Start by marking “Ten Ways to Make My Sister Disappear” as Want to Read:
Ten Ways to Make My Sister Disappear

Ten Ways to Make My Sister Disappear

Everything ten year-old Sprig wants, her older sister Dakota already has. Everything Sprig does, Dakota does better. And anytime Sprig complains, Dakota just grins and calls her a baby. It’s enough to make a kid wish her sister would disappear.

But in a year when Sprig’s father is away, her favorite neighbor is ill, and the class bully is acting almost like, well, a boyfr
Published January 1st 2007 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Ten Ways to Make My Sister Disappear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Ways to Make My Sister Disappear

Start your review of Ten Ways to Make My Sister Disappear
Lydia
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess this book was alright!
In the beginning I did not like it at all!
But near the end it started to get pretty good! ( surprisingly! )
Gretchen
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I lovedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd this book. It is not just facts about how to make your sister disappear it is a book with a story!
Chris
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny; with everything Sprig's older sister does, and the way she acts, you could pretty much replace "sister" with "brother", or change Sprig into a boy, and you could easily get a story that boys could relate to perfectly. That's how universal this story's themes are. Sibling rivalry, jealousy, getting angry at friends, missing a parent, and the various little things that happen in the story, are something kids of both genders can understand and relate to.

Each chapter is short, but someth
Kimberly Duong
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Ten ways to make my sister disappear, by Norma Fox Mazer is about Sprig being jealous because her sister Dakota had already has everything, and Dakota always grins and calls her a baby which causes Sprig to wish Dakota would disappear. For example, "And I do not give you permission to write about me. Will do, Dakota says, and reaches for Sprig's paper. No!, Sprig yells. The inevitable happens, it rips. Sprig stares at the torn, wrinkled mess in front of her. And sweep her into into the ...more
M.
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked a lot of the book but I wish the mother had defended the younger daughter against the older daughter's nasty comments--why do we assume outright meanness and nastiness are appropriate behavior for middle school girls? Otherwise, I thought the story rang true.

Sprig is 10; her sister is in 8th grade and rarely has anything approaching a civil tongue in her head when talking to Sprig. Mom is oblivious. Dad is on a business trip to Afghanistan although he calls each night. Sprig is worried
Sarah Roberson
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10-12 year olds
Recommended to Sarah by: MaKenna Lindeman
I read this book when I was in the fifth grade. It was recommended by a good friend. It was very entertaining, with lots of humor in it. It's only 168 pages, so you'll be finished with it in no time, but if your looking for something to read fairly quickly, you'll be quite satisfied. It is geared for the age of about 10-12.

10 Ways To Make My Sister disappear is about the relationship between Sprig and her older sister Dakota. Many people find their siblings annoying, and this book features just
Noel
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book!!
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Mazer, Norma Fox 10 Ways to Make My Sister Disappear, 160 p. . Scholastic. Language-G; Sexual Content-G; Violence-G;

Sprig, 10, gets mad because she is jealous of her older sister Dakota. Dakota is more trusted, more popular and Sprig feels that its all just because Dakota is older. Sprig makes a list – a list that has ten ideas of how to get rid of her sister. As the story progresses you learn that they both rely on one another for different things.

The author did a good job capturing the charact
Xady
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Ten ways to make my sister Disapper I will give it 4 stars because like how she tell you how to make a sister disapper and at the end of the book it make me sad because her friend make fun of her because she doesn’t like how they make fun at her frist.At the beginning of the book I didn’t really like it but when I got to the middle of the book I started liking the book because she not scared of anything like like talking about when her parents were getting divorced I really remembered t ...more
Kristen
A short, sweet, gentle read that's light on plot and heavy on character. A good choice for kids who like Junonia by Kevin Henkes.
LoriB
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was out of library books and just grabbed this children’s book off my shelves. It was quite entertaining and nice to read something so light-hearted once in a while.
Mallory
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good
Catherine
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book that shows friendships, sibling rivalry, and sibling love.
Pumkin pie
Oct 21, 2020 added it
Shelves: good-books
I loved it! I just hope that when I'm older, my little sister won't think I'm that bad!
Addie
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book OK. In the beginning, you meet Sprig and Dakota. Right off the bat you will figure out that they definitely don't get along, at all! You will also know that their dad leaves a lot because of his job. Sprig's mother wants sprig to stop crying so much. When Sprig and Dakota were little, they got along great but as soon as Dakota turned 13 she turned (as sprig would say) evil. later in the book Sprig and her best friend get in a fight. So when Dakota and Sprig attend a party a cou ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

Sprig is only ten years old - but she has a ton of problems.

For one, her dad just left to go to Washington, D.C., on a business trip. Sprig absolutely hates it when her dad has to go away because she knows she will miss him every minute of the day. This time is worse then before, however, since he will be gone for six weeks.

Then there is Sprig's pesky older sister, Dakota, who thinks that because she just turned twelve, she c
May 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, novels
Ok, yes, I'm an adult who reads kids' books--I'm a teacher; I can't help it. In any case, this book caught my eye as a younger sister who can relate to an extremely annoying older sister such as the protagonist in this story has. Interestingly, it's written in the present tense, which can be distracting at times (especially in a read aloud) but overall doesn't detract from the quality of the story.

It's a fresh "contemporary" realistic fiction written with a voice that reflects its 10-year-old pr
Lm
Hmmmm. I have mixed feelings on this one. On the positive side, it was a simple, easy to read, enjoyable story, that briefly addressed some meaningful issues, such as the Taliban's banning of girls in schools and the signs of a stroke. Well, now that I am writing this, maybe that's just my problem with it - the storylines on these two important topics just didn't fit that well into an otherwise breezy little read. They were certainly underdeveloped, almost glossed-over... kind of "Jack of all tr ...more
Heenly Pelayo
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book this is probably my 30000000 time reading it its so amazing. I love this author and how she put the 10 reasons throughout the story in a sneaky way. This book is so cute and amazing i definetly recommend it to everyone because it truly is good. I also love how the 10 ways are so unique and creative like honestly how would she think of these ideas out of thin air. I love the ending and i love the characters in his book too. I can relate to this book because sometimes i want to se ...more
Alexandra
1: Dakota steps onto an ice floe in the antartic... and drifts off
2:Judge judy sends her to the slammer for stealing my question
3:if she were paper,oh so many choices! crumple! rumple! tear and toss!:)
4:like smoke, she rizes into the air and poof.....
5:she's a cucumber, and i crunch her!
6:i blink, blink, blink her into a watery puddle!
7:bake her lilke a cookie!
8:float her out into the ocean on a raft
9:put her in a hot air balloon and send it arond the world
10:juice her like an orange and drink h
LibraryCin
Sprig is 10 years old and her sister Dakota is 12. Dakota used to be nice to Sprig, but not anymore, so Sprig likes to think up ways for Dakota to disappear. Their Dad is always away for work, and they have an elderly neighbour who has a dog that Sprig loves. Sprig and Dakota each have a best friend they share their secrets with and they are starting to think about boys more.

It’s a cute book. Sprig grows up a little bit throughout the book. I think pre-teen girls would like this book.
Rachel Inbar
I found the name "Sprig" annoying. Why couldn't the main character just be called by her regular name. I didn't feel that added anything to the story... I did not really get the transition between the first part of the book (which was OK) and the second part (which was better). I also did not enjoy the writing style, which seemed awkward at times. I would really give the first part of the book a 2.5 and the second part a 3.5...
Salsabrarian
Sprig, 10, and her older sister Dakota, 12, have the typical sibling relationship. Dakota lords her maturity over Sprig, and Sprig wishes her big sister would conveniently disappear, like smoke into the sky. But the two still need each other while Dad is away in Afghanistan, when best friends let them down, and when cute boys disappoint. This may be a young chapter book but there is plenty of plot and density to the family situation and sibling dynamics.
Joenna
Sprig is in elementary school and has an older sister, Dakota, who is a know-it-all. Her dad is an engineer contractor who goes to Afghanistan to build schools. Another coming-of-age book about friends, family, boys, and cliques. I didn't really like the writing style, but all around pretty good.
Kristy
Oct 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sprig and her sister, Dakota, have a typical sisterly relationship. There's a lot of teasing, harassing and general snide behavior. Sprig is highly sensitive and terribly upset when her father leaves to go to Afghanistan to build schools for girls. Boys, friends and parties - Mazer covers all of the most important middle school topics.
Natalie
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story because it kind of relates to me except its vice-versa. I bet my sister agrees with this book if she read this book because the older sister is like me. Obsessed with polka dots like me. (not really.) A funny story. It makes you realize that no matter how much older or meaner you are it doesn't mean you don't have fears or worries.
One of the easier reads of the 2010 Battle of the Books. This is a book any child with a sibling (especially an older one) will relate to. Sprig alternately loves and hates her older sister. But, the underlying message is that no matter what, family is what matters.
Just one question- why put the word "boobs" in a book written at the third grade level?
Debbie Cranberryfries

My (middle child) daughter and I got this at our school's Scholastic Book Fair. We read it together. There were a few parts she laughed out and loud and a few parts I was seriously questioning why the author chose to include something in a childrens book. Just ok. 2.5 stars

babyhippoface
1o-year-old Sprig doesn't often get along well with her 12-year-old sister, Dakota, but sometimes life--and people--can be pleasantly surprising. A solid book with well-rounded characters. Any girl with an older sister will identify with Sprig and the ups and downs of her relationship with Dakota.
Parisa
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Parisa by: Mrs. McGeary (previous teacher)
This was a good book, but not good enough to make it to my favorites. It's funny, because my 4th grade teacher recommended it to me, and I actually do have a sister that I sometimes want to make disappear, and my teacher knew that about me, which is kinda cool, yet kind of weird.
« previous 1 3 next »
Term 2 Book Review #4 1 1 Jan 11, 2016 08:06PM

• Betrayed (Rosato & DiNunzio, #2)
  • Pick of the Litter
  • Tsunamis and Other Natural Disasters (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #15)
  • Catmagic (Animalmagic, #1)
  • A Christmas Journey (Christmas Stories, #1)
  • The Christmas List
  • The Magic Half
  • Dogmagic (Animalmagic, #2)
  • A Christmas Promise (Christmas Stories, #7)
  • Little Earthquakes
  • A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #2)
  • Mary, Mary (Alex Cross, #11)
  • Santa Paws On Christmas Island (Santa Paws)
  • Agnes Parker... Keeping Cool in Middle School
  • A Christmas Guest (Christmas Stories, #3)
  • A Christmas Odyssey (Christmas Stories, #8)
  • The Thing About Georgie
  • Dark Wolf (Dark, #22)
Norma Fox Mazer was an American author and teacher, best known for her books for children and young adults.

She was born in New York City but grew up in Glens Falls, New York, with parents Michael and Jean Garlan Fox. Mazer graduated from Glens Falls High School, then went to Antioch College, where she met Harry Mazer, whom she married in 1950; they have four children, one of whom, Anne Mazer, is a