Start by marking “A Greyhound, A Groundhog” as Want to Read:
A Greyhound, A Groundhog

A Greyhound, A Groundhog

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  1,956 Ratings  ·  438 Reviews
From a heavyweight author and illustrator duo comes a delicious tongue twister of a picture book that features a little round greyhound and a little round groundhog.

With very spare, incredibly lively language, this is an entertaining read-aloud, with two amazing—and oh-so-adorable—characters at its heart.

When a greyhound meets a groundhog, wordplay and crazy antics ensue.
Perma-Bound, 32 pages
Published 2017 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about A Greyhound, A Groundhog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Greyhound, A Groundhog

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book is super cute, but the pictures below will tell you the real reason I bought and read this book ♥

I love my Greyhound ♥

Around, round hound.

Around, groundhog!

Around, brown hog.

Around, grey dog!

The point of this book isn't the story (there is no story) but instead to serve as a tongue-twister and make the adult reader and the child laugh.

A groundhog and a greyhound meet and spend the day chasing each other around a field.

The pictures are beautiful. I would recommend this. It's fun.
Carol
Sincere thanks to my GR friend LauraH for taking the time to recommend this simply delightful children's picture book.

Subtle toned greys and browns go round and round in this tongue twisting, beautifully illustrated book just begging to be read out loud.
David Schaafsma
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books, and we have been doing this for years. Everyone rates each book and adds a comment and it may (or may not) affect my overall rating. This is book #6 of 2017.

Tara: 4.5 stars. Love it! Like the Pear Bear book. And nice watercolors.
Harry (12): 3.5 stars. Didn't get what it was really trying to say, but art.
Hank (11): 2.9 stars. Made me so dizzy! Didn't get the message.
Lyra (10): 3.5 stars. Pretty good! I liked the idea, and
Jessica
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my word! Not only is the art simply delicious, but the words are delightful! A poem, a tongue-twister, a darling story all in one, and seriously: THE ART.
Donalyn
Fantastic read aloud! Practice first.
KC
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful tale and fantastic illustrations.
Kaethe
Loved the water color art and the feeling of motion Appelhans brought to the illustrations. What can I say? I'd been meaning to read it because I like Jenkins' work consistently, but to spot it on Groundhog Day? It was meant to be. And so pretty and frenetic.

Library copy
Hannah
A GREYHOUND, A GROUNDHOG is a deliriously delightful whirl of a book. With a nod to Ruth Kraus’ playful use of language (Jenkins even dedicates the book to her), the text artfully, rhythmically spins round, tying the reader’s tongue as it bounces along without ever becoming tiresome or repetitive, despite the limited palette word-wise. Appelhan’s gorgeously spare watercolor illustrations complement the prose perfectly--his greyhound and and groundhog are joyously expressive, full of movement, an ...more
Ariel
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I picked this book up intending to bring it along with me when I substitute teach but after going through it I see it just won't work. There is no story to keep the kids engaged. The text is rhyming words and adorable illustrations of a greyhound and a groundhog that play together. I would use this book if I was teaching a child to read but it's a tongue twister to read out loud and there is no story to follow. This book makes me realize what a genius Dr. Seuss was. He created simple rhyming sto ...more
Laura Harrison
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glorious with mind-blowingly good delicate and beautiful illustrations. Love it!
Nadine Jones
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, dogs
I am a dog lover, and one of my dogs looks a bit like the dog in this book, although she is neither gray nor a greyhound, she is long and slim and pretty and a little bit silly (although she would never admit that), and I could NOT resist this book!! This is short and simple and sweet and I challenge you to read it out loud without tripping on your tongue. (I could not do it.)
KC
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great rhyming tale of a greyhound and a groundhog with fantastic water color illustrations.
Jen
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the tongue twisters in this book! They certainly tripped me up a few times. And the illustrations are too cute for words!
Raina
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e
My kid was super into this for a while - great wordplay combined with friendly illustrations.
It was one of the first books they read to me all the way through in one sitting!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Tongue-twister....would be a hilarious read aloud but need to practice to make it work
Great concept well executed
Tasha
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a picture book that will leave you breathless in two ways. First, it is an astounding feat of wordplay that romps and gallops. Second, if you read this aloud I guarantee you will be out of breath by the end, much to the delight of your little listeners. A long lean greyhound that is round when it curls to sleep meets a very round brown groundhog and the two of them spend time playing together. They run and dash, filling the pages with movement and speed. The book takes a lovely pause sud ...more
Barbara
While this picture book is a departure from the usual serious issues, themes, and topics that I like to explore in my reading material, it is a delight to read aloud because of the tongue-twisting elements that are in the text. Although it doesn't have much of a plot other than the fun a greyhound and a groundhog, a most unlikely duo, have in their time together, the fun comes from examining the illustrations, rendered in watercolor and pencil, and hearing all those carefully-chosen words that d ...more
Maria Shuffit
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun little tongue-twister book - I would most recommend it for children who are comfortable with their reading skills and might find it fun to have a challenge to read aloud. I would veer away from having kids who might be struggling with reading aloud, as it is a sound play that can get discombobulating and might discourage them. It would be good for an adult to read aloud to young children - even I was getting my tongue turned around when I read it to my guy!
Megan Smith
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Oh, just lovely. I read this, put it down, made myself a cup of tea, grabbed a copy of e. e. cummings' poetry and then immediately read this again, followed by more poetry. The illustrations are delicate and perfect, too.
Ngoc
Aug 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
I'm so confused as an adult, not sure how a child would react.
Majera
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: future-children
Super cute tongue-twister!
Alisa
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love all things greyhound, so when I saw this title among the best of 2017's books, I had to check it out. Literally. From the library.

Emily Jenkins' A Greyhound, A Groundhog is a children's picture book and tongue twister. The illustrations by Chris Appelhans are beautifully soft and pastel. Appelhans captures the fluid movements of a greyhound with finesse. My only gripe about this book is that the greyhound is grey! Most greyhounds are NOT grey--they come in a variety of lovely color combin
Amelia
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wordplay is the name of the game in this simply told tongue twister of a story featuring the titular characters romping through a field together and ultimately startling butterflies into the air. Appelhans' watercolor and pencil illustrations feature minimalist backgrounds that contribute to the charm, with the round beady eyes staring at you from the pages and capturing your attention as the brindled hog and Merle dog enjoy the simple things in life. Made for sharing on a clear spring day, it's ...more
Dolly
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2017, childrens, rhyming
With a rollicking narrative and sweet watercolor and pencil illustrations, this story shows how a dog and a critter have fun on a nice day. The story has no real plot, yet I can imagine that it would be a fun book to read aloud with children.

I would caution, however, that it is a bit of a tongue twister, so I would read it a few times for practice before reading it aloud to a group of children. Fun, quick read.
Megan (ReadingRover)
I love this book. The story is a tongue twister that seems to speed up as you read on and the illustrations are fantastic. I think this would be a ton of fun to read out loud especially to younger kids.
Stina
Book #32 for 2018
Goodreads Summer Reading Challenge: One & Done - Read a book that you can finish in one day
Key Words Challenge: May - Dog

This was a fun little tongue-twister of a book. There isn't really any discernible plot, as such, but I liked the artwork a lot. I'd recommend this if you want something light to read aloud to a kid and you are up to the vocal challenge.
Kifflie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A tongue-twisting tale about a dog and a hog. While the text is fun, I think the illustrations are better -- they do a great job of showing the two animal friends in motion. Definitely a good read-aloud book.
Hannah Higson
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ks1, picturebooks
I read this alongside Victoria. She loved it and I was not a fan. I think the pictures are beautifully drawn and help show what the text was inferring. However, I did not enjoy the tongue twister part of it.
Scottsdale Public Library
A greyhound befriends a groundhog, they whirl around into a frenzy, and as they do so the text becomes frenzied as well. Fun to read aloud (try reading it all the way through without getting tongue-tied; very hard to do!). Accompanied by beautiful illustrations. - Sara Z.
Emily Jenkins is the author of many books for children, including the recent picture books Tiger and Badger, illustrated by Marie-Louise Gay, and Princessland, illustrated by Yoko Tanaka. Her chapter books include the Toys series, illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky; she is co-author of the Upside-down Magic series. Emily Jenkins lives in New York City.