Start by marking “Darkwitch Rising (The Troy Game, #3)” as Want to Read:
Darkwitch Rising (The Troy Game, #3)

Darkwitch Rising

(The Troy Game #3)

Darkwitch Rising is the third title in Sara Douglass's compelling Troy Game series, a riveting historical fantasy series of love and revenge set against the very fabric of time itself.

Britian. An ancient land. Most think they know its history. But few suspect and fewer still know the truth.

For back in the mists of time came Brutus, last of the Trojan kings, who was armed
Published December 27th 2005 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Darkwitch Rising, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Darkwitch Rising (The Troy Game, #3)
Briny
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't want to give the book one star, because I couldn't put it down. I didn't want to give it three stars, because that would imply I was okay with it. So I gave it two. Basically I have one major issue with this book, and his name is Asterion.

It feels like the author decided when she was writing this book, and not the others, "Oh you know what would be fun? What if I made the villain of the entire series the love interest instead. Seriously. I mean, I know Cornelia/Caela/Noah/Eaving has a
Susan
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this entire third book of The Troy Game series thinking that the series was a trilogy, and that this would conclude the story. I didn't figure out that I was missing a book until literally the last page (and then I cried, because I didn't have that one in the house and ready to read).

Half way through this book, and in most of these characters' third reborn lives, nearly everything shifted. Almost everything I though was the "obvious" way that threads would resolve was reformed into
Feyfire
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Luciole
Once again, I feel a bit disappointed about The Troy Game, volume 3. I had been very enthusiastic by the previous one, but then I endured most of this one, until one or two twists I hadn’t expected – hence the 3*.
What I disliked the most was the use and abuse of convenient explanations all along. Of course, our heroes deal with malevolence and sickness everywhere, but even in their “doom”, I found them pretty well treated.

For instance, nothing ever happens to Noah. (view spoiler)
Tellulah Darling
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it

Did you ever watch soap operas? You know how the storylines start out fun but after a while (in this case, by book three, this one) you wonder "are we really still on these plots?" Yup. That was my experience. I was getting ready to abandon the whole thing, when at about halfway through - the twist! Amping up the action and ensuring I stuck around. For another book.

The back half got seriously good. Lots of twists and turns, bringing everything to a boiling point. Now I absolutely must
Heather
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really am enjoying this whole Troy Game series. Darkwitch Rising has some really unexpected twists and turns to the story. It is set in the time of King Charles II of England (mid-1600s). The Troy Game has grown out of control. Cornelia is born as Noah, a simple preacher's daughter. Genvissa is born as Jane Orr, sister to Weyland Orr. This is particularly tortuous to her, but I'm not saying why because I don't want to spoil the story. It' s hard to say much without spoiling anything. So, I'm ...more
Jasmyn
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the third book of The Troy Game, we once again see all the old players, plus a few new ones that got caught in the game during book two. Cornelia and Genvissa make quite an astonishing discovery about themselves and their history, as do Brutus and Coel. The Troy Game itself even plays a new bigger role in all that happens.

A great addition to the story, it propels the characters forward in a journey with an as yet unclear ending.
Kate
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Definitely my favorite of the Troy series. Cornelia's character definitely improves during her third life, adding so much dimension to her character that she is solidified as my favorite. Everyone seems to be learning important lessons, and developing nicely. A good identity twist gives us a nice shock, though certainly not the biggest shock of this book. Still, I love the direction in which this is going!
Karen Brooks
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was probably my favorite of the Troy Game books as the characters seem to come to a realization of how the past impacts upon both the present and future. Weaving actual historical events, places and characters seamlessly into the story and imbuing it with an eerie otherworldliness, Douglass creates another page-turner.
Angela
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

Darkwitch Rising is the third book in The Troy Game series by Sara Douglass. Part of my 2019 reading challenge was to read an Australian author- well how do I narrow that down, there are so many great Aussie authors, but Ms. Douglass was one of the first Aussie authors whose work I fell in love with. I have devoured everything she had ever written and was devastated when she lost her battle with cancer back in 2011. Her books really stuck with me over time, and I don’t revisit them as
Brian
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful third installment of Sara Douglass' "Troy Games" series. It's a historical fantasy that is slowly bringing the mythology of the labyrinth and the minotaur. The ancient characters are continually reborn and must live new lives in pursuit of aa mastery over the labyrinth, while the minotaur works to destroy everything, or does he? A twist of fate finds the Mistress of the Labyrinth working and falling in love with the minotaur and attempting the destroy the game, which has been born ...more
Daisy
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
so problematic idek where to begin. basically beauty and the beast (sara had a thing for this theme, obviously), but nowhere near as bad as threshold. not as good as the second book but still couldn’t put it down. 2.5 stars but rounded up because it’s better than 2.
Shannon
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
If I had to give this review a title it would be "quiescent". OMG does Sara Douglass use that word about 20 times. I counted it 3 times on one page at one point! More gratuitous sex scenes (especially in the beginning with Charles and Eaving's Sisters) and a lot more violence. This book, I feel, really kind of lost the plot. It gets a lot more magical - which is fine, but it's the characters that really let me down. I know Douglass's point was to show how much they are growing and changing; it ...more
Madeline
While I enjoy this series very much, I had trouble with the third installment; the first two novels in the series were wonderful examples of high fantasy within a rich and detailed historical setting. However, Darkwitch Rising almost seemed too convoluted, and had too many "twists" in it. I was distracted by the unnecessary plot twists, and I think the novel could have been wrapped up quite a bit sooner than the 725 pages allowed.

Even though this novel fell a bit short of its predecessors, I
Madbethcash
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely the best book in this series, I'm not giving this 5 stars simply because (view spoiler)

Everybody stops being terrible in this one. Sure, Brutus still suffers from stupid jealousy and Genvissa/Jane and Cornelia/Noah will never be bosom buddies, but now they all fight for
Julia
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This third installment in Douglass' 'Troy Game' series had a lot of potential initially, but went downhill about halfway through. This time around, the events surrounding Cornelia-reborn, Brutus-reborn, and their "entourage" take place around the court of Charles II of England. Reading the first two books in the series (starting with Hades' Daughter) is a must, as the story, spanning over 1,000 years, is quite complicated. Despite my mild disappointment, I will still read the final book to ...more
Jay
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Extremely confusing... if you haven't read the first two books in a while (which was my case). Complicated and intricate plot makes this book grab - and hold - one's attention. Not something to read on the fly; you have to be at the top of you're reading game to read this entire series, let alone this book.
Carlie Hamilton
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
This book was about reconciliation which is fine, but I guess not as exciting as fighting. However, I enjoyed the very end of the book and I did enjoy seeing how the characters grew. But overall, not much conflict, I felt. Wish I had the patience to go back and read through the 1939 sections of the previous books with the lens of what I now know.
Bebe
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I didn't think I would like this series as it was a truly alternate history sci-fi (each book is based on a particular time in British history), but I ended up loving it. I can't go into much more detail without giving away spoilers.
Ralitsa Ivanova
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sara-douglass
this by far is my favorite book in the series. To begin with its amazing how the daily life of the British people in that age is being described to the last detail. the plot becomes more complex and magic enterwines with magic. Even better is how the characters grow and become better inside and out
Lindsay
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
The story took an interesting turn in this book, revealing new sides and depths to characters. The geography of London is used really well, making me want to explore it.

Overall, it kept me reading far too late at night!
Tim
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets better and better!

I can't wait to read the next book but at the same time I can as it's the last of Sara's books that I have left to read :(
Sara
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
It was a push to finish. I wouldn't rec it, not really sure I'm even going to finish the series at this point.
Amy
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Time has moved on but the characters are reborn. They take place during the 1600's.
Judith Weshinskey-Price
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another really good series. I enjoy the premise of the same personalities coming back in different time periods to do it again because they can't get it right.
Karolina
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
All her books are meticulously researched and she is able to bring the characters to life - our life. Great stuff.
Katie
I tried this series because I liked the Wayfarer Redemption books so much, and I have to say I enjoy basically all of the books by Sara Douglass.
Rachel
Dec 19, 2014
Bianca Manuelli
Jul 03, 2016
Margaret
Oct 14, 2012

• Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sculptor (Sam Markham, #1)
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • The Gatekeeper's Bride (The Gatekeeper's Saga #0.5)
  • How the Dead Speak (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #11)
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)
  • Velvet Awakening: The Velvet Chronicles - Book 1
  • Silver
  • The Diamond Hunter
  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Piano Solo)
  • The Impaler (Sam Markham, #2)
  • Be My Girl (A Dark Tides Thriller Book 1)
  • Q&A a Day
  • Economy Gastronomy: Eat Better and Spend Less
  • The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular ...more

The Troy Game (4 books)
  • Hades' Daughter (The Troy Game, #1)
  • Gods' Concubine (The Troy Game, #2)
  • Druid's Sword (The Troy Game, #4)