Start by marking “Guts & Glory: The Vikings” as Want to Read:
Guts & Glory: The Vikings

Guts & Glory: The Vikings

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
History comes alive for kids like no textbook can in this epic account of the time of the Vikings that's perfect for history buffs and reluctant readers! Contains awesome illustrations!
From battle-axe-wielding tribes plundering the greatest cities of Europe to powerful kings and queens ruling their dominions with iron fists, the Vikings were some of the most feared and fea
Published June 9th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published May 12th 2015)

B.A. Wilson
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
I do not under any circumstances recommend this, as having read 8 Viking books and sat through 2 lecture series now, it became clear very quickly that this resources is biased, over-generalized, and over-dramatized. I am by no means an expert on Vikings, which means the discrepancies are clear and in your face. I didn’t go looking for them. They came to me.

What this book does is tell some half-truths about the Vikings, which are very misleading. I believe it does this so as to add “excitement,”
Natalie
There's just something about Vikings and Norse mythology that is so thrilling to me. I enjoyed reading about the many different vicious Vikings that plundered through the ages. I liked Thompson's low-key, chill style of writing. He joked around a lot. If I could get any of my students to pick up books like this, I think they would enjoy joking. I especially appreciated all the Lord of the Rings references.

The hardest part for me was trying to keep all the different ...Hair this and ....Good tha
Jess
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this book. Honestly, I picked this up because one of my kiddos is working through Viking history, and I thought this might be a little fun reading. The structure is set in a way that you can read for short periods and still get a full story of a person. The asides, like the "Know Your Viking and grey parts (example: "The Moo of Insanity" on p. 106) give bite sized facts in a creative way and break up the text.

The actual treatment of the history and mythology was lack
Beth
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I found it hard to parse the non-fiction parts from the jocular tone, and the lack of footnotes didn't help. Coming right after the lucid prose of Fatal Fever this was annoying. Also, they book was aggressively masculine, in a way that came perilously near "toxic masculinity" -- women were disparaged casually, astonishment expressed when a girl entered the story (which isn't all that rare in Viking history), and girly clearly used as an insult. It pandered to the lowest denomination in an attemp ...more
Ezekiel Leyva
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book, "Guts and Glory: The Vikings," by Ben Thompson is about numerous stories about famous vikings who each have succeeded in their plan. The book explains why the vikings were so fierce and their plot in taking power. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves an adventure and likes vikings. I however did not like this book because it got boring over time and the stories were not interesting anymore.
Adam
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
"The Vikings picked a ton of grapes and made their own wine, which was huge for them because grapes didn't grow in Scandinavia, and usually anytime the Vikings wanted a nice bottle of fine wine, they had to burn a Frankish monastery to the ground and pry it from the hands of a Catholic monk."

This, from a childrens' book about Vikings. There is hope for America after all.

Nice lil' account goin' move n' shaker, by mover n' shaker; tying the story into the greater weave of European history. Quite i
Anita
Persuading a reluctant/resistant reader to pick up a book and give it a chance can feel like pitching a kale smoothie at a McDonald's Drive-Thru. Ben Thompson's Guts & Glory series is for kids (and adults) who like a generous helping of humor to make history more palatable. Pair this with Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase series.
Kaavya Jethwa
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very funny at some parts
Thomas Griffith
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am on page 50 of Guts and Glory Vikings. I started reading this book because I had to chose a non fiction book to do a report on and I thought that this was the most interesting one. Also, its about Vikings and who doesn't like that.

I like this book because it is filled with interesting information. It tells all of there beliefs and Gods. They even talk about Thor. For example they talked about how Thor would fight the evil goods and how they believed at the end of the universe only 6 Gods and
Dakota O'Conner
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a bunch of Viking sages that lead up to the ultimate battle. I gave the book five stars because I liked the dialogue, how he set up his storyline, and how he uses detail. This book reminded me of a movie called,"Dusk Till Dawn" because the Vikings and the characters on the movie were out numbered ninety-nine point nine percent of the time. I would recommend this book because it gives factual information but the author adds a twist.
Mary Mason
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. It's like listening to a really great history professor, with all the interesting details and backstory. If you think you don't like history, give this author a try - he'll change your mind.
Hazen Master
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
These books are so very enjoyable. Rife with information and fun, breezy reads. Vikings!
Heidi
Nov 20, 2015
Gabriel L.
Tim Pean
« previous 1 3 next »
I write stuff about badasses.
More about Ben Thompson

• Just Another Kid
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
    $8.73 $1.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99