Start by marking “The Queen of Everything” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Everything

The Queen of Everything

"People ask me all the time what having Vince MacKenzie for a father was like. What they mean is, was he always crazy?" High school junior Jordan MacKenzie's life was pretty typical: fractured family, new boyfriend, dead-end job. She'd been living with her father (the predictable optometrist) since her mother (the hippie holdover) had been too embarrassing to be around. Jo ...more
Published May 25th 2004 by Simon Pulse (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen of Everything

Start your review of The Queen of Everything
Morgan F
I really did love this book. So, to clarify, I would rate it 4.5 stars if I could.

It's about Jordan, an average teenager with divorced parents. She lives with her father, a predictable optometrist because her mother is too eccentric for her tastes. Her summer after her junior year was off to a normal start- a best friend, dumb job, and a new love interest- but then came Gayle D'Angelo. Gayle D'Angelo is her father's new girlfriend.....who happens to be married. But Jordan's father no longer lis
Suzanne
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I just could not put down. Well, ok, I put it down a couple of times but it was for things like eating and sleeping and going to the bathroom, all things us humans (especially the pregnant ones) need to do (a lot).

Anywho, what a page turner! I knew what was going to happen, protagonist Jordan knows what is going to happen, the whole world could see what was going to happen--and you just want to get to the implosion as fast as you can. Best part? Jordan is a very real character an
Cory
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Deb Caletti book I've read. I wasn't impressed. Those that compare her to Sarah Dessen and Elizabeth Scott are mistaken.

One thing I've noticed about Caletti is that she has a tendency to ramble. Rambling isn't a bad thing. In fact, rambling can be a very good thing when used properly. But Caletti has a tendency to ramble about non-essential things that have nothing whatsoever to do with the plot. She'll introduce a minor character with a lot of exposition, then she'll forget
Emily
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I first read this in the 7th grade, and I remember loving it. I frequently read it while walking to school and ended up walking into parked cars all the damn time.

Reread it as an almost-21 year old. My god was it infuriating. One, the fat jokes and incessant talking about 'sweaty, thick fingered, rolly-polly' girls where Jordan works is not only rude, it's incredibly insulting. Two, hot damn Caletti rambles on and on. I frankly don't care about that one time Jordan did blahblahblah when she was
Valarie
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was the 4th Deb Caletti book I have read. I found 'The Fortunes of Indigo Skye' at the library and was quickly hooked on Caletti as a writer.

The Queen of Everything is not Caletti's best. It is one of her earliest books, and the others I have read are much better. Caletti definitely has a gift for explanation and description. However, it is a little overkill in The Queen of Everything.

Caletti's style seems to be that she begins very slowly and then rushes through the end. In other stories,
..Fifi...
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book had a great starting...it was very discriptive...but sometimes alittle too discriptive that she gets off point...I had to skim through some parts because they were so not important...also, the whole book was about build up of the ending which like the last chapter which kinda sucked...like she made it all lead up to a boring ending...the ending could have been much much better...all in all...the book was ok, not great...I give it a 2.5 or so...
Christina
Mar 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
Honestly don't understand the point of this story. There isn't a likeable or character to relate to.
Rema
Jun 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: total-miss
I'm so glad I finally finished it. This is the second Deb Caletti book I read and already I have the feeling that her books are a hit or miss kind. And this, this was a huge miss.

The way Deb Caletti writes is unique. It's all over the place. Details seem out of place and sometimes serve no purpose at all. I was reading a sneak peak of Honey Baby Sweetheart and it reminded me of how she jumps from one thing to another. It's exactly what happened in The Queen of Everything. The story does not flo
laaaaames
Dec 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Deb Caletti writes lovely prose, and captures so much really spot-on emotion in this book. I really enjoy YA books dealing with parents, for some reason, so this book was incredibly readable.

I am a bit worried that now I've read two of Caletti's books that featured the same sort of "bad boy" with similar reactions by the protagonists, but I was at least relieved in this book that a bad decision re: sex wasn't grounds for punishment.
Danielle
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the second Deb Caletti book I have read and while it was better than the first, I still don't like her writing as much as Sarah Dessen's. I'm really trying to like Deb Caletti because I saw her in person and she was lovely, but I think I just compare her too much to Dessen. Overall, this book had an interesting plot and and the main character was pretty likeable. This is probably a good book to recommend to a young teen girl.
Erin
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
To be perfectly honest, I remember picking this book up from the YA section at the library, and even opening its pages to read it, but I cannot recall how it goes. I know I liked it, but I cannot decide if it was so insignificant that it didn't leave an impression on my brain or if I just read so many books in middle school that it's impossible to remember them all. Probably the latter, but it still makes me wonder...
Bloody Yank
May 11, 2008 rated it liked it
This was good..It got kind of graphic in some parts, but it wasn't bad. It was a tad bit slow getting into the story, but once it gets there it's quite interesting. Read it. (:
Hannah
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I would highly recommend actual young adult, particularly teenagers do not read this book. Jordan is the absolute archetype of what young women shouldn't be: Unnecessarily cruel without knowing it, selfish while touting her selflessness, and stupid and reckless. This isn't necessarily a bad thing in YA literature, unless the character fails to recognise their weakness and make steps towards growth or resolution.

Even by the last pages, Jordan had absolutely failed to identify any of her weakness
Summer
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is told entirely from Jordan’s point of view looking back as her father falls obsessively in love with a married woman and the toll it takes on Jordan.

I would have preferred to not have such a strong sense of what happened upfront and instead be more surprised along the way as it played out, I feel like the emotional impact would have been so much greater had I not known to expect certain things.

I don’t know that I ever truly liked Jordan, the fat shaming from her friend and Jordan’s
Nancy Brady
A YA novel featuring Jordan McKenzie, a seventeen-year-old teen, she is living a normal teenage life. Suddenly, her life is suddenly off the rails, she tells it from her perspective.

Her father is the stable one until he isn't. Her mother is the hippie. Her new boyfriend, well? Who can say? Can Jordan deal with all the changes she sees happening around her?

Loved the character of Big Mama as well as Jackson Beene. Kale was plenty obnoxious.

Could not reconcile the title to the book, but kept hoping
DaNae
Allison Sanderson
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I especially enjoyed reading this book because of the unique and humorous voice the protagonist, Jordan has. She tells her story in her way, with her own way of seeing and saying things. You don't just read Jordan's story, you see it through her eyes. The actual plot is a decent one, but the voice is the unique aspect that brings this story to the next level.
Eva Pimentel
Aug 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had the worst time reading it, the book was incomplete... they repeated like 50 pages so there was no follow up. I liked the story at first but then it brought me difficulty to keep reading it with interest. Very descriptive; I liked that. But the story bye.
Jacqueline C.
Apr 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
The writer is a very bitter woman who feels she was mis-parented because her parents said the same things that all parents in the 50-60’s said! I had a hard time getting over the “poor me, pour me another drink “ mentality. BTW, I am 14 years sober myself.
Liz Koehler
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I love Deb Calletti, and I’ve never read this book, so I was excited to add this to the list of books by her that I love. It was sincerely so dull and the characters frustrated me beyond belief. Her other books are definitely much better.
Sareena
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was the absolute worst. If I never have to read about another salmon again it will be too soon. It probably could have been redeemed if the other hadn't constantly gone off on tangents about fish and periods and fat girls.
Kaytee Marie Walker
Apr 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book was so superficial and the characters had no depth to them. I hated every page and was disappointing because I used to like this author.
Sophie Chritton
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading The Queen of Everything by Deb Caletti has taught me many things, and among them I've learned a message: sometimes all you need is an adventure. Through the eyes of Jordan Mackenzie, I've also learned what it's like to lose someone, be lost, and find your way again. This exciting yet sometimes slow book has so many intricate parts that come together and answer all the questions and thoughts the author has left the reader with by the end. Reading thris novel was a great reading journey a ...more
Inge (Inge1990)
I have troubles to review this book. Mostly because I'm not completly sure how I feel about it.
It isn't a bad book. But in the same time, it didn't catch me.
So this book is about Jordan and her family. Something really bads happen and you read the period before her dads snaps.

The writing itself is really good, however, nothing really noticable happens. I wanted to keep on reading to see if it still would happen (which is really good) but in the end, I felt a bit empty and disappointent that wha
Brittany
Jordan found her hippie mother to be a bit too "out there" so she decides she should live with her father. He's an optometrist, and very level-headed. At least, he used to be. Lately he's been acting a bit strange and Jordan thinks she knows the cause...Gayle D'Angelo. She's a married woman and her dad is in love. Jordan knows there's not a lot she can do about it since he is an adult, but she can tell that this is wrong. Besides that, Jordan is living a typical teenage life. She has an accident ...more
Angelica Porteria
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Caletti’s purpose in writing her book, the Queen of Everything, is to let the audience know everyone deals with a struggle in their life. Jordan, the main character, happens to deal with a lot. It’s enough that random strangers ask Jordan “How is it like to have Vince MacKenzie as a father?” (pg 1) but she also has to deal with her father seeing other women. This book tells the audience that everyone deals with a problem in their life and we can’t give up. It has a lasting value because it influ ...more
Holly
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whoa! This was a hopping book. So many levels of characters. I'm finding a pattern in Caletti's books where her main characters originally have horrible "boyfriends" that they use in some way to better themselves.
Ellie
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Deb Caletti's "The Queen of Everything" intrigued me from the very start. I can honestly say that it turned out to be one of my favorite novels, and succeeded my every expectation. "The Queen of Everything" is narrated by a teenage girl, Jordan, who appears to be living the epitome of regular 21st century life. Her parents are divorced, though her dad seems to be the more normal of the two. When Jordan discovers that her seemingly-sane father is having an affair with a woman he knows is married, ...more
Tin
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2012
The book is a re-telling of the summer Jordan's life changed.

It was a little hard to follow at first, with all the flashbacks here and there, and the long narratives that take quite a while to get to the point. The Queen of Everything has a slow buildup, very slow if i say so myself, that it's no wonder it took me almost a week to finish it. You just don't get hooked quite easily.

But i guess the long narratives meant to serve well. It built the foundation of the summer where Jordan's seemingly n
Melissa
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Jordan MacKenzie thought her life had finally turned around. After many years with her strange, hippie mom, she chose to move in with her seemingly normal optometrist father, and now the school 'bad boy,' (the most popular guy) Kale Kramer, has been paying attention to her. Jordan even has an ordinary job working at a women's weight loss studio with her friend Melissa.

But then everything starts to go horribly wrong. Jordan's father begins to date Gayle, who is married. When the affair becomes a
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mike Peet 1 5 Feb 22, 2012 03:38AM

• SAMPLER ONLY: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • The Fall of Crazy House (Crazy House, #2)
  • The Witches of BlackBrook (Witches of BlackBrook #1)
  • City of Bones: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Where the Lost Wander
  • Crazy House (Crazy House, #1)
  • Harry Potter Boxed Set, Books 1-5 (Harry Potter, #1-5)
  • The Girls
  • Grand Union: Stories
  • Rage Against the Minivan: Learning to Parent Without Perfection
  • Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food
  • Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, Russia, 1914
Deb Caletti is the award-winning and critically acclaimed author of over sixteen books for adults and young adults, including Honey, Baby, Sweetheart, a finalist for the National Book Award, and A Heart in a Body in the World, a Michael L. Printz Honor Book. Her books have also won the Josette Frank Award for Fiction, the Washington State Book Award, and numerous other state awards and honors, and ...more

News & Interviews

“It's good to let God pick a man for you. We don't do so well when we pick them ourselves. They end up lipsticks in a drawer, all those wrong colors you thought looked so good in the package.” 257 likes
“It can be exhausting eating a meal cooked by a man. With a woman, it's, Ho hum, pass the beans. A guy, you have to act like he just built the Taj Mahal.” 67 likes