Start by marking “The Worst Class Trip Ever (The Worst, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Worst Class Trip Ever (The Worst, #1)

The Worst Class Trip Ever

(The Worst #1)

In this hilarious novel, written in the voice of eighth-grader Wyatt Palmer, Dave Barry takes us on a class trip to Washington, DC. Wyatt, his best friend, Matt, and a few kids from Culver Middle School find themselves in a heap of trouble-not just with their teachers, who have long lost patience with them -- but from several mysterious men they first meet on their flight ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Worst Class Trip Ever, please sign up.
Joe Kearney
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
School Reads Wyatt is the main character in the book

…more
Wyatt is the main character in the book

(less)

Start your review of The Worst Class Trip Ever (The Worst, #1)
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Because when your book-hatin’ kid tells you to read the story he just finished, there’s only one thing you can say . . . .

If you’re an old fogey you’re probably familiar with the name Dave Barry since he’s been around for about eleven trillion years. He kicks it kid-style in The Worst Class Trip Ever which, aptly named, is about a class field trip. Actually it’s about the class field trip. You know the one. In 8th Grade when every
Ms. Yingling
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Wyatt and his friend Matt sometimes get into trouble, but not the kind of trouble they manage to find when their 8th grade class travels from Miami to Washington, D.C. on a field trip. The two think that the men sitting behind them in the airplane are terrorists because of comments they make and the fact that one of them doesn't want to relinquish his backpack. The two get into a kerfluffle with the men on the airplane that almost makes their chaperone, Mr.
Raine
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
This is one of the books where the audiobook wins over the actual book.

It's on replay trillion times in this household. The adults are cracking up and the kids laugh out loud. Memorizing lines even.

It never leave our car ever since we put it on. It's been month number 9. Seriously, the kids still laugh at it.

and the Adults... well we tune out.
Until then, its on rotation right now.
Linda
I recently enjoyed my first Dave Barry novel, and now I'm finished enjoying my first Dave Barry middle grade book. He keeps surprising and impressing me!

This was in my Audible library, and my daughter (age 10) started listening to it on her own and then checked it out of the library in book form. And she started requesting it to listen in the car. And then we each finished it on our own.

It's a fun, crazy adventure to Washington D.C. with the 8th grade class at Culver City Middle School. There ar
Terry
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
OK, I'm adult. I admit it. This book was written for middle school kids. I actually used to teach middle school. So, I shouldn't have enjoyed the book, right? Wrong! This was so funny and entertaining (by Dave Barry, what would you expect?)! The characters shared the same everyday traumas as real kids, except slightly exaggerated...a lot exaggerated. Read it just for the fun of it!
C. L.
Nonsensical, not insubstantially racist, and, worst of all, not funny. I loved Dave Barry as a kid, and so this review pains me, but... I want the last six hours of my life back. Very much not recommended. (Thanks to netgalley.com for the e-ARC.)
Katy
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-kids-books
I read this to my 9 & 12 yr old sons. They give it 4 stars. It was funny.
I would only read them 2 chapters a night and they got mad and tried to steal the book to read ahead of me. I had to hide it or they would have stayed up all night to read it.
Gee, I wonder where they get that from.
Libby May
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Funny, I read it a while ago, I don't know why it's not marked...
Penny Wood
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was soooooooooooooo good! Funny, scary, and full of twists and turns. Some people were complaining about the end wasn't that good. WHATEVER. It was amazing. I knocked off a star cause I didn't like a few things. But overall, yay!!!!
Cyndi
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute story. Not as funny as most of Barry's stuff, but I guess he didn't want to torture the kids as much as he does his usual hapless hero. Not much on the cool sites in D.C. But I guess it's hard for a preteen boy to concentrate on the Smithsonian when his thoughts are taken up by the kid who farts a lot and the pretty, popular girl he yearns for.
I can tell you from my one visit to D.C. you can't go anywhere without seeing the Washington Monument! It's like this ever present deity looking at
Laura Gardner
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read aloud with 6th grade lunch bunch.
Robin Hatcher
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
For years and years, Dave Barry's humor column was the first thing I read in the newspaper. When this YA book was recommended to me (can't remember if it was Audible or Goodreads) and it was on sale, I bought it. Good decision. I had so much fun listening to it (I think I must be a young adult at heart). It was often laugh out loud funny. In fact, I'm sure there were times when I was listening in the car that other motorists must have wondered what was wrong with me, all alone in my car and laug ...more
Shannon
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Boys enjoyed and laughed out loud. Even requested I read for 1 hour as soon as we got home from school so we could finish it tonight. I call that a success!
Aimee
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dave Barry always makes me laugh and I confess, I gave this book an extra star just because it made me laugh when I really needed to feel better. Middle schoolers from Florida (because Dave Barry) go on a field trip to Washington, D.C., and wind up foiling an attempted assassination of the President. The why and how are exactly as wacky as you’d expect from the mind of Dave Barry.
Jen Bojkov
Solid Dave Barry story. About a kid on a middle school field trip to D.C. He and his buddies become embroiled in a plot to do something nefarious. However all is not as it seems. Let the hilariousness ensue.
Bookista
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
I am usually a big Dave Barry fan but this book was a miss for me. Maybe I am too old to read about 8th graders trying to prevent international assassinations. The characters in the book were annoying. It did not do it for me!
Natalie
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is seriously amazing!!!! When you think the book is at a steady pace......BAM!-it hits you with an unexpected twist.You should read this book!:)
Alysia
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, 2019
Hands down: Best book I have ever read aloud to my class. It was the perfect blend of humor and suspense. The kids (and I) were fully engaged in it from start to finish. Fantastic book!!!
Kai Katoch
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
lots of adventure for kids who like that and a bit of romance if you like that.
Justin Gonzalez
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was super cute! The wife read it to me during car trips. It was so funny as well!
Laurie Allin
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, audio
Got this in anticipation of my kids class trip to DC in a couple of months and listened with the family on a road trip. Dave Barry has always been a favorite humor columnist of mine, and he didn't disappoint. It was hilarious. We were all laughing and very much enjoyed the awkward antics of Wyatt and his 8th grade friends as they attempt to thwart a terrorist plot.
Tanya M.
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A quick fun read. Totally appropriate for my tween boy. I think he will get a kick out of it.
Hobart
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
There's not a whole lot to say about this one -- this is the story of some of clever (and yet dopey) 8th grade students from Miami on a field trip to Washington, D. C., who fall into a strange predicament involving international intrigue, kidnapping, an attack on the White House/President and very, very petty theft. The only other thing you need to know is that Dave Barry wrote it, so it's goofy and very funny.

The humor is juvenile -- even for Barry. Adults who remember the target audience, and
James
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The Worst Class Trip Ever was very different from what l expected, based on the cover. I didn’t expect a girl to do a flying kick to a taxi driver. Or two people being taken hostage. Or an attempted assassination on a military general. Or the main bad guys in the first half of the book actually being the good guys.

This realistic-fiction book, would be aimed for 8-9 year olds and should be read in a shorter amount of time. It is the first book of two. The story takes place in Washington, D.C. an
Alex
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed The Worst Class Trip Ever by Dave Barry a lot. It is a humorous book about an 8th grader named Wyatt and his friends on their chaotic class trip to Washington D.C. On the plane there, his best friend Matt is convinced that the two suspicious looking men behind them are terrorists, and that really sets the story going. Matt steals a device from the men that looks like a detonator, and the men are determined to get it back. Wyatt is dragged into the idea that they are terrorists by Matt ...more
Sheila Beaumont
I loved this laugh-out-loud, action-packed tale of adventure by Dave Barry, who really should write more middle-school books. The plot concerns a school trip to Washington, D.C., in which Wyatt and some of his fellow eighth-graders spot some "terrorists" on the plane, and set out to stop an attack on the White House.

The story is bizarre and incredible, involving a country called "Gadakistan," a dragon kite, an irate taxi driver determined to collect his fare, a deadly snake, a hunting fork, and
smgK8
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
So let me start by saying that this book was in my list because book #2 was recommended at a conference of new YA and middle grade books and I don't like to read series books without at least reading the first in the series. Then I found this on a list that said it was realistic fiction. Let me be clear. This book is not realistic fiction.
Having said that it was quite funny. It follows a group of 5 kids on their eighth grade class trip to D.C. and their hilarious mix up in international affairs
Bjipson
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school
This was an extremely quick and fun read. Dave Barry's main character is on a class trip from Miami to Washington DC and thinks a couple of fellow passengers on the plane are plotting to kill the president. Cool girl Suzana becomes convinced and teams up with Wyatt and his best friend, Matt, to try to foil the plot -- gotta love that she is cool but not snotty, smart and athletic, as well as assertive and funny. Descriptions and details of the whole 8th grade experience ring true, and this shoul ...more
Coltonc
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book I'm reading is called the worst class trip ever. A couple of things that I like about the book is that it is real funny. The main character is Wyatt Palmer. There's this girl named Suzana,but usually when Wyatt is around her he usually does something wrong witch is funny. The story contains elements of mystery. When Wyatt is on the plain to Washington there are these weird and mischievous guys on the plain that Wyatt thinks they have a bomb in their bag. A couple of things I didn't like ...more
Quinby6696 Frank
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was trying to find some funny books for my teenage grandson who had a particularly trying year in middle school. Humor is the best medicine - right? Well, Dave Barry definitely came through! This book is classic Barry humor and I loved it! I really miss his weekly humor columns in The Washington Post. We used to spend Sunday morning rolling on the floor from reading his stuff. Especially loved the one about skiing, but they never failed to disappoint.
Funniest moment? 2 4 Jul 26, 2019 01:12PM

• Nooks & Crannies
  • A Library of Lemons
  • Olguța și un bunic de milioane
  • Class Action
  • All the Answers
  • The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #1)
  • Confessions of an Imaginary Friend
  • The Lost Track of Time
  • The Doublecross: And Other Skills I Learned as a Superspy
  • Max Einstein: Rebels With A Cause (Max Einstein, #2)
  • The Tapper Twins Go to War (with each other) (The Tapper Twins, #1)
  • Max Einstein: The Genius Experiment (Max Einstein, #1)
  • Human Body Theater
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaoh (Agatha, Girl of Mystery #1)
  • Surori în luna de miere. Duşmănie la cataramă.  Prietenie la cuţite
  • Felix, asta-i culmea!
  • War Stories
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as

The Worst (2 books)
  • The Worst Night Ever (The Worst, #2)