl Streep as narrator and George Winston on piano. It is sublime.
Hilary
Beautiful illustrations and a wonderful story about how toys become real when you love them enough, we knew that of course but we suspect some might not realise this so it has a very important message.

There are some sad bits and it was hard to read aloud in places, but a happy ending!
Aryn
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book scarred me for goddamned life. I still can't get rid of a stuffed animal. Do you have any idea how many stuffed animals live in my basement because of this book?
Terence
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My nieces
Recommended to Terence by: Maevisvintage
This is my teddy bear:

His name is “Teddy” and I have no recollection of getting him, but he has been with me for over 35 years. I can’t say that he and I were (are) as close as the Boy and his Rabbit. I have no memories of sleeping with him nor of fervently clutching him when afraid nor of making ersatz bear dens for his comfort but he was always on the periphery of my life. Lurking on top of my dresser, carelessly tossed on the bed or (today) carefully packed away with a few other childhood tre
Bionic Jean
At what age does a child learn what is real? How long does the blurring between fantasy and reality persist, for a young child? And when harsh reality kicks in with a vengeance, isn’t a little bit of magic lost forever?

The loss of childhood innocence is always poignant. Adults sometimes continue to live in our imaginations and dreams through stories, so we may manage to hang on to a little bit of this magic through our adulthood.

The Velveteen Rabbit (or How Toys Become Real), is a much-loved cla
Maggie Campbell
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
Emily May
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
What a beautiful and touching story. I was truly blown away by it's originality and subtle message... there is nothing much else to say: it is a heartbreaking story. I cried and cried and just wanted the opportunity to love the Velveteen rabbit forever.
Manybooks
A simple but profound story of how one small toy velveteen rabbit becomes "real" (through so-called nursery magic and because the velveteen rabbit is perceived as being real by the young boy who sleeps with it every night and plays with it every day), but I do have to admit that I am actually more than a bit glad I did NOT encounter Margery Williams Bianco's classic as a very young child (for I did indeed and very much akin to the Boy own a stuffed rabbit toy that was in many ways exactly the sa ...more
Pramod Nair
There was once a velveteen rabbit, and in the beginning he was really splendid. He was fat and bunchy, as a rabbit should be; his coat was spotted brown and white, he had real thread whiskers, and his ears were lined with pink sateen. On Christmas morning, when he sat wedged in the top of the Boy's stocking, with a sprig of holly between his paws, the effect was charming.

Originally published in 1922, The Velveteen Rabbit (or How Toys Become Real) is a classic children’s story by the English-A
Tisha
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It's one of my hobbies to read the books which come up in movies or tv series. I don't know why it makes me happy! So, for this one, I have to thank Chandler Bing from FRIENDS! :D

I totally loved this book! It reminded me of 'Toy Story' though, my all time favorite animated film!
Awwww, the velveteen rabbit! My eyes were almost teary until the fairy came! :'(

Beautiful book with some beautiful writings! ^_^
Wendy Darling
My favorite book of all time . . . .with timeless themes of love and loss. If you've never heard Meryl Streep pitch-perfect reading of this book, or seen David Jorgensen's beautiful drawings, you've never really experienced it properly.
Ronyell
Velveteen Rabbit

“The Velveteen Rabbit” is Rabbit Ears’ first classic story that is based off of Margery Williams’ popular tale and it is about how a toy rabbit learns the true meaning of being real. With Meryl Streep’s tender narration, George Winston’s soft music and David Jorgensen’s beautiful illustrations, “The Velveteen Rabbit” is an instant classic that children will watch over and over again.

What made this video truly memorable was Meryl Streep’s tender and soothing narration. Meryl Streep gives the st
Audrey
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful beautiful story. During my second year of teaching, I started taking 30 minutes or so on Fridays to read a children's story to my juniors, and then we'd discuss it in the context of a shared letters project that was ongoing through the year. It never failed that I would cry every time I read this story -- the whole concept of being real as it is explained in the book just moves me so much. When you are shabby and well-worn and your whiskers are rubbed off and your fur is patchy, ...more
Shirley Revill
My children and grandchildren loved this book and I must admit I loved it too.
A wonderful classic children's story. Recommended.
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
The Skin Horse had lived longer in the nursery than any of the others. He was so old that his brown coat was bald in patches and showed the seams underneath.

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
One of the earliest books I can remember...special place on my "childhood shelf."
Dustin

Originally published in 1922 by the George H. Doran Company with heartwarming illustrations by Jean Chandler (new to this edition, circa 1986,) Margery Williams wrote a magical (albeit long, for Children’s Literature,) story about a tattered and weary stuffed rabbit, on the cusp of losing all hope of discovering how to be, and the true meaning of, Real.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. One might think I’d read this before; that I’d, in fact, be well-versed in such an iconic and timeless tale. T
Sharon Metcalf
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
My reading this morning of The Velveteen Rabbit was a lovely stroke of serendipity. Having read a review for a WilliamFaulkner title I decided to check my library catalogue to see if it was available. It wasn't. Oddly not even one Faulkner but right there in the search results was The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams and illustrated by William Nicholson. I hadn't read it but most certainly had heard of it so figured why not?

This charming little story is one I'll definitely bring out if ever

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
  • The Story About Ping
  • Strega Nona (Strega Nona, #1)
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • The Real Mother Goose
  • The Emperor's New Clothes
  • Serendipity
  • The Mitten
  • Babar the King
  • Socks
  • Make Way for Ducklings
  • Pat the Bunny
Margery Williams Bianco was an English-American author, primarily of popular children's books. A professional writer since the age of nineteen, she achieved lasting fame at forty-one with the 1922 publication of the classic that is her best-known work, The Velveteen Rabbit.
“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
1682 likes
“Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.” 348 likes