Start by marking “American Gypsy Girl” as Want to Read:
American Gypsy Girl

American Gypsy Girl

***2015 IndieBRAG Medallion Honoree***

April 28, 1969. The future looks bleak for the baby girl asleep on top of her father's boxer shorts in the laundry basket, but she doesn't seem to notice. At the moment, Charlene Rae Bucher is blissfully unaware that she will spend her formative years living inside an aluminum camper with a disinterested, dope-smoking father and a
Published August 31st 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about American Gypsy Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Gypsy Girl

1 knocked-up eighteen year-old, slightly overbaked
1 unsuspecting, very handsome, and charitable photographer
1 familiar face you never thought you'd see again
A whole lotta lies
Combine ingredients in small wooden house and stir. Bake at 90 for several hours. Carefully skim layers of lies off the top the allow to settle overnight. Serve with heap of humility

Charlene Rae Bucher is a young teenager like any other teenager, except she has lived her whole life in a aluminium camper
jimtown
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
American Gypsy Girl by Mary Zinda - From a girl her mother barely knew existed and her father never wanted, Charlene, (sounds like Char-broiled), comes of age in a campground in Wisconsin among the seasonal people and the kids in the video arcade.

Although Charlene's mother barely functions without a drink in her hand, sometimes two, her father seems to know what to do to keep her going, until the day he finally has had enough when Charlene comes home pregnant a second time and he disappears.

This
Lisa A McElroy Sweeten
Surprisingly uplifting

Although this story starts out with the somber image of a child growing up amidst neglect and substance abuse, the upbeat tone of Charlene's voice constantly lifts the novel out of what could be a very dark place.
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
This was a sad story that kept me addicted from beginning to end. I felt as if I could really relate to this character and I felt just as the character did. Boy, Gypsy's have a strange life.
gj indieBRAG
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that AMERICAN GYPSY GIRL by Mary Zinda is a B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!

Lin
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very unique

Interesting story about a young girl and her caravan lifestyle. Lessons learned about life the hard way. Fictional biography of this young gypsy's first eighteen years of life.
heather steigler
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely good

From the start to finish I enjoyed this story. Charlene was a lovable character that most girls could relate in some way to. Nicely written. Quick read as it keeps you entertained and wanting to find out where Charlene goes next. Recommended
Piper Templeton
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meet Charlene Rae Bucher. That is Charlene as in Char-broiled. To say Charlene lives an unconventional childhood would be quite the understatement. She and her mom and dad live in a camper – a tin can on wheels, as she dubs it – and stay at campgrounds, anchoring in Wisconsin in the summer where her dad and his ragtag gypsy friends find work in the Christmas tree industry. I’ve never been a camper, but the author’s description of the campgrounds and its atmosphere placed me right there in the ...more
Terry
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lately almost all the books I read are free or 99 cents on various web sites. This was one of those also. Maybe two and a half stars would be better since I did read the whole thing. Probably younger people would rate it higher.
I read it on the way home from an rv park in Texas. I enjoyed the first half more than the second half.
The main character who seems wiser than than the grown ups around her in the first half becomes incredibly stupid in the second half. Perhaps stupid is too strong. But
Trina
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. This poor girl's train-wreck of a life made for interesting reading. Sometimes she was smart & seemed to be getting her life together & then she would go do or say something stupid again. The humor in this book was great. I really liked how the end came together. I would have liked to know who the rich lady was at Madam Lucy's (I have a guess but would have liked that to be clarified) & I would like to know the reason Charlene never really knew who her ...more
Becki Basley
American Gypsy is about as Chick Lit as I get. It's the typical girl has a hard life (her family lives in a camper and travels the US) and she has a crisis but what I like about it is she comes into her own before she finds her knight in shining armor. She's already saved her self before the man enters the picture.
Florence Osmund
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
American Gypsy Girl by Mary Zinda is a coming-of-age story that presents an interesting insight into how a young girl growing up under extremely unfavorable conditions can find in herself what it takes to build a future outside of what she knows from her own upbringing. The book is well-written and the characters so well-developed, you’ll feel as though you personally know them.
Karen
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very enjoyable. Some reviewers felt it made fun of low income people but I thought it was a wonderful portrait of people coping with their circumstances. The characters and relationships are great. The only reason I held back on 5 stars was mentioned by others: the ending is a little too fairy-tale-esque.
Amanda F Savage
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story

Maybe not the best written or most believable story but I did find it engaging. The characters and even the storyline were relatable. Overall, an enjoyable coming of age story.
Brittany
This was more like 3.5 stars. It was not a great piece of literature but the story was enjoyable and the characters, relatable (for the most part). Sure the story seemed a tad far fetched at times, but sometimes you need that in a book. I was happily surprised by this Amazon freebie.
Mary Crider
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book even though the main character had such troubled parents she always had hope to do better and didnt complain she made alot of mistakes, but in the end she found what was right for her.
grundoon
3.5 The excursions to absurd levels of naivety aside, I found this trailer park coming-of-age tale unexpectedly charming. Unfortunately, for this could easily have rated an additional star, the arc the author had in mind was possibly the least interesting one available.
Dzejna
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. The main character grew on me and I did end up liking her more than I thought I would. Plus I must have looked really funny when I laughed really hard at some parts if the book. It was also really nice to read a book who didn't have all the social sites and so on.
Vicki Whittiker
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down

I enjoyed reading this book. it was hard to put down and when I did, I continued thinking about the characters and what would happen to them. well written and moving too. thank you for writing it!
Trisha Teran
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who is semi nomadic the title of the book pulled me in. Overall a nice easy and quick read.
Delena
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reviews, 2014
Just give it a chance!
Byron's wife
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Although there was a lull midway through, the book quickly picked up pace and turned out to be an enjoyable read.
Andria
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book quite readable, however the ending was too pat, fairytale, and sugar coated to leave me satisfied.
Pamela Johnson
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

Such an Amazing read!!! Captivating from beginning to end!!! Charlene such an intriguing character, found myself rooting for her throughout the story.
Debbie
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book you should read. It takes you into the life of a family that are considered gypsies and the young girl who grew up with this life and how she adapted and made the most of what she had.
Catherine Lee
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Funny Good Read

If you want a real light hearted amusing story this is the one for you. Laughs on every page. Kept me laughing out loud.
Brianna
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light read

While I had hoped this book was really about Gypsies, this book following the life of a girl growing up in trailer parks was still entertaining.
Christine
Enjoyed it. The ending wraps up a little too nicely, but overall a decent read.
Ramona
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this fun book. Author's great sense of humor had me laughing out loud - and yes, maybe even a snort or two!
Ashley
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
A silly little trailer park soap opera that was surprisingly kind of cute.

• The Other Side of The Bridge
  • The Edge of Recall
  • The Bicycle Teacher
  • The Quintland Sisters
  • Small Town
  • Monsoon Mansion: A Memoir
  • Uncharted Territory (Angela Panther, #3)
  • Give It Back
  • One More Breath
  • Charlie's Pond
  • Bellewether
  • Bittersweet Memories: A Novel
  • Forgotten Places
  • A Million Doorways
My fascination with all things haunted and tragic led me to write about such things. My real life is neither, luckily. (It's probably hard to write with ghosts hanging around...)

When I'm not writing (or camping, or hanging with my family) I'm reading. Please throw recommendations my way if you come across a good historical fiction novel (My favorite!)