Start by marking “Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)

Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret

(Ballet Cat)

Ballet Cat and Sparkles the Pony are trying to decide what to play today. Nothing that Sparkles suggests--making crafts, playing checkers, and selling lemonade--goes well with the leaping, spinning, and twirling that Ballet Cat likes to do. When Sparkles's leaps, spins, and twirls seem halfhearted, Ballet Cat asks him what's wrong. Sparkles doesn't want to say. He has a ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion

Start your review of Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
Jon Nakapalau
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A SECRET SECRET! What could it be? Tell us Ballet Cat...WE CAN'T STAND TO BE LEFT OUT OF A SECRET SECRET! Tell us Sparkles the Pony...WE WON'T TELL ANTONE ELSE! I will not tell you the secret...you have to read the book!
Lindsay
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good read-alike to Mo Willems.
Kerrikoala
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aww, I love Bob Shea's books! This was so cute. :)
Adrienne Pettinelli
I hope Bob Shea intends to write a whole pack of books about Ballet Cat and Sparkles the pony. Shea gets the tone and emotion so right in the language and in the way he handles the speech bubbles. It would be a great one to try with a group with two readers.
Jen
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bea-2015
Super sweet book showing how a friendship works. Telling the truth, loving and respecting reach other and compromise. Not preachy, but fun. Bright happy colors and artwork that's fun and appealing to youngsters. A great addition to any little one's bookcase. Highly recommended. 4.5 stars, rounded up.
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

“Well that was nice.”--were the first words out of my mouth after reading Ballet Cat by Bob Shea.

I wasn’t a fan of some of the colors on the pages, but the pinks and yellows definitely captured the warmth and energy of Sparkles and Ballet Cat’s friendship.

A cute tale that depicted the give and take of a friendship perfectly in clear and simple ways. Fun is a big part of friendship, but sharing and patience are necessary ingredients too.

The Totally Secret Secret is filled with friendship,
Laura Harrison
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I believe this title has a good shot at the Theodore Geisel award for 2016.
The Styling Librarian
Ballet Cat: The Totally Secret Secret by Bob Shea – Early Reader

Enjoyed reading this adorable little friendship book. Reminded me of a Mo Willems’s Elephant and Piggie story. Really cute to see an interaction that I’d also see between two children in real life. When you and your friend have different interests, could the friendship end? So special to read. I look forward to watching my students read this book for the first time. Would be great for parents to share with kids when they’re learning
Elsbeth
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have never met a Bob Shea book I didn't like. I love you, Ballet Cat. You're pretty cool too, Sparkles.
Aliza Werner
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
For fans of Elephant and Piggie. Energetic, colorful, friendship.
Amy
very reminiscent of elephant and piggie, right down to the color-coded speech bubbles. Normally I wouldn’t have a lot of respect for something that seemed so derivative, but I love love loved ballet cat and sparkle pony. there are twirls and leg kicks and sparkles (some of my fave things), and the way ballet cat and sparkle pony interact with each other is very realistic and sweet. they act out a common problem - wanting to tell a friend that you don’t want to play something/you don’t like what ...more
Jason
Funny and fun--I can't wait to try it in storytime with two readers!
Carrie Gelson
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We LOVED this book in my room! Funny, lots of personality, so much fun!
Sara
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this as much as Elephant & Piggie, and *gasp* maybe even more. I was a HUGE fan of Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great. Can't wait to share with students! 5 stars doesn't seem like enough!
Janine
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Super cute, with a nice message. Lots of fun to read out loud.
Emily Scheinman
a great addition to our early reader section!
Slayermel
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of children starting to read on their own
This book was very cute.
At first I was not so sure about the illustrations but they totally add to the quirkiness of ballet cat.

This is a nice little story about two friends who don't necessarilly want to play the same game sometimes, and how they overcome the problem. I thought it was handled very nicely. This is a great book for young children as it has a great message and teaches them to talk about how they are feeling and to be empathetic to others.

There are also limited words per page
Alana
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, first-reads
it was a hilarious book to listen to! bob shea always makes me chuckle at the antics his characters get up to. great illustration of friendship and compromise.
i enjoyed the selection of classical music, i associate it with ballet. the characters voices were each unique. background sounds were appropriate to the story and didn't over power the reading.
additionally, after listening to the second track for use with a physical copy. the turn the page signals were set correctly and with enough
When it comes to picture books, Bob Shea RULES THE SCHOOL. I simply adored this little volume with all its whimsy and heartwarming-ness. His "Dinosaur" books have long been my go-to literary happy place and now Ballet Cat and Sparkles Pony join this auspicious collection. Excuse me, but I have to go twirl now.
Miss Ryoko
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yes! Everything about this was fantastic... the pictures.. the tone of voice... the facial expressions... the dialogue...the message. I loved it!!
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I hope there are more books in this series! I loved this book! My second grade students are going to love it!
Jasmine Olivia
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jasmine loved this book! Very cute story! :)
Michele Knott
Laugh Out Loud funny!
I think Ballet Cat and Sparkles is going to give Elephant and Piggie a run for their money!
This book is going to be so fun to read out loud to young readers.
Kelly
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is cute and funny, just like Bob Shea's books usually are. You can tell the art is his. It is Elephant and Piggie-esque.
Kendra
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME! I have a secret secret. I LOVE Bob Shea's books every time and this is no exception. Absolutely darling.
Rachel Coyne
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Bob Shea doesn't disappoint. The story is almost as good as the fabulously whimsical drawings. Which is saying something. Because fabulous.
GalindoLibrarian
Purrfect! The next George&Martha, Elephant&Piggie friendship book-adorable.
Laela
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readers, silly
THIS IS SO GREAT!

It is all girl stuff that is so sparkly and amazing. I can't believe it took someone so long to write this book. I am kissing this book. KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS
Acacia
Aug 26, 2015 added it
this book is amazing!!! friendship, spinning, ice cream.
not to be missed.
Heidi
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As in Mo Willems, Elephant and Piggie books, Bob Shea presents the reader with the trials and tribulations of friendship. In this first book, Sparkle suggest several different things they could play, but each time Ballet Cat points out that that activity will not work with what she wants to do (crafts, leaping, spinning). Thus the pair ends up playing ballet, as usual. But eventually Ballet Cat becomes away that Sparkle isn't feeling very sparkly and she asks why. Sparkle is reluctant to share ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Penny and Her Marble
  • Bink & Gollie: Best Friends Forever
  • I Really Like Slop! (Elephant & Piggie, #24)
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • Wolfie the Bunny
  • My Grandma's a Ninja
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • Odd Duck
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • What This Story Needs Is a Pig in a Wig
  • Rude Cakes
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
  • Bink & Gollie
  • The Thank You Book (Elephant & Piggie, #25)
  • I Broke My Trunk! (Elephant & Piggie, #14)
  • Waiting is Not Easy! (Elephant & Piggie, #22)
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.

Ballet Cat (3 books)
  • Ballet Cat Dance! Dance! Underpants! (Ballet Cat, #2)
  • Ballet Cat What's Your Favorite Favorite? (Ballet Cat, #3)