Start by marking “The Paradox (Oversight Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Paradox (Oversight Trilogy, #2)

The Paradox

(Oversight Trilogy #2)

SOMETIMES YOU LOOK IN THE MIRROR – SOMETIMES IT LOOKS BACK

Those who belong to the secret society called the Oversight know many things. They know cold iron will hold back the beasts in the darkness. They know it is dangerous to stand between two mirrors. And they know that, despite their dwindling numbers, it remains their duty to protect humanity from the supernatural. An
Published August 18th 2015 by Orbit (first published May 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paradox

Start your review of The Paradox (Oversight Trilogy, #2)
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 3*
Book 2: 3.5*

UF/Steampunk series set in Victorian England encompassing an ancient group who are protectors of London against things that go bump in the night.

This was a much better book than the first and had the ending been on a grander scale I would have given it 4*'s. This book however is a clear setup book to the third and final chapter in the story. There's a multitude of storylines in progress and I expect book 3 to bring them all together.

I think the biggest difference between
Arielle Walker
Somewhere between reading - and loving - The Oversight, and finally picking this book up, I forgot how good the series actually is.

Which made for a very nice surprise indeed as once again, I couldn't put the damn thing down til I'd finished. There's something lovely here, in the tone and language and settings and imagery that means that even though I'm struggling weeks later to put my finger on an actual plot, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

There are events that slide into other events, and
Yzabel Ginsberg
Interesting in that it picks up loos threads from the first book and expands on them, but it definitely reads like a seris of "middles", with no real plot to speak of. The danger the Oversight has to face is basically thrown in through a few sparse chapters, and it feels like more loose threads were added in preparation for a third book.
Jasper
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2015...

Last year Charlie Fletcher really took me by surprise with his Urban Fantasy debut The Oversight. This dark, Gothic inspired story contained a ton of wealth in terms of atmosphere, characters and general ideas. I nominated The Oversight for one of the best Urban Fantasy books that I read last year. So you can quite imagine that I had more than just hopes for how Charlie Fletcher would execute his sequel. I am going to be honest. Wow.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I had greatly enjoyed the Oversight and knew The Paradox would be a good book. But even I was surprised to find myself just as riveted as with the first. Mythology and canon are greatly expanded, providing quite a few surprises and consistently delivering unexpected twists and turns. But this book has a beating heart at the center - well drawn, nuanced, flawed, but remarkable characters who are fascinating to follow.

A
Charon Lloyd-Roberts
So I don't know why I didn't write a review for The Oversight speaking of which I need to re-read that book at somepoint because heck these books are brilliant...Anyway when are we getting the final book? I mean seriously the way The Paradox ended well I was pretty shocked as to how it ended and no I didn't see it coming either but hey things have been turned up a notch.

A summery for The Paradox:

Sometimes you look in the mirror-Sometimes it looks back.

Those who belong to the secret society calle
Jeremy Jackson
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have a weakness for gothic Victorian fantasy, and this series is the best modern example of it I've come across. Despite the setting being one of the most overdone in English literature (Dickensian clones are almost as easy to find in second-hand bookshops as Dickens himself), these books are fresh and vibrant, the world-building first-rate, the story gripping, and the prose shockingly good.

The Paradox is everything a sequel should be- the story grew deeper, the characters changed organically
Sofie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second book in the series is overall better paced and more to my liking than the first. It does however still feel very much like a middle book. The book also introduces and evolves a lot of characters which is worth the read.
Sean Collins
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A definite middle book. Took a little get reacquainted with the world the novels exist in, but by 1/3rd was fully hooked again. Great writing, but feels unfinished - not a cliffhanger into the next book, but more that there should have been at least another chapter or two before ending.
jD
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-all-2019
Every time I think I have figured out the direction of things, something happens that makes me go 'whoa'. I'm just going on to the third book and close of the trilogy. Like right now.
The Bookend Family
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***** 5 out of 5 Stars
Review by: Mark Palm
Mirrors inside Mirrors.

The Oversight by Charlie Fletcher was one of my favorite book of 2014, so I was seriously anticipating the second book in the series. Well, I just read The Paradox and I was not disappointed! To give you some background The Oversight was set in mid-nineteenth century England and was about a mystical organization that protected humans from the evils of the Supernatural world, and the people and creatures out to destroy the group. Th
Ciaran Mcgowan
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, forever-reads
"we all come into the world through a woman: birth's feminine. Only right that a woman should hold the door on the way out." - C. Fletcher, The Paradox, Chapter 42, Page 345.

I am in complete awe, but am also feeling the pain of the events in this sequel. The Paradox continues from the events of The Oversight, we see the Free Company go through a hell of a lot, and the characters individually more so.
Lucy and Charlie make some hard decisions, we learn a lot about The Smiths past, Hodge adjusts, C
Wendy
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In "The Paradox" the second darkly gripping novel in the trilogy begins with the Oversight facing extinction as the Templebanes plan the destruction of the Safe House in Wellclose Square. Among the threads of this mesmerizing story are Sara Falk's hunt for Jack Sharp in the mirror maze; the revelation of Smith's secret past; Amos Templebane's mission to free the Slaugh from their aversion to iron; and the training of Lucy Harker and Charlie Pyefinch as members of the Last Hand. With imaginative ...more
Chip
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Middlebookitis. Rather wish I'd waited for the third to be out, instead of now having to wait a year or more to close the loop. Far too much to remember, and I suspect the third will be less enjoyable with memory of the second faded.
Jill Elizabeth
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great series - Charlie Fletcher creates amazing worlds and populates them with rich, unique, incredibly interesting characters... In this second installment in the trilogy, things are coming together and falling apart in equal measure. It's unusual for a middle book, to my mind, in that it presents an entirely engaging story on its own. Generally speaking, I tend to find middle books to be the glue books - they tie bits together and introduce/develop many of the elements that are ...more
Colin Murtagh
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'd been looking forward to this since finishing the first in the series, and boy he didn't let me down. This picks up where the last book left off, so really, you have to read the first book before thinking of this one.
The oversight are in disarray, Sara Falk and Jack Sharp are both missing in the mirrors, Cook, Smith and Hodge are looking after, and training Lucy and Charlie. Meanwhile the Templebanes are looking for ways to finally kill off the Oversight, and the Sluagh are trying to reclaim
Milliebot
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don’t want to talk too much about the plot of The Paradox, because it picks up right where The Oversight left off. But I will say that as a sequel, it lived up to its predecessor by keeping me invested in the plot and characters. Fletcher did a good job of lightly reviewing some of the information from the first book without overloading (I hate when books dump half of book one back into your lap – I already read the first book, that’s why I’m reading the sequel!) He also continued to divulge n ...more
Claire
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first book took a while to grip me but The Paradox was enthralling from page 1. Charlie and Lucy are now provisionally members of the Oversight and we see their training, set against the slow decline of that team and the aftermath of book one. We follow Amos and Ghost and sympathise with the dilemmas of both. And most excitingly we see Jack and Sara (thank God she has her head screwed on correctly; Jack is far too trusting) stumble through the mirror maze and discover the truth behind the Di ...more
Kate
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.75 Black Mirror Stars

An excellent second book, and it smoothly carried on from the first and expanded the story. Many of the questions I was left with at the end of the first book were resolved, but only led to more questions and desire to read on.

The world is fascinating and the tensions are reaching fever pitch for the final book in the series. I still feel oddly removed from many of the characters, but I thoroughly enjoy how diverse the personalities and motives.

I am looking forward to rea
Saphana
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Review is up on my blog. Caution - the blog theme does not support spoiler tags. I did place the review under a "read-more", however, it doesn't show up. No idea, why. ...more
Deano
Dec 16, 2014 marked it as to-read
Loved the first one and can't wait to grab hold of a signed copy over at the Quill & Claw very soon. ...more
Sadie
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant second book in the series - if you like fantasy this series is soooooooooo good. Can't wait for the next one.
Jen
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Straight on to the last in the trilogy. GOT to find out what happens 🤗
Gillian
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The only reason this doesn’t get 4 stars is because it’s a little all over the place. What is going on is brilliantly done, there’s just so much of it I found it hard to concentrate and little confusing.
Sharp and Sarah Falk are both trapped in the world of mirrors, each looking for the other and trying to safely navigate the evils which lurk there. Cook, The Smith and Hodge are assessing the weakened position of the Oversight and bringing the youngsters Charlie and Lucy
C.C. Monö
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I've now read the two first books in this series, and I must be honest - I'm struggling to decide how to rate it. Part of me loves it and another is going "nah", not for me...I know, sound's crazy but it's true-I can't decide what I think about it. So I'm giving it a 3.

I still haven't decided if I want to read book three. If you're out there and have read it - did you like it?
Kate
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting supernatural world system plus interesting characters. I think I liked this one better than the first in the series, interested to see where the next book goes and hope it involves fleshing out the characters and background further.
Craig
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent. Just as much energy, twists and turns of the story as book one The Oversight. Lots of new elements added to keep everything interesting. Really looking forward to book three, The Remnant, but it's not in our library system so will have to look for it elsewhere.
Kris Sterner
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Charlie Fletchers's books. This was fun because he read it - always cautious when the author reads their own books - but he was very good. This series is a great follow up to the Stoneheart Trilogy
Lisa Dugan
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Having read books 1 & 2 Back to back I found that I enjoyed Book one more. It was as a completely new world and kept adding new twists. This is definitely a Middle-book in that there were times I found myself wading through to get to the end so that I could find out what really happens in book 3. Don’t get me wrong there is expansion of the story / characters and some new twists as well as character additions, I just felt like I knew it was going to get more murky before anything could resolve. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ostatnie namaszczenie
  • Dom Ziemi i Krwi. Część 1 (Księżycowe miasto, #1A)
  • Dom Ziemi i Krwi. Część 2 (Księżycowe miasto, #1B)
  • I'm Staying at Richard's: Raising the Exceptional Son I Never Expected
  • Crossbones Yard (Alice Quentin, #1)
  • Cokolwiek wybierzesz (Ukryta sieć, #1)
  • My Kind of Town
  • And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic, #2)
  • Płacz
  • Training The Brain: Cultivating Emotional Skills (Wired To Connect: Dialogues On Social Intelligence, 5)
  • Murders and Metaphors (Magical Bookshop, #3)
  • Namiestnik
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library #6)
  • 4 Riverside Close
  • Cień
  • Jaga (Kwiat paproci, #5)
  • Droga Dusz (Żniwiarz, #4)
  • Świątynia na bagnach (Siedmioksiąg Grzechu #3; Bramy ze złota #1)
Also publishes under C.A. Fletcher

Charlie Fletcher is the author of Stoneheart, shortlisted for the Branford Boase award and longlisted for the Guardian children’s fiction award, the sequels Ironhand and Silvertongue, and the stand-alone YA novel Far Rockaway.

His first adult novel The Oversight will be published in May 2014 in the US and UK.

Dragon Shield, the start of a new trilogy set in the Sto

Oversight Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Oversight (Oversight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Remnant (Oversight Trilogy, #3)