Start by marking “Templeton Gets His Wish” as Want to Read:
Templeton Gets His Wish

Templeton Gets His Wish

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  338 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Templeton the cat doesn't like his parents telling him to clean up, and he really doesn't like when his brothers steal his toys. So, he makes a wish on a magic diamond, and his family disappears!

At first, Templeton is over the moon. He's free to lounge and play all day, and he never has to take a bath. But being alone might not always be as fun as he'd thought. Will anothe
Published May 12th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion (first published May 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Templeton Gets His Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Templeton Gets His Wish

Julie
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Really great stuff here on being thankful for what you have and being careful for what you wish for, but, of course, because it's Greg Pizzoli, it's never didactic and the illustrations are amazing and the design is top-notch and it's also hilarious.
Amy
Jun 17, 2015 added it
Shelves: j-picture-books
Popularity/appeal rating: 4

Quality rating: 4

In a one-sentence nutshell:
The story was unimaginative and predictable, but I always like Pizzoli's bright, retro-tinged illustrations. And I will never dislike a book that has a cat as the main character - especially when the cat looks like Richard Alpurrt (one of my orange kitties). The story definitely had a "Home Alone" vibe, which made me wonder if Pizzoli is roughly my age. Anyway, here's one of my favorite illustrations:

I just love little Temple
Janet
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A take off on the ancient theme of "be careful what you wish for". In this version Templeton wishes to be alone, without his mom and dad and three brothers. How long will it take for Templeton to become lonely?
Love Pizzoli's illustrations and he has a fresh perspective that conveys a child's thoughts when presenting his story and illustrations.
Glad to have found this new author/illustrator.
Susan
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like the illustrations. But there seemed to be a lack of consequences for Templeton doing bad things, like stealing the piggy bank money. Not cool.
Edward Sullivan
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Templeton gets lonely when he wishes his family away.
Shawn Thrasher
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Unless you were an only child (or an orphan), as a child you probably were greatly annoyed at one time or another with your grumpy (perhaps pregnant) mom, your cranky (worked all day) dad, and toy stealing little brother. Especially if you lived in a small house and had to share a bedroom (and occasionally a bed) with said brother. Sometimes you wanted to Calgon them all away. In Greg Pizzoli’s book, Templeton finds a magic diamond and does exactly that (shades of The Twilight Zone here). I thin ...more
Lynn  Davidson
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Templeton was tired of being told what to do by his parents, and he didn't want to share his toys anymore with his siblings. When he learned of a magic diamond that granted wishes, he knew what to do to be alone and unbothered.
Kimberly Sabatini
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
So sweet!
Heidi
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be careful what you wish for!
Miss Kelly
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Basically the plot of Home Alone.
Kelly
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
At some point, I think every child has wished his family away. This story tells what happens when Templeton makes that wish, and what happens when it comes true. I like this idea for a children's book. It's a concept most children can identify with.
Maria
Jul 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book, cat
Regina L
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(Magic) Diamonds are a cat’s best friend? Templeton is at his wits end! Lately, his little brothers are being more annoying than usual and his parents are grouchy and on his case! “Clean up, Templeton!” “Take a bath, Templeton!”. By a stroke of good luck, Templeton happens upon an ad in the newspaper for magic diamonds! He places an order and when his delivery speedily arrives he doesn’t hesitate even a moment to WISH upon the diamond for some alone time where no one is hassling him about sharin ...more
Julie
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable be careful what you wish for story.
Margaux
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Advanced copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Templeton the cat is sick of his family telling him what to do. His dad is naggy, his mom is bossy, and his little brothers are always stealing all his favorite toys. So when Templeton sees an add in a comic for a magic wishing diamond, he steals his brothers' piggy bank money and uses it to order the goods.

When he wishes his family away, everything is great at first! He can color on the walls! He can go ages without a bat
Chris Go
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Templeton is tired of his little brothers taking his toys as well as of his parents ordering him about. Why should he have to clean his room or take a bath? So when he makes a wish on a magic diamond, he decides to wish them gone. And it works! Templeton's family disappears.

At first, Templeton is over the moon. But as time goes on he sees that maybe it wasn't the best wish he could have made.

I really enjoyed the illustrations. Lots of humor throughout the book.

My only issue with the book is that
Caryn Caldwell
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What Templeton wants more than anything is for his family to leave him alone. No more mother making him take a bath. No more father making him clean up his messes. No more brothers taking his toys. So when he sees an advertisement for a magic jewel, he steals his brothers' money and sends off for it. But once he gets his wish, he discovers that life without a family can be quite lonely. And messy. And scary. And very, very stinky.

While the premise is nothing new, many children will sympathize wi
Traci
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Almost every child with siblings wishes his family would disappear at one time in their life. Templeton is no different. His whole family is driving him crazy. All he really wants is to be left alone for just once to be able do what he wants to do.

Greg Pizzoli, author and illustrator, of TEMPLETON GETS HIS WISH, explores the theory of 'be careful what you wish for because it might just come true'.

This little gem of a picture book gently but in a smart way, gets this point across. #exceptional b
Amy
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Templeton the cat wants his family to leave him alone, so he wishes them away. At first, he loves not having to share, or take a bath, or clean up, but after a while he became lonely (and stinky.) Luckily, his family returns with another wish. Pizzoli has created another winner. Clean lines rendered in a limited palette of teal, green and orange give great expression to Templeton and provide just enough background for an interesting setting. Any child who has ever just wanted to be left alone fo ...more
Josie B.
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
There is something universal about wishing your family would leave you alone then missing them horribly when they do. Templeton wishes his grumpy mother, cranky father, and toy-stealing brothers away, and over time realizes without them the house is spooky, some games can’t be played alone, and maybe he night need a bath after all. For a family themed storytime, combine it with “Nobody’s Perfect” by David Elliott or for a slightly older crowd, “My Dog is as Smelly as Dirty Socks” by Hanoch Piven ...more
Bmack
From the author who gave us "The Watermelon Seed" this book is also enjoyable. Templeton is not enjoying having his parents tell him what to do or his brothers playing with his favorite toys. He sees an ad in the paper for a magic diamond that will grant him any wish. He steals his brother’s money and buys the diamond, wishing his family away. He enjoys his new found freedom for a short time but quickly realizes it isn't so fun to be alone. He wishes again and gets his family back even though th ...more
Sandy Brehl
Kids will enjoy the ironic situations and facial expressions on the second read even more than on the first. If they are one of many siblings they are likely to be too busy cheering for Templeton's wish to come true on the first read, although I can imagine some wise-beyond-their-years kids anticipating that this may be one wish Templeton will regret.
The "be carful what you wish for" lesson is a bit obvious, but not so to the very youngest.
Janice
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Templeton is tired of his parents telling him what to do and his little brothers taking his toys. So when he sees an ad for a magic diamond that grants wishes it seemed like the answer to all his problems. But is it? Sometimes what we wish for isn’t what we want at all. I love the sparse pictures and bright colors. It really accents Templeton’s aloneness after his wish. A thought provoking book and a wonderful introduction to “be careful what you wish for”.
Samantha
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Templeton is annoyed by his family and sends away for a device that will grant him his dearest wish: to be alone. When he's granted his wish, Templeton enjoys all the things he'd been missing, but after the initial fun wears off, he finds that he misses his family more than his free time.

Nice story that is very true to the kid emotions involved. I like that the story is very simply told too making this a good beginning to read selection for PreK-2.
Jason
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderfully straightforward and while it follows a pretty familiar structure (character makes a wish, doesn't like the consequences of the wish, wishes things back to normal), it doesn't pander to a feel-good audience by wrapping things up neatly at the end. His family is still just as annoying as they were, Templeton just learns to appreciate them more for who they are. It's a good message and Pizzoli doesn't beat you over the head with it.
Alice
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
Our Families drive us crazy...but in the end, they have your back! This book made me sad, that he wanted his family gone. Have them die and not be able to come back... and then see your dad everywhere you go. Selfish selfish Templeton!! We all like the house to ourselves for a night or weekend but I always want them back!
I liked the pictures, and I like that it will make kids reevaluate how much they love and need their family!
Steven Matview
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e
We got two new Pizzoli books at our branch this week – how lucky can we get? This is a fictional picture book, in the same vein as The Watermelon Seed and Number One Sam. The story is a bit like the movie ‘Home Alone’ – Templeton is frustrated by his family and wishes them away, then grows to miss them. All we need is a blowtorch and Catherine O'Hara shouting “TEMPLETON!”
Adrienne Pettinelli
In every Greg Pizzoli book, there is a moment that makes me snort-laugh no matter how many times I've looked at it. In this book, it's the look on Templeton's face when he realizes he can wish his family away. I don't know how Pizzoli manages to generate so much emotion with these simple blocks of color and what look like crayon lines, but he does, and I just love his books.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Templeton is tired of his family and wishes them away only to realize that he really wants them back. Not an original plot, by any means, but quite well done. The limited color palette with ample white space pushes the story forward efficiently and amusingly. A great read-aloud and fun illustrations.
Steph
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I cannot get enough of Greg Pizzoli's illustrations, but I'm not sure Templeton is a very nice little cat who learns anything in the end. "Home Alone" in book format, but possibly needing a good time out for his bad behavior.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Little Red Henry
  • Max the Brave
  • Matilda's Cat
  • Another Brother
  • Families, Families, Families!
  • To the Sea
  • Special Delivery
  • Where Are My Books?
  • Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems
  • By Mouse and Frog
  • One Family
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
Greg Pizzoli is the author and illustrator of The Watermelon Seed, winner of the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award, Number One Sam, Templeton Gets His Wish, Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower, and coming in April 2016, Good Night Owl. He lives in Philadelphia.
More about Greg Pizzoli