Start by marking “Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)

Glass Sword

(Red Queen #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  157,806 ratings  ·  16,468 reviews
If there’s one thing Mare Barrow knows, it’s that she’s different.

The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from Maven, the prince—the friend—who betrayed her, Mare unc
Published February 9th 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Glass Sword, please sign up.
Konstantina✨️ OMG ME!!!! I ship them so much, every time they're near each other, I'm just like "Now kiss."
Tu Pesadilla I would have finished it in a day, but it took me almost 2 days to finish it! It's soo good I couldn't put it down! (if not for school) XDD
YA Novels of 2016
1,124 books — 9,699 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,309 books — 6,921 voters

More lists with this book...

·  157,806 ratings  ·  16,468 reviews

Start your review of Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)
Rachel E. Carter
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: br
I am still #teamMaven. Scroll down to the spoiler portion of my review to read my theory on his redemption arc. I'm either right or dead wrong, but my gut is telling me to there is more to Maven than meets the eye.

"Mare, I am very afraid for you. Things have been done to you, things no person should suffer. You've seen horrible things, done horrible things, and they will change you. I'm so afraid for what you could be, if given the wrong chance."

description

Enter the world of shades of gray. No character will be spared.

I FIspared.
Ieye.
Emily May
Feb 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
And I am revealed for exactly what I am - a particularly stupid fish, moving from hook to hook, never learning my lesson.

^This is a pretty good summary of the whole book.

I know some people will not like that I tried Glass Sword after being really disappointed with Red Queen, but I've had a lot of luck with sequels lately. My dislike for first books like Cinder and The Winner's Curse turned into love for the later books in the series. So I thought I'd give Aveyard a second chance.

No disrespect intended, but
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
FREAKING AVEYARD AND HER FREAKING FINALES THAT HAVE YOUR HEAD SPINNING. WHAT THE ACTUAL.

I'll be doing a full video review for this soon & I'll share the link once it's live.
Sasha Alsberg
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
JUST. I CANT. YES. This book. Bless this book!!!!! That ending. Damn. I can't even type in complete sentences after reading Glass Sword (even though I just did).....
Antonia
Feb 12, 2015 marked it as reviews-say-run-forrest-run
edit 03/14/16:
After long consideration I decided to not start 'Glass Sword' and quit this series instead - the reviews released so far mention the lack of the two things I was looking forward to in GS, action and Maven, and I do not see the point of picking it up, if I'll only get disappointed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still rooting for Mare and Maven.

Adam Silvera
Aug 20, 2015 marked it as to-read
I'm declaring myself TEAM MAVEN for the rest of the series. I don't mean I'm shipping Maven with Mare. I mean I'm warship-ing Maven AGAINST Mare and all her allies.

Reds, you're going down.

Best,
Maven and Adam
(THAT is a ship I can get on board with.)

P.S: Please note I do love Mare. I just love chaos more.
Miranda Reads
description

Rarely, (and I mean rarely) do I abhor a book to its very core.

In an effort to give some structure to my upcoming rant, I will limit myself to the things I disliked the most: The title, the writing and (of course) how our heroine is actually a terrible, horrible person.

The Title

I literally cannot get over this title. So much over-the-top symbolism... but not in the way the author wanted.

All I took away from it was, my God. How useless.

Anything is better than a glass sword. A wooden one, a plastic one, heck...even a french bread one provides nperson.
a
Sabaa Tahir
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You are not prepared for the awesome. *cackles in glee*
Andreea Pop
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cover-love
Careful, there! Unavoidable spoilers from book #1.

“Attend to your own fate, Mare Barrow.”
“And that is?”
“To rise. And rise alone.”

As I sat wallowing in self-pity, speechless, angry at this cruel world, I had a revelation -- Victoria Aveyard enjoys being an evil mastermind. She enjoys making me laugh, fall in love with countless characters at the same time and then drown into an endless puddle of my own tears. And she does it with such glorious creativity that, even though my heart is breaking into shards of glass, I cannot#1.
Darth J

Basically Mockingjay

After I finished Red Queen , I suspected there would be a large problem with the sequel: too many characters and details. I was correct that I wouldn't remember them because the author just launches into the story here without as much as a previously on to refresh the audience with the story and cast. This works against the story from the very beginning, because unless the reader just finished the first book, it's all a very confusing game of catch up.

Basically Mockingjay

Adding to that confusion is a weird round of c/k name games. Kilorn, Cal, Cameron, Corros, Corvium, Ketha... I mean, the author's head is obsessed with these sounds and it does the reader no favors in distinguishing these characters and places from one another.

To further confuse you, Aveyard spends the first half of the book in action sequences that are also pretty chaotic and don't do much for the story. I get that the author is a screenwriter and these scenes probably would look great on film but she needs to learn to write them for readers instead of directors. As if sensing that the first half is all action, she overcorrects and spends most of the rest of the book with exposition. It doesn't balance out the book; it makes it a slog to read as info dump after info dump weight down the already-too-thin story. Seriously, there's maybe only 80 pages of storyline here stretched into 440+ pages.

As others have already said, this series gets less and less original as it goes on. Glass Sword borrows heavily from the disappointing finale to the Hunger Games series. I know: Looking for originality in YA these days is fruitless, but one can hope, can't they? And the villain, Maven, is basically Joffrey Baratheon.

(view spoiler)

Look, I love the cover of this book and the first one, but there doesn't seem more to this series other than a pretty face anymore. I'm sorry, but Aveyard is going to squeeze this thing into at least 2 more books but I doubt there is any juice left. So I give up on this once-promising series.

Katerina
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dystopia

I would be more than willing to be the one who shatters you and stomps on your pieces, insufferable lightning girl!

I swear I have no idea how I managed to finish Glass Sword. I'm not saying this because I found the plot slow like I read on many reviews, or because it suffered from second-book-syndrome, but because for the first time in my life
Cody
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Glass Sword picks up straight after the explosive ending of Red Queen. Mare and Cal are now with the Scarlet Guard but that doesn’t mean they’re safe, far from it. They're being hunted down by Maven, who is now the King of Norta. The race is on to find these so-called ‘New Bloods’: Reds who possess the powers of Slivers, the only question is, who will get to them first; Mare or Maven?

It’s really hard to talk about Glass Sword without giving away spoilers but anyway the whole point of the book is to t
Ben Alderson
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
YES YES YES..

One of the best sequels...
Not going to spoil it.. but yes!
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)

This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

Rating: 4.5/5

Holy hell, that ending. That last chapter. That last sentence.

Glass Sword was one of my most anticipated 2016 reads and it completely lived up to the hype, making it a fantastic sequel to Red Queen.

Without giving away spoilers, Glass Sword started right in the action, basically right where Red Queen left off. The main focus of Glass Sword is to search for and recruit others like Mare Barrow for the uprising against/>Glass
Dorreh
May 17, 2015 rated it liked it
It's actually more of a 3.5. I just can't make up my mind about how I feel.

Warning: review must be read till the ending to understand the stars...........

I'm not sure what made me feel negative towards this book from the beginning. I guess you really shouldn't read the reviews for a book before you've read it yourself, especially if you're planning on reading the book either way. Since I opened the first page I had a sense of distaste towards it, that continued until page
| ARC kindly provided by Orion Publishing Group via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you a lot! |

description

Blurb: Mare Barrow’s blood is red—the color of common folk—but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control.
The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from Maven, the prclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Ally
Feb 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
£10.99 for a paperback?!

description

Completely and totally not worth the money. Luckily I borrowed a copy. I could not bring myself to spend money on this and boy am I glad I went with my instincts on this one. What a fucking terrible book.

I'm really not exaggerating when I say I hated this. I strongly disliked Red Queen but there were enjoyable moment
Cookie
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I AM WAITING FOR THIS BOOK.

Oh, and while Maven is interesting as a villain, he is no Darkling (my poor poor baby). With that said, I'm TEAM CAL ALL THE WAY BABY. YA GOTTA LOVE AN HONORABLE AND POWERFUL MAN IN UNIFORM.

Edit:

A little opinion of mine on why Maven will never be in the same category as the Darkling or Warner.

The Darkling is a villain who believes with all his heart that he is saving the Grisha and freeing the population from a tyrant (sadly he doesn't see that he's become a tyrant himself in the procesEdit:
A
Jeff
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
@#%*$#@**!%#*$#*
Ahem, thank you for bearing with me for that little intro.

Now. Let me just get this straight.
The first book was AMAZING. Superb even.
But this book? What a bummer.
You know when you have a balloon and it slowly loses it's air? The noise it makes? Like:
pphlllllttttgggghhhhhhh....
That was me this entire time. In the beginning, I was like "OMG, this book is going to be great!" But then, later on, I'm just kind of like "meh."
Anyway,
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"If I am a sword, I am a sword made of glass, beginning to shatter."
This book ruined my life.

I HATED it.

But I LOVED it all the same.

I know that people either hate or love Red Queen but I really do believe that this series is slowing becoming its own. Red Queen was far from original and I still had lots of X-Men and Hunger Game vibes while reading Glass Sword but I still enjoyed this book nonetheless and I'm really looking forward to seeing this series evolve even m
Sana
I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I ca ...more
Nasom
May 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, dystopian
Full Review

Finally done with this mess. This is the most boring book I have read in my life and I rather watch paint try. An annoying main character did not help either.

Shoutout to Maven's bish for suffering with me. Almost DNF a lot of times but held on because of this buddy read.

I’ve never 1 stared a book. I usually DNF books that I’m not enjoying but I kept reading this especially because people told me it gets better at the end but the end wasn’t enough for me to rate this book an
Pearl Angeli
Gripping, intense, and an achingly beautiful comeback. This sequel to the Red Queen is Victoria Aveyard at her very best!

Sequels have always been very crucial in a series because they can either be a success, a failure, or in between. Thankfully, this sequel fell to the success side.

description

Red Queen ended up with a promise. Glass Sword started off by fulfilling that promise.

It's actually hard not to love this book because first
Beth
DNF at 64%, page 286

Just to pre-warn everyone, I'm in a bit of a ranty mode.

I've finally had to call it quits. I just feel so let down by Glass Sword after Red Queen was so good. Understandably after the way things turned out in the first book, it had to change direction. But how much it did, I just wasn't impressed. This book had so much potential. It's taken me FIVE days to read nearly 300 pages. That isn't like me at all.

My issues with this book are solely around Mare... I just didn't l/>Just
~Poppy~
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Anyone, anything, can betray anyone. Even your own heart.”

-In the entire book, Mare was annoying. How all the heroines I read lately are so stupid? I understand she feels betrayed for what Maven did but....but ...... She kisses Cal and then she thinks Maven....

“I miss him,” I whisper, enable to hold Cal’s gaze. “I miss who I thought he was.”

- Kilorn is in love with Mare... I knew it.. He is a nice guy but noooo... #teamCal forever <3
“Anyone, anything, can betray anyone. Even your own heart.”

- Shade and Farley
I wanted more of their relationship! I shipped it so hard and then Shade died???

-I think Farley is pregnant because she touched her stomach and Jon said that the answer to her question is "yes".

-Finally, Elara is dead :P

- I hope Ptolemus would die too!!! How dare he kill Shade? He will pay for this!!!

- P.S. I love Cal <3 He was so brave and sweet. Mare, why you can't see what's right in front of you?

“If I could speak, I would tell Cal that I'm sorry, that I love him, that I need him."

Just tell him already!!

- I hope Mare choose who she wants in King's Cage or I will lose my mind!!!

Katerina Kondrenko
9.5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
The Spiritual Machines – Couldn't Stop Caring
Thatwork)
Living A Thousand Lives (please use Chrome/Yandex browser or Android/IOS to see the page; otherwise, spoiler-tags I use to make my post compact may not work)

Short-Soundtrack:
The Spiritual Machines – Couldn't Stop Caring
That Winter, The Wind Blows – Blind Love
Tyrone Wells – Remain

Genre: fantasy, dystopia, YA
Stuff: civil war, war, superpowers, usurper, Silvers vs. Reds
WOW: writing-style, relationships between characters
POV: 1st-person, female
Love-Geometry: seeming

Quote-Core: "We seem weak because we want to."

Can I just say that this book is the most unexpected thing I've read in this year? I liked Red Queen, I did, but there were flaws and holes, and between 'like' and 'love' is an abyss. Now listen, I loved Glass Sword. I didn't plan to, my heart was closed, but Victoria rose red as the dawn, and I fell in awe with an ache in my chest. If she would improve herself further, I don't know what we'll get with the last book in this series. A heart-attack, maybe?

This installment picks up right there the previous one ended: we are underground and we try to escape Maven's evil grip. The first chapter (which you could already read) is a chaos, mist and what's-going-ons, but hold on tight, this is only the beginning. Glass Sword would let us see more of Scarlet Guard, we'll fly, we'll meet newbloods with bad-ass powers, we'll fight, we'll win, we'll lose and so on. This book is an action and emotion-packed one. Yes, you've heard me right. Emotions. I hadn't any intention to shift at my seat or passing across the room, or screaming at characters, swoon over them, be afraid or happy, or sad. But Victoria wrote her book with so intense words... There's a soul between the pages.

It's a shame I can't show you any quotes, rules are rules and I have to wait until February. Though maybe that's better this way, 'cause every page is a twist. Twist upon twist. Don't forget about anyone can betray anyone. Beware.

We know that second books in series are often a bit of meh. I thought it would be the same with Glass Sword. Boring recruiting, games with Maven, ruined love-ship with Cal, Kilorn's presence, Guards... I considered these things boring. Boy was I wrong. Yes, this book is its genre's child and you can predict the plot's frame, but what lies in between is always an ocean of choices and possibilities. You would be soothed with delusory familiar passing, but this is what Victoria needs to clap her hands near your ear and make you jump when you least expect it. Anything can happen with anyone (yes, now I love to use such constructions, haha).

Romantic line would be so subtle! But if you look closer, you'd get burned from the heat that is there. Everyone, who knows me well, is aware of which prince is my fav. It's Cal and there will be enough of this fire man in Glass Sword. His ship with Mare isn't that broken, but it's not a whole boat either. These two made me suffer and happy and crazy and so much more at the same time. The thing they shared is a beauty itself. They are my OTP and that's it.

Mare have changed. Now she is strong, reasonable, ruthless and willing to do something, to help her nation, to avenge herself. Not at the start, but she would get how tangled life is, how hard to tell allies from enemies, how impossible to please everyone or to save every single person, how high the price of revolutions is. I'm not sure whether I like her or not. Yet. But I admire her sometimes. I see why she does what she does. The only thing I would never forgive her is Cal. One wrong word, one wrong move and I'm ready to smack this girl with a chair. All of us has some flaws, Mare's biggest one are double-standards. What is allowed to others isn't allowed to Cal. Until the end I was waiting for the tiniest sign, which could show me her true feelings for him, if there were some to begin with. I speak not about kisses or even words... I needed an act, a metaphor. Did I get one? Oh, you'll see.

Cal... my beloved exiled prince. He was left with nothing. They took his past (mother, the way he saw things), his present (father, home, power), his future (throne, which would never be his even with Maven being defeated), but he didn't become weak or a rude bastard. Hated among Silvers, hated among Reds. They accused him in all the bad things Silvers made to Reads, they punched him with fists and words, but he stayed still, he didn't hurt them back, he didn't leave. Why? Oh, don't tell me you have no idea why. And after such acts of his... I fell for him so hard that I broke some bones of mine. He's a MAN. Even Mare was bitching him sometimes, but he never did the same in reward. People didn't get how he felt himself, what he had lost, that every war has both than one truth, both sides have their own versions of event, their own reasons. And he didn't press his vision on them, he was helping those people, he was grateful and nice. I can't tell you more without spoilers, I just wanna make you feel how I love this boy. If Maven is a man of his word, then Cal is man of his act.

Well, Maven... our Darkling-ish little bitch. Forget the boy you may love in Red Queen and meet a new one: cold, calculating, merciless, cruel, obsessive. Yes, obsessive with Mare. He wanted her dead not a long time ago, but now he wants simply... her. And the throne, of course. Maven won't be an often guest on Glass Sword's pages but he would be always there. Nor Mare, neither Cal would be able to forget the boy they loved (or, in Mare's case, was ready to love) so soon. They would ache for Maven who wasn't exist to begin with. Thus he would remain in their thoughts, between their bodies, inside their hearts. While his physical self would try to hunt them down. Goosebumps...

Other characters were great as well. I loved Mare's brothers, especially Shade. Loved even Farley, though I wasn't her fan before. It was good to see more people with different abilities, to see more of the world-building, to learn more secrets. Now I know how wide Victoria's plan is, how far her imagination is going to march. I would be there to touch it, to taste it and to enjoy.

Again, I wanna praise the writing-style. At some moments I was weeping so hard... my mother, who set next to me, was shocked. Maybe it's me and my sensitive nature, but I think it's Victoria words and how she tells her story. I swear people, you have to be ready.

The final had blown my mind. I didn't know I would give the book around 10 stars until the very last page. It was 8 then 9, then 8 or 9, and then BOOM 9.5 STARS. My heart was pounding, my mouth was open and my eyes were swollen from tears while I was suddenly sure what to do, how to rate and didn't know how to survive 'til the next book. Victoria, what have you done? *cries again*

Red Queen (Алая королева):
Queen Song (Песнь королевы) #0.1/4
Steel Scars (Стальные шрамы) #0.2/4
Red Queen (Алая Королева) #1/4
Glass Sword (Стеклянный меч) #2/4
King's Cage (Королевская клетка) #3/4
— Untitled (Без названия) #4/4
Candace
The second book in the series, 'Glass Sword' picks up where 'Red Queen' left off. Mare and Cal are on the run with The Scarlet Guard, as they regroup and plan their next move. It doesn't take long for this story to get more complicated once they begin their missions to save the other "new bloods" and bring down the king.

Although this time around Mare and Cal seemed to grow closer, there still wasn't enough romance for me. I enjoyed the action and adventure, but I craved a deeper, mor
Giselle
All things considered, this is a book I should like. A book I would gobble up in one sitting and ask for the next one in a hurry, but I can't. I am so annoyed. The pacing for me was too weak at points because I found myself skimming over some paragraphs just trying to read it faster than normal.

I was irritated with Mare the main character the whole time. It could be due to the fact that she keeps repeating how much of a weapon she is, and how she will destroy the world if she release
Pouting Always
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After Mare and Cal manage to escape execution, Maven begins to relentlessly hunt them. Which wouldn't be so bad if they were going to stay on the secured island they're hiding out at, courtesy of the Scarlet Guard, but alas there is the problem of the New Bloods. Mare and Cal must race against Maven to get to the New Bloods before he can kill them, as well as figure out a place to keep and train them. The two also must try to deal with the fall out from Maven's betrayal and their feelings for on ...more
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
4.5 Kneel or Bleed ★'s

“I am a weapon made of flesh, a sword covered in skin. I was born to kill a king, to end a reign of terror before it can truly begin.”

“It isn't hard to let people die when their deaths give life to something else.”

OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. That freaking ending!!!

Anyways, We'll get back to that. It basically starclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
“It

• The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)
  • A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
I'm a screenwriter/YA author who likes books and lists. This site is the nexus of my universe.

My book RED QUEEN will be published Winter 2015 from HarperTeen at HarperCollins. I'm repped by the incomparable Suzie Townsend at New Leaf Literary & Media, Inc.

The genres I'm into include YA, Fantasy, Historical, Adventure, Apocalyptic - if people are dying, I'm buying.

Red Queen (4 books)
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • King's Cage (Red Queen, #3)
  • War Storm (Red Queen, #4)
“No one is born evil, just like no one is born alone. They become that way, through choice and circumstance.” 597 likes
“If I am a sword, I am a sword made of glass, and I feel myself beginning to shatter.” 570 likes