Start by marking “Zero Day” as Want to Read:
Zero Day

Zero Day

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  2,061 Ratings  ·  443 Reviews
Eight years ago, Addie Webster was the victim of the most notorious kidnapping of the decade. Addie vanished—and her high-profile parents were forced to move on.

Mark Webster is now president of the United States, fighting to keep the Oval Office after a tumultuous first term. Then, the unthinkable happens: the president’s daughter resurfaces. Addie is brought back into her
Published January 12th 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Zero Day, please sign up.
Jan Gangsei Hey, Asterope! Thank you for the question. The book is scheduled to publish January 12, 2016 and the Amazon listing should be updated soon to reflect…moreHey, Asterope! Thank you for the question. The book is scheduled to publish January 12, 2016 and the Amazon listing should be updated soon to reflect that. :)(less)
Jan Gangsei Hey Carmel! The book is written in close third-person with multiple points of view, (but the main POVs are Addie and Darrow's). Hope it still piques…moreHey Carmel! The book is written in close third-person with multiple points of view, (but the main POVs are Addie and Darrow's). Hope it still piques your interest :). Thanks for the question!(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,231 books — 9,550 voters
Vicarious by Paula StokesA Study in Charlotte by Brittany CavallaroThe May Queen Murders by Sarah JudeThe Darkest Corners by Kara ThomasWink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke
2016 YA Mysteries
41 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Melki
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, young-adult
"You know what a 'zero day flaw' is?"

"No."

"It's a flaw in an operating system that isn't discovered until it's too late. And by the time it's found, you have ---"

"Zero days to fix it."

"Yes, exactly."

The Addie Webster kidnapping made headlines - Governor's eight-year-old daughter disappears without a trace! Now it's eight years later. Governor Webster has become President Webster, struggling during his second term, and dealing with a strange terrorist group. Then suddenly, Addie Webster is back,
Celeste_pewter
Jul 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Zero Day is entertaining, but it's also clearly written by someone who has almost no idea how computer hacking, domestic terrorism OR the political world works.

(We're legitimately supposed to believe that a teenager without any professional training can hack the White House server without getting detected? And in five minutes, at that? COME ON.)

Also, Jan Gangsei has a definite telling vs. showing problem throughout the book. It made for some seriously awkward sentences.

Finally, the book ends
Jen Ryland
Jan 19, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2016
A really well-crafted, fun, twisty YA thriller. Think Homeland meets The Gallagher Girls.
Review to come soon!

Read more of my reviews on YA Romantics or follow me on Bloglovin

Thanks to the author for providing a free advance copy of this book for me to review.
Sara (sarabara081)
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books.

Zero Day had a lot of layers that drew me in. I love watching crime and drama television shows and this book encompassed all that. Huge shows like Scandal have really sprung up a new found interest in political thrillers for me and after falling in love with The Fixer earlier this year, I just knew Zero Day would be another hit.

Addie is our focus of the story. In the beginning she is kidnapped at a young age just to escape many years later to r
Leigh Collazo
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

REVIEW: I read this in one sitting--so amazing! I requested this book for review when I read the blurb on NetGalley, but I was absolutely hooked from the very first chapter. This reminds me of John Grisham or Tom Clancy for teens. I love how the story allows readers to make realizations right along with Addie and Darrow. I also love how it was told with flashbacks so we could gain insight on what happened to Addie for eight years.

There is some romance, but the ma
i.
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a fast-paced YA thriller which I read in no time. There are many thought-provoking layers in the plot : Stockholm syndrome,cyber espionage and security, civil rights , family bonds, living with guilt and coping with loss .The characters are appealing and well developed; Jan Gangsei makes it easy to understand them and their feelings .

I found the book too short , though. I wanted to know much more about the characters and their background . I wanted such a good plot to be developed furthe
Nasty Lady MJ
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
To see full review click here.

Obviously, there’s been a bit of an absence on the blog. Blame the Louisiana bar exam for that. They don’t call it the fourth worse one in the country for nothing, ya’ll.

The good thing is the test is done, so my free time has improved for the time being. I’m sure that could change though. This review will probably be a quickie though for various reasons.

I read or should I say partially read Zero Day about six or seven weeks ago. I probably shouldn’t even be writing
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
I love a good scandal book where there is secrets, lies, and everything inbetween. Man I feel so privileged to have read this ARC. Once I started reading I could not stop reading it. It reminded me of so many TV shows I watch that I could not quite put my finger on which show it is.

In this story we meet Addie Webster who has been kidnapped as a child and held in some compound. Her parents who are high profile grieve for their daughter and continue to look for her for a while. As time goes on Add
Kayla
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Last night I finished this book, and gave it 4 stars. Then I slept on it. Now I'm thinking it deserves no more than 3 stars. The plot of this book was interesting, and had me intrigued. However, a girl is missing for 8 years and everyone kinda treats her like she was away for a month. This story was supposed to be adventurous and exciting...yet there was a whole bunch of stupid drama and the romance was so stupid. The characters are flat and boring too.

It's a quick, fun read. Just not realistic
Stephanie
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was full of interesting ideas that were never really fully developed. It left a lot of loose ends open - so much so I thought it was series, but according to the author it's a standalone "with potential for more." Which honestly just makes the lame cliffhanger even more frustrating. I think the book would have been better if it focused on less perspectives and cut out a couple of the extraneous storylines and just really focused in on Addie and Cerberus.
Marci Curtis
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy crow! I mainlined this fast-paced political thrill ride in a matter of hours! The storyline--lips are sealed because HOLY SPOILER, BATMAN--is beautifully executed and messed with my mind all the way to the end. Loved this.

DID I SAY I LOVED IT?

LOVED. IT.

Five glorious stars.
Berls
I enjoyed Zero Day - I think it was definitely a good thing that the politics were so minor, since I'm feeling very political these days!

What worked: characters - loved Adie and felt like the portrayal of her brainwashing was fairly well done. I liked the difficulty she had trusting her parents or believing in them.
- I like the narration a lot

What could have worked better:
- I think it required a lot of belief in situations I just can't see going through. President's daughter returned mysteriou
Kristen
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was just...okay. It's a quick read--or it SHOULD have been, but it didn't hold my attention so I found myself putting it down an awful lot. There's a lot of mystery and intrigue, but a lot of political stuff needs a lot more explanation to make sense. (view spoiler) ...more
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
An interesting premise that fell short of its promise.
Logan Nott
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Zero Day is a realistic fiction/thriller novel by Jan Gangsei. Overall I enjoyed the novel form its detailed sentences and character development, yet this book really lacked the thrill part with not much action. I still like it and would recommend to young adult readers.
James
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very solid 4 star. It was a thriller (I think). It was a bit cheesy though at times. With some dialogue issues and some weird events. Every time Cerberus staged an attack of some sort, the message "You have been warned," was a bit cheesy. Sure, the psychological effect great, but it was a bit weird. I did enjoy the idea though. "Daughter shows up after 8 years after being kidnapped." Interesting one to me. Overall, great read.
Kirsten Fazzino
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
It started out really good and I was very intrigued but then after some unbelievable twists, (even though I know it's YA) i kept thinking "really?!?"
But I still liked the premise ...characters were not very strong
Mic
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I am not a big thriller fan, but the premise alone drew me in. I was curious about Addie, what had happened to her, and who she was now. I also am a sucker for stories about the president’s kid and happen to adore a Secret Service romance every now and again. The problem is I have a hard time finding them [note: there is no Secret Service romance in this book] [note note: but that’s okay!] and finding one I enjoy.

So let’s talk about this book. I was hooked right away. The first 150 pages worked
Reading Teen
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
At a Glance:

ZERO DAY was an exciting, political mystery/thriller that had me guessing from beginning to end. Though there were times you have to suspend disbelief, the overall fast-pace and mystery make up for lack of plausibility. If you're looking for a fast, fun, and twisty read, I think you'll really enjoy this one.

Cover:

I love the cover! I think it may have a more serious tone than the book actually does, but I love that it gives off the political vibe.

Action:

There's quite a bit of action!
Carrie Beth
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Zero Day is a unique YA political thriller with a hint of romance. It's certainly unlike anything I've read in the YA literature lately (I read a lot), and for that, I give it high praise. Jan Gangsei has managed to break some YA molds here, combining politics and romance, family drama and thriller, and twisting characters around to leave the reader honestly intrigued and a bit confused (more on that later).

Abbie Webster was kidnapped a
TJ Burns
Thrilling, well-written, and suspenseful, Zero Game pulled me right into the drama and kept me guessing at every turn.

Ms. Gangsei gave me just enough tidbits of information that I could make some educated guesses, but not enough for the story to become in any way predictable.

Addie is likable and interesting -- I felt for her and sympathized with her and the ordeal she went through. I really liked Darrow, caring, brave, sensitive, loyal -- he is almost too good to be true, as far as teenage boy
Margaret
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
This is a review of an ARC from NetGalley.

It's been 8 years since governor's daughter Addie Webster disappeared. Now 17-year-old Addie is back, but things have changed since she was taken - her father is the president, and a group of cyber-terrorists has been engaged in increasingly more serious attacks designed to scare the government into tightening surveillance and security laws. Where was Addie all this time? And does her sudden reappearance have anything to do with the new attacks?

So, this
Jeff Raymond
I'm a big fan of Homeland, especially the first couple seasons. I also love some good political thrillers (as hard as they are to find), and Zero Day may be the closest thing to a Homeland-style political thriller for the YA set I've seen in some time.

Addie was kidnapped from the home of her politician father eight years earlier, and it became one of the most well-known kidnappings in history. She then reappeared eight years later, just as her father was elected President of the United States.
Read InAGarden
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a child Addie was kidnapped, everyone thought she was dead until she reappeared while her father was president. Darrow was Addie's best friend before the kidnapping and from the start of Addie's return he knows something is off in Addie-land. As the story progresses readers learn that, while away, Addie was indoctrinated by a terrorist fringe group with plans to bring revenge to the United States. Addie takes secret meetings with the terrorists but she's conflicted between the reality she kne ...more
Kelly Hager
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
As I write this, I am sleep-deprived, because I was up til all hours (okay, 12:30am) because I couldn't stop reading it.

The synopsis makes it sound really good, right? But it's actually season one of 24 good, the kind of book I cannot stop reading until it's over.

I spent most of the book not entirely sure who to believe or who the "good guys" were. There are so many layers and everyone has secrets and everyone seems to be lying...it's the kind of book that really does demand precedence over wh
Stephanie
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book!! I hadn't heard of it coming out or anything because none of my fellow bookstagrammers seemed to be reading it. It was certainly a nice change from the traditional YA themes of boy meets girl. This was a great read through and through. I couldn't stop thinking about it whenever I had to put it down. Zero Day pulled me out of my book slump, thank goodness!! Definitely would recommend it to anyone and everyone!
Sonja
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The story definitely offers heart-pounding excitement and multiple twists that would be appealing to action-craving readers. On the other hand, it offered more than the average number of "oh, come ON" moments that took away any shred of suspension of disbelief. Also, I grow weary of stories about super-genius, wildly accomplished teens who do all manner of stupid things to drive the story forward. Still. Exciting.
Rachel's Book Reviews
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I don't know what to think. Overall, entertaining...but it lacked a spark.... a...purpose. It seemed all very generic.

Didn't really end either. Characters didn't grow or make important choices so... eh. meh. full review soon.
rachel 007
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was fun in a suspend your disbelief/Disney movie sort of way.
Darla
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Genre: Fiction/teen/suspense) I found this book at the local library, up for an award this year that patrons can vote on. While I didn't pick it up, I did go and check out the audible version from our online library so I could have something exciting to listen to while doing monotonous stuff around the house. It didn't disappoint. I quite enjoyed it and thought the premise was really interesting.
The story centers on Addie Webster, a 16 year old girl who was kidnapped at age 8, right under her p
Around the Year i...: Zero Day, by Jan Gangsei 1 18 Aug 19, 2016 07:20AM
Crazy for Young A...: Zero Day by Jan Gangsei → Start Date: July 15th, 2016 3 11 Aug 07, 2016 11:42AM
  • Girl Last Seen
  • Remember
  • Oblivion
  • High and Dry
  • Where I Belong
  • Nearly Found (Nearly Gone, #2)
  • The Rules for Breaking (The Rules for Disappearing, #2)
  • Caged Warrior
  • Damage Done
  • Amal Unbound
  • To Catch a Killer (Erin Blake #1)
  • Broken
Jan Gangsei grew up in small-town Vermont, reading Nancy Drew mysteries, putting on backyard shows with her best friend and dreaming about exploring the world. After college, she landed a job as a newspaper reporter covering politics and the police beat, and was astonished to discover she could actually get paid to write and tell stories. Since then, she's lived in Key West, New York City, DC and ...more
More about Jan Gangsei

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99