Start by marking “Corduroy” as Want to Read:
Corduroy

Corduroy

(Corduroy)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  176,737 ratings  ·  2,378 reviews
Have you ever dreamed of being locked in a department store at night? The endearing story of Corduroy paints a picture of the adventures that might unfold (for a teddy bear at least) in such a situation. When all the shoppers have gone home for the night, Corduroy climbs down from the shelf to look for his missing button. It's a brave new world! He accidentally gets on an ...more
Published March 11th 1968 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Corduroy, please sign up.

·  176,737 ratings  ·  2,378 reviews

Miranda Reads
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description

Corduroy is a bear who once lived in the toy department of a big store.
Corduroy is a sweet little stuffed animal ready to move to his forever home.
Day after day he waited with all the other animals and dolls for someone to take him home.
But it seems like he will never leave his little shelf.

One day a little girl spots him and asks her mother.
"Not today, dear." Her mother sighed. "I've spent too much already. Besides, he doesn't look new. He lost the button to one of his shoulder strap
Alex
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Corduroy, the world's sweetest felon, is the star of two books about breaking and entering. In his debut here, he rambles Mixed-Up Filesianly through a department store at night, breaking shit.

corduroy
dude let's trash this place

In the sequel, Cor2roy, he hides out in a laundromat after a confusing encounter with a beret-wearing artist who talks like a hillbilly. Once again he leaves the place trashed.

skiing
something something watch the world burn

He's caught both times - the first time by a cop, the second tim
Brian Yahn
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Corduory is the tried-and-true story of an outcast toy in search of an owner/happiness. As a sort of allegory for that, he's also missing a button. And at the end he finds them both.

It's well written, well illustrated, but the only adventure Corduroy goes on is up an escalator in a mall--not exactly the most exciting thing. On top of that, it doesn't really have any surprises or twists or ups-and-downs. The Velveteen Rabbit just seems like a much better version of the same story.
Sean Gibson
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not entirely sure why, but when reading this book aloud, I'm always compelled to give Corduroy a (very bad) British accent. I think I mix him up with Paddington in my head. But [SPOILER ALERT], there's no marmalade in this book. Lots of hullabaloo about buttons, though.
Andre Gonzalez
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this as a child and now enjoy reading it to my little girl!
Hilary
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those looking for a happy bedtime story
Recommended to Hilary by: Abigail
A lovely simple story about a little girl who sees a bear in a department store that she wants but he is missing a button. The bear tries to find a button and the little girl counts the money in her piggy bank to see if she has enough.

Read on open library
Rottgrl88
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-classics

What a nice story about a teddy bear trying to get "adopted" from a department store. But when a little girl admires him in the store and her parent discourages the "adoption" due to the bear's missing button; Corduroy searches the store for it. While I don't fully agree with the message that a child can't have a toy based on a minor imperfection (especially if it is something so easily fixable), I still found this to be enjoyable and the illustrations were adorable. I would recommend this book
Kathryn
Corduroy was one of my childhood favorites and I still love it! I am struggling to write an adequate review, and since I am pressed for time I will just say for now that I love everything about it! I feel all the emotions are conveyed so well, from Corduroy's loneliness to the girl's sense of finding a "kindred spirit" in the bear, to Corduroy's wish to find the button to make himself more appealing, to his glorious adventure (oh, how I loved that escalator "mountain" and the many fabulous mattr ...more
Donalda Donni
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every little Black girl
Recommended to Donalda by: Grandma
This is my second favorite book ever. It was the first book I ever read that had a lead character that looked like me. (And no, I don't mean the bear.) The little Black girl, (Penny, I think?) was well groomed and cared for, and SO nice.
People out there who've always had characters in books and magazines who look like them won't 'get it'. The significance will be lost on them I fear. But it's instances like that that help establish a child's self-esteem and community worth.
Besides, it was a s
Jason
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids
Recommended to Jason by: Mama
Why five stars? Because I can, and if you don't like it, I'll see to it that you have a nipple ripped off, and that there's no little girl around to sew it back on you! This book was awesome when I was a kid, and it still is. However, the escalator scared me because I always thought it was going to eat Corduroy. See, even as a child I was fucked up in the head; a great big ball of fear, ha ha. The security guard was a little scary too. Plus, he's a little bear all alone in the mall after closing ...more
Rossy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I think I've found a new favorite book.
What is this stuff falling from my eyes? YES, I'M CRYING.
My heart breaks and melts for stuffed animals and dolls, "You must be a friend". <3 <3 <3
Corduroy, the cutest teddy bear, and a lonely one too, meets a little girl who will be her friend, and it was love at first sight.
TEARS <3

pd: My heart can't take this.
Leah Craig
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Got to read one of my old favorites to the kids at work today :)
Whole And
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I’ve fallen in love with Corduroy. Just like Lisa, the little girl in Don Freeman’s children’s book, who buys Corduroy from the toy department with her piggy bank savings.

Corduroy sadly believes that his missing button is why he’s still on the shelf instead of at home with the little girl so he goes on a search to find his button.

Lisa reappears and buys Corduroy anyway, loving him whole, despite his missing button. Once at home with Lisa, she sews a new button for Corduroy but says “I like you t
Nevena
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I accidentally ran into this book on the goodreads homepage and it brought the tears of joy to my eyes!

This was probably my favorite picture book when I was a child! Since it's in English, my mother had to read it to me because I didn't learn English until I was 10. It had the most beautiful pictures ever, and the story was so beautiful.

During the recent house cleaning I re-discovered this book again, and I read it on my own, probably for the first time in my whole life! I have put it safe and s
Cindi
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A classic sweet tale of a little bear that finds a home in a little girl's heart.
Sanja_Sanjalica
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice, warm and fun.
Candice
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mother raised me on Corduroy and now I am continuing tradition with my little one. This book will absolutely always have a special place in my heart.
Asha
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I love this cute little book about a bear in green corduroy overalls. It is definitely on my list of books to get for my own child (if I have one). I'd also want to get a Corduroy bear, too.

Abigail
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Loves Picture-Books and/or Teddy Bears
Originally published in 1968, this adorable picture-book was one of the reading staples of my early childhood, so I was simply delighted when it was chosen as one of our December selections, over in The Picture-Book Club to which I belong, where our theme for the month is "toys." This gave me the opportunity to revisit an old favorite, which I greatly enjoyed! The story of a teddy bear who longs for a home, and the little girl who falls in love with him on first sight, Corduroy follows its epony ...more
Theresa Marsala
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another classic children's story that I have never read before. It was originally published in 1968 & to me it has undertones that reflect that time in our history with such great honesty & simplicity. Even though there is a cute little adventure that Corduroy goes on through the dept. store I feel that the main story is Lisa the little girl who sees him & loves him the way he is, so much so that she counts her money to go back and buy him. She takes him home to love & care for b ...more
Crystal Marcos
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Corduroy has an wholesome, old time feel to it. My toddler daughter and I enjoyed reading this together. I liked seeing things happening through Corduroy's eyes. I was rooting for the little guy to find a home and for someone to look past the fact that he wasn't in perfectly new shape. If we owned this one, I could see my daughter requesting it over and over.

This was a Children's Picture Book Club read for the month of December:
Pablo V
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Natasha
Feb 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
I dont usually review my son's books but this one in particular really knaws at me for some reason. It has consistently been in the Must Read book list for children since its publication in late 1960s.

Although they say the book is about a teddy bear having an adventure and finding a home but when reading the book it seemed to me that the whole theme revolved around consumerism. The little teddy in green overalls lives at a department store waiting for someone to buy him. A little girl once stops
Benjamingibbs
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not convinced that Corduroy really should find his lost button in the first place. Sends message that he is not worth buying unless someone fixes his button problem. Overall, disturbing and unamerican.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read at Storytime on June 13th
Theme: Classic Stories

This was the first pick for Storytime to begin our reading. The kids love Corduroy and his adventure to find his missing button. There might have been some sighs of happiness at the end when he finds a home with Lisa.
Stacy
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Corduroy bear is on the search for a missing button that has come off his clothes. He finds one that he thinks is it, but it is attached to a mattress where he lives in the department store. He has always wanted to live in a home, and in the end gets his wish.
Corinna
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
How cute was Coduroy? His wittle buttons...
Gillian Brownlee
One of my all time favorites as a kid. Also one of the reasons I can't get rid of stuffed animals, but I also blame Toy Story for that.
Matthew
To check out my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

I remember seeing the cover of this book and I thought I had read it and seen the movie but I mistaken it for The Tangerine Bear which is practically the same story of a toy bear who was abandoned because no one wanted to buy it. I've been cleaning up my Goodreads read pile because I have a ton of books that either I read it and don't remember it or I only read 50% of it and DNF the rest because it was school requirement.

Reading now th
Malina Skrobosinski
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book as a very young child. I bet I carried this book EVERYWHERE!!! Such a classic!

• The Little Engine That Could
  • The Mitten
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • Strega Nona (Strega Nona, #1)
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing!
  • Bread and Jam for Frances
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
  • Blueberries for Sal
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Harry the Dirty Dog
  • Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
  • Angus and the Ducks
  • Freight Train
  • Curious George
  • The Napping House
  • Frédéric
Don Freeman was a painter, printmaker, cartoonist, children's book author, and illustrator. He was born in San Diego, California, attended high school in Missouri, and later moved to New York City where he studied etching with John Sloan.
Frequent subjects included Broadway theatre, politics, and the circus. He was also a jazz musician, and the brother of circus entrepreneur Randy Freeman.

Corduroy (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • A Pocket for Corduroy
  • All About Corduroy
  • Corduroy's Christmas
  • Corduroy's Easter Party
  • Corduroy Goes to the Doctor
  • Corduroy's Busy Street (Corduroy)
  • Corduroy's Fourth of July
  • Corduroy's Trick or Treat
  • Corduroy at the Zoo
  • Corduroy Goes to School: A Lift-the-Flap Book (Corduroy)