Start by marking “It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump: And Other Life Lessons I Learned from Dogs” as Want to Read:

A funny, profound book about the enduring wisdom of dogs, from the host of the enormously popular National Dog Show

Charming and hilarious, It�s Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump is more than a mere celebration of man�s best friend. In this lighthearted and reflective exploration of how and why dogs have served as some of our most valuable and enlightened teachers, w
Published November 2nd 2006 by Hudson Street Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump

Kay
Feb 24, 2009 added it
Try to jump into your bed but miss the bed on purpose. It is so funny! We laughed so hard. I learned "Never miss a Nap" and "If you're happy and You know it wag your tail
Amy
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nice little gems of wisdom and life lessons from dogs and Mr. Peterman! Who knew? I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me! Seriously.
Linda
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
I love dogs but this book was nothing to bark about.
Richard Grebenc
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up in the used book section when I had some time to kill. Pretty much the definition of beach reading. A breezy read, short chapters, fairly light stuff. Some good insights but little that will bowl one over. Big fans of the author will get some neat biographical insights and dog lovers will appreciate some of his pets' antics.
wordscantwait_
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so delighted to read this book. It was a book borrowed from a friend. And trust me I am totally bowled over with this gem of a novel from John. Its so simple to read through like a breeze. Yet so much to learn from every bit.
I must say, read this one and take down your own little notes for self help.
Cindi
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably not for everyone, but for dog lovers - it's a great, fun and gentle book
Deborah
A friend sent me this little book. It's a book of essays about whY the author has learned from his dogs. I enjoyed it. It was well written & very funny in parts.
Gerda Leek
so so
Roxy Miller
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read but gave O'Hurley's spin on having had dogs all his life and the lessons they've taught him. It was lighthearted but insightful.
Kimberly
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Achievement is one of the most important elements of the human experience. Along with acts of love and compassion, it is one of the fundamentals that give our lives meaning. A life devoid of achievement is a life wasted. It is as simple and brutal as that.

What is fascinating about dogs is they innately seem to get this. Dogs focus on what they want and go for it. Self-assessment and goal-definition are often the biggest logjams to the flow of achievement. Many of us are unhappy in our present s
Lisa
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
It could be that I'm simply judging books harder the more I read, but my average rating has been dropping lately. I hesitate to rate this book a 2, because in my mind that screams "don't read; waste of time!" Then again, it was simply "okay." So, 2.5. Now that I feel better....

I went into this thinking that I would read funny and charming tales about the author's dogs. Instead, I feel this is one of those book deals only offered to a famous person: an opportunity for him to write about his life
Sedona
Mar 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: reviewed
Being a dog owner (or do they own me?) and dog lover, I was drawn to this book. That said, I was hesitant to read another book predicated on dogs and what they teach us, particularly when I learned that one of the author's dogs is fifteen years old, because it always seems that a dog dies before the last page and I'm completely depressed and teary-eyed throughout the reading. Happily, this book was a welcome change from that scenario! Both of the author's current dogs made it through the entire ...more
Eric Smith
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the age old questions is what are dogs thinking? You can look at them and a thousand possibilities could pop up. Well, actor John O'Hurley, best known for playing J. Peterman on "Seinfeld," tries to answer that question for us. By observing his two dogs - Betty, a dachsund and black lab mix; and Scoshi, a maltese well in his years - tries to figure out what goes on in the mind and life of our canine companions. Along with the other dogs that have come and gone in his life, John compares h ...more
Kristin
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dog lovers.
Recommended to Kristin by: Mom
A great book in which O'Hurley reminisces about the dogs in his life and the lessons they've taught him, simply by being dogs. The main themes in the book are that we as humans tend to take ourselves too seriously and stress out over insignificant things in life. Dogs live in the present and don't act as if what happened in the past matters, and other than short term goals that are more a part of routine than 'plans', dogs don't live in the future either. Dogs also don't spend too much time dwel ...more
Lynn Rueff
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The author has served as host of the National Dog Show presented by Purina since 2002. In 2005 he became the ultimate champion of the show Dancing with the Stars. For years he stared as J. Peterman on Seinfeld and is the voice of the cartoon character "King Nepturne" in SpongeBob SquarePants. John O'Hurley also has played Billy Flynn in Chicago on Broadway. Presently he hosts the glame show Family Feud. Mr. O'Hurley owns 2 dogs: a Maltese "Scoshi" and a dachshund black lab mix "Betty". The chapt ...more
Heather
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Part memoir, part observational humor, part self-help, this easy read was a lot more enjoyable than I expected it to be. It's clear where the character of J. Peterman got his breezy poetic prose, as O'Hurley seems to indulge in the same now and again. Even if he used a ghost writer, the content, lessons, and tableaus he describes strike me as revealing a deeper person than I was expecting to encounter, with a touch of poet's heart. O'Hurley is not afraid to show himself at his most vulnerable, w ...more
Allanna
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Michael and I read this together ... and, wow. I'm not the biggest dog person (I like the IDEA of dogs: the fidelity, the unconditional love ... but I'm not great at the practical aspect of it. I mean, they drool, they smell, they don't use a litterbox (and the whole eating barf or poop? Or getting one's used feminine protection products out of the trash? Ew.)...

But reading this book makes me respect dogs more. And adore John O'Hurley even more, if such a thing is possible. He writes with incred
Michelle
Mar 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Michael and I went to a presentation John O'Hurley did on this book last year and it was great! He was so entertaining and it was awesome to be able to ask him all sorts of questions and hear his answers. It was really awesome and this book is fun. I think it would be even better to the book on cd as he's the narrator and the way he speaks is what really makes his humor so fun. So, if you just have the book you'll just have to imagine him talking as you read -- still pretty good!
Susan (aka Just My Op)
Divided into chapters about various lessons we can learn from our dogs, this is quick and uplifting read. The author and actor has learned lessons on napping, relaxing, confidence, living in the moment, and other insights that he has learned. Included at the beginning of each chapter is a cute picture of a dog. While not terribly profound, it is worth reading for those who would like something light and for dog-lovers everywhere.
Brianna Taylor
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for my boyfriend because i thought he'd appreciate it being the dog lover he is. We read it out loud tonight before bed and I couldn't go to sleep till I shared what a book this is. It's such an awesome perspective and just the right amount of quirky and innocent that jumps right to the soul of an actual puppy.
Cece Baez
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Must read for dog lovers!!! I recently read another dog book, but did not enjoyed it because the author was way too endulging...but this author did not self endulge, but was able to talk about dogs and life lessons in a way that does not protray him as a "preacher", in other words, he did not come through as a know-it-all.
Must read.
Vicki
Dec 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Cute, uplifting read about life through the eyes of a dog...told by a man. Well written, and from my view very true. Dogs are amazing animals full of unconditional love, happiness, and life, and they are not full of the stresses and drama that we have to deal with everyday. And we should all try to see the world through the eyes of a dog, at least once in a while.
Beth
Aug 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: nonfiction, dog-books
Dogs not only bring us unconditional love, but they also teach us some life lessons if you let them. And thus the premise of John O'Hurley's book It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump. If only humans could be as surrendering and nonjudgmental as dogs, we'd be a happier, more accepting species.
Margo
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book was slightly more interesting because I have seen the author on TV, specifically, as J Peterman on Seinfeld, and I sometimes watch the annual dog show that he hosts. I liked that the book was fairly short and had some funny tongue-in-cheek humor about dogs. It was a nice read to pass the time on the airplane.
Granny
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Hurley is very good at capturing the funny essence of living with a dog. Wish there were more fun books like this that lift the spirit and heart through our wonderful canine companions.
Jemma
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's such a wonderful book to read that you just don't want to put it down. I read it in a day & I laughed & cried & reflected on everything that was written. I now look at my dog (& cats) differently. A must read! You'll definitely learn things about yourself
JoAlice
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: very-favorite
I would give it 5 stars if it was a thicker book. I admit I really enjoyed the book. Learned some things about him I didn't know about him before. I like like eat he describes how he loves tomato soup. I'm glad I own this book.
Elaine
Good light reading, and fast. Funny and adds some touching life lessons from John O'Hurley. If you love dogs you will get a kick out of the book. rather endearing. i got my first wake-up kiss this morning. I guess 7:30 is it for me!
Carolyn
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is great book!! I enjoyed every page, the stories made me smile and even laugh out loud. Every dog lover should take the time to read this. I now get why I love my dog so much and the fact that I'm not the only one!
Jasmin
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Any "honest-to-goodness" dog lover can easily relate to any of the stories shared by John O'Hurley. Funny and witty... love the book! The author's perspective on the life lessons from his dogs are really worth pondering on.

• Nose Down, Eyes Up
  • The Man Who Talks to Dogs: The Story of Randy Grim and His Fight to Save America's Abandoned Dogs
  • Just Gus: A Rescued Dog and the Woman He Loved
  • Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm
  • What the Dog Did: Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner
  • You Are a Dog: Life Through the Eyes of Man's Best Friend
  • Don't Dump the Dog: Advice from America's Favorite Dog Rescuer
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
  • Dog is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship
  • Bad Dog: A Love Story
  • Bad Dogs Have More Fun: Selected Writings on Family, Animals, and Life from The Philadelphia Inquirer
  • Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • A Prince Among Dogs: and Other Stories of the Dogs We Love
  • Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls-- One Flying Disc at a Time
  • The Social Lives of Dogs: The Grace of Canine Company
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary