Start by marking “Corduroy” as Want to Read:
Corduroy

Corduroy

(Corduroy)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  169,946 ratings  ·  2,243 reviews
Have you ever dreamed of being locked in a department store at night? The endearing story of Corduroy paints a picture of the adventures that might unfold (for a teddy bear at least) in such a situation. When all the shoppers have gone home for the night, Corduroy climbs down from the shelf to look for his missing button. It's a brave new world! He accidentally gets on an ...more
Published March 11th 1968 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Corduroy, please sign up.

Brian Yahn
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Corduory is the tried-and-true story of an outcast toy in search of an owner/happiness. As a sort of allegory for that, he's also missing a button. And at the end he finds them both.

It's well written, well illustrated, but the only adventure Corduroy goes on is up an escalator in a mall--not exactly the most exciting thing. On top of that, it doesn't really have any surprises or twists or ups-and-downs. The Velveteen Rabbit just seems like a much better version of the same story.
Sean Gibson
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not entirely sure why, but when reading this book aloud, I'm always compelled to give Corduroy a (very bad) British accent. I think I mix him up with Paddington in my head. But [SPOILER ALERT], there's no marmalade in this book. Lots of hullabaloo about buttons, though.
Andre Gonzalez
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this as a child and now enjoy reading it to my little girl!
Donalda Donni
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every little Black girl
Recommended to Donalda by: Grandma
This is my second favorite book ever. It was the first book I ever read that had a lead character that looked like me. (And no, I don't mean the bear.) The little Black girl, (Penny, I think?) was well groomed and cared for, and SO nice.
People out there who've always had characters in books and magazines who look like them won't 'get it'. The significance will be lost on them I fear. But it's instances like that that help establish a child's self-esteem and community worth.
Besides, it was a s
Kathryn
Corduroy was one of my childhood favorites and I still love it! I am struggling to write an adequate review, and since I am pressed for time I will just say for now that I love everything about it! I feel all the emotions are conveyed so well, from Corduroy's loneliness to the girl's sense of finding a "kindred spirit" in the bear, to Corduroy's wish to find the button to make himself more appealing, to his glorious adventure (oh, how I loved that escalator "mountain" and the many fabulous mattr ...more
Leah Craig
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Got to read one of my old favorites to the kids at work today :)
Jason
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids
Recommended to Jason by: Mama
Why five stars? Because I can, and if you don't like it, I'll see to it that you have a nipple ripped off, and that there's no little girl around to sew it back on you! This book was awesome when I was a kid, and it still is. However, the escalator scared me because I always thought it was going to eat Corduroy. See, even as a child I was fucked up in the head; a great big ball of fear, ha ha. The security guard was a little scary too. Plus, he's a little bear all alone in the mall after closing ...more
Rossy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I think I've found a new favorite book.
What is this stuff falling from my eyes? YES, I'M CRYING.
My heart breaks and melts for stuffed animals and dolls, "You must be a friend". <3 <3 <3
Corduroy, the cutest teddy bear, and a lonely one too, meets a little girl who will be her friend, and it was love at first sight.
TEARS <3

pd: My heart can't take this.
Nevena
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I accidentally ran into this book on the goodreads homepage and it brought the tears of joy to my eyes!

This was probably my favorite picture book when I was a child! Since it's in English, my mother had to read it to me because I didn't learn English until I was 10. It had the most beautiful pictures ever, and the story was so beautiful.

During the recent house cleaning I re-discovered this book again, and I read it on my own, probably for the first time in my whole life! I have put it safe and s
Sanja_Sanjalica
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice, warm and fun.
Cindi
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A classic sweet tale of a little bear that finds a home in a little girl's heart.
Whole And
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I’ve fallen in love with Corduroy. Just like Lisa, the little girl in Don Freeman’s children’s book, who buys Corduroy from the toy department with her piggy bank savings.

Corduroy sadly believes that his missing button is why he’s still on the shelf instead of at home with the little girl so he goes on a search to find his button.

Lisa reappears and buys Corduroy anyway, loving him whole, despite his missing button. Once at home with Lisa, she sews a new button for Corduroy but says “I like you t
Asha
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I love this cute little book about a bear in green corduroy overalls. It is definitely on my list of books to get for my own child (if I have one). I'd also want to get a Corduroy bear, too.

Theresa Marsala
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another classic children's story that I have never read before. It was originally published in 1968 & to me it has undertones that reflect that time in our history with such great honesty & simplicity. Even though there is a cute little adventure that Corduroy goes on through the dept. store I feel that the main story is Lisa the little girl who sees him & loves him the way he is, so much so that she counts her money to go back and buy him. She takes him home to love & care for b ...more
Crystal Marcos
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Corduroy has an wholesome, old time feel to it. My toddler daughter and I enjoyed reading this together. I liked seeing things happening through Corduroy's eyes. I was rooting for the little guy to find a home and for someone to look past the fact that he wasn't in perfectly new shape. If we owned this one, I could see my daughter requesting it over and over.

This was a Children's Picture Book Club read for the month of December:
Candice
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mother raised me on Corduroy and now I am continuing tradition with my little one. This book will absolutely always have a special place in my heart.
Stacy
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Corduroy bear is on the search for a missing button that has come off his clothes. He finds one that he thinks is it, but it is attached to a mattress where he lives in the department store. He has always wanted to live in a home, and in the end gets his wish.
Gillian Brownlee
One of my all time favorites as a kid. Also one of the reasons I can't get rid of stuffed animals, but I also blame Toy Story for that.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read at Storytime on June 13th
Theme: Classic Stories

This was the first pick for Storytime to begin our reading. The kids love Corduroy and his adventure to find his missing button. There might have been some sighs of happiness at the end when he finds a home with Lisa.
Matthew
To check out my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

I remember seeing the cover of this book and I thought I had read it and seen the movie but I mistaken it for The Tangerine Bear which is practically the same story of a toy bear who was abandoned because no one wanted to buy it. I've been cleaning up my Goodreads read pile because I have a ton of books that either I read it and don't remember it or I only read 50% of it and DNF the rest because it was school requirement.

Reading now th
Malina Skrobosinski
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book as a very young child. I bet I carried this book EVERYWHERE!!! Such a classic!
Natasha
Feb 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
I dont usually review my son's books but this one in particular really knaws at me for some reason. It has consistently been in the Must Read book list for children since its publication in late 1960s.

Although they say the book is about a teddy bear having an adventure and finding a home but when reading the book it seemed to me that the whole theme revolved around consumerism. The little teddy in green overalls lives at a department store waiting for someone to buy him. A little girl once stops
Sherry Dale Rogers
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
A memory forgotten is what comes to mind with Corduroy. As a child I read this book and fell in love. "It couldn't be because I had 50 stuffed animals or more."

Corduroy was published in 1968 by Viking Press. On October 2, 2008 parents and teachers across the globe read Corduroy in unison as part of the Jumpstart program. Jumpstart is a nonprofit national organization aimed at helping prepare preschool children to succeed in primary education.

One busy day at the department store children are play
midnightfaerie
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Having several Corduroy books, I was curious to read this one, seeing as how it's the one that shows Corduroy's beginnings. Nothing unique or original about this story, it falls between a level 1 and level 2 reading level for children. Nothing about it really held the attention of my kids, and so we weren't impressed. The illustrations were probably its only redeeming quality and even those didn't stand out too much.
Benjamingibbs
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not convinced that Corduroy really should find his lost button in the first place. Sends message that he is not worth buying unless someone fixes his button problem. Overall, disturbing and unamerican.
Martin
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You must be a friend...
Valerie (Howler_Puff)
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read In February

I loved reading this to my son. He enjoyed it as well. Such a classic, love it!

Kellene
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My reading challenge included the category "a book from your past that always makes you smile" and I knew immediately what I was going to read. I read this book to my brothers when they were small and continued the tradition with my children when they came along. It is one of my all time favorite books, and today, on my brother's 40th birthday, it brings a smile to my face (and maybe a tear) and some wonderful memories. Definitely one to share with the little ones in your life, and the Corduroy ...more
Darcy
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-h-books
Mom recently got me some new literary onesies and one of them has Corduroy on it. She said we had to read the book so if one of my colleagues at daycare asked me about it I would be prepared to discuss. I thought it was wonderful!
Cynthia Austin
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still one of my favorite childhood stories.
  • Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
  • Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
  • Harry the Dirty Dog
  • Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3)
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room
  • The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash
  • Library Lion
  • Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
  • Bread and Jam for Frances
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1)
  • The Snowy Day
  • The Mixed-Up Chameleon
  • The Saggy Baggy Elephant
  • Madeline
  • Blueberries for Sal
Don Freeman was a painter, printmaker, cartoonist, children's book author, and illustrator. He was born in San Diego, California, attended high school in Missouri, and later moved to New York City where he studied etching with John Sloan.
Frequent subjects included Broadway theatre, politics, and the circus. He was also a jazz musician, and the brother of circus entrepreneur Randy Freeman.

Corduroy (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • A Pocket for Corduroy
  • All About Corduroy
  • Corduroy's Christmas
  • Corduroy's Easter Party
  • Corduroy Goes to the Doctor
  • Corduroy's Busy Street (Corduroy)
  • Corduroy's Fourth of July
  • Corduroy's Trick or Treat
  • Corduroy at the Zoo
  • Corduroy Goes to School: A Lift-the-Flap Book (Corduroy)