Start by marking “The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)” as Want to Read:
The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)

The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi

(Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)

While holidaying in Italy, Angela Marchmont is persuaded to postpone her trip to Venice and go to Stresa instead, to investigate a pair of spiritualists who are suspected of defrauding some of the town’s English residents out of their money. But what starts out as a minor matter swiftly becomes more serious when one of the residents in question is found dead in the ...more
Published September 10th 2014 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi

Start your review of The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)
John
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ebooks
I felt that this was one of the better entries in the series so far; almost, but not quite, stands alone. Characters were varied, rather than stock, and mostly English as Angela doesn't speak Italian. Setting made a nice change of pace from English country houses.
Pauline Ross
Good grief, that was the most amazing fun. The sixth Angela Marchmont amateur detective series, set in the twenties, sees Angela holidaying in Italy, tangling with spiritualists and meeting an old acquaintance, a certain jewel thief by the name of Edgar Valencourt, last seen charming Angela in The Treasure at Poldarrow Point, book 3 of the series. I always hoped he’d turn up again, but his reappearance was even better than I could have imagined.

The mystery this time is nothing terribly
Anne
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
how can one not like a book that throws the word imbroglio around?
Marley
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Angela comes of age! I'm surprised at some of the criticism of this entry; that is, it wasn't so interesting because it was it takes place in Italy, not a country house in some isolated spot in the British Isles. The plot isn't as gory as some others in the series, but that's OK. And so happy to see the return of Edgar Valencourt. Yay! I have to agree with him that he and Angela have a bit more in common that Angela would like to admit. Actually, I think she knows it too, and that's what scares ...more
Peter
Sep 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: awful
I really don't think these 'Clara Benson' books were written in the early 20th century. The book is a perfectly fine 'cosy' mystery, but I don't buy the story that it had recently been found by the author's family.

Writers of popular novels from the 1900 - 1930 era, like Jane Abbott, Edgar Wallace, E. Philips Oppenheim, Edna Ferber, Margaret Sydney, Willian McLeod Raine, or Angela Thirkell, include a great deal of description in their novels. Typically, there are pages and pages of detailed
Marjorie
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read the first books (started with the three "Freddie" books) just to find out what they were (questions about the authors existence were intriguing ; were these newly discovered cozy murder novels written in the 1920's? Or written by a modern author mimicking the 20's writings of , say Margery Allingham???)

I love these books and am so addicted now. So thankful for kindle unlimited for feeding that addiction!! However I am sure the author , who maintains a viable Facebook page, is alive, well
Balaji
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Plot-wise, definitely not the greatest, but if you have been following the series from the start, you would absolutely enjoy this one. You get to know more about Angela, which I liked reading very much. Also, new relationships are formed, which I'm hoping would continue in the following books.

The Story is set in Italy, where Angela has gone for a vacation, but a sudden detour takes her to Stresa, where there is a man hanging to his death. Everyone assumes it is suicide since there is no evidence
PeterK B
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy the characters and not in a rush to get into the murder
Once again, barely a 3 star rating. This is a murder mystery .... why does the author spend so many pages introducing secondary characters, and their tour of Florence. (This is a murder mystery!)

Why not have the murder occur much earlier? I have now read most of this series and I do like the primary character Angela, but someone new to the series may not read very far into the book. Nothing much of significance happens for a long time. Dining, touring, chatting ... a boring seance that does not
Scot
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sixth in the series. Angela is off to the Italian Lakes region, but her holiday getaway en route to Venice, which was intended to help a friend check out the practice and possible scamming by a medium and fortune teller, gets complicated by running into a dashing, raffish man she had encountered in an earlier book, and then she discovers a dead body while on a picnic. Nice sense of culture and practice of tourism then and there.
Susan
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
While on holiday in Italy Angela Marchmont receives a request from her friend Mary Ainsley to vist them at Stresa and investigate two spiritualists. As her husband is convinced they are defrauding people of their money. But the investigation becomes more important when a body of one of the English residents in the town is discovered dead.
Another enjoyable and well-written mystery in this series
Gabi Eagon
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Romance and Mayhem

In book 6 Angela Marchmont has travelled to Italy She was planning to visit Venice when she received a telegram from Mary Ainsley and her minister husband They needed help in the town of Stresa concerning some fortune tellers that were leading his congregation astray. Angela stays longer than she wanted due to two mysterious deaths. Great story.
Tracey North
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent series

Loved it! This whole series is just one delightful book after another. I am looking forward to reading more about Angela's adventures and hope to for a long time.
Cathy
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I like the setting in Italy, but the murder mystery was a little weak. The ending though will have me reaching for book #7.
Teddi
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a fairly solid book but rather full! and plodding.
Jodi Lee
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love these books, they are an easy read but still great stories
ShanDizzy
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story contained too much of the occult for my taste. I still like the characters and will read the next in the series.
Whistlers Mom
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can't decide if this is a romantic mystery or a mysterious romance, but it's my favorite in this series.

You know you're an Angela Marchmont fanatic when you download the latest book and read it until you can't stay awake one more second and then eagerly polish it off the next day while the morning newspaper sits in your driveway. Wars and political dust-ups must wait while I find out what Angela has gotten herself into now.

It's murder, of course. You know how she is. She's on vacation in
Maureen Hetzel
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the change in locale to Italy and return of the romantic jewel thief. A fun read and the plot and style increase with each addition to the series
Damaskcat
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Angela Marchmont is on holiday in Italy and has plans to go on to Venice when she receives a telegram from a friend who is married to the vicar of an English church elsewhere in Italy asking her if she can help with a problem. Reluctantly Angela changes her plans and goes to see Mary. Her husband, Jonathan believes a local spiritualist is enticing his congregation away from him and wants Angela to investigate.

Angela is a little reluctant to get involved but decides it can't do any harm to book a
Rosemary
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This series just gets better with each installment! In this one, Angela Marchmont gets roped into investigating a couple of mediums who are plying their trade in a resort on Italy's Lake Maggiore. But of course, that's not the real crime that's happening in Stresa, and soon Angela finds herself caught up in a much darker scenario. And her old nemesis/flame, Edgar Valencourt, turns up, just to make things even more complicated. Fortunately, Valencourt brings out the best of Angela's acerbic wit, ...more
Debbie
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I'm not even going to say anything else for fear of giving something away. It's awesome.
Okay, one thing: Yet another Agatha Christie parallel for me: Angela's relationship with Edgar Valencourt puts me in mind of Hercule Poirot and the Countess Vera Rossakoff throughout the Poirot series! :)
I will say that I have noticed that Clara Benson has a love affair with the word perspicacity. I have seen the word at least once (the last book she used it three times!) in most of her
Elisa
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As always, a delightful gem. It really doesn't matter whodunit, because the whole story is such a treat. Born in 1890, Clara Benson wrote several novels featuring Angela Marchmont. She was unpublished in her lifetime. After her death in 1965, her family started publishing her work. As an avid Agatha Christie fan, I was pleasantly surprised to discover this author. I can't wait for the next in the series.
Elmira
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I am so sad to have finished the last book in this fabulous series. Because the author died before concluding the series properly, I'll never know how Angela made her fortune, or if a certain young man will continue in his unacceptable career path. Sigh. I'm going to have to make my own continuation of the series!
Dorothy
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mystery and romance

This book is a little different from the others in this series in that there is a hint of romance for our heroine with someone we met in a previous story. The mystery itself is resolved in a rather sudden and unsatisfactory way, unless I missed something as I was reading. In any case this is a fun, light read.
Betty
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book in Clara Benson's fascinating series set in the Golden Era of mystery writing. The setting is fantastic and the author manages to make me feel that I am right there, enjoying every minutes of Italy's fascinating Lakes District.

I'm loving this series and sorry that it will have to come to an end soon.
Melissa
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This one left a lot of loose ends -- which made sense, as one gets the sense that a mystery that happens while on vacation in Italy would not wrap up nicely and be tidy. Eventually you have to leave: and what is left undone is left undone. It works, loose ends and all.
Ken Hines
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but I didn't particularly like it as much as all the rest of the series. I missed the other characters that are usually in the books. I feel like nothing was solved and the end was awful. I didn't find out anything that happened and she takes off with a man and just left.
Yvonne Davies
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
He's back

Set in Italy whilst Angela is on holiday. Edgar the notorious jewel thief makes another appearance. Had to get used to the Inspector not being in the book as he was in the others. Has Angela got her man
Mary Beth
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mrs. M is celebrating the New Year at a Scottish castle. As the snow piles up, so do the bodies. Add stolen scientific papers, a spy ring and even an old flame, all which guarantee Mrs. M a holiday to remember.
James Saunders
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi

I enjoyed the book. The book seems to be very modern in many ways. It has little touches of humor that I like very much. All in all, it is a very good book. I RECOMMEND it.

• The Saltwater Murder (Posie Parker Mystery #7)
  • Aunt Bessie Wonders (An Isle of Man Cozy Mystery Book 23)
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle,#6)
  • Murder on Eaton Square (A Ginger Gold Mystery, #10)
  • All Tied Up (Deadline Cozy Mystery #3)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • Murder on All Hallows Eve (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #15)
  • Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel (Churchill & Pemberley #1)
  • Murder at the Boat Club: a cozy 1920s murder mystery (A Ginger Gold Mystery)
  • The Somerset Case (A Markham Sisters Cozy Mystery Novella Book 19)
  • Murder at the Tea Party: 1920s Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 2)
  • The Egyptian Antiquities Murder (High Society Lady Detective Book 3)
  • House Party Murder Rap (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 1)
  • Snuffed Out (Deadline Cozy Mystery #2)
  • Lady Rample Steps Out (Lady Rample Mysteries #1)
  • Hijinks & Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #18)
  • Murder at Blackburn Hall (High Society Lady Detective Book 2)
  • Murder at St. George's Church (Ginger Gold Mysteries #7)
Clara Benson is the author of the Angela Marchmont Mysteries and Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures - traditional English whodunits in authentic style set in the 1920s and 30s. One day she would like to drink cocktails and solve mysteries in a sequinned dress and evening gloves. In the meantime she lives in the north of England with her family and doesn't do any of those things.

If you want to be

Angela Marchmont Mystery (10 books)
  • The Murder at Sissingham Hall
  • The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
  • The Treasure at Poldarrow Point  (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)
  • The Riddle at Gipsy's Mile (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 4)
  • The Incident at Fives Castle (Angela Marchmont Mystery #5)
  • The Problem at Two Tithes (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #7)
  • The Trouble at Wakeley Court (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)
  • The Scandal at 23 Mount Street (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #9)
  • The Shadow at Greystone Chase (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 10)