Start by marking “On Becoming Fearless” as Want to Read:
On Becoming Fearless

On Becoming Fearless

Observing that her own teenage daughters were beginning to experience some of the same fears that had once burdened her--how attractive am I? do people like me? do I dare speak up?--Arianna Huffington began to examine the ways in which fear affects all our lives. In stories drawn from her own experiences and from the lives of other women, she points toward the moments of e ...more
Published April 9th 2007 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2006)

Adele
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this woman.

While I could go without the vignettes from Diane Keaton, I trust Ms. Huffington's take on the world. I mean, she started a blog when she was 52, without the aid of trendy black rimmed glasses and an unhealthy preoccupation with pop culture.

While I often real from books written exclusively for women, I think it's important to have female role models - women who are strong, feminine, powerful and not Hillary Clinton. Women are still struggling to find a voice - if we ignore th
Jillian
Huffington has always interested me. Like her, I'm a former republican who became a progressive populist. This book isn't ground-breaking, but there are helpful lessons to be found.

I liked Huffington's child raising ideas. She believes that "it takes a village to raise a child," and Americans should involve the entire family and neighborhood, in child raising. She also advocates volunteerism to move children past their fear of unpopularity, to a desire to become useful in society.

Other sections
Cathy Allen
Having recently waxed enthusiastic about Sheryl Sandberg's book, Lean In, it seems only right that I should give a bit of a shout out to Arianna Huffington, who struck a very similar cord with this one in 2006. While Sandberg's theme is a bit broader, speaking to a variety of internal and external factors that hold women back, On Becoming Fearless focuses on one of the biggest contributors: fear. We women don't put ourselves forward (don't "lean in") as often as we might because of our fears. Hu ...more
Paige
Sep 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Only made it halfway through the audiobook version. The half I listened to seemed like a collection of thoughts and opinions that were neither original nor thought-provoking. Many references and anecdotes scattered throughout but the only thing that seemed to loosely glue it all together was the frequent repetition of the word "fearless".
Challis
Apr 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: instructional
So far, not too impressed. Seems like a self-justifying excuse to feel good about things you aren't proud of and maybe shouldn't be. I disagree with a lot of her principles and philosophies and so far haven't learned anything about becoming fearless, but rather why she has justified certain decisions in her life and called them good.
Focuses on the obvious, like get enough sleep, exercise,drink water. And also some confusing contradictions the feminists have created for us like be a good person
Renee
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Oh Arianna...a lot is said with this book that has been said before, and in my opinion, with more depth and less tendency to the cheesy group therapy feel. If I had read this without having previously waded through more than a few self-help books, articles on "living well" in feminist magazines, and a college course in Women's Studies, I might have a more favorable review. As it is...

Well, there is preaching to the choir, and then there is putting the choir to sleep.

However, if you (the plural
Patricia
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I had to work to get through this book. What I found was a collection of contradicting thoughts and vignettes from Huffington's life. She comes across being self-congratulatory and unapologetic for taking strong and vitriolic stands and seems almost proud of the relationships that she has lost as a result of her strident and public views. Yet, the final chapter, Fearless in Changing the World, has a message of using your inner power to overcome fear to change the world. It is all about being par ...more
Sara
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to this book while commuting. I enjoyed parts of it and thought that she had some good point. However, a lot of it was "fluff" so it wasn't as instructive as I was hoping. But it was a quick read/listen. I admire the author and enjoyed her insights.
Elizabeth
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
A well-principled book about women mastering their fears. Lots of references but the one I liked best was from Louann Brizendine's The Female brain -- in midlife due to changes in hormone levels and brain chemistry, women start to care less about others' opinions and more about what matters to them. During childbearing years, a woman's brain is programmed with a delicate interplay of hormones, physical touch, emotions and brain chemistry to care for, fix and otherwise help those around her ... A ...more
Amy
Oct 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Don't get me wrong, I think Huffington's writing is concise and emotional, but she tried to give too many "how-to's" that I found kind of useless. My personal preference would have been for her to have more stories about her mother, and more testimonies from all kinds of women, not just famous ones.
However, I'd recommend this book to women looking for some words of encouragement in following their life's dreams! It was really well written and put together, and actually, gave me what I was at f
Jennifer Pawling
Jun 16, 2007 rated it did not like it
Nothing new in this book. I thought it would be empowering, but it was more yada yada yada... don't waste your time.
Jill
Mar 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: x2015, audio, memoir
I couldn't finish it. I've read cliches before.
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women
Shelves: 2010
Love the writing style and composition, full of helpful/ inspirational anecdotes and tidbits.

Books recommended in this book:
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent G
Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book! I wish it would have been written when I was 18 and someone would have forced me to read it.

Huffington, a well-educated and articulate women writes about her fears and obstacles throughout her life thus far. Most importantly, she tells us why we showed push forward through these fears to become strong women who are the best they can be in love, work and our owns lives.

A book I will buy for my library. It will be read regularly.
Klaudia
Jul 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Agreed on that she is very smart lady but her book wasn’t well structured nor was it original but maybe because I am reading it in 2018. Overall the book sounded too political for me which is something I do not enjoy but I appreciate her writing the book and I am sure it has helped many.
K
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Some good quotes in here on business. But, didn't agree with everything she wrote about personal relationships etc. Didn't finish it in the end.
Deb Frost
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every woman.
Lara
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this for a book club!
__

"What I learned ... is that we are not on this earth to accumulate victories, things, and experiences, but to be whittled and sandpapered until what's left is who we truly are."

"When there are dead ends there are also U-turns, and if we don't panic, bridges can appear - we just need to trust that there is a way. And there is always a way. That knowledge is a gift of fearlessness..."

"...If we think the relationship is worth it, we have to push through our fear and
Jessica
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Neither loved nor hated this. A favorite high school teacher gifted me this book when I visited her a couple years ago during a stressful time in my new job, but clearly I was too afraid (ha!) to read it until now. Started it on the plane home from my company team meeting, and read 50 pages in one sitting, a rarity these days!

My main issue with the premise of the book was serious flashbacks to the patronizing “fear vs. love” lifeline scene from Donnie Darko – “You can’t just lump things into two
Rene
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Arianna Huffington is a great example of how a woman neither beautiful, nor talented gets popular and powerful. And the secret is - when more talented and more beautiful women are tortured by their fears, she just moves forward.
She found her harmony in this perpetuum mobile: weak politician? bad writer? don't worry, just push forward and they will understand.
The book contains a mix of her reminiscences, education, experiences (sleep deprivation, please, not again 😳😬), rather weak voices of othe
Angelina
Brian Taylor
This is definitely a book designed to encourage women to find their fearless self in love, work and life. Whether it delivers on this might take a woman to read it. My own perspective finds it lacking since it doesn't present a biblical perspective of fearless living. I desire more hope for my wife and daughters, and all women in general. The first section of this book does present some information that is intriguing, but after that it does not sustain a sense of hope! I would be interested to k ...more
nic 	(つ . •́ _ʖ •̀ .)つ
It was somewhat inspiring - but forgetful, with not many new ideas raised. I didn’t agree with everything she said, such as the way she tended to frame a dichotomy between being assertive and feminine; her anecdotes about being assertive also came across as her being ruder than she needed to be. Some parts of the book were ehh... slightly repetitive. Overall, it's a fine read, but nothing spectacular!

🌹 date finished: 1 jan 2019 🌹
Abrita
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
While she offers numerous pieces of good advice and I really do appreciate the main message of the book....it felt like a collection of sometimes disjoint thoughts rather a continuous thread of explanation.
Eryn
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great read, especially for someone like me who is very timid and fearful in a lot of areas of life. There were a lot of insightful and inspiring passages. This is going to be a book I revisit from time to time when I need a refresher on how to live my best life.
Katharine
Really 3.5 stars; too much political drama, yet that's what fills our world, so can it really be a criticism? It took me quite a while to read; however, many non-fiction books do since they are out of my comfort zone, for the most part.
Sheila
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Written in 2006 before Obama, before Hillary’s race for presidency and before #metoo, this is a fairly inspiring book, despite it’s age, for those who need a little nudge when they plan to change their lives and seek for more out of their work and community.
HaleyC
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just one of her books, will sell you on the rest.
Edouard Reinach
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I may not be the target audience. The book did not resonate with me.
Lauren
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
The stories and quotes were entertaining and insightful. However, I felt it could've been slightly shorter. Some chapters seemed dragged out with examples. Overall, a warming and empowering book.

• Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • Handcrafted: A Woodworker's Story
  • Lost and Found: Unexpected Revelations about Food and Money
  • Good Girls Don't Get Fat: How Weight Obsession Is Messing Up Our Girls and How We Can Help Them Thrive Despite It
  • Creating True Prosperity
  • Midlife Crisis at 30
  • Inside My Heart: Choosing to Live with Passion and Purpose
  • The Body Sacred
  • The Other 90%: How to Unlock Your Vast Untapped Potential for Leadership and Life
  • The Mindful Woman: Gentle Practices for Restoring Calm, Finding Balance, and Opening Your Heart
  • The Purpose Economy, How Your Desire for Impact, Personal Growth and Community is Changing the World
  • Secrets of the Monarch: What the Dead Can Teach Us About Living a Better Life
  • Women Have All the Power...Too Bad They Don't Know It: Secrets Every Man's Daughter Should Know
  • What We Wish We'd Known When We Were Newlyweds
  • The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It
  • Soul Vows: Gathering the Presence of the Divine in You, Through You, and As You
  • The Disease to Please: Curing the People-Pleasing Syndrome
  • What Matters Now
Arianna Huffington is the chair, president, and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post Media Group, a nationally syndicated columnist, and author of fourteen books.

In May 2005, she launched The Huffington Post, a news and blog site that quickly became one of the most widely-read, linked to, and frequently-cited media brands on the Internet. In 2012, the site won a Pulitzer Prize for national repor
“If you look at the best research on parenting, it comes down to one thing and one thing only. Not what you teach your children or how much time you spend with them, or if you read to them or not. What it comes down to is who you are, because we teach who we are. You read, your child will read. You watch too much TV, your child will. You do service in the world, your child will do service in the world. So the best way to get past all the worries is to be the best you that you can be. And forgive yourself when you are not. And not to hold unrealistic expectations of your children when you are in no way showing them the behavior you demand from them. Be an example to yourself that your child can be proud of.” 7 likes
“THE MOST INTIMATE relationship we'll ever have is with our own body. It's the headquarters of our fears and anxieties. It's also the cause of many of them. Which is why we can never really be fearless until we stop judging our looks and accept them. I've” 3 likes