Start by marking “Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)” as Want to Read:
Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)

Starman

(The Wayfarer Redemption #3)

Axis is the StarMan of prophecy and legend, destined to lead the three races of his world to unite as one people. The people of his world all know the Prophecy of the Destroyer, despite the failed attempts of the Seneschal to suppress it in the name of the god Artor the Ploughman, and it predicts and dictates Axis's path through war and destruction to the creation of Tence
Mass Market Paperback, 670 pages
Published January 20th 2003 by Tor Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Starman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starman

Start your review of Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I don't even know what to say. So I'm just going to sit on 3 stars for now damn it. That ending though!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Kati
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I would love to give this book more than three stars - but I can't. I really can't. The story itself is very intriguing and the plot twists quite unexpected, but! And there is a huge but. The characters. The characters are so badly drawn that it ruins the whole book. Faraday is there only to suffer and suffer and suffer some more, the born martyr and sacrifice rolled in one. Azhure is the perfect Mary-Sue that keeps getting more and more and more awesome as the series continues. And Axis? He's the big ...more
Silveryz
May 31, 2009 rated it did not like it
After reading the reviews posted here, i just decided to read the ending... (If there's anyone kind out there, please post a short summary on what happened to Faraday, Axis, Azhure and their families please, i would like to know even if i couldn't be bothered to read it myself. Please and thank you.)

To put it nicely, my conclusion is i've no fond feelings whatsoever for this series. I read the first book till the end to see what would happen to Faraday and Axis, how they would triump
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
In this one moment, while reading Starman, ended my life-long love affair with Sara Douglass. The first two books in the Axis Trilogy still lived up to the enjoyment I felt when I first started the series as a teenager, but Starman, unfortunately, did not.

Whether Douglass ran out of ideas or just didn’t know how to tie her story together, I don’t know, but everything that made the first two books great was gone in Starman. Douglass relies heavily on cliché and melodrama, introduces satellite characters that
Hearteater
I'm so on the fence about my feelings for this series. While I really enjoyed the first book, I was not thrilled by the second, and this one didn't bring much else to the table except for bittersweet closure.

Axis is terrible and only grew more so in my eyes as the story went on. Faraday is once again getting treated like crap and as a side character, when I'd rather read more about her, then is killed off at the very end. Azhure, while I want to hate her for taking Axis from Faraday (while simu
Matt
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: David Eddings Fans
She got way too lazy by book 3. Book 1 started off at a good pace -- some real charachter development opportunities. In book 3 she solved 3 or 4 MAJOR plot problems in several hundred pages. She had one charachter who planted tens of thousands of trees in a matter of 4 or 5 months with no tools at all! We did the math, it should have taken years and years.

She just got lazy. Really hard problems just got solved by new mysterious powers that were unexplained. Of a truth, the "prophecy"
Renee
May 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'm really disappointed in this series so far. I picked them up because I wanted a good fantasy with a female protagonist- it started off great but 1/2 way through Douglass seemed to decide she wanted to switch the focus. Problem is the only likeable character has a horrible fate, while the rest of her main characters (many of them are selfish jerks and difficult to cheer for) develop out of nowhere all these insane powers- making them undefeatable. What?!
The story is incredibly lopsided, and I
Thomas
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annie (Putt)
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All the stars. Such an explosive ending, and I dreaded and worried what would happen would indeed come to pass and it did. So sad. I love that Sara Douglass wasn't afraid to pull punches and do some really awful things to her main characters, especially Axis who came out of this very, very changed.
Christopher
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
STOP. Stop right here. I know you're reading this because you just finished book 3 and are most likely looking forward to book 4. I'm here to tell you - Books 4-6 are _not_ good. I'm sorry Sara, I really am. Books 1-3 were so much fun for me to read, I couldn't put them down. I could ignore the inconsistencies others have proclaimed for what was a truly enjoyable story, but this book 4-6 business... what happened?!

Everything you enjoyed and 'loved' from the first trilogy is smashed against the wa
Amanda
Jul 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the third in the Axis Trilogy by Sara Douglass. In this book the final battle between Axis and his half brother Gorgrael will take place; the identity of the Lover is revealed; and finally WolfStar shows his true colours. This book is absolutely packed with events, as the first two were, and positively glitters with the force of Douglass' very vivid imagination.

I don't dispute that Douglass has managed to churn out a fairly effective fantasy trilogy. The world building is top
Ben Babcock
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-read, fantasy
It’s time to finish off my re-read of the first trilogy of The Wayfarer Redemption with Starman, the conclusion of Axis’ battle against Gorgrael to fulfil a Prophecy and recreate the land of Tencendor. I seem to have stumbled into a more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts situation here: I want to give this book two stars, but the series as a whole has actually been much more enjoyable than the individual books ever were.

Spoilers for this book and the previous two books, because I want to dig into this whole trilogy.

So Axis and Azhure get to be
Ubiquitousbastard
Jul 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
This was an epic drivel fest in which all of the horribly painful characters ended up being the main protagonists, and any of the remotely bearable characters became ancillary/died. Still, I thought some good would come of it, but that was just sad optimism. This is Sword of Mana in book form. Really, I wanted to stab someone over the end of this. I couldn't even keep this book for an hour after I finished it. I seriously left it out in public for someone else to grab, even though, looking back, ...more
Angela
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Starman is the third book in The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass. When this book was released back in in mid 1990’s, when I first read it, it was originally called Battleaxe and was book one of the Axis Trilogy- the series later got expanded and so the name change. Part of my 2019 reading challenge was to read an Australian author- well how do I narrow that down, there are so many great Aussie authors, but Ms. Douglass was one of the first Aussie authors whose work
Rebecca
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this book in a week so it is fairly easy to get through. Some of the loose ends that I wish had been tied up were not; I liked some of the ideas the author had for the plot but the execution was poor (evil babies?? COME ON). Also why does everyone have to kiss on the mouth constantly? Keep your hands to yourselves, you too star gods.

The magic system - has no system or obvious rules. Just the use of the word POWER a lot but I never got a sense of what the characters were actual
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it

The moment that I most loved about this book was SpikeFeather's meeting with the Ferryman. His instant sacrifice of himself for the children was a truly good action, not forced or coerced. He immediately became my favourite character in that chapter. (Also, (view spoiler)Of all the prophecy-based fiction I've read, Sara Douglass is very good at bringing in all the different plot thread in a way that doesn't feel forced, and wrapping up the story neatly and easily.

The moment that I most loved about this book was SpikeFeather's meeting with the Ferryman. His instant sacrifice of himself for the children was a truly good action, not forced or coerced. He immediately became my favourite character in that chapter. (Also, (view spoiler))

I'm not sure how I felt about Azhure (view spoiler), but I suppose it was somewhat justified. I can already see how Caelum (sp?) is quickly becoming the spoiled favourite an I can see that leading to issues later if Axis and Azhure don't become better parents.

Overall, this was a great conclusion, and I can't wait to read the next trilogy of books. (Does anyone know a spoiler-free reason why these books are labeled as sci-fi? They seem to be straight-forward high fantasy to me.)
Almustafa Couch
Crap, most of it comes as a direct quote (if not paraphrase) of or reference to the Bible. The main theme of this book and the use the word regretfully is from "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe". The epilogue went on to long, the so-called final battle lasted about a paragraph. I am glad to have reached the end of the predictable trilogy and I will be giving Sara Douglas a wide berth in the future, I am glad I'm not an American, I would not recommend this trilogy to anyone, it is boring and ...more
Sue
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I felt that this was a very long book and took ages to complete, but I think that was the trilogy as a whole. I think that we could have done without most of book 2. Having said that, I did enjoy this book, the story moved along at a good pace and the end was quick yet satisfying enough. I just feel that it should have all been done in 2 books instead of 3.
Data
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted a little more and a little less from this third book of the series. A little more editing, and a little less of gods. I know, you can't hardly get away from the subject, when that's what the book is about. Perhaps I'm just grumpy this summer.
Christina Falana
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I remember a little bit about this book in the series. It's ending was amazing. I do recommend that you have the next book in the series close at hand when you finish this one. It leaves you on the edge of your seat.
Angela
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
OK even though I didn't like parts of the second book I just want to know what happens next.
Miriam
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Better than the other two...
Siren
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I mean what the fuck. Just get rid of all the male characters and it would be amazing. ...more
Catsalive
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, aww-previous

Just finished the series, & I enjoyed it very much. I'm frustrated with the ending though - so much unresolved & new problems arising. Obviously the trilogy turned into a hexalogy along the way, but it's still annoying. We have a denouement between Axis & Gorgrael, but nothing is truly resolved, there are too many ominous rumblings for the future.

Why, why, why is the hero made to pay for his mistakes along the way, but the heroines never put a foot wrong. They a
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)

I don't think I can ever say this enough: I LOVE THIS SERIES. I love it so much! It was awesome to read these books again and revisit one of my favorite worlds.

I loved seeing the first story arc come to a close again. I looked forward to the journey that Axis and Azhure took in finding themselves, but also dreaded the final battle between Axis and Gorgrael.

I think I said it already, but Faraday is one of my favorite characters in this series! (Besides FreeFall, I freaking love him!) (view spoiler) ...more
Vivian
Oct 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a really bad book. So bad, it hurts talking about it because I wasted so many hours that I could have dedicated to some other pursuits. It's not really worth it, people. A good premise unraveled in the worst way with an author that clearly fell in love with her characters to the point where they were just so absurd and over the top that they didn't make sense at all.

One of the most important rules for fantasy writing is to "respect the rules of your own universe". She violat
Isabel
It's been quite a few years since I read this trilogy, but I do remember enjoying it, as much I hate to admit that I secretly LOVE fantasy.

I found the plot relatively interesting, the entire book entertaining, and all in all there were some truly wonderful ideas that seemed quite inspiring. But what I hated the most was the "love story" between the two main characters, only that he is one of those typical lady-killers that I absolutely hate (ever so gorgeous, strong, always showing o
Conan Tigard
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
StarMan is an excellent ending to the first half of the Wayfarer Redemption series. This book follows The Wayfarer Redemption and Enchanter. StarMan concludes everything that began in the other two books, and I was happy about that.

Sara Douglass spins a wondrous fantasy tale of people caught up in a prophecy. She has created a astounding land and characters that the reader easily falls in love with. A lot of things are finally revealed in this story, most of them about Azhure. At long last, you
Gabby
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even though I felt this ending needed a little bit more (it felt almost a bit anticlimactic, but maybe that's because there is a sort of continuation in the next trilogy), I really enjoyed this three-part series from Douglass.

I feel she's a strong writer that has a good grasp of her characters. I felt they were believable with their talents AND flaws. I also found her use of different races interesting, as well as the magics they used. Granted, we don't know exactly how they come to
Doris
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
While this book is the third in the series, it has enough cross-references to bring a newbie to the world, such as myself, up on the different characters.

Unfortunately, I didn't like any of the characters.

The villain, Gorgrael, has an axe to grind and wants to punish his brother for being normal and liked and popular with the ladies, while said brother, who is:

Axis, the main male protagonist, is a selfish spoiled boy in a man's body, ready to service any willing female like a stall
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Starman [Sep 10, 2019] 1 4 Dec 27, 2018 07:36PM
Goodreads Librari...: Page count is incorrect 2 22 Mar 13, 2012 04:29PM

• Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Kushiel's Chosen (Phèdre's Trilogy, #2)
  • Stormlord Rising (Watergivers, #2)
  • Medalon (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #1)
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • The Quantum Garden
  • Inxs: Story to Story: The Official Autobiography
  • Shaman's Crossing (Soldier Son, #1)
  • The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1)
  • Waterdown
  • Noitien hovi (Sonja, #2)
  • Gae Bolga (Sonja, #3)
  • Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1)
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular fantas ...more

The Wayfarer Redemption (6 books)
  • The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1)
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
  • Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)
  • Crusader (Wayfarer Redemption, #6)