Start by marking “Wink Poppy Midnight” as Want to Read:
Wink Poppy Midnight

Wink Poppy Midnight

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  11,137 Ratings  ·  2,749 Reviews
Every story needs a secret.

Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in sh
Published March 22nd 2016 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Wink Poppy Midnight, please sign up.
Ann Valdez I agree with Van in that there are plenty of sexual elements. There is a triangle, but love triangle? Not really. I would not call that love. I really…moreI agree with Van in that there are plenty of sexual elements. There is a triangle, but love triangle? Not really. I would not call that love. I really do not recommend this book. I was greatly disappointed. (less)
Words I think it was to create a poetic effect and add mystery to the story. Names say a lot of characters as well, maybe there's some kind of…moreI think it was to create a poetic effect and add mystery to the story. Names say a lot of characters as well, maybe there's some kind of foreshadowing. (less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,290 books — 9,617 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,301 books — 6,912 voters

More lists with this book...

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
i randomly had the urge to pick this one up today & ended up reading it in one sitting. i enjoyed the writing style, but didn't love the story overall. will share more of my thoughts in an upcoming recent reads.
Emily May
"We were like the three Fates, weaving the story together, threads of gold, red, and midnight blue. There would be wolves and tricks and lies and cunning and vengeance in our story. I would make sure of it."

Er... I didn't get it. At least, I don't think I did. At one point, I thought I was getting it, but then… huh?

In Wink Poppy Midnight, the writing is the novel's strongest point, offering up a weird mystery in a style that feels as whimsical and enticing as magical realism.

My first thoughts
April Genevieve Tucholke’s writing is absolutely beautiful. I wasn’t quite sure what I was reading at times, yet it cast this spell on me that wouldn’t let go. The story is strange. There’s mystery, romance, and plenty of suspense. The promise of an unreliable narrator..possibly even three adds a bit of intrigue. Wink Poppy Midnight has this hazy sort of tone making it unlike anything else I’ve read in young adult fiction. The most similar thing I can think of would be We Were Liars, though t ...more
Lola
Apr 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: weird

People aren’t just one thing. They never, ever are.

Thing is… we already know this, so we really, really, don’t need this book to prove it to us.

There is a villain.
There is a hero.
There is a liar.

And this book wants you to figure out who is who. But if you refer to the quote above, you realize that there’s no need to do that, since there is no point in labelling the characters – after all, no one is who they seem to be.

Reading this book felt like a waste of time.

We have the most-handsome-guy-in
Nat
Apr 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: magical-realism
“Every story needs a Hero."

This review contains *spoilers*.

I honestly wasn’t planning on reading this book, yet the first sentence pulled me right in and I’m glad that it did, but this book was so strange.
The first 50 pages really held my attention and it felt like the start of a great book, but then it started to lose its magic bit by bit with the characters.

We have 3 main characters: Wink, Poppy, and Midnight.
“A hero. A villain. A liar. Who’s who?” (I still have no idea)

Wink is the odd, myster
Whitney Atkinson
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
[thomas jefferson voice] whaaaaaat?

I think it should be noted that this is one of the most interesting books i've read, maybe ever. I have so much to say about it that I don't think I'll be able to express just in a written review. I don't even know where to start. This book is both amazing and underwhelming at the same time. I love the vibe that this book has. It's very atmospheric and almost hallucinogenic. Mainly, this book reads like a character study between these 3 characters and it highli
Lauren
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wink believes in fairy tales. She believes in heroes, and villains, and epic adventures. She believes that her new neighbor Midnight is the hero of her story, and she believes that cruel, beautiful Poppy is the villain. Poppy knows that she’s the villain. Midnight, in love with both of them, doesn’t know what to believe.

Wink, Poppy, Midnight is a terrifying thriller, where no one is who you think they are, or even who they think they are. Beautifully written magical realism, the language tugs yo
Trina (Between Chapters)
Dec 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was the most weaksauce crap I've ever read.

ZERO mystery. ZERO plot. The characters were cardboard cutouts. I can't tell you one single thing about Midnight other than his hair color. The point of this "story" was to show that people are multi-faceted. We all have good and bad parts. But you cannot show that in characters who are never properly developed. We jump right into their narratives without knowing what their lives are like outside of these few days. The only things we learn about th
Viktoria Winter
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy mystery!
I received an ARC of Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke from Penguin Teen. This is now way affects my opinion on the book or this review.

"We were like the three Fates, weaving the story together, threads of gold, red, and midnight blue."

Quirky, nostalgic, and bone-chilling.

I finished this read a few hours ago and I still don’t know what else to say because of how overwhelmed I am. So, to surmise everything in a mere three words, that is precisely how I would capture this book.
Alyssa
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
Huh. That was... weird. As Tucholke's books always are, but...

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Wink Poppy Midnight by April Tucholke
Publisher: Dial Books
Publication Date: March 22, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

DNF at 46%.

This one I was almost positive I would LOVE, based on the preview I read on NetGalley, but when I got ahold of the whole book, after those first couple of exciting chapters . . . Blah.

Poppy was nuts in that sad, poor, little rich girl way, Wink was nuts in that eccentric, weird family/family secrets kinds of way, and Midnight was just trying to keep his head above water, caught between them.

The common denominator between the two girls was Wink's older brother,
Joce (squibblesreads)
UPDATE: AFTER 48 HOURS OF MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS BOOK CONSUMING MY LIFE, I HAVE FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT. I upgraded it from DNF -> 1.5 stars to my final rating of 2.5 stars.

So, one of my best friends adored Wink Poppy Midnight and I don't think I could have written a review as to why I felt the way I did about this book without speaking to her first, so I did. I was also told by someone yesterday to finish the book before formulating thoughts about it, after I angrily DNFed at
C.G. Drews
Ohhhh this book was delightfully messed up. Seriously, psychos, the lot of them. AND YET SOMEHOW THAT WAS VERY WONDERFUL TO READ. (Ahem.) Although my brain is spinning right now, because I think I just paddled about in a bucket full of crazy.

BUT HERE WE GO WITH THIS REVIEW.

What To Expect In This Story:
(Since it's the kind of story where it's hard to know exactly what's gonna go down.)

• Magical, fairy-tale writing
• Seriously, whimsical is at level 100 right now.
• A love triangle
• But the most m
Cait • A Page with a View
It's such a shame that the story was so unpleasant because the writing style is absolutely incredible! Like this crazy, whimsical, magical mess. It's very well done and the setting was interesting, but I CAN'T STAND POPPY and the story is just weird.

It's a super short read but I still ended up skimming the last bit and really didn't care to even finish.
Rose
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horrible-mess
Another book where the characters dialogue is basically poetry?
You said I was a natural, laughing at all the mortals and their maudlin, trivial lives. . .
This life, my life. . .
It's not trivial.
It's. . .
Mine.
Mine, mine, mine.

*rolls eyes*

I only finished this book because A.) I bought a physical copy and never read it, B.) I liked the cover. Great reasons, I know, but still. And now that I've finished it, it feels like every second spent reading this was a waste.

This is me trying to explain
Taylor Knight

Wow! This book is unlike anything I've ever read before.
April Genevieve Tucholke's writing is so beautiful and unique.
The characters are so incredible. I loved them and hated them at the same time. I never knew what to expect next and each page had a surprise. Everything was dark and beautiful and I never wanted this book to end.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I can't decide how to rate this, so I'm going for a nice, easy three stars. First things first: this is hands down the weirdest book I have ever read. You thought We Were Liars and The Accident Season were weird? Wink Poppy Midnight is far, far weirder, and it's more because of the ending than anything else. Most books at least give you the luxury of a sensical ending. This book does not.

Wink Poppy Midnight follows two girls, Wink and Poppy, and one boy, Midnight. There's an odd sort of love tri
Micah Francis
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A.G. Howard
Aug 15, 2015 marked it as to-read
That cover is gorgeous and chaotic and luscious. Also, anything April writes is beautiful and eerie. CANNOT wait for this one! <3
Polly
More like a 4.25/5 ☆

I really hoped I would love this book and I was not disappointed!! This was right my street, it was so lyrical and atmospheric and THE WRITING WAS COMPLETELY GORGEOUS.

I know this kind of book won't be for everyone but the complex, morally grey characters, the beautiful setting and the magical, descriptive writing completely hooked me to the story and I read it in almost one sitting.

I loved the theme of good and evil and who is the hero and who is the villain of the story, I
ambsreads
DNF @ 16%

I can't do it. The writing is driving me crazy. I hate the characters and I honestly want to strangle myself.

The book is told in a similar format to that of modern poetry. The author tries to do something a little different (or at least from what I can see) but it's falling very short. I mean, Midnight and Wink as names were weird enough but I was truly expecting this story to be more gripping for such a short book.
Evelyn Medina
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was definitely one of the weirdest books I've read in a while. When I first started, it was very clear who the "hero" was and who the "villain" was. As I learned more about the characters and got completely involved with this story, my opinions changed and I couldn't pin point ANY of these characters. I trusted NONE of them and the story constantly kept me thinking and on my toes. The villain slowly started becoming innocent, the innocent one started becoming the villain but also the hero.. ...more
Annamaria
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
"She was bad.
And she was good.
She was real.
"

This was... underwhelming. I don't even know why I decided to pick this one up, maybe because I read magical realism and thought I haven't had any of that this year and needed a fix as soon as I could or maybe because I wanted a nice cover to end my Goodreads challenge with. I don't know, I just know this book was not what I had been looking for.

Every story needs a secret.

I dare each one of you to te
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I hate to say that I am a little bit disappointed with this book. That doesn't mean that this was a bad book. Not at all. It just wasn't what I had hoped it would be. I had really high hopes for this book and bumped it to the front of my TBR pile so it is really quite possible that some of my disappointment is simply a result of unrealistic expectations.

This story is told from three point of views. Wink is one of the Bell children. She is a
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
3.5 or 4 stars??? Hard decision. I'm not sure I "get" books like these. This was an odd fairy tale of a book w/ a cool atmosphere, but with characters that feel fictional.

This is the story of 3 teens-- Wink, Poppy, and Midnight. Midnight has been in love with Poppy for years, but Poppy is all about Poppy. Now he's moved in next door to Wink and her large, wild family. Wink is child-like and tells fairy tales, and something about her interests Midnight. He's also desperate to get over Poppy, and
Stacee
I loved April's other books, so it goes without saying that I was beyond eager to get my greedy hands on her new words.

Wink, Poppy, and Midnight are all such different characters. I loved the sharp, staccato chapters. Normally, I can't stand more than 2 POVs, but I was craving each character to tell me what was going on from their side.

The plot was twisty and intriguing and filled with mindfuckery in a way that only April can give us. Not to mention her gorgeous and atmospheric prose. I want to
Kels
WHAAATTT did I just read?! Because I'm still not sure.... and oddly enough, I'm okay with that. Kind of.

Warning: this review is deliberately ambiguous, and I'm not even sorry.

In truth, I picked up this novel simply because of the gorgeous cover. Yep. I'm a sucker like that sometimes always. But come on. Just look at that cover!! Now picture it on a book shelf. Now picture it on YOUR book shelf.... am I right, or amIright?

When I first started this book, a few pages in and I didn't think it was
Esther
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First of all: I want to thank Fransinda for doing this buddyread with me. I love doing buddyreads, where you can share your thoughts with another booklover while reading. Second of all.. WHAT is this low Goodreads score?! I can't believe it. This book is a big favorite for me, I loved everything about it. I think this book is a hit or run book when it comes to loving it or hating it...

A longer review can be found at Bite Into Books

Overall
I think Fransinda and I would've been able to read this bo
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

I don’t even know how to react to this book. It takes you on a twisty, surreal journey and leaves your brain scrambled. So what actually happened? That is a good question. DON’T ASK ME. I might be lying and you would never know. Oops.

Likes

Creepiness: While this book may sound like a mystery/contemporary, it is also deliciously creepy. There is so much that readers are in the dark about but it’s done in a way that isn’t frustrating. It’s
Meli
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
El estilo de esta autora es LA gloria. Amo sus rarezas y sus atmósferas, amo que sus libros sean oscuros pero cálidos, como los cuentos viejos.
A nivel trama siempre me terminan haciendo ruido (me pasó igual con Between the Devil), pero la escritura lo compensa todo, porque es fantástica.
  • A Drop of Night
  • Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies
  • Stone Field
  • Smash & Grab
  • Some Kind of Happiness
April Genevieve Tucholke is the author of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Between the Spark and the Burn, and Wink Poppy Midnight. She also curated the horror anthology Slasher Girls & Monster Boys. She has received five starred reviews and her novels have been chosen for the Junior Library Guild, Kids' Indie Next picks, and YALSA Teens Top Ten. When she's not writing, April likes wal ...more
“When you look into the darkness, the darkness looks into you.” 47 likes
“Revenge. Justice. Love. They are the three stories that all other stories are made up of. It's the trifecta.” 39 likes