Start by marking “The Neptune Challenge (The Neptune Project, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Neptune Challenge (The Neptune Project, #2)

The Neptune Challenge

(The Neptune Project #2)

Danger lurks beneath

Genetically engineered to survive in the ocean, Nere and her friends are recovering from their long, treacherous journey to refuge and settling in at Safety Harbor. Despite its name, plenty of dangers still lurk just outside the colony's boundaries. When two among them are kidnapped, the remaining Neptune kids and their loyal dolphins must set out on a
Paperback
Published May 19th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Neptune Challenge, please sign up.
Mauriella THERE IS! Go onto the Polly Holyoke website and go to home and there it is. Or go on insta and see her book writing post.
Amelia Nere is with Dai and Tobin is with Shadow…moreNere is with Dai and Tobin is with Shadow (less)

Start your review of The Neptune Challenge (The Neptune Project, #2)
Deana Dick
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the author and Texas Bloggers for Texas Authors for an honest review.

After being genetically altered to to survive in the ocean, Nere, her family and others have succeed in living in a place called Safety Harbor. Nere has a special bond with the Dolphins and are a vital part of her life. Everything seems to be going smooth in this new enchanted place she calls home. But tranquility is not to last for long.

A kidnapping has occurred and Nere and her friends
Pam Bennett
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic, fast paced adventure from Polly Holyoke. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Surely, Mrs. Holyoke, there will be a third book. Right?! Looking forward to sharing it with all my kids!

A special thank you to Mrs. Holyoke for giving away copies at TLA before the release date. It was the highlight of the conference for me.
Cathy
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bravo Poly Holyoke on a fantastic sequel to Neptune Project! This was a fast paced read that kept me riveted to the book! I can't wait to share this book with my friends and students!
Scott S
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book The Neptune Challenge by Polly Holyoke is a riveting story of Nere Hanson saving her friends. The book starts with Nere, a teenage girl, friends being kidnapped. Nere and the remainder of her friends plan to set off on a dangerous journey to find her friends, but first she must pass a test showing she is capable of taking care of herself. Holyoke’s main message is if you can take it you can make it. Nere goes through many challenges throughout the book, hence the title, The Neptune ...more
Kate
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable sequel. The first book led well into this book. Even the villains were fleshed out and rounded characters. Everything ties up at the end, but not too neatly. The ultimate villain gets away. I like how the dangerous mutants in the previous book were the allies and friends in this one.

Nere's relationship with her father was realistic. I like how things aren't just wonderful between them even at the end. Relationships are hard, and when trust is damaged so badly, it takes time
ImFromJaJaLand
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Went downhill fast after the first book
Eleanor Maddock
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nicole Donald
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought this was a great book. I loved finding out more about Kuron and his neck of the woods. I want to find out what happened to Idaine, though. Did Kuron kill her or what? I loved meeting all the new characters. I thought it was interesting how they were all part different animals. I really liked Shadow. I thought (view spoiler) I hope that they will be able to use the C-plankton. I REALLY WANT ...more
Miranda
I didn't like this one as well as the first. I'm not a big fan of Lo/High books (I know they work great with some readers, but they drive me crazy), and this reads similar to one of those. I didn't get a lot of character developement, and the action didn't quite work for me. Overall, I know there are those who will really enjoy this, but it wasn't for me.

Andrea
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Emily Anderson
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book I read was the Neptune challenge by Polly Holyoke. This is the second book of the Neptune Project series. The main character is Nere and her friends that she meets along the way. This book is about these kids who were genetically engineered in a way so they would be able to live under the water. These kids have already escaped the government swimming thousands of miles of water to their Safety Harbor or a place that they will live. They have gone through many difficult tasks facing ...more
Rachel
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
*Spoilers*

I felt like this series was trying very hard to be the Hunger Games, and it certainly felt that way in some instances. In fact, because of that, I've wanted very badly to enjoy this series, but I won't be continuing it. Sadly. Despite the strong similarities to the Hunger Games and Dark Life, it fell flat.

I dislike how YA authors insist on glamorizing borderline abusive relationships. Dai was aggressive with Nere and nearly hurt her in the first book and all throughout that book and
Elizabeth
The first book in the series was good. Not the most amazing book ever, but good. It had an interesting concept, some decent action, and a compelling enough plot that I wanted to read the second book.

This one was just BORING. It took 200 pages for anything to happen, I didn't feel any connection to most of the characters, and I was really ready for it to end well before it did. Two stars for the fact that none of the main characters died. I think I'm done with this series.
Meredith
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. I absolutely LOVED the first one, it's one of my favourite books of all time, and this sequel definitely lived up to my expectations. I loved everything about this book. The characters, the relationships between the characters, the descriptions and writing style. Polly Holyoke is an amazing author, and her and her books are so high up on my favourites. I can't wait to read The Neptune Promise!
Emily
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a good book because it is how Nere and here friends suvive in the ocean. They come across other people from other groups and doge potroll people that are trying to kill them. When they do make it to her dad's colony where they will live the rest of her life she is happy to see her dad. She had missed him and so it is a happy part of the book. This book does leave off at a cliff hanger.
Mauriella
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Neptune Challenge is the most amazing , creative and suspenseful book I have ever read. Seriously, people who live under the water in the future, no other plot can get more creative and unique than that.The writing is written in the perfect way to add on to the suspense. The Neptune Challenge is a awesome book with a twist of romance for all ages.
Mr
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved reading this book. While I typically don't care much for novels with slight elements of romance in them, I felt uniquely riveted to this book in a way that is quite unusual. The author has made a world so real that I could live in it. I can live Nere's adventures. I can't wait to find the third book!
CaitlinTobin
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting sequel to The Neptune Project. It can be easy to mix up some of the characters in the sequel, but overall, a fun read.

Set in the future after climate change has heated the Earth's temperatures and water levels have risen, a group of teens has been scientifically engineered to live under water. Great choice for middle or high school students who like dystopian/futuristic literature.
Cassie Bolton
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK ITS JUST AS GOOD AS THE FIRST WHICH IS RARE AND IM SO GRATEFUL FOR THAT LOVE LOVE LOVE EVERYTHING YESYESYES all the characters are so real and unique but they all fit together and it is the most beautiful series ever
Phil Plunkett
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

This is a must read. It has a great hook and keeps you holding on all the way through. I 200% recommend this book!!!!!!!
Gillie
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The best series I've ever read! ...more
Grant
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best book I ever read!!!
Catherine ~All for the greater glory of God~
Notable Content: A scene of physical bullying that's hard to read.

Rating: 3.5 stars.

Better pacing and more bearable romance than the last book.
Sara Kriesel-Hall
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a recommendation by my daughter. It was an enjoyable read and prefect for tween audience.
Clean Books
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-books, fantasy
This book is as good as the first book "The Neptune Project". I would suggest this to any reader too. It is a clean and good book to read. And maybe even a little better than "The Neptune Project".
Rob Snyder
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid second installment. Good pace and a well told adventure.
Ashleyd
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy (Hopefully)
Ages: 11-14
Melanie Williams
I love this book!!

I love this whole series, and it's impossible not to fall in love with the characters!!! Plenty of action and drama, along with a bit of wit to satisfy any taste.
Nicole Chang
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So amazing. I want a third book to this great series.
Tangled in Text
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little lost in the beginning trying to figure out the previous story, as it kept referencing back to events that had happened in the first book, thinking they would hold a large spot in the second book. It definitely would have been a better read if I would have read both, but I wanted to see if this would be a good standalone first. It seemed like they assumed you already knew everyone as they breezed through the introductions to about a dozen dolphin names and another dozen spliced ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
The Neptune Project: Characters 1 8 Jan 13, 2016 08:11AM

• Dead City (Dead City, #1)
  • Rogue Wave (Waterfire Saga, #2)
  • Disney in Shadow (Kingdom Keepers, #3)
  • Sent (The Missing, #2)
  • Power Play (Kingdom Keepers, #4)
  • Origin (Corpus, #1)
  • Disney at Dawn (Kingdom Keepers, #2)
  • Sabotaged (The Missing, #3)
  • Island of Silence (Unwanteds, #2)
  • Island of Dragons (Unwanteds, #7)
  • Eggs
  • The Candymakers (The Candymakers, #1)
  • Island of Graves (Unwanteds, #6)
  • Spy Camp (Spy School #2)
  • Flashback (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #7)
  • Island of Shipwrecks (Unwanteds, #5)
  • Dark Tide (Waterfire Saga, #3)
  • Disney After Dark (Kingdom Keepers, #1)
Polly Holyoke is the author of THE NEPTUNE CHALLENGE (2015) and THE NEPTUNE PROJECT (2013), which has been named to state reading lists in TX, MD, FL, HI and OH and to Bank Street's 2014 Best Children's Books of the year. THE NEPTUNE PROJECT won Florida's Sunshine State Young Reader's Award, and THE NEPTUNE PROMISE will release Dec. 1, 2017.

A former teacher, Polly loves doing school visits and

The Neptune Project (3 books)
  • The Neptune Project (The Neptune Project, #1)
  • The Neptune Promise (The Neptune Trilogy #3)
“:So then my dad decided to make me a new pair. He spent forever gluing some rhinestones on an old set of lab goggles, but the goggles made me look like a human fly with bulging eyes. Dad was so proud of them, I wore the horrible things to school every day and took them off the moment I got inside. Then I walked around squinting. I was so relieved when a wave knocked the goggles off our zode into the water, and I begged Mariah not to find them for me.:” 2 likes
“It almost looks like… I take several steps toward the shore. It is Dai!” 1 likes