Start by marking “Wonderland” as Want to Read:
Wonderland

Wonderland

Among the numerous curiosities that have gone unexplained in the classic tale Alice in Wonderland, perhaps the most perplexing might be who, exactly, is the "Maryann" that the White Rabbit mistakes Alice for at the beginning of the story? Lewis Carroll first made us ponder this and, years later, Walt Disney again made viewers wonder who Maryann might be in his classic
Published 2008 by Disney Press

Start your review of Wonderland
Mir
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, graphic

Who is Mary Ann?

The White Rabbit's maid never appears in Carroll's book. This isn't exactly an alternate-viewpoint retelling of Alice and Wonderland so much as a postscript. Alice has disappeared, as she does at the end of the novel, but the shock waves of her tumultuous visit are still reverberating. Some denizens of Wonderland hope for her return, while others fear it.

And what was up with those sisters in the treacle well? (view spoiler)

This was cute and
Shannon
This contained incredibly whimsical artwork and about what you would assume you'd get from a prequel set in Wonderland, which is what this is supposed to be, except the story wasn't much fun at all. I expected confusion and befuddlement, but I didn't wish to feel like I wasn't paying enough attention or that I'd possibly skipped a page (which did actually happen quite often as the pages are really thick in the hardcover; that's possibly user error but still annoying nonetheless.)

This is a
Betsy
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Betsy by: John Peters
It’s amazing how many artists, authors, filmmakers, poets, and creative personalities feel a need to put their own distinctive stamp on Alice’s Wonderland. From creative stage productions to creepy films to horrible television shows, there’s just something about Alice. She casts a spell over us. Lewis Carroll knew not what he wrought when he brought Wonderland into our world, and various Wonderland-related permutations have continued unabated ever since. The newest addition to the Alice oeuvre, ...more
Megan (ReadingRover)
Wonderfully illustrated graphic novel about Mary Ann, the White Rabbit’s house maid and house. A little lengthy and story not so great but the artwork is fantastic.
Sarah Hadd
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I love the idea of Mary Ann’s side of the story, since the White Rabbit’s insistence that Alice is in fact a housemaid named Mary Ann had always been one of the funniest moments in the story, in my opinion. But I guess I’m not a huge fan of graphic novels in general.
Scott Robins
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, gn
I ended up liking this a lot more than I thought. Wonderland tells the untold story of Mary-Ann, the White Rabbit's housemaid, who the Rabbit mistook Alice for in the original Alice in Wonderland book. This graphic novel expands on the mythology of Wonderland (far more successfully than the recent Alice In Wonderland movie directed by Tim Burton) including the fates of the other card queens and kings. Kovac gets the wacky characters, the world logic and the overall surreal aspects of Wonderland ...more
Bry
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
This was an interesting take on the Alice in Wonderland tale. Instead of focusing on Alice it focused on Mary Anne - the White Rabbits house maid. A bit odd but it was nice to get a view of all the characters through anothers eyes.

I am torn about the art. The style itself is awesome, but I didn't like that the artists created the characters in the forms originally used by Disney in the animated cartoon movie. Granted this book is published by Disney Press which explains that but I think if the
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
I have been obsessed with all things Alice in Wonderland since I was about three years old, so my review is probably biased. I had a ton of fun with this graph novel, the illustrations alone would warrant a five star rating for me. It's a very quick read, whimsical and colorful illustrations. A new take on the story, as it follows the White Rabbits's maid Mary-Ann's part in the story. It's worth a read if you are a fan of the original story.
Riana (RianaInTheStacks)
What I like about this book: the artwork is beautiful! Every page is so detailed and intriguing in its artistic style. However, the sad part is that this is the only part I liked. This graphic novel tells the story of the White Rabbit's maid, Maryann, who was absent in the original material of Alice's Adventure in Wonderland. There are many of the same characters in fact. And they say all the same sort of things they said in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

To me, this book basically seemed
Stella
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wonderland
That was...interesting.
Juli Anna
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy-scifi
The art is beautiful and the concept is interesting, but the story lacked spark for me.
Nicola Mansfield
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: Cybils Award nominee. I've also been meaning to read this since I first heard about it.

Summary: The book is set in Wonderland sometime not too long after Alice has left. Here we meet Mary Ann, the girl whom the White Rabbit mistakes Alice for when she first arrives. We find out Mary Ann is the White Rabbit's maid and follow her through an adventurous day where she uncovers the fiendish doings of the Queen of Hearts.

Comments: While the book does have its plot running through,
Lauren
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! A fantastic spin on "Alice in Wonderland" (think along the lines of “Wicked”) told from the perspective of Mary Ann, the White Rabbit's maid. Sweet and charming, she also has a bit of an edge that draws you in immediately, and you want to follow her on the journey… if only to join her for the ride and see if she can hack it. One of the things I love about her is that she has some of the innocence of Alice, but is grittier and spunkier –not quite as clueless. (Maybe it’s the dark hair?) ...more
Gabrielle
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gabrielle Bolland

Graphic Novel

While reading Alice in Wonderland, have you ever wondered who Maryann really was? Well the graphic novel explains just that. Maryann is the White Rabbit’s maid, she explores Wonderland meeting the popular characters fans of Lewis Carroll will recognize. Even a few characters that weren’t ever mentioned, such as the Queens of Spades, Diamonds, and Clubs. They, along with the Queen of Hearts, love to have tea parties and gossip about the missing Queens. Poor Maryann
Cristi-Lael
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Seeing as how Alice in Wonderland is my all-time favorite story, I might be a little biased in my love for this book. But, biased or not, I absolutely loved this graphic novel, which tells the story of Mary Ann, the White Rabbit's maid. It is set after Alice had already left Wonderland and is completely clever and well put together. I loved how Carroll-like Kovac was able to make the story. And the artwork is simply fantastic. I borrowed this from the library, but when I was halfway through, I ...more
Patrice Sartor
I wanted to like this more than I did. I didn't find it funny enough to make me laugh or quirky enough to keep me intrigued. The idea is sound--take a barely-mentioned character, Mary Ann, from Alice in Wonderland, and make her the center of a new story, set in the same wacky place with the same wacky characters. Yet it was dull, disjointed, and plodded along.

However, there is a saving grace. Sonny Liew was born to be an artist, and his illustrations (in lovely color) are a thing of beauty. It
Michelle
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was interesting to see the after math from Alice and why the White Rabbit thought Alice was someone else since he does have a maid named Mary Ann. This story follows her going around to many of the same places Alice was in. It was a tad confusing why some stuff was going on and seemed to move quickly without explanation. I know this is Wonderland and it is usually unexplainable for some randomness but this was more confusing than strange.
Ana Victoria
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nickcole
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5

I loved this sort of retelling of the original Alice in Wonderland. I always wondered who Mary-Ann was and I think her story was funny and right on the mark for Wonderland. I loved the ending and it kind of left me wanting another Wonderland book about Mary-Ann.
Zanne
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed mostly for the art. Sonny Liew I love you.
Amy
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Beautiful artwork. Horrible storyline. Don't bother.
Matt Graupman
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Can we all agree that it's time to call a moratorium on all retellings of "Alice In Wonderland," please? It's a notoriously hard series to get right (the Tim Burton-directed movies are absolutely atrocious computer-generated nightmares) and this graphic novel offering from writer Tommy Kovac and artist Sonny Liew, ostensibly a sequel to the original tale, doesn't fare a whole heck of a lot better. That said, it's some beautiful nonsense.

What makes "Alice In Wonderland" so hard to nail is that it
Wolfie Smoke
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Alice in Wonderland
4.5 stars.

As an Alice in Wonderland fan, I found this book absolutely fascinating! What I found most fascinating was the world building for Wonderland that we got to see, I think the author did a great job of connecting a few dots without losing the Nonsince feeling that makes Wonderland so amazing. Though I will say that it did get a little bit TOO weird near the end.

The art style went very well with the book, though I did notice that most of the characters and settings were clearly designed
MagenWrites
Kristen Jane
I really enjoyed the illustrations, although the storyline was tremendously confusing at specific points. I loved the depiction of the Cheshire Cat, Mad Hatter, and March Hare, as well as the addition of new characters like the Queen of Spaces and Sir Edward. Again, I felt like there were specific plot holes that confused me at times. Overall, I really enjoyed this retelling and how it somewhat combined the original storyline.
Cara Ledet
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid 4 stars!
I really enjoyed this book, because of the cute, sweet, and whimsical artwork. I liked how they brought the story more to this mysterious "Maryann". I love the classic story of Alice and the Wonderland so I liked being immersed in the world once again with quite a different storyline/turn of events that brought us more in the perspective of Maryann which was pretty awesome.
I would recommend.
Sara
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the story of life after Alice. The author set up the opportunity to do more with this world, but never fully realizes it. New characters are introduced, but they ultimately lack depth. And the end of the story gets confusing and not in a crazy wonderland sort of way.

This was a missed opportunity. The artwork matched the whimsical feel of wonderland and the use of perspective and paneling was nice. But the story fell flat. It felt mostly like a rehashing of the story we already know.
Andrea Johnston
A very cute continuation on the story of Wonderland. Artwork is original yet harkens back to the classic Disney film. Readers will enjoy meeting new characters (including the other queens) as well as reuniting with old favorites like the Mad Hatter. The story stays true to both the animated film, and to Lewis Carroll's original imagining. Very enjoyable read!
Rachel
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-books
The artwork is very good. I liked the story for about halfway into the book, then it started to get dull. That's about when I noticed that it was a Disney book. Am I prejudiced against that? Maybe. But yeah, a bit too cutesy.
emyrose8
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A graphic novel that takes place in Wonderland the same time as Alice’s story. She’s mentioned, but her storyline and Mary Ann’s never overlap. (Mary Ann is the White Rabbit’s housemaid). Makes me want to refresh my memory of Through the Looking Glass.

Note- clean
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• As the Crow Flies
  • In Real Life
  • Diana: Princess of the Amazons
  • Chiggers
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Nightlights (Nightlights #1)
  • To Dance: A Ballerina's Graphic Novel
  • Estranged (Estranged, #1)
  • Fetch: How a Bad Dog Brought Me Home
  • Lost Soul, Be at Peace
  • One Trick Pony
  • Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir
  • Level Up
  • Pride & Prejudice
  • The Okay Witch
  • Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)
  • Human Body Theater
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant (Hilda, #2)