Start by marking “Rory the Dinosaur: Me and My Dad” as Want to Read:

(Rory the Dinosaur #1)

Meet Rory, the dinosaur. He loves spending time with his dad, but today he wants to go on his own adventure and explore his island home. He can't wait to tell his dad all about the things he can do all by himself, from crossing rivers to finding shelter from the rain. Little does Rory know, his father is never far behind. There's nothing Rory's dad won't do for his intrepi ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rory the Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rory the Dinosaur

Start your review of Rory the Dinosaur: Me and My Dad
Abigail
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Picture-Books About Children With Their Fathers
Rory the dinosaur is an active little guy, so when his father, tired out from keeping up with him, and in need of some quiet reading time of his own, withdraws with headphones on, the prehistoric youngster takes off for an adventure by himself. At least, he thinks he's by himself...

Character artist Liz Climo, who has worked on The Simpsons cartoon, made her picture-book debut with Rory the Dinosaur: Me and My Dad, and the result is a little tale with distinct charm. The artwork here is simple bu
Jean
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, storytime
Rory is so cute!!! I love his adventure!
Thomas Edmund
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this book, from Dad needing quiet time, to Rory remaining on friendly terms with the wild pig he thinks he scared. Cute art, cute story, woohoo
Shannon
Rory the Dinosaur: Me and My Dad

I Picked Up This Book Because: Recently discovered the writer/artist on Instagram

The Story:

Super cute. Would be a fun read for little ones. Great artwork.

The Random Thoughts:

#2020LibraryLoveChallenge

4 Stars
Chance Lee
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Charming story about an adorable dino and his dad. The story is cute and funny and heartwarming. The illustrations are simply, but packed with personality and humor. A fun little adventure story.
Emma
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prof
Rory is an energetic dinosaur who lives on an island with his father in Rory the Dinosaur: Me and My Dad (2015) by Liz Climo.

When Rory's dad needs quiet time, Rory sets out to find some adventures all by himself. Little does he know, Dad is there every step of the way to make sure that nothing goes wrong.

Bright, bold colors and clean lines help bring these whimsical characters (previously seen in Climo's comic Tumblr and her book The Little World of Liz Climo) to life.

Climo's hand lettering lend
Lisa Hoang aka The Consummate Reader
This book is most definitely meant for children under the age of 8, but I am a huge fan of Liz Climo's art. Such a cute story about a rambunctious little dinosaur named Rory and his dad. I really enjoyed this children's book, despite my age. :)
Laurel
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-dude, little-miss
Message learned: There's help along the way, although you may not see it.

Rory's Dad needs a quiet day, but Rory's got too much energy. He takes off on an adventure by himself and encounters a number of obstacles along the way. He manages to take care of them all by himself - thinking that he doesn't need his Dad.

What he doesn't see, is that Dad is there the whole time. He's secretly helping Rory along the way to get through each obstacle. It's a little bit of helicopter parenting, but it's a goo
Anna
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prek-books
This book was precious. The illustrations and story were so adorable! I love Rory the dinosaur so much! This time Rory goes on an adventure on his own, but the dad comes along and secretly helps Rory along the journey. Rory has no idea, but the illustrations show us how Rory's dad helps Rory. They add a little bit of humor and cuteness. I love this book! I want to read more!

It's an easy book so it's great for little children (as well as adults especially if you or the child loves dinosaurs!).
A Allen
Jan 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
When Rory decided to "run away" or go on an adventure by himself, I cringed. It seems Rory doesn't tell his dad about leaving on the adventure because he "doesn't want to disturb his dad" ... yikes! The entire book seems to be conveying that children can just head off on their own, without telling anyone, and the people who love them will still protect them by following closely and solving their problems instead of doing the work they had intended to finish. Not a book for my collection.
Brona's Books
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm now an official FAN of Rory and his marvellous dad.

My love affair started with the more recent Christmas book, which to my mind, is the best of the three books, but this, the original story, is pretty fabulous too, I'm just not sure I can completely condone such helicopter parenting!

Bizzy's Books
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dinosaurs
Darling story about an independent little dino named Rory. The illustrations were adorable and the story was very sweet and at times silly/funny, too. A lovely story about the wonderful bond between father and son.
Shandra
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, storytime
Super sweet, and great illustrations! I think this would go over great in an early preschool stortyime.
Ashley Adkins
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute and simple book for the young one. I read this with my 8 and 9 year old boys and they both loved that they could connect the story to things they have done with their dad!
Heydi Smith
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-one-on-one
This was a cute book but i was sad that the little one ran away in the first place. I think little readers will have fun finding the dad on each page.

Claire
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Such a cute book. Rory's Dad is right there with him the whole time. Aww.
Kendra
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Parents are the best <3 ...more
Katrina Clohessy
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about little dino going out on an adventure "on his own," but really Dad is following him to make sure he stays safe.
Brett
Depending on which level you read it, this one is *deep*.
Faith Tydings
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
So sweet!!
Michelle
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Cute story about the love of a father and son, and they’re dinosaurs.
Kest Schwartzman
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is sweet beyond words, but I can't help thinking that Rory's dad is gonna start feeling underappreciated if this kinda thing happens a lot
Jennifer B.
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rory is an adorable little dinosaur with a a really awesome dad.
Emily Roberts
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Adorable book about father/son relationship. Cute illustrations!
Sara
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, but given their short arms, how can they live in a treehouse?
Janel Tutak
Just a cute story. Great pictures and positive message. My kids loved it and so did I!
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm obsessed with these books. I love Liz Climo.
Dierric Rogers
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MUST READ!!!
This book is sooo cute. Rory thinks he is going on and adventure: a la running away, by himself, but in fact his dad is close behind to watch over him.
Ruth
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I can hardly handle how adorable this book is. Adorable characters, and a story most parents know by heart.
Jessica
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet story about a dad who helps his son to learn independence while secretly helping him.
« previous 1 3 next »

• You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • Can Somebody Please Scratch My Back?
  • I Need a New Bum!
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • Jack at Bat
  • Dad By My Side
  • Imaginary Fred

Liz Climo grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and moved to Los Angeles after college to work as a character artist on The Simpsons. She started a comic blog, LizClimo.tumblr.com, where Rory and his dad first appeared in 2012. Liz currently lives in Los Angeles with her husband, Colin, and their daughter, Marlow.

Liz Climo is a character artist for The Simpsons TV series and has worked on The Lebr

Rory the Dinosaur (3 books)
  • Rory the Dinosaur Wants a Pet