Start by marking “Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)” as Want to Read:
Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)

Bloodline

(Whyborne & Griffin #5)

Between his bullying father and dissolute brother, Percival Endicott Whyborne has quite enough problematic family members to deal with. So when his sister returns to Widdershins asking for help solving the mystery of a derelict ship, Whyborne is reluctant to get involved. Until, that is, a brutal murderer strikes, leaving Whyborne and his lover Griffin no choice but to tak ...more
Published October 7th 2014 by Smashwords Edition (first published September 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodline

Start your review of Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
K.J. Charles
Ahhhh. /sigh Lots of plotlines coming together here. Whyborne really developing as a character in interesting ways, all sorts of major changes going down and a very creepy plotline. Love the British cousins. This is a very fun series indeed and I'm delighted to see there'll be a 6.

Disclaimer: I've written a story with Jordan and all, so I'm biased, if it's biased to really enjoy someone who writes with such skill and confidence, and plots series like a flipping maestro.
Simone
Overall ***4 Stars***

Umm, does anyone else have a feeling that the author is a fan of Legends of the Fall

Going by the number of bereavements here I had a déjà vu of me sitting in the theatre watching the downfall of the Ludlows... Granted, with a touch of magic, grisliness and sea monsters, mind you. ;-)
Hähle-fackeln

I have to admit that I was not a fan of the course of events here and the story itself would probably get 3 stars from me. The rest, though??????

Whyborne was his usual naive and sometim
Susan
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Whooo this book was a TREAT! I think it's the BEST of the series yet.

Ok, let me back up. If you haven't started the Whyborne & Griffin series yet (book 1 is Widdershins ), firstly, *stank eye* *judgement* *disappointment* and then secondly, DO IT! You must! I held off for so long and then was so bummed that I'd waited. This entire series is fun and scary and romantic and zany and sweet and a GREAT RIDE. Each book has it's own flavor but is so consistently "Whyborne & Griffin".

Now, if
Ms. Smartarse
Like any self-respecting fan that has reached book #5, by now Whyborne's dislike for most of his family members is a universally acknowledged truth. His unrelenting father wants him to finally settle down in a very visibly heterosexual way, and relegate his more exotic inclinations into the side piece category. His evil brother on the other hand, is just plain miffed that his former boxing bag has had the audacity to grow a backbone.

But more surprisingly, his long estranged sister... seems to h
Ingie
Written October 20, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - Action-packed adventure in the best amusement park feeling. Jump on the rollercoaster and have fun too.

Book #5

I finished this adventurous —and very fun and enjoying (fourth W&G) buddyread with Sofia and Bev— a couple of days ago.

Still happy-dancing!!

description ~ description ~ description ~ description ~ description

3 besties: Whyborne, Griffin & Christine (..yep, in trousers)

As so often I'd a plan to write a great tribute review (in my humble 'yay-hurray-yay' way...) to another fantastic installment to this ser
Kaje Harper
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This series definitely should be read from the beginning. (And definitely should be read by anyone who enjoys paranormal romance.) This is perhaps the most startling installment, as over and over the author caught me by surprise with where she took the plot and the backstory.

The romance between Whyborne and Griffin continues to be the warm, solid and sweet underpinning of the saga, and yet, just when I'd have thought there was nothing that could shake up this couple, there was that revelation...
Barbara➰
Wow...this was a surprising, emotional and heartbreaking read. Whyborne and his family take several heavy hits. Two creepy ass distant relatives come to town as well. Something about them I didn’t like immediately. Kind of reminded me of these two

Whyborne is coming into his own more and more. But at what cost? I wanted to strangle him at one point. I was so disappointed. But like every relationship there’s ups and downs. Thankfully he gets his head out of his ass. And oh man...swoon time at the
Eugenia
My very favorite thus far!!!!!!! If I were 13 I would be squealing, of course secretly because I wouldn’t want my parents to catch me reading such racy mysteries. This one was truly spectacular!

I loved this! Just when you thought thing were getting settled, there’s another twist in the plot that’s just as death defying (or not) as the one before. If you’re reading this, you’ve probably already read the previous books and have taken note of all the dropped clues and hints. Keep those in mind beca
☙ nemo ❧
yes hello 999 is this the police?? jordan l hawk has literally murdered me.

every time i start one of these books i'm like "ok this can't POSSIBLY be better than the previous one" but it always is. IT ALWAYS IS.

re-read july 2018: one of my many annotations reads "EVEN MY GHOST IS DECEASED" which just sums up the whole book really
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}

”Listen up little fish, little fish,

Let’s make a wish, make a wish,

For a time not come but yet to be,

One for the land, and one for the sea."

Well. I’m a bit speechless after that if I’m honest.

So much happens it this book but I’m finding it a difficult one to review because revealing any of the main plot points would just cause massive spoilers and that would be mean and could possibly lead to people shouting at me.

So the things I can tell you! First of all, this one is my favourite. Does t
Meags
4.5 Stars

Bloodline packed a major punch! I went through many complex and often duelling emotions during this fifth instalment of Hawk’s fantastically rich and engaging Whyborne & Griffin series.

My status updates can attest to my exasperated feelings towards Whyborne during the middle portion of this story, but I’ve decided to put my anger and irritation aside and think of his behaviour as necessary character development that ultimately furthered the story.

The twists and turns this story took we
Sofia

What a ride……

Hawk came out full guns ablazing and did not stop shooting until she wrote THE END. What a great instalment in this series which has become a staple for me.

The only thing that stopped me from curling up and reading this in one go, was that it was a buddy read with this series companions and I enjoy our reads too much, to tear on ahead without them.

Hawk weaves her story like an experienced spider, plots within plots, plots coming to conclusions, other plots opening up. And in all of
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Wow, this story was full of things I didn't expect and it kept me on the edge of my seat for ages! I loved almost everything about the story. I was never fond of the cousins, though, and the more I got to know them the less I liked them, and I hated Whyborne lying to and keeping secrets from Griffin. But wow, what a story. And that ending!!! That ending prompted me to round up instead of rounding down.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this ride.
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
4.5 Emotional Stars Reviewage on Prism Book Alliance

It doesn’t take long before Whyborne and Griffin are headed towards a mystery. This mystery is the best kind of messy and jumbled pile of family, intimacy and heavy emotion.

Speaking of emotion, it also doesn’t take long before the first gut-punch of sorrow rears its low-hanging head.

This is the most personal and personally affecting of all of the stories so far in this series. The settings, subjects and circle of characters are all much m
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
A Sweet Romance, Griffin & Ival~

Wow....this one will be unforgettable..

Ival and Griffen's romance was uniquely beautiful in this book.

The Book

The descriptive writing fabulous.

The passion was fantastic.

The romance I love.

The extra gift of (view spoiler)I cherish.

The new SC....Persephone sweet but those teeth? *shivers*

[image error]
Sorry guys but, I’m a little put off by the storyline and description writing of t
Elena
Reread in 2019
4.5 stars, again

I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but this book was just as good the second time around.
Maybe even better, because I was (view spoiler)
As usual, Christine is amazing and now (view spoiler)
-------
Original review in 2017:

Best book in the series so far.
I wrote in my review of Necro
Isabel
This book is pure MAGIC!!! It's perfection!!!

I loved all the books of this series, but this one is, without a doubt, the best so far!

Whyborne, Griffin and Christine... what amazing set of characters! Once again, they found themselves faced with mysteries, murders and sea monsters!

Magic calls for Whyborne, and he has always the same dilemma: he don't want to betray Griffin's trust by using and practicing magic, and, on the other hand, he wants to know more, so he can protect those he loves. But f
Natalia
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-read October 2019
____________
Re-read December 2016
I could read this series over and over without ever being bored!
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
First Read:10/14
Second Read:06/16

5 stars This is how you do Historical Romance People.

Miss Hawk killed it. I was hesitant reading this after Necroplis. It was my least favorite of the series, and like so many other series they more books they have the lesser quality work is produced. I'm biting my damn tongue from now on. I was completely blown away. I read this book in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. I was like Whyborne why, why, why. You know how every book one of the three main ch
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
Reread review 6/1/19:

Oh, Stanley. You deserve the biggest chankla of all. Whyborne earned his fair share too though.

I was interested to see how much of this I remembered. It was also neat to see how my perspective of certain events changed, knowing how things turned out. I even surprised myself by feeling a smidgeon of pity for Niles, and I think he might even care about Whyborne for realsies even before the events of this book.

Original review 7/19/15:

This one got a little weird. And a little p
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

Family secrets, forgotten legends, new powers discovered.

I’m happy to say that this series is evolving. All the little mysteries and paranormal happenings from prior books have been adding up to this story, and what will happen next can only mean that there are big, very big, things awaiting for our favorite fussy philologist.

There were a few issues that niggled though. For such a smart man, Whyborne is still a bit sheltered in such a cutthroat world of survival of the fittest. You would
Karen
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-read
This one gets all the stars ***** and then some...

Finally I got back to the world of Whyborne and Griffin and what a trip it was. This series was fantastical!!! But book #5 Bloodline amazed me. I became so involved and totally frustrated with Whyborne at times. In a way I saw where he was coming from. His intentions were good but the path he was going down...well quite frankly he was scaring me. Thankfully he had Griffin's love to anchor him in time for him to evaluate the virtue of what he
milou  ☕️
"I spoke thirteen languages, and yet I had no words to express what his presence meant to me."

I cannot recall the last time that a book made me cry as much as this one did. Especially during the last quarter of this book when the plot sped up and so many different things occurred at the same time. I barely had any time to process what had happened before something else was already happening, it was freaking intense. In truth I had to go outside for a bit to catch some air in order to
Kaa
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I ended up really liking the "monster of the week" part of the plot for this one, but wow, really wanted to shake Whyborne most of the time.

I've previously mentioned my frustration with being stuck with Whyborne's narration in these books - I find him a bit too self-pitying, especially given the definite privilege he has - and I really struggled with it in this book. His attitudes are so heavily based in that sort of "queer man born to privilege who feels cheated by the minor oppression he faces
~Volha~
Skeletons in the closet? Troublesome relatives? This time Whyborne and Griffin have to navigate the unpredictable Whyborne family and all the mayhem that comes with it! The book didn't disappoint! I loved it! So many secrets were revealed, family mystery was solved, and many have found peace and happiness that seemed unattainable before.

From the very beginning, story took a turn to dark alleys and dark waters. It seems there is more to Whyborne than even he realizes. And the newfound knowledge
Bev
What a ride that was!! This series just gets better and better. Gushing review with happy dancing to follow when I have more time, but thanks to Inge and Sofia my buddy read partners. 5 stars from me.
Tamara
Re-read March 2020
I enjoyed it, but Whyborne was so frustrating I just wanted to smack him... and because I couldn't, I had to take long breaks from the story.
Deborah
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It was obvious early on in this series that there was a lot more to Whyborne than we originally thought. Here we find out exactly what that is.

Now I love the three main characters here. But at times I really wanted to give Whyborne a massive time out.

It’s weird because while the stories themselves resemble bad B movies. I still adore the books. I suppose this is mainly down to the characters. I do love character driven stories.

And it’s straight onto the next one for me.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ

4.5

I can't even begin explaining just how much I am glad I didn't read any reviews before reading. I would have probably put this on hold same as some other series (not the books' fault, there are just too many tropes I dislike). The blurb is great though.

Unlike the previous books, there are no monsters nor horror here. There are creatures that some might consider monsters, of course. This is Widdershins, after all. However, Bloodline is not a horror story. A shame, really. That is one of the g
Ami

Whyborne & Griffin has slowly and steadily become one of my favorite paranormal series in MM and this last installment is definitely the BEST yet and most definitely my favorite.

First of all ... OMG the first three chapters?!? I was still very much surprised on the fact that (view spoiler). I must say that Jordan L. Hawk definitely didn't pull any punches if it was a necessity to the st
BR #5 "Bloodline" - start 13/10 125 23 Oct 17, 2014 11:39AM

• Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • Jackdaw (The World of A Charm of Magpies)
  • Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)
  • A Case of Spirits (A Charm of Magpies, #2.5)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)
  • The Smuggler and the Warlord (A Charm of Magpies, #0.5)
  • Five For Heaven (A Charm of Magpies, #3.6)
  • The Ruin of Gabriel Ashleigh (Society of Gentlemen, #0.5)
  • Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)
  • A Queer Trade (Rag and Bone, #0.5)
  • Wanted, A Gentleman
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
  • An Unseen Attraction (Sins of the Cities, #1)
Jordan L. Hawk is a trans author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave him a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When he isn’t writing, he brews his own beer and tries to keep the cats from destroying the house. His best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook. ...more

Whyborne & Griffin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin, #9)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)

News & Interviews

“Then the town will rise to his hand," I whispered. "One for the sea, and one for the land.” 5 likes
“I hope I'm not disturbing anything," he said with a smile.
"Just considering what birthday games Whyborne will be missing out on thanks to this wretched idea of the director's," she replied cheerfully. "I've gotten to Blind Man's Duff."
Griffin laughed. "How about Pin the Tail on -"
"Would you two stop?”