Jump to ratings and reviews

Only #2

The Only Answer

The sequel to the international hit, The Only Exception.

A boy burdened with a family legacy. A girl haunted by a shattered past. Both searching for answers to a future threatened by the unknown. Three years ago, conservative Trey Chapman and liberal Monica Remy met their match in one another - and made the only exception that would change their lives forever. Now, Trey's father is running for president, forcing Trey and Monica to put aside their personal beliefs to be the model of perfection.

But fate has other ideas, casting the family in scandal. Some seek to use that disgrace to further their family legacy, while others refuse to let go of the past. Trey and Monica soon find themselves lost among questions that challenge their true feelings.

Will they be able to rediscover that the only answer lies with one another, or will they lose each other forever?

260 pages, Paperback

First published August 25, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Magan Vernon

81 books930 followers
Magan Vernon has been living off of reader tears since she wrote her first short story in 2004. She now spends her time killing off fictional characters, pretending to plot while she really just watches Netflix, and she tries to do this all while her two young children run amok around her Texas ranch.

You can stalk or...er...find her online at all of these fun and happy places.

Amazon Author Link: http://amzn.to/1Mi23I9

FELL THE VERN (reader group): http://on.fb.me/1lVsZEo

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Profile Image for Lindy.
795 reviews201 followers
August 12, 2014
My Thoughts:

The Only Answer was a great sequel to book 1, The Only Exception, in this series. I love when we get to learn more about characters that we fell in love with in a previous book. I loved getting to know Trey and Monica in the first book, but it's always fun to get a continuation of a story when characters have already been established.

The Only Answer takes place, three years after, The Only Exception. Trey and Monica are happy with one another, in love, and officially beginning their lives as adults. Trey is working on his father's campaign, as he is the Republican candidate for the presidency. Monica is struggling to find a job utilizing her education in Women's Studies. Unfortunately, because of her connection to Trey and his family's political background, no one will hire her in her field, and she has to settle for working in a coffee shop. Monica and Trey's life deals them a surprise, which puts their relationship to the test. They have to battle scandal, gossip, and the media; as they are put in the spotlight due to Trey's father's candidacy. Will their relationship survive the constant stress, and will Trey put his father's campaign first, or his relationship with Monica?

The Only Answer was an extremely romantic story. I couldn't help but swoon over Trey. He was madly in love with Monica, and he told her all of the time. He was romantic, sensitive to her needs, and extremely loyal. Monica has grown a lot since book one. I though that she was a great match for Trey, and even though they had different political beliefs, they respected one another, and found a way to make their relationship thrive. I know that Trey struggled with wanting to please and do the right thing by both his father and Monica, and I felt bad for his constant struggle. However, I was glad when both his best friend, John, and his brother, Tripp, gave him excellent advice, and made him see things more clearly.

The end of the story was beautiful, and really touched my heart. The Only Answer, had both great main and secondary characters, as well as plot twists, and a beautiful and touching romance. I read this story in a few hours, and the pages just flew by! I'm looking forward to going back and reading, The Only One, which is (Trey and Monica's best friends,) John and Melanie's story. This is such a great series, and I highly recommend it to those that enjoy New Adult Romance, but are looking for a little something different. If you are fascinated by politics, and various debates between the Democrat and Republican Parties, as well as a good romance, check out Trey and Monica's story. I give, The Only Answer, by Magan Vernon, 4 Fast-paced, Fascinating, Romantic, and Sweet Stars!!!

*To Read More Book Reviews, Visit A Bookish Escape at http://www.abookishescape.com
Profile Image for Heather.
459 reviews25 followers
August 30, 2014
After reading The Only Answer I have decided I have no political aspirations, nor do I want to be a part of a family with politicians. We know what it’s like, they always have us watching, everything is reported, good or bad or completely fabricated. I’m one of those people when I see stuff coming from either of the aisle on Facebook, I have to look it up and see if it’s true, and if it’s not, I must report back. It drives some a little crazy that I won’t let them live happily in their propaganda filled world, but misinformation is a pet peeve of me.

Which really has nothing to do with the book, other than I was thinking about the lives politicians and their families must live, always under a microscope, the whole time I was reading. Understanding how Trey felt as the son of someone running for president, always needing to be perfect, only letting a certain demeanor show in public, and now Monica has to do the same.

That’s where Trey and Monica are, under the microscope, because his father is running for president. Will it make their relationship or will it break them?

They are put to the test multiple times over the course of the book and I wasn’t sure if they were going to make it. I can’t tell you if they did or not because spoilers suck.

I haven’t read the other books in the series yet, but I can say that I did fine reading this without them, though I really want to read them next. I wasn’t lost at all not knowing the history.

Another great big from Magan Vernon. I really enjoyed it and cannot wait to see what is coming from her next! Can I put in a request here and say I hope it’s the next book in the Hopeless in Hot-Lanta series? :D <3

Thank you so much for my copy of The Only Answer!

Profile Image for Michelle.
1,250 reviews187 followers
January 12, 2015
I've had The Only Answer for a few months waiting to be read, and it somehow got lost among the rest of the books on my iPad. After having some down time between books I picked this one up and began to make a start on it.
The Only Answer is a book I wish I had read sooner. I forgot how much I love these characters and I really enjoyed getting to visit their world again. What made this even better is getting to see Valerie from Forever Wild again and catch up with her.

The Only Answer sees Trey and Monica face an unexpected complication in their relationship, and instead of making life easier, it makes it so very complicated and pretty soon this couple find themselves in the middle of a media storm, with all eyes on them and Trey's Dad's campaign, The Only Answer was a quick read for me, but I devoured every single page. The progression of the story didn't feel rushed but progressed at a steady pace.

Everything about The Only Answer was perfect and while I wish it was longer, I am happy with how it ended.

Final Verdict
A great addition to this series and one that I really enjoyed. My favourite of the series.
Profile Image for Lisa Karafa.
83 reviews68 followers
August 28, 2014
I loved Trey and Monica in The Only Exception and was thrilled to find The Only Answer was a continuation of their story.

Our conservative Trey and liberal Monica both find themselves moving a little more to the center as an unexpected event takes them both by surprise. Magan did a wonderful job portraying both characters feelings, beliefs and subsequent growth in this book.

The passion between these two left them throwing caution to the wind only to have to deal with the consequences later. Add to the mix that both were thrown into the public eye in a way they never imagined and for a reason they never expected added a layer of tension to the relationship leaving them both questioning their choices, their commitment and their future.

I loved how Magan weaved Chastity's character into the story and the references of past political scandals as a result of Trey and Monica's dilemma. It was nice to catch up with characters from Magan's other books too. While this book can be read as a stand alone, I would highly recommend reading The Only Exception first so you can read how Trey and Monica came to be and then see where they end up.

Profile Image for Brit.
Author 10 books149 followers
August 18, 2014
Advance Readers Copy (ARC) given and provided for my blog for an honest review via blog tour

Rating 3.5 stars
Cover: 7
Hero: 6
Heroine: 6
Format: eBook via kindle - Mobi. file

This will be my first time reading anything by Magan Vernon. I normally don't read about politics; fiction or non-fiction but I thought this was just an okay story. It didn't pull me into anything. I skimmed throughout the book I couldn't keep my interest up.

The author did a lovely job writing it. I just couldn't connect to the characters. And also I felt their was no connect between them only for hot sex. And I was having a hard time picturing Trey. And also I hated the secondary characters and the families in this book they were just horrible. Who treats family like that

Profile Image for Amy Logg.
180 reviews101 followers
August 22, 2014
A fabulous continuation to Trey & Monica's story!

REVIEW:
The story:
I absolutely loved Monica & Trey when we first met them in The Only Exception, and it was so lovely to catch up with them 3 years on to see how their relationship has progressed. They are now engaged and are faced with lots of new challenges to overcome, all while dealing with the pressures of public life due to Trey's father's political campaign.

At first Trey & Monica struggle to deal with the media constantly hounding them and judging every move they make. With all the lies and scandals circulating around them, a few crack start to appear. They both need to learn how to trust each other and their loved ones before the media circus tears them apart.

The characters:
Trey is still the sweet 'good guy' that I fell in love with in The Only Exception. He's kind and always does the right thing by his family and friends. But Trey learns a lot in the book. He realises that doing the right thing by his father in terms of his political career is not always the right thing for his relationship with Monica.

I love Monica, the kick ass outspoken woman who is not afraid to speak her mind. On the surface she appears unbreakable, but around Trey we got to see a more fragile side to her, and although she's overcome a lot of her fears surrounding her sexual assault, facing the media frenzy challenges her in a whole new way.

There are also cameos from John Boy & Melanie, who I absolutely adore (you can read their story in The Only One). And we also get to properly meet Trey's 'troubled' brother Tripp, who I seriously hope get's his own book, because oh boy does he have a story to tell! (hint hint Ms Vernon)

The romance:
Trey and Monica could not be more different on paper. With many differing opinions, especially in the political arena, they have a lot of colourful debates, but nothing that these two can't overcome. What I love about their relationship is that they show it's okay to have different opinions and ideas and still be in a loving relationship. They make it work by respecting each other's differences, and it was so lovely to watch these two continue to grow as individuals and as a couple.

The Writing:
I always love Magan's novel's and Trey & Monica's story is still one of my favourites for hers. The characters are well developed with strong individual personalities. Her writing is always full of sassy wit that you are sure to snort at while reading.

FINAL WORD:
The Only Answer is a fabulous continuation to Trey & Monica's story. Full of humour and plenty of drama, fans of The Only Exception won't be disappointed!

CONTENT:
Sexuality: medium / some sex scenes, discussions of abortion/pro life etc
Violence: mild
Language: mild-medium / occasional f word
Drugs & alcohol: medium / some drinking, discussions of addiction & rehab

More reviews at The Reading Realm
August 29, 2014
4.5 stars!

I was so excited to read this book, so when I saw sign-ups for events for the book, I quickly signed up! I loved these characters first book and I couldn't wait to see where their story was going to go next! I was also super happy that the author decided to give them another book to finish off their story! The Only Answer was an amazing book! It was a quick read too, so I read it in a few sittings in one day! I may have enjoyed it more than the first book as well! The plot was amazing! It went at a really good pace, and once I started reading, I couldn't stop until I had finished it, which explains why I read it so quickly lol! I have to admit that the plot did go in a different direction to what I thought it was going too, but I loved the direction it did go in! There were also a few tense scenes in the plot that made me sort of wonder as to where the plot was going to go next! I just loved it though and the overall plot really impressed me, even though it went in a different direction to what I was expecting! The characters were again amazing! Monica was again the main female character and she was in a bit of a pickle in this book and she didn't really know how to handle it to start with! I have to say that after Monica got over the shock, she handled it brilliantly! I loved that she stepped up and she was prepared for the new role in her life! She was also fierce in this book and she stood up for herself and Trey too! I just loved her! She's also come a long way since I first met her in the first book! She was also seriously hot with her love interest! Trey was again the main male character and love interest of Monica! I just adored Trey in this book! He was fiercely protective of Monica and I could see that he would do anything to protect her, even if it meant defying his parents wishes! I actually loved Trey more in this book than what I did in the first book! I felt like he was more attentive towards Monica and that was super sweet to read! Trey also stepped up in this book and that's what he needed to do for he and Monica to develop onto the next stage in their lives that they were going to have to face together! I loved that characters from the other companion book, The Only One, made appearances in this book! It was fun to see how their relationship had developed! I also really enjoyed that this book was written from both Monica and Trey's point of views! It made me love the plot even more and seeing their love for each other through both of their eyes was really beautiful! I don't think there's going to be another book in Monica and Trey's story! There's potential for another book though or maybe Trey and Monica appearing in other books featuring a different couple, but I'm not sure what the author has planned! I really hope Monica and Trey appear in another book though! The cover for this book is stunning! It suits it really well and I love how it matches the other books in this companion series too! Big thank you to Magan and WordSmith Publicity for an ARC of The Only Answer!
Profile Image for Danielle .
2,572 reviews68 followers
January 2, 2015

If you fell in love with Trey and Monica in The Only Exception, you will love this story. We fast forward three years into Trey and Monica's relationship. The couple is still together and still madly in love. They are now done with school and are entering "the real world" with jobs and relationships.

Monica seems to be struggling a little more that Trey. She is having a head time finding a job (which might have to do wither her personal relationships) and feels like she is in a weird place. Monica ends up getting a job in a coffee place, even though she has a college degree. Trey is working for his dad, who is now running for President. Monica seems to be off balance in her professional life. I honestly understand where she is emotionally. It is hard when one half of the relationship is doing well professionally, when the other is at a standstill.

As if that weren't enough, Monica is thrown for a major loop when the unexpected happens. Her and Trey are tested in a way they were never expected. Their relationship is put to the test with some very surprising news. What should be a private matter between the couple, now seems to be made public with everyone having an opinion. That is what happens when your boyfriends' dad is an important public figure.

The Only Answer, for me was fantastic. I love Trey and Monica. And as an added bonus were my other favorites... Melanie Wilder and John “John Boy” Walden as well as Valerie and Wes. I can't wait to see where the journey takes us in Tripp Chapman's book.
Profile Image for Amy .
2,672 reviews
December 5, 2015
I fell in love with Trey and Monica in The Only Exception, so I couldn't have been more excited when I found out that they were getting another book!

It's now 3 years later and Monica and Trey's future is looking brighter than ever! Trey is now working for his father's campaign. Monica is finding that it's not only hard to find work with the degree that she has, but also hard because of who she's connected to. She ends up settling for a job at a coffee shop and quickly learns how unpredictable life can be. Life decided to throw Trey and Monica a huge curve ball and their relationship is tested in ways that they never expected. Soon they are thrown into the spotlight and will have to deal with everything that goes along with it.......

The Only Answer was a quick and enjoyable read for me. I loved seeing what all my favorite characters were up to. I didn't think it was possible to love Trey and Monica more, but this book proved me wrong. Their characters and struggles were so easy to relate to. This book gave a very realistic outlook as to how scandal effects those in the spotlight and the politics that go along with it. I loved how strong Trey and Monica's relationship was. I appreciated how no matter what life threw at them, they didn't let it destroy them. I loved the romance, surprises and twists that were thrown in along the way.

The Only Answer was a great conclusion to this series!

*****I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*****

Profile Image for books are love.
3,131 reviews24 followers
August 13, 2014
This was precious. Such a beautifully romantic story. this takes place 3 years after Trey and Monica have met. They are moving out on their own after graduating and each with different pressures. The love between them is felt with every action and word. Trey is working on his dad's campaign and has the pressures of his family's expectations. Monica has the pressure of finding a job and being happy. The two together are each other's support system.

Trey asks Monica to marry him and does something unexpected. Next thing we know they are in a situation that his dad's campaign turns into something of a political agenda, her family makes her feel unworthy and the two are struggling to figure out what to do. Throughout it all they are there for each other. Trey's love is so incredible. He never wavers in his devotion. He only wavers in his belief of who he is. He is struggling to find himself and his future. His brother Tripp though helps him.

The two embark on a journey of self discovery and love that transcends all that is going on around them as they deal with emotions, family and expectations. A beautiful love story that will have you smile.

I received this in exchange of a honest review.
Profile Image for Carra.
1,664 reviews25 followers
September 2, 2014
A great follow up to The Only Exception. I can't imagine two young people having a relationship with the strains that being part of a political family would put on them, but Trey and Monica seem to manage quite well-even with all the bumps along the way.

I love the scene at John-Boy's bachelor party, it's probably my favorite of the book ;-) Trey and Monica run into several issues in this book, and it's very satisfying to see them continually overcome every obstacle put in their path, not just with Trey's political family but also with Monica's family as well.

For me, the constant political issues provide a bit of annoyance, which is mostly a personal thing since I can't stand politics-but is necessary to the story since it shows how true love can persevere over all...especially with the help of supportive, loyal friends.

This is a good, quick read and I'd recommend for 18+ after you read The Only Exception
Profile Image for Beverly.
78 reviews1 follower
August 21, 2014
One of my favorite books is “the only exception” so when I found out there will be a sequel, I waited patiently and it was all worth it. The story started 3 years after book one ended, both trey and Monica is out of college, one has wonderful job while the other is struggling, what I love most about the story is the drama and the twist, it was very realistic and I never expected that it will be Monica’s family who will act negatively when they drop the bombed and what happen to the governor’s career was unexpected. you have to read the book to find out what I’m talking about. The only problem after reading this is I still want more and I really hoped will right a story about Jackson and oveta.

****arc requested from net galley in exchange of an honest review****
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
August 15, 2014
I liked the friends Trey had they were supportive, "he shook his head. "Naw, man. We're brothers. I've got your back no matter what and you've got mine. I'm not letting you drive back to the city alone so just shut your effing mouth and listen to me or I'm putting you over my shoulder and dragging you out to my jeep." John was blunt. Brash." I loved how he protected his woman and wanted to keep her happy, "I did. I was trying to do what I thought was best." Her words were muffled. She gasped for air before the crying started. I turned toward her and put my arm around her shoulder, pulling her close. No one was going to make her cry. I didn't care if it was my father or his campaign manager." I liked this book, although the first book so more entertaining I thought than this one.
Profile Image for Lheanne Spicer.
177 reviews6 followers
August 25, 2014
After making it through college Monica and Trey are now engaged and ready to start their life together. Trey has decided to work for his presidential campaign and Monica is working at a coffee shop until she finds her dream job. Even though both sets of parents don't agree with it Trey and Monica decide to live together since they are engaged. But its not long before life throws them a curve ball, Monica is pregnant! Will this baby bring Monica and Trey closer together or will the stress of it all tear them apart!

Loved this book! Magan did a amazing job on drawing me in and I couldn't put it down, I had to know what happened next. I will be recommending this book to my friends and can't wait to read more of Magan's books!!
Profile Image for Lisa (A Life Bound By Books).
1,107 reviews748 followers
August 15, 2014
One thing that I did love about this title is visiting so many couples from previous books. That was extremely fun and a few were unexpected.

Enjoyed reading this one. Had some nice twists to it and getting a peak at another Chapman brother was also a great addition to the story. Full review to follow on my blog - A Life Bound By Books.
Profile Image for Chloe.
637 reviews17 followers
February 7, 2017
Honestly, when i first read the only exception, i was so obsessed. Monica and Trey's love story was amazing and i was so obsessed, but this sequel just disappointed me to no end. If it hadnt been such a quick read i probably would have stopped reading it all together.
Profile Image for Bouke Sieperda.
84 reviews3 followers
May 10, 2021
the continuation of The only exception!
to my surprise the whole story was of the same value as the first on!
a standalone but would recomment to read the the first one first!
exellent story without doubt again good for a 5 star!
Profile Image for Evette.
843 reviews45 followers
August 28, 2014
More Trey and Monica! With a hilarious side of Wes, Val, Melanie and the incredible John-Boy himself.

This is a sweet and intense sequel to The Only Exception. It begins shortly after graduation, and life is hectic. Trey is wrapped up in his father’s campaign, and Monica is trying to find a job in her field. Let the fun begin!

Love dual POV, and Magan does a great job of telling the story and moving along the plot with their two voices. See a more tender and vulnerable side of both Trey and Monica. At several points their characters and actions were unexpected and different from how I saw them in the Only Exception. The three years has made them both make changes in their beliefs and thoughts. And while their actual families also get wrapped in all of the muck their friends are there for them. Going so far as to give them both a smack down at different points to help them see the big picture, not just the tunnel vision of the campaign and their families desires. Absolutely love John, Trigg and Jordan- the voices of reason :)

I was disappointed with the Epilogue. It felt rushed with so many lapses in reality. Even as I read it I thought “nope, not possible” or “nope not the way it would happen” but I WANTED to go with it because it was Trey and Monica. And I love them. A lot. So a pass was given. But still disappointed that it ended on a meh note.
Profile Image for JG.
1,493 reviews57 followers
August 13, 2014
The Only Answer is an excellent follow up to Magan Vernon's The Only Exception. This time around we get to find out what happens to that beloved couple Trey and Monica. Its been three years since they were first together and it seems everything is running on track, even the liberal minded Monica doesn't seem to be rebelling on the idea she's following the more conservative route in life. But a little surprise for this couple which should have been wonderful seems to cause a whole heap of problems for them and the people around. What are they suppose to do now. The Only Answer. like the first book deals with a lot of common social issues that most new adults would or have encountered in real life. There is some angst but fans of HEA would surely love how Trey and Monica never lose sight of what's important despite the pressure they seem to be facing. This was a fun and delightful read especially for fans of The Only Exception. Lighthearted, romantic with real social issues at play.

*ARC provided by the publisher in return for an honest review *
Profile Image for Briana Pacheco.
Author 8 books164 followers
September 13, 2014
**Complimentary copy provided by the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

3.5-4 stars
The Only Answer takes place three years after the events in, The Only Exception, and I really liked it. I wasn't really in love with book 1 so seeing Monica and Trey older, wiser and dealing with real problems couples their age go through was better.

I'm not sure what to say without giving away spoilers so I'll stick with; a scandal happens, people get angry, other people don't act the way they're suppose to and the road gets a little bumpy for the couple. Aside from that it was a good read and the ending was really sweet.

Highly recommended if you loved The Only Exception!
Profile Image for Piseog.
1,402 reviews7 followers
October 23, 2014

I did prefer The Only Exception, but this was a really nice read. I love Trey and Monica and I loved what happened in this book with them. I do think that the author could have done more with the story (it was a little tiring with the same arguments over and over) but it was enjoyable to read. Having Trey's POV in this book kinda ruined him for me at the beginning, but sometimes it was nice to know what he was thinking. But I still think that the male protagonist should have a bit of mystery and we don't always need to read from their POV too. The ending was great, but I would have loved an epilogue.
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.