Start by marking “Caveboy Dave: More Scrawny Than Brawny” as Want to Read:
Caveboy Dave: More Scrawny Than Brawny

Caveboy Dave: More Scrawny Than Brawny

(Caveboy Dave #1)

A new graphic-novel series by New York Times bestselling author Aaron Reynolds!

His grandpa invented fire. His dad invented the wheel. How will Caveboy Dave leave his mark?

Dave Unga-Bunga has always been more scrawny than brawny. This is a major problem when your village expects you to become a meat-bringer. At age twelve, all young cave-people must stalk through the eerie
Published November 1st 2016 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Caveboy Dave, please sign up.

Carrie Gelson
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Seriously silly graphic adventure. Will be such a hit in my classroom! Love that it is a series with a prehistoric inventor hero.
Jonathan
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having personally taken Aaron Reynolds out to dinner when he did an author visit at my school I can attest to the fact that he is a genuine nice guy who is truly funny. This book exemplifies that and brings excitement and humor to reading that will for sure be enjoyed by the intended audience. It was fun seeing the creative ideas he came up with for caveman explanations for items and although the book was written for humor it also had a great message to go along with it.
Kayden
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
It was ok not as good as I had hoped🤔😕
Kelly Mahoney
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and off-beat. It was fun imagining an inventor in caveman times. The premise was clever, and the characters entertaining. Kids are going to enjoy the series.
Hanneke
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ook geschikt voor vegetariërs 👍 grappig streesboek voor jongens en meiden vanaf 9 jaar.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Reynolds, Aaron Caveboy Dave, 241 pgs. Illustrated by Phil McAndrew GRAPHIC NOVEL Viking, 2016. $20.99 Content: Language: G; Mature Content: G; Violence: PG.

Dave comes from a long line of inventors, but nobody seems to appreciate his inventions (such as a fork) in his caveman community. As Dave has hit the age where he has to prove himself, him and his friends are supposed to hunt one of the Big Six deadly animals and bring home food for their people. Dave finds that his inventive mind might he
Mehsi
Ik ben echt zo blij dat ik dit boek uit de bibliotheek heb meegenomen, want wat was dit boek superleuk! Je weet wat ze zeggen, als je niet sterk bent moet je slim zijn. Wel dat is precies Hannes. En het is nu tijd voor zijn Ga-uit-de-grot ritueel die hij samen met kinderen moet doen van zijn leeftijd. Ze moeten 1 van de grote zes vangen (die alle 6 hilarische namen hebben). Gelukkig heeft de groep Hannes. Ja, hij is een watje (en soms vond ik hem een tikje vervelend), maar hij bedenkt wel alle s ...more
Destiny Henderson
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: really-liked-it
Caveboy Dave by Aaron Reynolds and Phil McAndrew (239 pg) is a pleasant surprise rampant with gross-out and clever humor. Even though its audience is children, it does not treat them as if they are stupid. I had not expected much from this book, but it has earned a new fan. Dave is a loveable but, of course, misunderstood inventor, who comes from a long-line of cavemen inventors. During the caveman equivalent of a coming-of-age ceremony, he tries to find himself and not get killed. I enjoyed the ...more
Steph
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel was adorable! Just enough potty humor to make the kids laugh without causing adults to be irritated by it! My kids really love the prehistoric era so they will adore this. As far as graphic novels go, this is also very easy to follow with super cute illustrations. I also love that there is a not-too-preachy message here, and Dave's inventions are adorable! Gotta love that Aaron Reynolds!

--------------

"Have you seen me? I'm roughly the size of a pebble."
Scooping it Up
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read aloud comic for my 7 year old. It was RIDICULOUS, and the dialog was so funny I begrugingly laughed more than I'd bargained for. The older kids would often join reading time when they heard it from the other room. FAR more clever and entertaining than I'd thought going into it. I really think in general reading comics out loud is cumbersome and annoying. But I started doing voices to help differentiate the characters and this was a huge hit.

This ended up being a seriously cute comic.
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 4 stars
Art: 3 stars

Humorous graphic novel about a prehistoric boy finding his place in his cave-people community. On the silly side but with more serious underlying themes concerning being true to oneself, appreciating other's strengths, and teamwork. Caveboy Dave - the nerdy, scrawny, underwear inventor - is way ahead of his time.

The art is a little over the top at times in its attempt to be humorous. But the story is worth overlooking that.
Rachel Genovese
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, ya
I finally got to read Caveboy Dave! I've been looking forward to this for months. It's a fun children's graphic novel about Dave Unga-Bunga, the grandson of the inventor of fire and the son of the inventor of the wheel, and how he wants to prove himself. I like the ridiculous situations and the humor. Thanks for the recommendation, Sam!
Genevieve
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
How is it that I read 2 caveman graphic novels in as many weeks? This one was a quicker read than Lucy and Andy and I enjoyed it more, though it's arguably different. Where that one was more educational, this one is more silly. If Brown didn't have the name recognition, I'd think this would do better. 2nd-4th
Stephanie Tournas
Hilarious graphic fiction. Dave is more of an inventor than a hunter, but when it comes to the coming of age ritual "Baby Go Boom," bringing home the bacon is more where it's at. So he and his friends set off to complete the quest with more fear than cheer.. Slapstick, wordplay, gross-out, cleverness - kids will be rooting for Dave and laughing their heads off.
Mary
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of a series, this 240-page color volume was just fun.
Not muscular enough to conquer and kill the big beasts by force, Dave spends his time being creative and inventive. Taking ribbing from his comrades, Dave saves the day in the end.
Andrea
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really cute graphic novel by the author of one of my favorite picture books, "Creepy Carrots." A cute coming of age story with plenty of juvenile humor that made me laugh. Kids will really enjoy this new series.
Krissy Neddo
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Will have to buy at least 2 copies of this new graphic novel by the "Creepy Carrots" author. Will recommend to my fans of Zita the Spacegirl. Humorous and tons of wordplay and a few STEM references built into plot. Fans will be eagerly awaiting sequel.
Ellon
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-2018-bes
I can definitely see kids enjoying this book. At first, I was annoyed with the mix of “caveman” things and modern things (like wrapping their kill in bacon) but I ended up thinking that this added to the charm of the book. The drawings were kind of crude but fit with the caveman theme.
FullyBooked
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Straight up, hilarious. Got it from the library and I laughed so hard. Artistic level is great, comedy is through the roof, can’t wait to see if they make more books! If you’re one for giggles and chuckles, you would be utterly insane not to check this out!
Colette
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Aaron Reynolds has given a new meaning to the big 6, humor, and underwear. Friendship, team work, and especially using ones head to figure your way out of a deadly situation is best of all in this quick reading graphic novel.
Kara Taylor
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great graphic novel that young kids will enjoy.
Rebecca Shelton
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely hilarious!
B
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cute- using it for book club!!!
Kate
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I call it a ... fork. For short.
OH, I GET IT! For krack-scratching

^^fantastic
Pam
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A slap stick comedy about the prehistoric coming-of-age ritual (Baby-Go-Boom) and Dave's own special way of finding out who he truly is...
wildct2003
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun to read.
Galion Public Library Teens
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Review by J.H.: "Dave's grandpa invented fire and his dad invented the wheel. Dave plans to invent the one thing that everybody needs. If he doesn't he will be sent to the forest to meet his doom."
Barb Dixon Palmieri
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is an event coming up at work where I'll be discussing 4 books with kids ages 6+. This is one of the 4 books. I wasn't sure that I wanted to read it but decided to read it at work during breaks since I needed to know something about it. It aggravates me that parents and grandparents think that graphic novels have no place in a child's hands. I've been told that there is no substance to these types of books and that there are way too many pictures. I agree that there are a lot of pictures. ...more
Rachel
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Caveboy Dave has a good head on his shoulders. Like his forefathers, he can create new inventions. Sadly his own father doesn't think they quite live up to the family standard, and so he sends off his son to participate in the village's coming-of-age ceremony. The Baby-Go-Boom requires all twelve year olds to go out and hunt one of the big six, thus proving themselves contributors to the community. Dave though, well he's rather scrawny, and he knows he has no chance. During the course of the hun ...more