Start by marking “Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone, #1)

Chase the Dark

(Steel & Stone #1)

Piper Griffiths wants one thing in life: To become a Consul, a keeper of the peace between humans and daemons. There are three obstacles in her way.

The first is Lyre. Incubus. Hotter than hell and with a wicked streak to match. His greatest mission in life is to get Piper into bed and otherwise annoy the crap out of her. The second is Ash. Draconian. Powerful. Dangerous. H
Published October 17th 2014 by Annette Marie (first published October 12th 2014)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at 44%. Because juvenile crap literature isn't me.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I just DNFed yet another fascinating masterpiece. BUT. In my defense, I have to say I had no freaking clue this book was freaking YA when I freaking started reading it. So it's not my fault if I DNFed it. I'm innocent as a newborn child here, people. Had I known this was puerile nonsense youthful prose, I would have done the only sensible thing: I would have DNFed it pre-emptively. It would have saved me from lots
Ben Alderson
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WHAT I HAVENT REVIEWED THIS BOOK YET.
WHAT
WHY
THIS BOOK
WAS EVERYTHING
I KNOW OWN THE WHOLE SERIES! GOD, I NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS IN BOOK TWO #CLIFFHANGER!
mith
LOOK THERE'S A NEW COVER AND I FINISHED IMMORTAL FIRE TODAY SO I NEED A FEEL GOOD BOOK OKAY??
Reread #3.
I've grown to really love this series and I feel that, no matter how many times I reread this book and the others, I'll never get tired of the story.
Or of Ash.
----
First read this on Sept. 6, 2015. Reread Feb. 18, 2016.
I liked it more the second time around—probably because I'm more biased now and really love the series in general! So I am bumping my rating up to a 4!
3.5. I wasn't th
Penny
Actual rating 2.5 stars

Entertaining but forgettable.

The audiobook narrator here talks with her nose blocked which is really annoying, also, all the characters sound like teenagers, thus giving you a felling like you reading a young adult fantasy book.

Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone #1) - 2.5 stars
Bind the Soul (Steel & Stone #2) - 2.5 stars
Yield the Night (Steel & Stone #3) - 2.5 stars
Reap the Shadows (Steel & Stone #4) - 2 stars
Sophia Sardothien
This book is fun, dangerous, action-packed, page-turner and anything a good urban fantasy should be. The word building in this book is unique and alluring. Seventy years ago, daemons put an end to humanity’s third world war to prevent the destruction of their favorite playground, Earth. So now humans are to live a degraded life, where the consul are to remain the peace between humans and daemons. Our main female lead Piper Griffiths is the daughter of the head consul, for her entire life she onl ...more
S.J. Abbo
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it

description

I must tell you as I write this I sit within five feet of no less than huge Supernatural poster.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you!!!

description

Well, I don't know about you but when I stumble across two sexy demons in the book...

description

There no love triangle because there no actual romance in it...

There are signs

description

…and I do have my favorite...

How do you mean which one? Like there can be any other than dark and dangerous?!

C'mon guys, really???

description

I can't wait to read the second book and to see more of demon duo.

Oh yes, th
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
05/13/2019: Read for the fifth time!
02/28/2019: Read for the fourth time!

09/09/2018: I literally just finished re-reading this series two days ago and I have already started book one again! I seriously cannot get these characters or this world out of my mind. I never want to leave! Book hangover to the max. I love this series so much it brings me actual physical pain from all the feels. <3

Simply put this series is brilliant! The premise is exciting and fresh. I really love this unique and cle
✶Rachelle✶

Omg

This book almost gave me a damn heart attack

RTC

---------

I'm still living in the world of Red Winter, but this is by the same author so maybe it will keep me from drowning in the book hangover that is quickly taking over my life.....
Annika
description

Being the only haemon (half human, half daemon) in existence without any magical powers isn't easy. Frowned upon by humans and not seen as an equal by either haemons or daemons, Piper is used to having to prove herself to everyone. Little does she know that what starts out as a harmless job of "babysitting" two daemons will eventually become her biggest test so far.
Now stuck with a perpetually horny incubus and a dark and dangerous draconian, Piper finds herself on the run from the most powerful
Cody
Feb 24, 2016 added it
Finished in under 24 hours :/ total lack of sleep and social interaction, I regret nothing! There's no time for a review, I have the second book and I'm ready... this just can't wait eeek!!! *Review to come soonish*
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
I'm not sure if i'm gonna want to read the other books in this series... but the book itself was fine. Enough for 3 stars.
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
#Paranormal #UrbanFantasy #ComingOfAge #Magical

I loved this!!!!

We got two sexy daemon heroes. First, there’s Lyre an Incubus who is “hotter than hell”, he has a fun and flirtatious personality and loves to constantly tease Piper. Then there’s Ash, a Draconian. He is powerful, dangerous and scary. Personality wise, he is the exact opposite of Lyre. Both makes the perfect heroes. But yes, I do love one of them more :D… I am a sucker for powerful and intense alpha. And Ash pretty much falls into t
Lonna | FLYLēF
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
FLYLeF Book Reviews

Original Post: Chase the Dark at FLYLeF (www.flylef.com)

CHASE THE DARK, by Annette Marie, is a very promising start to the Steel and Stone series – a young adult contemporary fantasy. It’s a light and fun read. But where it lacks in heftiness, it more than makes up with the intriguing characters and their nearly impossible undertakings.

Meet Piperel Griffiths – half human, half daemon – a haeman. All Piper ever wanted was to become a Consul, a keeper of peace between humans and daemons. Life as
Nicole
Feb 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
WTF even was this book? The plot made no sense and the number of typos or missing words was extremely distracting. Major plot points are missing (what even IS the Sahar?), the dialogue is often nonsensical, and moments that do nothing to move the plot forward (i.e. the fight in the club) are drawn out ad nauseam. The book also tries to beat you over the head with sex, but in a very obvious, trying-too-hard sort of way - rather than the characters acting sexy, the reader is told (repeatedly) that ...more
Kristen Burns
5 Stars

I. Love. This. Book.

$%#@&!!!

That was what my brain was doing the whole time I was reading.

So where do I even start?!

First, the characters. All three main characters were great. Lyre was flirty and playful but also ridiculously lovable and kind. Ash was mysterious and dangerous but also loyal and protective. Piper was kickass and intelligent but also emotionally vulnerable and forgiving. They were three-dimensional, all unique from each other, and it made for a really interesting team
Emma
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic, ya
This series might have to be one of my guilty pleasures: I know I’m too old for this kind of YA story, but I loved it anyway! It has all the tropes you might expect, but they are done well. Already got the next one ready to go.
Megan
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story.. I hated the narrator.. She sounded like she had a cold.
Holly
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. Started off really not enjoying it. But by the end I was pretty interested.
Vippi
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Maybe this book is not perfect. But... WOW! It was so entertaining, deamonesque-funny and action-packed that I found almost impossible to put it down.
And for once - drum-roll - it was not only a fresh, hooking read. With its well-developed world-building and its dimensional, intriguing characters (Lyre and Ash plucked my heartstrings) it has totally restored my faith in YA urban fantasy.

I'll write something more asap, now I'm busy with the sequel ;)

~ I received this book
Kenny Danewitz raveh
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75ish...
This was a nice read, a fluent read and it was not boring. I liked the characters but I had some issues with the book.
piper was nice, Lyre was a cutie and Ash was yummy but I didn't feel the "dangerous" as much as I didn't feel the Dystopia. For me this book was a bit superficial, I just couldn't feel it to my bones.
Kathylill
I really liked this book and recommend it to everyone who likes urban fantasy with dark & dangerous demons and scary “angels”. The world building is not really unique but still interesting. After humanity almost wiped itself out during something akin to World War III, the demons from the Underwold (dark) and Overworld (bright) revealed themselves and destroyed all mass destruction weapons thus saving Earth, their favorite playground. Humans now live in a kind of dystopian future, where consu ...more
Echo
Uh oh. Big time what am I going to do now...uh oh. Annette Marie just punched me in the gut and then sucked me into a vortex of crazy with Chase the Dark. Serioulsy. Uh oh.

It's YA and Urban Fantasy. Two of my favorite genres combined. Add in humor, killer writing, boys that make my heart race, a heroine that I actually am rooting for and genuinely like, awesome world-building, and some secrets that are bound to get messy in the next few books and I am hooked.

I'm not even sure how to describe thi
Di
This book was a really fun ride. It's been sooo long since I've read a good YA Urban Fantasy and this one was a serious page turner. It's action packed, engaging, funny and unique.

I actually picked this one up as soon as I finished The Night Realm and I'm totally HOOKED! Annette Marie has just got a way of grabbing my attention and never letting go.

I'm a huge fan of Annette Marie's heroines and the main character of this one is no exception.

Piper is essentially a haemon (human x daemon) althoug
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“As an Apprentice Consul, she had a lot of responsibilities. Unfortunately, one of them was breaking up fights between over-sized, over-muscled idiots. Murderous idiots."

A fascinating surprise - series, where have you been hiding from me? It's YA but the perfect touch of it (no angst or anything). The world-building is creative. Piper is a norm who wants to live up to her father’s ideals and societies expectations while she is sandwiched between two powerful “other” beings while they try to find
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
This re-read is exactly what I needed. This urban fantasy is filled with fantastic worldbuilding and a fun cast of characters. I loved getting to learn all about the Underworld and Overworld daemons, haemons, the Sahar stone, and roles of the Consuls. It was all really interesting and created a full world. Ash and Lyre are a dynamic duo, who when paired with Piper's vibrant personality creates a fantastic friendgroup that is engaging and hilarious. There were twists and turns and unexpected reve ...more
Beatrice in Bookland
“Some daemons you can't help but fear. You will always be afraid. It's human nature”

3.5

Annette Marie's books are worse than drugs.
I can't wait to marathon the entire series and get punched in the feels repeatedly lol

ps: #TeamAsh 💖
Cali Teer
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book was freaking bad ass !!! I have already ordered the rest in the series.. oh man, I don't even know what to say.

I love books with heroines that are ass kicking bamf's and that's what Piperel reminds me of; no matter what was thrown her way she handled it and didn't waste a ton of time whining about how shitty things were. (view spoiler)
Shera (Book Whispers)
Wow. Just wow. You know that magical hungry feeling you get when you're reading a great book that's hitting all the right spots? Chase the Dark was that book. I hadn't read a decent Urban Fantasy in Young Adult for a really long while. Almost a full year. During that full year YA leading ladies haven't been this good either. The words I've been using to describe them has been “whiny and characterless”.

Piper is amazing and a far cry from either of those two words. She's so well developed, not to
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
After reading the Red Winter series I decided to check AM's other books. While this was an interesting read it didn't grip me the way the Red winter trilogy did. I struggled to get into the story. The pace was so slow and I feel like nothing really happened even though tons of things happened, it's just in a weird place.

I want to know the deal about Piper so I will be checking out the rest of the series.
Umaiya ❄️Ramblings of a Scattered Mind❄️
Reread @ 07/08/18

I have to say I'm infinitely proud of younger me for not rating this a 5 star cause if memory serves I love this series and tend to go around recommending it.

I think I'm getting too old for YA. *gasp*
Yeah, I hate the thought too but look at the evidence.

Sixteen year olds acting like the bratty sixteen year old they are, pisses me off and nineteen year olds acting like thirty year olds makes me scoff all the way to the end of the Earth.
There's no winning this fight.

So there were

• The Fall
  • Betraying Innocence
  • A Perfectly Split Christmas: A Split Short Story
  • Angelsong (Dark Angel, #3)
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • Gideon's Promise (Son's of Judgment, #2)
  • Crescendo
  • Walking Dead Girl (Vampireland, #1)
  • Vicious Prince (Violent Kingdom, #2)
  • Hers to Take (Loving Your Enemy, #1)
  • Redemptive (Combative, #2)
  • Ethan (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #0.5)
Annette Marie is the author of YA urban fantasy series Steel & Stone, its prequel trilogy Spell Weaver, and romantic fantasy trilogy Red Winter. Her first love is fantasy, but fast-paced urban fantasy, bold heroines, and tantalizing forbidden romances are her guilty pleasures. She proudly admits she has a thing for dragons, and her editor has politely inquired as to whether she intends to incl ...more

Steel & Stone (5 books)
  • Bind the Soul (Steel & Stone, #2)
  • Yield the Night (Steel & Stone, #3)
  • Reap the Shadows (Steel & Stone, #4)
  • Unleash the Storm (Steel & Stone, #5)
“Finally, he moved. He slid forward, closing the gap between them. When he was a step away, she squeezed her eyes shut, bracing for the killing blow.
A moment passed.
Careful, gentle fingers touched her chin and tilted her face up. She squeezed her eyes tighter.
"Piper." He exhaled slowly. "Piper, you need to try not to be afraid. I need your help."
His touch fell from her cheek then wrapped gently around her uninjured wrist. He pulled her arm up and pressed her hand to the horns on the side of his head. "You know me, Piper. Remember? You weren't this scared before. I need you to be strong this time too."
She shivered at his alien voice. Her shaking fingers touched the smooth, cool horns.
"Please, Piper." he whispered. "I can't use glamour because my wing is dislocated. I need your help to fix it." A silent pause. "I won't hurt you, I promise.”
2 likes
“Well,"the announcer called jubilantly, "It seems the Dragon has claimed his prize!” 2 likes