Start by marking “The Paradox (Oversight Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Paradox (Oversight Trilogy, #2)

The Paradox

(Oversight Trilogy #2)

SOMETIMES YOU LOOK IN THE MIRROR – SOMETIMES IT LOOKS BACK

Those who belong to the secret society called the Oversight know many things. They know cold iron will hold back the beasts in the darkness. They know it is dangerous to stand between two mirrors. And they know that, despite their dwindling numbers, it remains their duty to protect humanity from the supernatural. An
Published August 18th 2015 by Orbit (first published May 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paradox

Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 3*
Book 2: 3.5*

UF/Steampunk series set in Victorian England encompassing an ancient group who are protectors of London against things that go bump in the night.

This was a much better book than the first and had the ending been on a grander scale I would have given it 4*'s. This book however is a clear setup book to the third and final chapter in the story. There's a multitude of storylines in progress and I expect book 3 to bring them all together.

I think the biggest difference between
Arielle Walker
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Somewhere between reading - and loving - The Oversight, and finally picking this book up, I forgot how good the series actually is.

Which made for a very nice surprise indeed as once again, I couldn't put the damn thing down til I'd finished. There's something lovely here, in the tone and language and settings and imagery that means that even though I'm struggling weeks later to put my finger on an actual plot, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

There are events that slide into other events, and
Jasper
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2015...

Last year Charlie Fletcher really took me by surprise with his Urban Fantasy debut The Oversight. This dark, Gothic inspired story contained a ton of wealth in terms of atmosphere, characters and general ideas. I nominated The Oversight for one of the best Urban Fantasy books that I read last year. So you can quite imagine that I had more than just hopes for how Charlie Fletcher would execute his sequel. I am going to be honest. Wow.
Yzabel Ginsberg
Interesting in that it picks up loos threads from the first book and expands on them, but it definitely reads like a seris of "middles", with no real plot to speak of. The danger the Oversight has to face is basically thrown in through a few sparse chapters, and it feels like more loose threads were added in preparation for a third book.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I had greatly enjoyed the Oversight and knew The Paradox would be a good book. But even I was surprised to find myself just as riveted as with the first. Mythology and canon are greatly expanded, providing quite a few surprises and consistently delivering unexpected twists and turns. But this book has a beating heart at the center - well drawn, nuanced, flawed, but remarkable characters who are fascinating to follow.

Auth
Charon Lloyd-Roberts
So I don't know why I didn't write a review for The Oversight speaking of which I need to re-read that book at somepoint because heck these books are brilliant...Anyway when are we getting the final book? I mean seriously the way The Paradox ended well I was pretty shocked as to how it ended and no I didn't see it coming either but hey things have been turned up a notch.

A summery for The Paradox:

Sometimes you look in the mirror-Sometimes it looks back.

Those who belong to the secret society calle
Giulia Herondale
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Bellissimo! Migliore rispetto al primo.
ancora non mi va giù il fatto di avere così pochi capitoli di Sharp o di Sara, per privilegiare tanti punti di vista, ma questa è una delle particolarità di questa saga. Almeno ci sono stati meno capitoli dei Tempblane del Marchese e di Lucy, personaggio che non sopporto.
Ancora una volta l'originalità è la chiave di questo libro, ci sono stati molti colpi di scena,e sono rimasta con il fiato sospeso fino alla fine.
La storia d'amore di Sharp e Sara è delic
Jeremy Jackson
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have a weakness for gothic Victorian fantasy, and this series is the best modern example of it I've come across. Despite the setting being one of the most overdone in English literature (Dickensian clones are almost as easy to find in second-hand bookshops as Dickens himself), these books are fresh and vibrant, the world-building first-rate, the story gripping, and the prose shockingly good.

The Paradox is everything a sequel should be- the story grew deeper, the characters changed organically
Sofie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second book in the series is overall better paced and more to my liking than the first. It does however still feel very much like a middle book. The book also introduces and evolves a lot of characters which is worth the read.
Sean Collins
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A definite middle book. Took a little get reacquainted with the world the novels exist in, but by 1/3rd was fully hooked again. Great writing, but feels unfinished - not a cliffhanger into the next book, but more that there should have been at least another chapter or two before ending.
The Bookend Family
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***** 5 out of 5 Stars
Review by: Mark Palm
Mirrors inside Mirrors.

The Oversight by Charlie Fletcher was one of my favorite book of 2014, so I was seriously anticipating the second book in the series. Well, I just read The Paradox and I was not disappointed! To give you some background The Oversight was set in mid-nineteenth century England and was about a mystical organization that protected humans from the evils of the Supernatural world, and the people and creatures out to destroy the group. Th
Ciaran Mcgowan
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, forever-reads
"we all come into the world through a woman: birth's feminine. Only right that a woman should hold the door on the way out." - C. Fletcher, The Paradox, Chapter 42, Page 345.

I am in complete awe, but am also feeling the pain of the events in this sequel. The Paradox continues from the events of The Oversight, we see the Free Company go through a hell of a lot, and the characters individually more so.
Lucy and Charlie make some hard decisions, we learn a lot about The Smiths past, Hodge adjusts, C
Wendy
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In "The Paradox" the second darkly gripping novel in the trilogy begins with the Oversight facing extinction as the Templebanes plan the destruction of the Safe House in Wellclose Square. Among the threads of this mesmerizing story are Sara Falk's hunt for Jack Sharp in the mirror maze; the revelation of Smith's secret past; Amos Templebane's mission to free the Slaugh from their aversion to iron; and the training of Lucy Harker and Charlie Pyefinch as members of the Last Hand. With imaginative ...more
Chip
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Middlebookitis. Rather wish I'd waited for the third to be out, instead of now having to wait a year or more to close the loop. Far too much to remember, and I suspect the third will be less enjoyable with memory of the second faded.
Jill Elizabeth
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great series - Charlie Fletcher creates amazing worlds and populates them with rich, unique, incredibly interesting characters... In this second installment in the trilogy, things are coming together and falling apart in equal measure. It's unusual for a middle book, to my mind, in that it presents an entirely engaging story on its own. Generally speaking, I tend to find middle books to be the glue books - they tie bits together and introduce/develop many of the elements that are ...more
Colin Murtagh
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'd been looking forward to this since finishing the first in the series, and boy he didn't let me down. This picks up where the last book left off, so really, you have to read the first book before thinking of this one.
The oversight are in disarray, Sara Falk and Jack Sharp are both missing in the mirrors, Cook, Smith and Hodge are looking after, and training Lucy and Charlie. Meanwhile the Templebanes are looking for ways to finally kill off the Oversight, and the Sluagh are trying to reclaim
Milliebot
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don’t want to talk too much about the plot of The Paradox, because it picks up right where The Oversight left off. But I will say that as a sequel, it lived up to its predecessor by keeping me invested in the plot and characters. Fletcher did a good job of lightly reviewing some of the information from the first book without overloading (I hate when books dump half of book one back into your lap – I already read the first book, that’s why I’m reading the sequel!) He also continued to divulge n ...more
Claire
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first book took a while to grip me but The Paradox was enthralling from page 1. Charlie and Lucy are now provisionally members of the Oversight and we see their training, set against the slow decline of that team and the aftermath of book one. We follow Amos and Ghost and sympathise with the dilemmas of both. And most excitingly we see Jack and Sara (thank God she has her head screwed on correctly; Jack is far too trusting) stumble through the mirror maze and discover the truth behind the Di ...more
Kate
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.75 Black Mirror Stars

An excellent second book, and it smoothly carried on from the first and expanded the story. Many of the questions I was left with at the end of the first book were resolved, but only led to more questions and desire to read on.

The world is fascinating and the tensions are reaching fever pitch for the final book in the series. I still feel oddly removed from many of the characters, but I thoroughly enjoy how diverse the personalities and motives.

I am looking forward to rea
Saphana
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Review is up on my blog. Caution - the blog theme does not support spoiler tags. I did place the review under a "read-more", however, it doesn't show up. No idea, why.
Sadie
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant second book in the series - if you like fantasy this series is soooooooooo good. Can't wait for the next one.
Deano
Dec 16, 2014 marked it as to-read
Loved the first one and can't wait to grab hold of a signed copy over at the Quill & Claw very soon.
Strega Del Crepuscolo
Recensione del blog Le Tazzine di yoko

Dopo aver divorato Oversight non potevo lasciarmi sfuggire The Paradox!
In questo secondo romanzo l’autore dà vita a un intrico di storie molto complesso: alleanze, leggende, e un male antico che aleggia su Londra.
L’autore riesce perfettamente nel difficile compito di disseminare indizi e spizzichi di informazioni qua e là, senza svelare le sue carte e incuriosendo da morire il lettore, sono convinta che nel terzo romanzo succederà qualcosa di davvero grosso
Federica Laviano
Finalmente questo libro è stato tradotto! Ammetto che cominciavo a non sperarci più, ma non volevo credere di dover aggiungere anche questa saga alla lunghissima lista delle saghe interrotte, ma fortunatamente non è stato così.
A differenza del primo libro, qui ci si ritrova subito nel centro dell'azione che si dipana in diverse direzioni, si seguono gli addestramenti dei nuovi membri della mano, si esplora il mondo degli specchi con i dispersi, si spiano le mosse dei cattivi che sono usciti feri
C.C. Monö
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I've now read the two first books in this series, and I must be honest - I'm struggling to decide how to rate it. Part of me loves it and another is going "nah", not for me...I know, sound's crazy but it's true-I can't decide what I think about it. So I'm giving it a 3.

I still haven't decided if I want to read book three. If you're out there and have read it - did you like it?
Kate
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting supernatural world system plus interesting characters. I think I liked this one better than the first in the series, interested to see where the next book goes and hope it involves fleshing out the characters and background further.
Craig
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent. Just as much energy, twists and turns of the story as book one The Oversight. Lots of new elements added to keep everything interesting. Really looking forward to book three, The Remnant, but it's not in our library system so will have to look for it elsewhere.
Alicat
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was not as good as the first book in the series
Valerie Drew
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this series.
Goodreads Librari...: Hardback edition of The Paradox needs the cover added 2 12 Oct 06, 2015 04:47AM
  • The Wisdom of Dead Men (Wildenstern Saga, #2)
  • Solomon's Thieves, Book One
  • ゆかりズム 1 (Yukarism, #1)
  • A Whisper in Time (Whisper Falls #2)
  • Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2)
  • The Boys of Fire and Ash
  • Prairie Fire (The Story of Owen, #2)
  • Killer of Enemies (Killer of Enemies, #1)
  • The Blind Wish (The Jinni Wars, #2)
  • Smek for President! (Smek, #2)
  • Flora's Fury (Flora Trilogy, #3)
  • Journey's End
  • Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death (Agamemnon Frost, #1)
  • King of the Cracksmen: A Steampunk Entertainment
  • Chemical Light  (The Lifelight Series, #4)
  • The Absconded Ambassador (Genrenauts, #2)
  • Surrender to a Stranger
  • Binary (®Evolution, #2)
Charlie Fletcher is the author of Stoneheart, shortlisted for the Branford Boase award and longlisted for the Guardian children’s fiction award, the sequels Ironhand and Silvertongue, and the stand-alone YA novel Far Rockaway.

His first adult novel The Oversight will be published in May 2014 in the US and UK.

Dragon Shield, the start of a new trilogy set in the Stoneheart world of London will be pu

Oversight Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Oversight (Oversight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Remnant (Oversight Trilogy, #3)
“He knew this now without a moment’s hesitation: life was sweet because the opposite was a blank and bitter darkness in which nothing grew, not even hope.” 0 likes
“Just like as in a nest of boxes round, Degrees of sizes in each box are found: So, in this world, may many others be Thinner and less, and less still by degree … by Margaret Cavendish,
Duchess of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (1623–1653)”
0 likes