Start by marking “Our Lady of the Islands” as Want to Read:
Our Lady of the Islands

Our Lady of the Islands

Sian Kattë is a successful, middle-aged businesswoman in the tropical island nation of Alizar. Her life seems comfortable and well-arranged...until a violent encounter one evening leaves her with an unwanted magical power.

Arian des Chances is the wife of Alizar’s ruler. She, too, has it all: wealth, power, an advantageous marriage...and a dying son.

When national crisis t
Published December 9th 2014 by Per Aspera Press

To ask other readers questions about Our Lady of the Islands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Lady of the Islands

Jeffrey Grant
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Many reviews and ads label this as a "feminist" novel. I am not sure what criteria they're grading on; I'm not saying it's not a feminist book, but nothing about it stuck out to me as being particularly feminist. Maybe I'm just attaching too much baggage to the label.

A unique point in the story are the protagonists; nearly all of the major ones are middle-aged. There is the middle aged businesswoman, Sian, the Factora-Consort (queen, basically) Arian, and then a ship captain, Reikos. All of the
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly the kind of fantasy story I like. I've never read Jay Lake's earlier books set in this world, so this is a perfect stand alone title with strong central characters, and a back story set in the fantasy world that is both easy to catch on to, but compelling at the same time. Full disclosure: I read this book because I know the author (Shannon Page), but I found myself getting completely wrapped up in this world despite that. My one complaint is that maybe its a tad too long. I kept ...more
Brenda
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I enjoyed this book. I loved that the heroines of the story were mature women, not women in their late 20's or early 30's. Women who had children and even grandchildren. Women with careers. Women in marriages that may have gone stale. Women who may not be the most saintly, but weren't criminals, either. yes, this was a fantastical tale, but I still found myself feeling as though I could sit down with our heroines and have a conversation and be on a similar footing. I look forward to listening to ...more
Susan
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wish I could rate it 4.5 stars. Which is btw high praise (I save 5 stars for my most favorite books).

The Scalzi blog sold me on this book, and I was not disappointed. The heroine, in a nice change of premise, is a woman "of a certain age" who gains magical powers. Well written language and engaging plot; I stayed up way later than I should have to find out what happened.
Sheila
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I bought this based on the description in John Scalzi's "Big Ideas" series. The main character is a middle aged woman and that was a nice change from fantasy novels that start out with bright eyed and bushy tailed kids. This is a pretty outstanding book. It drew me in, and I enjoyed all the povs.
Brenda Schneider
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great read. I received the book for free through Goodreads.
Roseanne
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. And why I loved this? It fought against the female tropes we so often get pigeon-holed into in novels. Being the side-kick. Being young. Changing our appearance when we go on the run. Being a sex symbol. Being, being being, but never actually allowed to just be.

This novel held complexities similar to what you'd see in daily life mixed into a new world with new gods and rules, and a strong and older-more-world-wise female protagonist whom I genuinely wanted to read more about. Very w
Julie  Capell
I appreciated two things in particular about this fantasy novel. First, the two main characters were middle-aged women. I cannot think of another fantasy or scifi novel where that is the case. I myself am a middle-aged woman but I believe many readers would enjoy the “turnabout” situations in the book, where what would normally be the “Hero” male characters are pretty helpless and it is the women who are truly courageous. My favorite example of this is when all the main male characters resort to ...more
Nicholas Lubofsky
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is with great sadness that I bid farewell to the Island City-State of Alizar. Given that Jay Lake has passed away, there will probably be no sequel. But the land was described so vividly in the pages of this book, I feel as though Alizar is very real — a place which I could go visit (if I wanted to take a sea voyage, for this is not the time of airplanes).

I took my time reading this because I wanted to savor it. It is an epic tale, inasmuch as an epic tale can be told in just one novel. The a
Megan
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was a collaboration between an author I had never heard of and a great writer who died before the book was completed, PLUS it was put out by a teeny, tiny press. I thought it would suck. It was fantastic.
LaLa
My rating for this is so low because I was so so excited to read it and then totally disappointed because for some reason the world it's set in NEVER became real to me...
Candice
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend
Amazing.
Marisa Esposto
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. Started a little slow for me but significantly improved as the story unfolded
Teresa Carrigan
Roxy Nakamura
Sep 05, 2015
Nicole
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the main character being an older woman with sense, warmth, and an active person running her textile business. Sadly her husband partner has drifted away to being just business partner but she fills her time and has an occasional lover she sees when his ship is in port. I was curious why the women wore veils in a culture that has women owning businesses even if the religion bars them from active roles. Maybe just because they live in the tropics.

The archipelago island culture is older
Karen
Aug 10, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct narrator listing 2 11 Sep 08, 2015 01:25PM

• Shadowboxer
  • The Novels of the Jaran: Jaran / An Earthly Crown / His Conquering Sword / The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #1-4)
  • Years & an Ocean
  • Evensong's Heir (Songbirds of Valnon, #1)
  • Scenting the Dark and Other Stories
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • Rising Tide (Ben Gold, #2)
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • Magebane
  • A Rational Arrangement (Arranging Paradise, #1)
  • Dolly and the Singing Bird (Johnson Johnson, #1)
  • Nine Rabbits
  • Havenstar
  • Triptych
  • Warrior Women
  • Solaris Rising: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction
  • The Hammer
  • Twenty-First Century Science Fiction
Shannon Page was born on Halloween night and raised without television on a back-to-the-land commune in California. Her work has appeared in Clarkesworld, Interzone, Fantasy, Black Static, Tor.com, and many anthologies. Books include Eel River; the collection Eastlick and Other Stories; Our Lady of the Islands, co-written with the late Jay Lake and named one of Publishers Weekly’s Best Books of 20 ...more