Jump to ratings and reviews
A new adult romance from Entangled’s Embrace imprint… Love burns hotter the second time around…

Two years ago, the medical world was shaken by scandal, and Payton Daniels's family was at the center of it. The second she graduated, Payton left everything behind―her high school sweetheart, her family, and the controversy surrounding her mother's death—and hid within the anonymity of college. But Payton’s ex, Blake Hiller, hasn't forgiven her for leaving, and when he enrolls in the same medical ethics class, she panics. She can’t run the risk of him telling everyone who she really is. As if being at the same university isn’t enough, both Blake and Payton land the same internship. Forced together, their passion for each other reignites, but when Payton is asked to testify in her father’s high-profile trial, she must choose between risking her acceptance into medical school to help her father, and losing every connection to her past—including the only guy she’s ever loved.

250 pages, ebook

First published September 30, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jennifer Blackwood

13 books1,359 followers
Jennifer Blackwood is a USA Today bestselling author of contemporary romance. She lives in Oregon with her husband, son, and poorly behaved black lab puppy. When not chasing after her toddler, you can find her binging on episodes of Gilmore Girls and Supernatural, and locking herself in her office to write.

Come visit me on social media!
Twitter: @jen_blackwood
FB: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJennif...
FB Fan page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/15412...
**Want to know about her latest books and giveaways? Sign up for her mailing list! http://eepurl.com/ZVfOX

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
120 (10%)
1 star
40 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 196 reviews
Profile Image for Beverly.
1,005 reviews801 followers
LIVE http://www.amazon.com/Unethical-Entan...

3 Stars

At eighteen, Payton had her life mapped out: medical school, marry her high school sweetheart, Blake, and live happily ever after. Her world came crushing down when her mother passes away and her father is at the center of the controversy. Lost and needing to escape, Payton runs away to Florida.

Blake never knew the last minute trip to Mexico with his cousin when shape the rest of his life, but when he returns home to learn his girlfriend's mother died and she has left, he knows things will never be the same.

Two years later, out of money Payton returns home and enrolls in the local college. While it is safe to say Payton hasn’t truly moved on she has done everything in her power to distance herself from her father, even going as far as to change her name.

So when Payton sees the only guy she has ever loved again, she knows everything is at risk: her medical scholarship, identity, and heart.

I usually second chance at love story, but was disappointed with the back and forth. Being able to see both points of view, and knowing their thoughts increased my frustration with the way things weren’t progressing.

I did not enjoy the inner dialogue from both characters, it felt redundant. Especially when they did the exact opposite of their thoughts. I think the intent was to build angst or sexual tension, but it did neither for me. It actually had the opposite effect, and I grew extremely frustrated.

In the end, I think this book could work for some people, I just didn’t love how the couple went back and forth, I felt like a lot of time was wasted.

ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Claire.
2,303 reviews704 followers
October 15, 2014
2.5 -Shows Promise Stars.

Unethical is the first work I have read by this author, and while the storyline showed a lot of potential it didn’t quite hit the mark for me for several reasons.

I am a big fan of the second-chance trope, and I also love a dual POV as it gives you a chance to get into the heads of the main characters and get the developing story from several perspectives. But unfortunately I found the POV a little overly done at points, and a lot of their inner monologue seemed pointless as on many, many occasions both Payton and Blake then went off and did the opposite of what they were thinking. I also had to keep reminding myself that these two were in their early twenties and not mid-teens a few times, as their behavior, actions and reactions bordered on juvenile.

I think the second-chance aspect of the story suffered a little due to a lot of erroneous side-plotting, but the story line with Payton’s father, I felt didn’t have enough time spent on it. In the main I think things that needed further development seemed to be overlooked, but then things that didn’t seem particularly important were totally overdone.

Jennifer Blackwood definitely shows a lot of promise with this book, although it didn’t work 100% for me this time, I would certainly look too read her future work, the writing is sound, and I think there is an awful lot of potential just waiting to be tapped into.

ARC generously provided via Netgalley, in exchange for the above honest review.
Profile Image for ✿kawehi.reviews.
1,453 reviews410 followers
October 9, 2014
☆ I received an ARC via GCR Book Tours + the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ☆

3.5 "it's just me" stars!!

Unethical was a mixed read for me. On one hand, I liked it, and the other, I was a tad floundered bit floundered by the excecution.

Going into it, I was initially pumped about a new and out of the box type of concept that Ms. Blackwood raises. Come on, a medical scandal of physician assisted suicide between husband and wife? What a bold and 'ballsy' topic to bring forth in a story!

Sadly though, I just did not connect with the writing entirely.

While I do appreciate Jennifer doing a terrific job on capitalizing on the subject's moral ethics and illustrating the outlash and scorn that poor Peyton has to experience because of it, I just did not feel as if the implementation of this story went in the direction I had hoped for.

I mean, I do get Peyton's trauma from the ordeal and her whole unresolved issues with ex boyfriend, Blake. I really do.

I just didn't get why the story felt so anti-climatic and disappointing for me and why the secondary characters just felt like unneeded fillers.

I guess what I am getting at, is that everything from the tone of the book, to the plot venture and character personalities just didn't click for me.

It's not like it's a bad book, because it's not. It’s just personal taste is all. I’m sure many of you will love it and so I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a read that deals with second chances at love, some angst, medical lingo, and a sprinkle of lightheartedness!

Much love and good luck on your book adventures Ms. Blackwood!!♥
Profile Image for Mandy.
1,504 reviews217 followers
October 17, 2014
3.5 stars for this angsty second-chance romance! Payton is a pre-med student who is running from her past and a family scandal. Blake is the ex boyfriend she left behind when she ran away and he just happens to be in her medical ethics class. He knows her secrets and who she really is. I enjoyed the idea behind this book and the storyline with Payton's dad - it was really interesting and unique. A couple of issues I had with this book were more personal preference - it was way too angsty for me, I hated Andrew and I am not sure how much I really liked Payton. I also didn't really feel the connection between Payton and Blake as much as I would've liked- they seemed to go back and forth too much. However, I really did enjoy the steamy scenes! Overall, I think this was a good story and I look forward to reading more by this author.

**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**
Profile Image for Patty .
818 reviews368 followers
August 31, 2015
*Originally posted on Bookish Wanderlove.*

**I received an advanced copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars

Opening Lines
"What did a homeless man, an AIDS victim, and a man in an
orange jumpsuit have in common?
Well, one of them was ruining my life.
I was about to find out how the other two were connected
once the professor began his lecture."

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out if I've ever read anything like Unethical before, but I don't think I have. I found Unethical to be a very unique and interesting read. I wasn't really sure what to expect when I first started this, would this be a wanna-be Grey's Anatomy? Private Practice? Nurse Jackie? Or maybe Mercy? Nope. While this is a medical drama, and boy did it have it's share of being on the dramatic side of things, I didn't find myself comparing anything to any of the previous television shows I mentioned.

I was a little worried that all the medical lingo would go completely over my head but I didn't find myself to be overwhelmed. Not only did Jennifer Blackwood do her research on the medical field but she touched on a topic that raising a lot of questions and scrutiny. I'm not going to give anything away (you'll have to read to find out) but the "scandal" with Payton's family really makes you stop and think. Which I loved because I wasn't really expecting a book that would make me reflect and second guess my views on certain things.

The romance, and Blake in general was swoon worthy! I loved the development between them and the sexual tension. But not only does Unethical focus on second-change romance, it also focuses on Payton having the opportunity at having a second-chance of living her life. As much as I liked the characters I found I spent time trying to figure out if Payton had a spilt personality. Going back and forth between being edgy and cautions to being an extreme flirt kind of gave me whip lash. I think Payton's portrayal of trying live a little could have been described better so that it didn't feel like two separate characters but one.

Overall, Unethical was an original and interesting read. I enjoyed my first medical drama and it's made me curious to see what else is out there. As an debut author, I think Jennifer Blackwood did a pretty good job. It read easily, which was extremely surprise for an ARC edition. I would have preferred a better tie up of things involving Andrew and Jules. Who knows, maybe Andrew will have his redemption in the next book? All I know is I want there to be a next book!
Profile Image for Nicola.
1,393 reviews241 followers
October 12, 2014
Second chance love, med students, a family scandal. Unethical sounded like a unique New Adult read and in many respects it was, but on the whole, I found it average.

Payton Daniel's has experienced terrible personal heartache but is determined to become a doctor which leads her in to the path of Blake Hiller, her first love and the man who knows her secret. When they find themselves in the same medical ethics class, internship and friend circle, it becomes evident neither have forgotten their feelings.

There were two sticking points for me. The first being the immaturity of the characters; considering they are 20/21 and studying towards a medical degree, some of their actions were more akin to a young adult read. And secondly what I thought would be the major storyline involving Payton's Dad seemed skirted around; time taken up with too much to-ing and fro-ing between our couple and smaller side stories being scattered in, seemingly hinting towards something bigger, yet fizzling out - Blake's Aunt for one.

I did like the dual perspective, it worked well, flowed well and gave a good insight into their history and re-ignited feelings, secondary characters brought content and the second half of the story brought much more emotion with it. The premise was there, it was just that personally I needed it to be more and felt opportunities to the storyline were missed.
Profile Image for sil ♡ the book voyagers.
1,003 reviews2,400 followers
December 1, 2014
THIS WAS SUCH A FUN READ. Beware of Jennifer Blackwood. She's coming at you with the cool stuff.

Review also found at: https://hopelessbooklovers.wordpress....

Jennifer Blackwood, you rock. I fell in love with the flow of the story and the story itself as well. Payton and Blake drew me into the story since page one. I always feel a little bit “neh” when stories of second-chance romance. Because if one of them did something wrong in the past, I really want them to grow from it, develop; I want them to do something that will make it all better.

This time around, Payton is the one leaving. She left her home, she left her boyfriend, and she left everything in order to escape from the big scandal of her father. I liked Payton from the start. Her inner thoughts were fun to read and her relationship with her best friend, Jules, was so cute and great. When she first sees Blake, I was like HOLY MOLY THERE HE IS.

Blake: I had a few problems with him. But he commits typical mistakes, and I kind of get how he feels in all of this. But the way he spoke about Payton in his mind when he was angry or something, threw me off a bit. Though it was obvious, his mind was speaking and not his heart. He loves Payton since that first time in high school, and she is his only love. THIS IS THE PART OF SECOND-CHANCE ROMANCE THAT I LOVE: the “you were my first and you will be my last even if many passed in between, you will be the one I will be with at the end.” Blake and Payton encountered again and Blake is so angry that she left him. That was a horrible move from Payton but Blake also made stupid mistakes when he was in his graduation trip. Stupid Blake.

In all of this, I really enjoyed the story and I am excited what everyone will think about it. Jennifer Blackwood did a wonderful debut novel that will surely make you feel all mushy inside.
Profile Image for Amy .
2,672 reviews
November 26, 2015
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Unethical follows the story of Payton Daniels. Payton's entire world is turned upside down by her mother's death and the scandal surrounding it. Two years later, Payton is in college pursuing a medical degree and just trying to move on. All is going well until she runs into her ex. She's terrified of him telling everyone who she really is and to make matters worse they share two classes together. Will Payton be able to move on and keep her past a secret? Will she be able to forgive her father and understand his actions? Will Payton be able to give Blake a second chance??

Unethical started off really well. I enjoyed the story-line and found it to be really unique. I liked how the author drew you in and made you question medical decisions that doctor's are faced with. This story was not just one of a second chance at romance, but also about Payton getting a new start and a second chance at her life.

Unfortunately, I had a really hard time connecting with Blake and Payton. Don't get me wrong, they had some really steamy, swoon-worthy moments that I really enjoyed. However, I would have liked to see how their issues from the past tore them apart and how they worked to get past it. I needed more passion, angst and fight from them.

I also would have liked to have seen more of Payton's roommate Jules. I thought she was an interesting character with a lot of potential.

Overall, i did like Unethical. Unethical was a quick and easy read for me. I liked the medical drama and the moral debate. It did have some good humor, angst, romance and drama. This is Jennifer Blackwood's debut novel and I think that she has a lot of great potential. I look forward to reading more from her in the future.

*An ARC copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Paula  Phillips.
4,759 reviews286 followers
October 20, 2014
As a fan of New Adult novels, I have read many and some are alright, other's are good and then you get the one's that fall into the category of awesome reads and Unethical by Jennifer Blackwood is one of those. At first , many may think that this book is another one of those college students/professor romances due to the title of Unethical. However, this is not one of those novels. The title is taken from the main college class in the book "Intro to Medical Ethics 101'. Two years ago , Payton Cooper had a loving family and boyfriend and then tragedy struck and tipped her family upside down and tore them apart. Her father Dr. Evan Cooper ended up in jail and she ran away from her boyfriend to start a new life at Drexler University studying Pre-Med using her mother's maiden name as her own. Payton Cooper became Payton Daniels - a clean slate where no-one knew her past. That is until she takes Medical Ethics and it seems her father is the class example of "What not to aspire too" and Blake - her ex-boyfriend also happens to be in the class. How long can Payton keep up appearances ? Has fate given her another chance at love with Blake ? Can Blake help Payton to move forth and forgive her father ? What will happen though when her past is revealed to the medical board ? Will she lose her chance at becoming a Doctor and a Medical Student because of the choice her parents made without her ?

Find out in this awesome book , that everyone should add to their to-read list "Unethical" by Jennifer Blackwood.

Profile Image for Danielle.
921 reviews131 followers
September 29, 2014
I LOVED this book. This was a fabulous debut from Jennifer Blackwood and I definitely can't wait to read more of her in the future. I was unable to put this book down. I pretty much devoured it in one sitting and all I can say is that it was fantastic and I want more.

From the very first page I was hooked. I just had to know what was going to happen with Payton and Blake. I loved these two and I couldn't wait for them to get back together. These two are so damn cute together and their love runs deep. I was on pins and needles waiting for them to finally admit their feelings for one another. There was so much heat and emotions flowing between these two. Gah it was just so good!

I loved this book and highly recommend it. Definitely looking forward to more from this author.
Profile Image for Jessica Alcazar.
3,861 reviews434 followers
October 22, 2015
So seriously, who doesn't love a second chance romance? Obviously me, because I tell you in every review! lol I really liked everything about this book. The angst and mystery of the past with the tension and sparks of today made for quite a page turner kids! For a debut novel, I gotta give Jennifer Blackwood serious props. It didn't read like a first time novel. It was thorough and well developed and written well. The dual POV is one of my favorites so HUGE props for that!
HIGHLY recommend this to everyone!
ARC provided via NetGalley by Entangled Publishing, LLC for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kari Napier.
248 reviews1 follower
November 17, 2022
I may have found a new romance author to invest in. Payton and Blake...such a good story !
Profile Image for Kari.
3,569 reviews84 followers
December 4, 2022
I wish I loved this more than I did. I usually like second chance romances. But this one was just OK. That was a serious lack of communication. A lot of things could have been cleared up with one conversation early on. There was also too much inner thoughts. I did like the ending, but the rest was just meh.

Profile Image for Tina.
612 reviews23 followers
October 24, 2014
There have been some pretty awesome new authors popping up this year, and Jennifer Blackwood is without a doubt on that list. Unethical is a fabulous debut novel and it makes me excited to see what more she has up her sleeve! Unethical is an incredible story of a second chance at love with a backdrop of controversy and heartache. This story begins with Payton diving into her studies in college. She is a focused and determined lady, wanting to be free from her past of hurt and heartache, and get into medical school. Yet fate has another idea for her. Her high school sweetheart, her first love, barges into her life and things take a nose dive, causing her to face her demons and deal with her past. As Payton and Blake attempt to restore a civil working relationship in class and work, it becomes obvious that the wounds left unhealed cannot be ignored. Once Payton begins to find her footing after the past invades her life, she is asked to risk her future for her dad, someone that she hasn’t allowed herself to think about or contact for over two years.
This book was a refreshing read. I do love a good second chance at love story but this one was bigger than that. The story-line deals with some hard subjects, ones that could leave you reeling, yet Jennifer is able to take some controversial subject matter and allow the reader to see both sides without judgement or hostility. She allows the controversial theme to add to the story but never overwhelm the reader. The relationship between Payton and Blake is complex and deep. They have so much that is left unsaid and so many emotions bottled up. They continue to push and pull until their breaking point is reached. I loved how this story was told in both Payton and Blake’s POV. It allows the reader to understand both sides of what happened two years ago, allow us to empathize with both parties and shake our heads at the miscommunication that took place. You are able to grieve at their heartache and celebrate their second chance at love.
Payton is such a strong female character. She brings life to the book. Her personality is determined and focused. She has dealt with more than any young woman should but she is a survivor, one who embraces what the future holds for her. Blake is the suave, handsome soon-to-be medical student that all the girls swoon over. His hurt is palpable in the story and you see the glaring truth that he wants to forget Payton, yet his heart will not listen to his anger. Their frustration and chemistry leaps off the page. As the reader, you are able to sympathize with both parties and hope for reconciliation and a second chance. This couple is endearing and frustrating, one that you cannot help but root for till the end.
One of my favorite story-lines was Payton’s path to healing and acceptance of what has happened and where she will go from there. Her relationship with her dad is destroyed and her mother is dead. She struggles to find her footing in a world that was ripped from her. She hides her true identity and wants to start over, forgetting what has happened. Yet you can never truly forget where you came from. She has to face her father and the past, making a decision that will determine her future. Her strength allows the reader to take a step back and wonder at what their actions would be. This book is more than a love story. It allows the reader to come to a personal conclusion and think of some issues that they would not normally ponder.
I can say without a doubt that Jennifer Blackwood will be an author to watch. Her writing style allows for the reader to explore an overwhelming subject in a non-threatening way, one that will allow introspection. She presents a love story that makes you root for the couple, wanting them to heal, knowing they are better together than apart. Unethical was fantastic debut!
Profile Image for Jen.
3,078 reviews
October 15, 2014
Note: This ARC was provided by Entangled Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"Unethical" is the first book in the "Drexler University" series and the debut novel of author Jennifer Blackwood. It's about two young people who were once very much in love but, both feeling betrayed for two different reasons, had their relationship come to an abrupt end. Now, they find themselves in the very same university as pre-med students, are thrown together in the same Medical Ethics class, and are up for the same internship. Will the fact that they're still both in love with each other allow them to have that second chance at forever or will the two years of bitterness after their split prevent them from finding happiness again?

Two years ago, Payton Daniels' life changed forever and she did the one thing she felt she needed to do: run away. She moved to a different state, changed her family name from Cooper to her mother's maiden name, and left behind her family and the only boy she had ever loved. She felt betrayed by her parents for keeping a secret from her and then by her boyfriend, believing that he wasn't there when she needed him the most.

Now, she finds herself keeping a secret of her own from her best friend, classmates, and professors. When she's faced with that secret in her Medical Ethics class, it takes everything within her to keep from reacting and letting people know. Then, she sees the one person who knows her and the past she's been running from--her ex-boyfriend and now-fellow pre-med student, Blake Hiller.

This was an engaging story about second chances, not just in romantic love but in life in general. Payton felt betrayed by the people she loved the most but her running away was a betrayal in itself, to the memory of her mother, to her father, and to Blake. When she learns of certain truths, her thinking and feelings begin to change as well but her tendency of running from the things that she can't handle is a bad habit that she seems she hasn't been able to rid herself of.

There were moments that Payton didn't exactly endear herself to me. For a smart girl, she had a habit of making some really bad choices. I wasn't sure who the real Payton was--the flirty, sometimes bordering on slutty, girl who was rubbing on one of the Blake's fraternity brothers, or the jaded and overly cautious girl who was simply trying to pursue her dream of becoming a doctor. Thankfully though, she seemed to finally make up her mind who the real Payton actually was within the last couple of chapters of the book.

"Unethical" was a good read, especially since it tackled a hot button issue like assisted suicide. It makes you pause and think about what your own personal views are on the subject and what you would do if you were in the same position as Payton's parents and if you would have reacted the same way that Payton did. The book had NA-related angst, drama, and some humor and I would gladly recommend it for NA fans who enjoy second chance stories and an honest-to-goodness good guy (for a change). ^.^ Four stars for "Unethical"!
Profile Image for Kelly.
712 reviews51 followers
October 21, 2014
A bit of fresh air is what I would say about this book. Yes, it is about second chances but the story is unique. Premed isn’t in most stories. And the scandal that rocked Payton’s world is different. Not many books would touch assisted suicides. Being a nurse myself, I was intrigued to say the least!

Payton’s mom was a lawyer, her dad a doctor. Payton’s mom died two years ago, she had cancer. Her dad is currently in jail for assisted suicide and awaiting trial. Payton is embarrassed. She changes her last name to her mother’s maiden name to avoid further humiliation and recognition. See, Payton wants to be a doctor and she fears rejection of med school if anyone would connect her to her father.

What she didn’t plan on was seeing Blake in the same class. He was the love of her life and she felt like he chose someone else over her after graduation. She, of course, doesn’t have all the facts. Because Blake still loves her deeply and would do anything to get her back. Even after she ran off the face of the planet when scandal hit her family right after graduation, he still wants her back.

Payton still loves Blake too. Jules is Payton’s best friend and roommate. Andrew is a manwhore, but goes after Payton. Blake can’t stand Andrew even though they are roommates. Blake wants to protect Payton from him. Then we have Payton’s ethics teacher; he wants to destroy her father’s name in her class. Payton is cringing.

What I loved about the book is the internal dialog in Blake and Payton’s head (we have both POV’s), it had me laughing at times and sometimes I wanted to slap Payton to get her to see everything instead of always running and not letting people in. Blake, yes please! That’s all I need to say on him!

I also loved the idea of the debate of assisted suicide. It doesn’t matter my opinion, it was just a new idea and a very touchy subject. The story flows smoothly. The characters are all believable. Some good and some bad.

Anyway, if you like something new, a little scandal, college, learning to stand up for yourself, second chances, family, and controversial subjects then this story might be for you!

Content: language and sex scenes.

I love Payton's inner turmoil...

"I just pretend things were back to normal? Explain why I hadn't contacted him in two years? How come nobody made a study guide for these types of situations? It could be like my MCAT textbook with multiple choice questions.
1. If subject X is visiting subject Y in jail for the first time in two years, what is the appropriate dialogue?
A. "Yo, daddio, long time no see. What's shakin'?
B. "I hate you for leaving me to fend for myself when I needed you the most."
C. "Orange is your color."
D. "I missed you so much. I love you." D. Definitely D. "I missed you.""
Profile Image for Kim.
2,435 reviews377 followers
November 17, 2014
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads .

I'm a sucker for a second chance story and, while Unethical might have been a bit angstier than I typically like my books, it was a good, quick read.

Payton is trying her best to move on from some pretty bad stuff in her past. Her dad is in prison, about to stand trial for helping her mother commit suicide while she was dying from cancer. She ran away from home after graduation and left everyone behind. Including Blake, the love of her life. He wasn't there when she needed him most, so she cut all ties and left him. Now she finds herself face-to-face with him at Drexler University, where they're both in med school. Can the old flame be reunited or has it been too long? Will her father's indiscretion keep her from her lifelong dream of med school? Will she ever repair her relationship with her dad? So many questions. So much drama.

I hate to admit, I never fully connected with the characters in this book. It wasn't that either of them were unlikable, but more that I had a difficult time relating to them as they made one bad decision after another, sometimes with what seemed like the intent of hurting one another. Payton was dealing with a lot, but she didn't make things any easier on herself. It was obvious she still loved Blake, yet she was pushing him away and dating one of his frat brothers (who was a real jerk). Blake kept his feelings for Payton hidden pretty well as he dated her roommate. That was all a bit much for me to deal with. Wanting to move on is one thing. Doing it with someone who you know will hurt the other person is cold. Don't get me wrong. It's not all bad. Payton and Blake can be quite sweet together when they let themselves.

One thing I really did enjoy about the book was the friendship between Payton and her roommate, Jules. With so many "girlfriends behaving badly" instances in books, I always applaud an author for showing true friendship. With the complications of Payton's past – both with her family and with Blake – it would have been easy to go down the frenemies path with Payton and Jules. Jules is a complicated character who is going through a lot herself during the course of Unethical. If this is the start of a standalone series, I hope the next book is about her. I'd love to know more about her.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Three Chicks.
2,592 reviews416 followers
October 11, 2014
Who doesn't love a second chance at love romance? These kinds of books are my guilty pleasure. Hands down my favorite to read. Guy meets girl, girl and guy have a great relationship, something messes it up, one of them pushes away, moves away- and years later they find each other again, and fall in love. Perfection. And this story was one of those!

Payton Daniels is trying to be a normal college medical student. But she can't escape the stigma of her father's betrayal. It follows her everywhere. Even in class. And after she leaves everything behind- I am talking about everything-friends, high school sweetheart, and her family- all because of the controversy about her mother. She tried to escape everything- but when her high school flame, Blake, shows up at her new university, she faces him head on. Blake Hiller is such a good book boyfriend. He is also a medical student and when he gets to his medical ethics class and he sees Payton- his world is flipped upside down. He is angry for the way she left him, but he still has the same emotions of love for the relationship they had together.

As if being in a class together isn't enough- they both bag the same internship and it forces the feelings that have been dormant to come to life. I really enjoyed the plot line, along with the fantastic characters. I loved Payton and Blake- they definitely belonged together. And this book was super angsty for me, for sure. There was a lot of back and forth between the two of them, but I knew they belonged together. I love a good dual POV, and Jennifer Blackwood did a fantastic job! Looking forward to more from this author.
Profile Image for Lia Riley.
Author 18 books771 followers
September 29, 2014
An engaging second chance love story that will hook you from page one. Payton Daniels's world was rocked from its foundation by a scandal that destroyed her family and scandalized the medical establishment. She left everything behind to seek a fresh start, cutting out boyfriend (who may or may not have betrayed her), Blake Hiller, in the process.

Out-of-state tuition proves to tough on the bank account so she's back home, and the pre-med student find herself in the same medical ethics class as her first love. Soon pulse rates are accelerating.

This book is a lovely blend of sweet and sexy with a dash of angst. Told in dual POV, Blackwood's voice captures Payton's emotional fragility as as well as her sass, and (the excellently drawn) Blake reveals himself to have surprising depth, even as he makes typical young guy blunders.

Backdropped against the looming specter of her father's high-profile trial, Payton navigates pain and uncertainty, but where the story really sparkles is the voice that never descends too dark, these aren't "poor me" characters. There are so many moments from cute "smile with a sigh" to laugh out loud funny. I realy enjoyed how the story twists and turns, starting with mutual dislike (I'm SUCH an enemies-to-lovers sucker), but has that delicious second chance YOU WERE ALWAYS THE ONE goodness at it's foundation.

This is an impressive debut, dealing with topical issues not common to NA. Be on the lookout for this author and I can't wait for the next installment in the Drexler series!
1,357 reviews32 followers
October 2, 2014
Since her father, Dr. Evan Cooper was sent to jail, Payton moved several times. Dr. Cooper is accused of unethical medical practices: the assisted suicide against Payton’s mother, who was terminally ill. In six months, his daughter Payton will be applying to medical school, so she changed her name at her current university; she now goes by Payton Daniels. In the 2 years since her mother’s death, Payton has not spoken to her father; she cannot forgive him.

Peyton had also broken up with her boyfriend Blake at that time, also a consequence of the incident. Blake has never stopped loving her, but he’s angry at her; she has not communicated with him either. Fate has them attending the same university. She begs him to keep her secret; nobody knows whose daugther she really is.

I was a bit disappointed; because of the title, I was expecting the story would have more to do with ethics; but it’s my fault really. UNETHICAL is a New Adult novel, about angtsy university students, but it’s excellent. The characters are very well rounded, and I really felt I was attending university along with them. But what impressed me the most is the quality of Ms. Balckwood’s writing.

UNETHICAL is told alternatively from Blake’s and Payton’s points of view, and I found it astounding how much the voices differed, how Blake’s reads as it really was told by a man, and Payton’s by a young woman. I have to admit though that my favourite character was Jules, Payton’s BFF: I just loved Jules and I would like to read her story in the future. Overall, it’s an excellent, modern novel.

Profile Image for Angie.
1,369 reviews107 followers
December 5, 2014
**I received an ARC through Netgalley courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**

Unethical started out well enough. I thought the concept was original. Payton is in graduate school(?)(States they're in grad school but the characters are only twenty years old). She's pre-med. She changed her last name because her father is in prison for the murder of Payton's mother. Turns out it's not as horrible as it sounds. But it's something pre-med students have to discuss so her father's name comes up a lot.

Not to mention, the ex-boyfriend Payton ran from the night her mother died is now attending the same college. What a coincidence! Now someone knows her secret.

I thought I could count on pre-med grad students being somewhat mature. Nope.

Payton is a runner, when things get too tough she bails. She's stubborn. She doesn't communicate. She's a terrible friend. Her father needs her and she just buries her head in the sand. For some reason Blake keeps chasing her. Let her go, man!

Along with Payton's family history and the second chance at romance there were also some underdeveloped side stories involving Jules and Andrew and "pharmaceuticals." And what ever came of Blake's portrait modeling job or his horrible aunt?

This book had potential but I don't feel like Blackwood dug deep enough. Meh.
Profile Image for Kari.
62 reviews3 followers
September 26, 2014
I straight-up LOVED this book.

What romance reader isn't at least a small fan of second chances? This book, though, this book wasn't just about second-chance-romance (SCR). It was SCR, with a sprinkling of mystery, a dash of sexual tension, a pinch of "oh no she didn't!" and a healthy dose of "awwwww!"

This was the kind of book that had me excited to read, the kind of book that convinced me to make hotdogs for my family for dinner (because cooking takes up valuable reading time, amirite?).

The characters were lovable (except Andrew, because f that guy). The conflicts weren't annoying, even though they tilted the dramatic scale (and that's saying something with this genre). The writing was enthralling, and even though this was an advanced copy, it read as though it were an already-published book.

I'm a fan. Seriously. A huge thank you to the author for writing this gem!!!

(A copy of this book was provided via netgalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC in exchange for an honest review.)
Profile Image for Jessica.
Author 46 books123 followers
October 20, 2014
I had the privilege of being a beta reader for this wonderful NA debut. I’m not one to rush to the romance section of a bookstore and pick up a romance book, but Blackwood’s genuine new adult voice and gripping story blew me away. This story embodies everything being a new adult is like—something refreshing to see in a book, being a new adult myself. Moreover, it has a brilliant female main character in Payton and, finally, a genuinely good guy in Blake. Oh, Blake <3. UNETHICAL is a breath of fresh air for new adult books, and an emotional roller coaster ride through Payton and Blake’s lives from start to finish.

If you’re looking for a fantastic new adult read with interesting, fresh topics like the controversy surrounding assisted suicide, this is the book for you. You will not be disappointed. I can’t wait to see more from Blackwood!

5/5 stars to UNETHICAL by Jennifer Blackwood!
Profile Image for Jennifer Blackwood.
Author 13 books1,359 followers
Read
January 30, 2015

***Bonus Chapters Opportunity***

Want more Blake and Payton? Want to know what really happened when Blake went to Mexico? Leave a review and you will receive two bonus chapters featuring these two!

After you leave a review, email the page link to unethicalthebook@gmail.com and Jennifer Blackwood will personally send you the bonus chapters.

Thank you so much for reading!

**Want to know about my latest books and giveaways? Sign up for my mailing list! http://eepurl.com/ZVfOX
Profile Image for Teri.
1,433 reviews2 followers
October 14, 2014
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley for a honest review.

This story was really dragged out and gets filed in my "boring" category.

I felt nothing for Payton. She had zero personality.

I was expecting so much more when it came to the reasons why they were upset with each other.

Dr. C - Wish there was more explanation for his opinions. Missed opportunity for a back story.

Best part of the book was the first frat party.
Profile Image for A D.
37 reviews6 followers
November 5, 2014
Unethical

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.......

So heart wrenching....

I fell in love with this book..... It was BEAUTIFUL..... I lived Payton and Blakes relationship........

I keep picturing them both as two hot doctors....... Even thought they aren't doctors, yet......

I recommend this book to anyone that loves college romance, mixed with second chances, and hot doctors to be......<3
Profile Image for Debbie Hughes.
186 reviews8 followers
December 3, 2014
Let me start by saying WOW! This book had me on page one and never slowed down. Extremely easy read and great flow. My heart broke as I watched Payton grow up and come to terms with the past. And love Blake for being a truly great guy.
Ms. Blackwood takes a very controversial topic and makes you see and understand all sides. Great Job! I feel like I was there with Payton as the fog cleared. Love happy endings and this book does not disappoint.
Profile Image for Athena.
360 reviews4 followers
February 22, 2015
2.5-3 Stars!

The basic story line was intriguing, but the relationship with Payton and Blake was too juvenile for my taste. There was a lot of back and forth, with assumptions being a big part of how they would react to circumstance within their relationship! It became to exhausting!

I liked the concept of assisted suicide and college students use of drugs to focus, but the angst between the main characters was not worth the aggravation.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 196 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.